PL W FA Premier League

Manchester United 2:1 Tottenham Hotspur

Post-match discussion

Wed, 04 December 2019

noodlehair

"It's like..."
- Rashford is fantastic. I mean he's destroyed Tottenham in that first half, then won the game again in the second.

- McTominay has become such an important player for us. When he's in our midfield we can actually move the ball to the forwards quickly. when he isn't it takes us 5 minutes to pointlessly move the ball sideways. If you look at all of our recent performances with him in the team, we look like a good side. If you look at the recent oones without him, we look like a bag of shite that randomly has a few good young attacking players, but who are pointless because no one gives them the ball.

- In general the above is our problem. Our attack is very good but too reliant on one player. Our midfield is literally completely reliant on one player who this time last year looked lost and was being used as a makeshift centreback.

- If our defence was actually capable of not crumbling under the first hint of pressure or average balls into the box, the above would still be enough to have us in or near the top four.

- I don't like or understand Spurs. They started the game more interested in kicking people than trying to not get thrashed. Winks could have gone off for that tackle on James. It was pointless and petty and dangerous. Then Sanchez tackles Fred by shoving his studs into Fred's knee. What's the aim of this stuff? It doesn't help them win. It's playground stuff where the "hard" kid needs to prove how "hard" he is constantly so no one realises he's a pussy and beats him up. The goal was also handball. I don't care if it was a good goal, it clearly hits his hand and he's also a bellend, so do your job and disallow it. All in all they were rubbish. They already look like end of second season Mourinho. Playing terribly and somehow getting results most of the time. I hope thy progress staight to third season Mourinho by the new year.

- Feck off Amazon

Spotkick

Did not like the defensive subs, they started to improve rapidly. Other than that,Well done Ole,Well done OldTrafford and well done Manchester United. Well chuffed with this one

Gator Nate

Anyone notice the power behind our passes? Seems like something we’ve been working on, it was a little odd but when it works it’s very effective. Obviously requires precision otherwise you’re giving possession away.
Yes, I pointed out a few matches ago that it appeared that they were making a lot of planned passes but the receivers weren't in position, kept happening all through that game. Today, players were in position and things started humming. Success breeds confidence. Now if we can just finish off more drives, we'll really turn the corner.

MetoTTT

Happy with this win of course but still frustrated after the 2 last games! Glad our wasted chances didn't cost us again!

mu4c_20le

Enjoy your win over an appalling Tottenham before you're back headstanding in mud on Saturday :)
Hindsight is wonderful isn't it? You wouldn't have said this before the match started given our recent form and theirs after Jose took over.

FreakyJim

90% of teams play better football than us
I don't think there was a worse side than Leicester at OT this season. Funny that

Dante

Average bang
We should play big six teams every week.
Beat Chelsea twice, beat Tottenham, beat Leicester, the only team to take points off Liverpool, drew against Arsenal (but should have won).

We're much better when the players have some big bad enemy to focus on.

As Ole (and Mourinho before him) have said, the issue with this squad is mentality. The quality is there, but the manager's main job will be to fix our self-belief and also our desire to give a good account of ourselves every time we step out on the pitch.

meninred

i wish someone explain if Manutd did any tactics to make Kane, Son ,Mora and co. quite today.

Will Singh

Dead Cat Bounce

So in the finical world this would be classed as a dead cat bounce, it's when the market has been down and you see a spike and think things are looking good only to go back down.

We can't keep judging Ole on he's last performance we need to look at the overall picture and the picture is looking dim. The way some react is like if we beat Citeh they'll be saying give Ole a new contract.

Happy we won but it's just false hope....Ole Out.

TheReligion

Abusive
Dead Cat Bounce

So in the finical world this would be classed as a dead cat bounce, it's when the market has been down and you see a spike and think things are looking good only to go back down.

We can't keep judging Ole on he's last performance we need to look at the overall picture and the picture is looking dim. The way some react is like if we beat Citeh they'll be saying give Ole a new contract.

He'll be gone in the summer Will Singh. Just enjoy wins like this in the meantime and live a happy, less negative existence where possible!

Tickle Lad

Supports
Leicester City
Hindsight is wonderful isn't it? You wouldn't have said this before the match started given our recent form and theirs after Jose took over.
Tottenham barely scuffed 3 wins against mediocre opposition before coming to yourselves, they had hardly worked themselves into an unstoppable force. Confidence was still extremely low.

The way your players always get themselves up for big matches is impressive, a sort-of-talented, young and therefore patchy side that whilst capable of horrible lows versus smaller teams that they are less motivated to play against, will produce to a decent level against "top" sides.

So sending a low confidence Tottenham away to 75,000 home fans cheering on a young, energetic side that will inevitably perform to a decent level, was only going to produce one result.

