PL W FA Premier League

Manchester United 2:1 Tottenham Hotspur

Post-match discussion

Wed, 04 December 2019

joeunited

Damn, had hospital early in the morning so couldn't wait to see at match at 2.30 a.m. but set the alarm for the last 30 mins.

The last 30 mins I saw was Fred show. Now seem the concensus is we were really good. Gotta see the rerun.

Castia

Not only a win but we played alright. Should have been over at HT really.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout

misterparsley

Getting that early goal was huge. We often start games well, are on top, but don't get the goal we perhaps deserve. And you can see the belief seeping out of our play. But last night we got the goal and kept playing well for most of the game.

You cant underestimate the effect of some confidence. Hope we take it with us on Saturday and get a result at City

fps

It’s not really been commented on which is strange given how big a deal it is - what did we think of Mason Greenwood’s performance? I thought he was mobile, intelligent and took up good positions.

Sterling Archer

10% of our fans believe we will lose a home game by 3 or 5 goals ? Based on what is that even realistic ? It could happen - but it isn't very realistic
:lol: oh come on. don't tell me you just started watching United. We lost to Spurs three nil at home just last season.

Skåre Willoch

It’s not really been commented on which is strange given how big a deal it is - what did we think of Mason Greenwood’s performance? I thought he was mobile, intelligent and took up good positions.
He had a decent game for sure.
A bit anonymous and careful , and not really providing a proper threat. But as you say, he took up good positions, was very mobile and had a good understanding of James and Rashfords movements. Mature performance. But he's got to find that killer instinct.

Falcow

We have better movement across the frontline without Martial, and better tempo to our passing without Pogba. That's why, for once, we were able to dominate a team for the full 90 minutes, despite the opposition sitting deep and denying us space.

Don't get me wrong, though. Pogba and Martial are our two most talented players. They just happen to be bad at the things that elevate the team dynamics. Both are magical talents, with an unmagical ability to drag the people around them down on their bad days.

This performance was all about Rashford, Greenwood and James buzzing about like flies; and Fred, McTominay and Lingard passing the ball on quickly (although, to be honest, uncreatively).

But a bit like Liverpool, you don't need creativity in midfield if you have simple passing allied with constant intelligent motion up front.

I hate to say it, but there were a lot of similiraties to Klopp's gameplan today. The cnut.
I agree with this. Martial's lack of movement is problematic as is pogba's lack of tempo. I think if we play pogba in that number 10 position then he will have no choice but to get with it in terms of a high tempo especially with fred and mctominay behind him....but i could be wrong.

As an aside does anyone have the stats on distance covered by fred last few games? He seems to be everywhere, his passing let's him down sometimes but his work rate is becoming keane like.

fps

He had a decent game for sure.
A bit anonymous and careful , and not really providing a proper threat. But as you say, he took up good positions, was very mobile and had a good understanding of James and Rashfords movements. Mature performance. But he's got to find that killer instinct.
Yes mature’s the word I wasn’t worried about him as I can be about Williams and similar. Got a good shot off and just fitted into the team ethos nicely.

Dr Fink

Not buying that at all.

Most of the time he was double marked and he created a lot of chances from very little space. By the end of the game, he was blowing out of his arse. A good goal scoring record against the top teams. His perceived attitude is very subjective
I'm not selling it.

That's my take on him over a lot of games this season. You have your opinion and I have mine.

One game and the "love" is back for him. The first one was a goalkeeping howler, but to be fair he got his shot off on target. A great effort hitting the bar when he was having his purple patch. His wide play was poor end product in my opinion, bar the burst at the start of the second half for the penalty. His attitude is still an issue for me and it appears more often than not. It tells me a lot about this current United team that we have to rely on him so much.

I prefer to mention McTominay's outstanding performance and valuble game time for Greenwood who did not look out of place. Fred was decent too with someone next to him sharing the load. The back four were quite dodgy too.

The home crowd are still with Ole for now. Fine margins - if Spurs had won it may have been different. As for ole's subs............WTF!

The Irish Connection

Great win and performance. Delighted for Fred and Rashford. January is important to get at least one player in. Whatever you say about ole as a manager in the long term, the board didn’t support him properly in the summer.

Jeffthered

It was a welcome win and performance. It was , and these observations are just my opinions, a strange game in some ways. I think the main things for me were, that we played as if there was little to lose.. which is a statement of how things had become. The first goal provided a sense of relief that allowed the players to relax. Not sure how much was momentum, or tactics... but wetake what we can right now, because I still do not think that Ole knows..However, Rashford produced the best all-round performance I have seen from him in a while - he led the line, and inspired his team. Truly inspired his team, and this is the Man Utd (forward) way. He kept his game simple, direct and he was dangerous throughout. This gave others confidence and a sharpness that we often lack. That is what I want from him. No silly tricks. Just play. Lead the line. Look at Aguero, Kane.. Vardy.. even Abraham at Chelsea, they all do a job , in their own respective playing styles, for their team. Rashford does not always do this, so maybe he can learn a little from this performance. Interestingly, neither James or Lindgard were that effective (James I understand...he has been our brightest spark this season) . It wasn't a Penalty but these things balance out over a season.

