PL D FA Premier League

Tottenham Hotspur 1:1 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Fri, 19 June 2020

Karlos PFC

Really? Maguire would be a starter for almost any club in the world as he is one of the best CBs. He has his weaknesses for sure, but he has many strengths to his game. Winning headers, positioning, ball handling and leader. If he were as bad as you seem to think why would Ole make him captain?
Maguire is a decent player with some good attributes like you mention headers, positioning, ball handling. And if I had to guess (obviously we don't know what's going on in the lockers), I'd say that Ole made him captain cause he see's him as someone in the mould of Steve Bruce or Peter Schmeichel or maybe to an extent Roy Keane. Like a commanding figure I mean.

But for sure he wouldn't be a starter for any club in the world, I don't have anything against him. I just don't rate him high.

I have high hopes for Tuanzebe. I think he will be a lot better than a mediocre CB like Maguire.

gerdm07

Thinks we should have kept Pereira
Maguire is a decent player with some good attributes like you mention headers, positioning, ball handling. And if I had to guess (obviously we don't know what's going on in the lockers), I'd say that Ole made him captain cause he see's him as someone in the mould of Steve Bruce or Peter Schmeichel or maybe to an extent Roy Keane. Like a commanding figure I mean.

But for sure he wouldn't be a starter for any club in the world, I don't have anything against him. I just don't rate him high.

I have high hopes for Tuanzebe. I think he will be a lot better than a mediocre CB like Maguire.
I'll play this game. Please name 5 clubs that Maguire would not start. I don't follow the other leagues to know enough about the clubs, I think most will agree that he starts for all the PL teams, even Liverpool.

Craig Ward

I'll play this game. Please name 5 clubs that Maguire would not start. I don't follow the other leagues to know enough about the clubs, I think most will agree that he starts for all the PL teams, even Liverpool.
Liverpool
Man City
Bayern Munich
Real Madrid
Athletico Madrid
Barcelona

I like Maguire, but he's insanely over priced and over hyped.

He's nothing more than a solid CB. He's nowhere near World Class

gerdm07

Liverpool
Man City
Bayern Munich
Real Madrid
Athletico Madrid
Barcelona

We'll have to disagree because for me he starts for Liverpool, Man City (you do know they have had trouble with CBs this season) and Barcelona. I'm not sure about the rest.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
Not sure why it’s being discussed in this thread but Maguire walks into every team in the world easily. That’s not to say he would be the best CB in all those sides (e.g. Liverpool) but he would easily get in as the second central defender.

Craig Ward

We'll have to disagree because for me he starts for Liverpool, Man City (you do know they have had trouble with CBs this season) and Barcelona. I'm not sure about the rest.
He plays better on the left side of CB, which is where Virgil is better from. He doesn't displace Virgil. He plays ahead of Matip and Lovren yes, but i dont think Klopp would pick him ahead of Gomez. Gomez seems to fit what Liverpool do better.

Likewise to City, Laporte plays off the left CB position and he is also better than Maguire. You could argue Maguire would play ahead of the others, but again i dont think he's a good enough footballer to fit into a Pep team.

Pigue, Lenglet and Umtiti when fit are all better than Maguire

I do rate Maguire, but we really have to accept he isnt within the best in the world. He's close to being in the elite bracket, but he's just below for me

gerdm07

He plays better on the left side of CB, which is where Virgil is better from. He doesn't displace Virgil. He plays ahead of Matip and Lovren yes, but i dont think Klopp would pick him ahead of Gomez. Gomez seems to fit what Liverpool do better.

Likewise to City, Laporte plays off the left CB position and he is also better than Maguire. You could argue Maguire would play ahead of the others, but again i dont think he's a good enough footballer to fit into a Pep team.

Pigue, Lenglet and Umtiti when fit are all better than Maguire

I do rate Maguire, but we really have to accept he isnt within the best in the world. He's close to being in the elite bracket, but he's just below for me
I do accept that he is not the best in the world, he is very good and can help us compete for titles. If he wouldn't fit in a Pep team why did City offer him a generous deal?

Liverpool
Man City
Bayern Munich
Real Madrid
Athletico Madrid
Barcelona

C'mon he would definaltey start at City.

Man of the Match

Bruno Fernandes image Bruno Fernandes 55% of 301 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

5.5 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 336 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Tottenham win
  • Draw