Bear in mind I'm 100% objective, I thought both teams were really poor, the only difference was you ran more and had Rashford.

mariachi-19

I may be the devil, but i'm not a monster
Dead Cat Bounce

Problem is, up until McSauce got injured, the stock had started looking quite good. Once he has returned, we start winning again.

If you want to throw financial terms around, atleast back them with solid evidence that you understand the application of said terms because a chart graph would show the last two draws and a loss as a dip from an upward trajectory. In fact, if you included an analytical approach by considering the response to certain circumstances in those two draws against our form at the end of last season, the trajectory probably slowed by still on the up.

Alexit

Now I'm seeing why we bought Fred. About time! Good performance from him.

Foxbatt

By all accounts it was a good win and I am so happy we won. We seem to raise our games against better opponents but lose against smaller teams.
Now we need to keep winning and if we keep winning then Ole may get his chance.
But after winning and then we lose or don't win our next two or three games it's back to square one.

Nevilles.Wear.Prada

Supports
JDT
Dead Cat Bounce

People at a point that they will take any sort of bounce. Its post game thread. People understandably immediately high after winning against a former boss and cnut of a team. Also, we already have many #oleout threads. Jeez, let us have it for a while will you please.

SweetRightFoot

The game that ended United's season. Not getting rid of him now, but as we all know it counts for absolutely nothing.

And no, the 5th win of the season is not supposed to make me happy.
and that's why you're not a very good football fan. Sorry mate, that's just the way things are. I suggest you sort out whatevers keeping you so miserable in your home life before you come back to footy.

justboy68

Great game. We're game raisers right now though. Need to put this level of intensity in against all the teams and we'll be all right.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Just goes to show the potential of the side with a semi functioning midfield. Happy days. Now lets hope for no more injuries and a few midfield signings in January and we could have a far better 2nd half of the season.

Mindhunter

- Rashford is fantastic. I mean he's destroyed Tottenham in that first half, then won the game again in the second.

- McTominay has become such an important player for us. When he's in our midfield we can actually move the ball to the forwards quickly. when he isn't it takes us 5 minutes to pointlessly move the ball sideways. If you look at all of our recent performances with him in the team, we look like a good side. If you look at the recent oones without him, we look like a bag of shite that randomly has a few good young attacking players, but who are pointless because no one gives them the ball.

- In general the above is our problem. Our attack is very good but too reliant on one player. Our midfield is literally completely reliant on one player who this time last year looked lost and was being used as a makeshift centreback.

- If our defence was actually capable of not crumbling under the first hint of pressure or average balls into the box, the above would still be enough to have us in or near the top four.

- I don't like or understand Spurs. They started the game more interested in kicking people than trying to not get thrashed. Winks could have gone off for that tackle on James. It was pointless and petty and dangerous. Then Sanchez tackles Fred by shoving his studs into Fred's knee. What's the aim of this stuff? It doesn't help them win. It's playground stuff where the "hard" kid needs to prove how "hard" he is constantly so no one realises he's a pussy and beats him up. The goal was also handball. I don't care if it was a good goal, it clearly hits his hand and he's also a bellend, so do your job and disallow it. All in all they were rubbish. They already look like end of second season Mourinho. Playing terribly and somehow getting results most of the time. I hope thy progress staight to third season Mourinho by the new year.

- Feck off Amazon
Agree with almost everything except the last one. Spurs were always dirty, it just didn't come to the forefront often because it was one of the things they did. Under Mourinho, it may end up being the only thing they do.

They were utterly listless today and got played off the park by a crew of ragtag players and inexperienced youngsters. The big names didn't fire at all and the scoreboard looked respectable only due to our profligacy in front of goal. One of the Lingard or James chances should have been buried.

Also, Mourinho can claim all magnanimity in defeat but he was passing sly and IMO disrespectful comments as a pundit. I am sure he would have rubbed it in had he won the game.

Devil may care

Rashford was in inspired form in the first half and it was a pretty good performance from the team throughout the first 45 minutes, at least from most of the players. Second half we were a lot more patchy on the ball but we kept the energy level up which is often our weakness in second halves.

I get why many aren't getting giddy like a pig in shit though, I think the players were up against a manager that constantly threw them under the bus and it fueled the performance, but the Aston Villa performance was only a few days ago. I honestly think we've just papered over the cracks but lets see if we can build on this and get some consistency.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
Since this is the era of false dawns, i wouldn't raise my hopes just yet

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
I mentioned before the match, it's a big game and the players have something to prove against Jose and it'll be a good performance from us.

I'm honestly very puzzled by how Ole seems to always figure his way tactically in matches against the bigger clubs but somehow always reverts back to the safe option in the 'easier' games which always backfires on him.

cyril C

Can we play like this every week, please?
One way to achieve this. Hire all the bottom clubs managers and sack them all after every loss. Soon we will be facing visiting ex-managers and players like Rashford will be playing like tiger.

cyril C

I mentioned before the match, it's a big game and the players have something to prove against Jose and it'll be a good performance from us.