McT played well, and he is an important player for this current squad. Fred was ok, but I am not convinced as others about his performance. Greenwood is a good footballer, I like him, he has a bit of natural football intelligence (not silly tricks, or just running excitedly on the break..) . Martial should be worried.

Tottenham seemed a little surprised and dare I say it for a Mourinho team, unprepared and predictable. There was little form to their play, and their more direct approach became easy to deal with. I was surprised by how little they offered.

I do worry that we still lack ball-players, (who are available) who can control a game. Ole talks about 'too many drawn matches..' and that isn't a coincidence, It is because we do not have the players to responsibly manage games.

But, I welcome the win, for sure. Ole needed that. Badly.

The Brown Bull

It's Coming Home.
Delighted we won. We needed a win badly.
Let's be honest though, if the return of Jose didn't drag an improved effort from us nothing will.
Let's see how we do at the weekend.
Good to have Scotty back.

Livvie

Executive Manager being kept sane only by her madn
Scout
Rashford looked very driven. If it was personal because he still holds a grudge against Jose, I wish he'd apply it every game - he was awesome.

It does make you question whether the players are more to blame for this year than Ole is. We're very quick to suggest it's the players when teams put in a great performance against us, then go back to being average.

Livvie

Scout
New rhetoric?? Rashford played game after game under Jose
I know. But there were games he wasn't played in. I'm only surmising, but Marcus certainly had a different look last night, including his facial expressions.

Tosicsleftpeg

Great result and a good performance. Even DDG looked really safe toward the end and put the defence at ease which was a real relief.

Fred was my MOTM he was brilliant all night bar one or two loose passes, he covered masses of ground and distributed the ball brilliantly.

Pace Abuser

I know. But there were games he wasn't played in. I'm only surmising, but Marcus certainly had a different look last night, including his facial expressions.
We really need a sub forum for the body language experts :lol:

DoomSlayer

New rhetoric?? Rashford played game after game under Jose
Sure, that's why we got an ageing Sanchez in January and Mourinho wanted to play him, Lukaku and Mata as the front 3.

Rashford was playing under Mourinho because he understood how precious he is to the fanbase, but I'm sure behind closed doors he was bashing him non-stop. No wonder Rashford's brother had a pop at Mourinho after the game yesterday.

bonothom

Good performance first half. Should have been 2-0 up at least. The defending for their goal was embarrassing by Fred and Young. Second half conceded too much possession although they didn't create that much. But this just papers over the cracks. I would rather United had lost all games against the better teams Chelsea, Leicester, Liverpool, Arsenal, Spurs and beaten all the crap they've failed to beat this season. If that was the case United would have 30 points and be in 4th place.

Livvie

Scout
We really need a sub forum for the body language experts :lol:
I'm not claiming to be a body language experts. It doesn't take an expert to see a determination on the face of Rashford last night that has been missing for a lot of the season.

Maticmaker

For me the main thing about last nights victory was that everyone of the United players were seen to be trying to do their best. What they lacked in skill they made up with effort. What they lacked in experience was made up for in enthusiasm, if they tried something and it didn't work, they still tried it again, which sometimes with some players its not always the case!

When Spurs equalised there was a 'wobble' for a few minutes and for once half time came at the right time, allowing no doubt Ole to put emphasis in his half time talk on how we could have been 3 or 4 goals to the good, before they equalised.

I am pleased Mason Greenwood got a run out from the start, his positioning in the box is the best we have but he needs to develop his stamina and his timing on when to arrive in the box and we saw a lot of useful signs of development in that respect; although overall he is still at a raw stage outside the box and playing from midfield, but it will come. McTomany (injuries apart) is in my opinion going to be a key man for us for many years to come, if Ole wants to build a midfield around Scott he would get my endorsement.

Good win, lots of positives, now lets get at City at weekend, play with no fear as we did last night.

JakeC

Last Man Standing 2 champion 2020/21
I'm not selling it.

That's my take on him over a lot of games this season. You have your opinion and I have mine.

One game and the "love" is back for him. The first one was a goalkeeping howler, but to be fair he got his shot off on target. A great effort hitting the bar when he was having his purple patch. His wide play was poor end product in my opinion, bar the burst at the start of the second half for the penalty. His attitude is still an issue for me and it appears more often than not. It tells me a lot about this current United team that we have to rely on him so much.

I prefer to mention McTominay's outstanding performance and valuble game time for Greenwood who did not look out of place. Fred was decent too with someone next to him sharing the load. The back four were quite dodgy too.

The home crowd are still with Ole for now. Fine margins - if Spurs had won it may have been different. As for ole's subs............WTF!
Give it a rest would you.

Rashfords attitude is arguably one of his best attributes, and his work rate this year has seen a marked improvement, and I'd hazard a guess in saying the stats would agree with me. its early December and he's a goal away from a record season. Not sure what more you want from a 22 year old who's played under 3 managers all wanting different things from him in 4 years.