I'm honestly very puzzled by how Ole seems to always figure his way tactically in matches against the bigger clubs but somehow always reverts back to the safe option in the 'easier' games which always backfires on him.
Simple answer to this is that Utd is now a counter-attacking team, or simply put a 1-trick pony. We can only counter hence effective against top teams who are comfortable with possession. We are however headless against bottom clubs because they are just happy to sit back and go for a draw, which we can't afford. We are still terrible on set pieces, both attacking and defending, and BTW finally have some teeth in the park with a welcome back McTom.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
Why even join a Manchester United forum if you're going to act like this?
Dude let them have fun.. this season not gonna happen with their nothing club every year when their best players inevitably jump ships for bigger clubs. Ignore small time posts like these.

SteveW

Dead Cat Bounce

Don't lie

SteveW

Problem is, up until McSauce got injured, the stock had started looking quite good. Once he has returned, we start winning again.

If you want to throw financial terms around, atleast back them with solid evidence that you understand the application of said terms because a chart graph would show the last two draws and a loss as a dip from an upward trajectory. In fact, if you included an analytical approach by considering the response to certain circumstances in those two draws against our form at the end of last season, the trajectory probably slowed by still on the up.
Someone who's actually been paying attention. Nice.

ghagua

Very good performance and a great result. We should somehow get Maureen to manage our opposition every week. Seemed to have the effect of waiving something red in front of a raging bull. Outstanding games from Rashford and Fred.

SteveW

Tottenham barely scuffed 3 wins against mediocre opposition before coming to yourselves, they had hardly worked themselves into an unstoppable force. Confidence was still extremely low.

The way your players always get themselves up for big matches is impressive, a sort-of-talented, young and therefore patchy side that whilst capable of horrible lows versus smaller teams that they are less motivated to play against, will produce to a decent level against "top" sides.

So sending a low confidence Tottenham away to 75,000 home fans cheering on a young, energetic side that will inevitably perform to a decent level, was only going to produce one result.

Bear in mind I'm 100% objective, I thought both teams were really poor, the only difference was you ran more and had Rashford.
I'm happy for Leicester to be honest. Srivaddhanaprabha's death was a tragedy. It's nice to see Leicester doing well in the aftermath. I don't begrudge them and enjoyed when they won the league.

Being honest it probably wont last. Your best player will retire in a couple of years. Maddison will probably join us and Rodgers will leave as soon as a big club comes looking for him. I'd suggest you enjoy your little bit of fun while it lasts and try to regain some humility. Because chances are both of those really poor teams will be towering over yours very soon and for a long time into the future

TheRedHearted

I think it’s possible the squad likes very intense instruction. Something tells me the lesser teams have less of an identity or we just know less about and the team looks lost. Then comes around a big team and Ole knows how to beat them. Am I crazy to think so?

Tickle Lad

Supports
Leicester City
I'm happy for Leicester to be honest. Srivaddhanaprabha's death was a tragedy. It's nice to see Leicester doing well in the aftermath. I don't begrudge them and enjoyed when they won the league.

Being honest it probably wont last. Your best player will retire in a couple of years. Maddison will probably join us and Rodgers will leave as soon as a big club comes looking for him. I'd suggest you enjoy your little bit of fun while it lasts and try to regain some humility. Because chances are both of those really poor teams will be towering over yours very soon and for a long time into the future
Very narrow minded opinion.

Zoom out and look at overall trajectories under ownership. There lies the best tool for forecasting the future.

Redpimp

Dead cat bounce, thats all i can draw from that performance

Last edited:

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Dead Cat Bounce

Dead cat bounce really? United's stock has broken it's a downward trend and has been on a strong run in the past week. The future is looking quite bright for them with Pogba getting close to coming back and the three money signings have proven to be great investments. I mean - apart from the football United still remain in very strong financial health regardless - which is what the 'finical world' looks at anyway.

Realistically, a foundation of Scott and Fred for Pogba to roam around in front of will be devastating if Rashford also continues his form.

SteveW

Very narrow minded opinion.

Zoom out and look at overall trajectories under ownership. There lies the best tool for forecasting the future.
Zoom out and you'll realise this little period in Leicesters history is a blip on the radar. A nice blip but a blip all the same. :)

Redpimp

Dead cat bounce really? United's stock has broken it's a downward trend and has been on a strong run in the past week. The future is looking quite bright for them with Pogba getting close to coming back and the three money signings have proven to be great investments. I mean - apart from the football United still remain in very strong financial health regardless - which is what the 'finical world' looks at anyway.

Realistically, a foundation of Scott and Fred for Pogba to roam around in front of will be devastating if Rashford also continues his form.
What if injuries struck to one of those midfielders or Rashford cannot keep his hot streak? All very likely more than the ones you said..

Man of the Match

Marcus Rashford image Marcus Rashford 74% of 443 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

6.6 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 430 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Tottenham win
  • Draw