Also, our tactics were working last night, be it at a fine margin. More radical subs would have been a huge risk.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
Delighted we won. We needed a win badly.
Let's be honest though, if the return of Jose didn't drag an improved effort from us nothing will.
Let's see how we do at the weekend.
Good to have Scotty back.
Why does Rashford hold a grudge again Jose?
Jose played Rashford loads of times when he was here.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Why does Rashford hold a grudge again Jose?
Jose played Rashford loads of times when he was here.
Did he have a grudge? He did once say that Rashford was in a ‘sad’ state

Jose doesn’t have the patience with young players, except at Porto

Unlikely lad

Possibly the best game I've seen Rashford play. Overdone comparison, but shades of 07 Ronaldo.

Hughie77

I've watched it today, and I thought spurs were in and out of the game for long periods, big plus with Mctom back, the boys got some energy about him. Fred was better when he was in there, and Rashford showed how good he can be. Much needed lift before Saturday's Derby.

USREDEVIL

First half of the game felt like Old United. Absolutely all out attacking and defending. Seriously wanted this game. Second half a bit subdued but overall really enjoyable to watch!

Rish Sawhney

I'm not selling it.

Not all opinion is equally valid.

Dr Fink

Give it a rest would you.

Rashfords attitude is arguably one of his best attributes, and his work rate this year has seen a marked improvement, and I'd hazard a guess in saying the stats would agree with me. its early December and he's a goal away from a record season. Not sure what more you want from a 22 year old who's played under 3 managers all wanting different things from him in 4 years.

Also, our tactics were working last night, be it at a fine margin. More radical subs would have been a huge risk.
More for my money - his salary.

Consistency. Not sulking when team mates don’t pass to him. A better end product to his team mates when cutting in.

Stats great. Thanks for telling me what I knew. Tell me your take on Ole’s subs then? The tactics worked when we were 2-1 up did they? I think not. All those around me were distinctly nervous towards the end.
Look, no point in bickering, we all want the same thing - a better performing team. A better than recent performance last night but Spurs were poor. Things could be looking up, but we still need change.

United Hobbit

Someone had obviously said something to Rashford as his social media post said something about doubters just spurring him on, I thought he was one of Jose's more favoured players so not sure who the "doubters" are

gerdm07

Thinks we should have kept Pereira
I agree. He didn't have a lot of touches but most were spot on. I think he had one misplaced pass the whole night. His cushion passes and one-touch passes are already better than Rashford and Martial's. And I don't know how he got that shot off and through legs, but that's a sign of a true goal scorer.

I just watched the match last night and didn't know the result (self-imposed black out). That was great fun. The score really should have been 3-1, or 4-1 or 3-0. It's too bad we didn't score another as that would have calmed a lot of nerves the last 15 minutes. I really thought we were going to concede another late goal and lose points.

If we get a CM and Pogba back I think we should loan Andreas out and then hope to get a couple million for him. Otherwise, right now he goes on a free next summer. I'm pretty sure Ole put him on to KEEP the ball and replace the Greenwood's tired legs. I think he lost the ball the 3 of the first 4 times he was passed the ball. And each one was his own doing. One bad first touch, one thinking he could dribble around a quicker defender, and one getting easily muscled off the ball. I started screaming at the TV. I'm done with him.

Everyone played well. People forget the football is the ultimate team game. If there is one poor player, one poor link in the chain, a good team can overcome it. If there are 2 or 3 poor links, and especially if the links are in midfield, no team can produce good results consistently. That's what Ole is dealing with most matches, 2 or 3 poor players that can't do a job. This is why I still back him and look forward to seeing the team play well when we have enough good players.

Valuedrug

Good to win a game with a bit of spark for once, especially against Mourinho. Happy that he didn’t get to smirk through what would definitely have been false modesty after beating us at home. My god Spurs were meek though. Didn’t see that coming at all.

Have to say though, this forum is so bipolar. I suppose it’s different people posting, or at least I hope so. Obviously it’s good to win, but someone comparing Fred to Edgar Davids? Boggles the mind.

Ole’s post-match doesn’t sit well with me, and just confirms my picture of a weak manager. I think he should go, so that is what it is, but he is so obsequious with the press. Just basking in those pat on the back type questions, it’s a bit sad. And the way he talks about playing carefree, like you’re back home in the backyard etc. It feels like he is installing an underdog mentality in the squad. Maybe it’s just where they’re at now, but I can see how that kind of talk could put off more senior or ambitious players.

And that mentality or identity will not build a consistent team, comfortable with being under pressure to create and dominate week after week.

Im red2

Prophet of Doom
In the begining(time), God created the Heavens(spa
Great result and a good performance. Even DDG looked really safe toward the end and put the defence at ease which was a real relief.

Fred was my MOTM he was brilliant all night bar one or two loose passes, he covered masses of ground and distributed the ball brilliantly.
He seems to be settling at last, hopefully he can continue to progress. He has a great engine.

Man of the Match

Marcus Rashford image Marcus Rashford 74% of 443 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

6.6 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 430 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Tottenham win
  • Draw