PL L FA Premier League

Manchester United 1:6 Tottenham Hotspur

Post-match discussion

Sun, 04 October 2020

GoldanoGraham

We need to change the system as it’s just not working - we are continually overrun in the middle of the pitch. We need to use Fred as the holding player as he gives more cover for the shite behind him. Matic has had his chance. We need to incorporate Van de Beek. Suggest Pogba on the left, VDB on the right and Bruno centrally in front - then go with 2 up top - there is no point playing 3 as we cannot get the ball into them enough, we don’t get any width. Martial is now out so time to change it up

Wilt

Could be complete nonsense but a guest on the ‘United Stand’ channel said apparently Bruno and Matic had a fight at half time, which is why they were both taken off. Wouldn’t be surprised.
Wonder if Bruno got a penalty out of it ;)

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
Humiliation. I'm still sad, really sad.
I am at the point when I neither feel sad nor happy. It's always 1 step forward 2 step backwards for us. The fact that the defeat did little to nothing to change my mood says it all really.

Ed9

The first thing that came to my mind was this isn't Man United. The second was this is Men Disabled. The players looked like they were tripping balls.

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
So Liverpool lose 7 -2; but they were still trying from what I saw. After the 6th or 7th goal van Dyke looked like he was going to kill someone (on his own team) - for comparison Maguire just looked dejected and beaten - like the will to live had left him.

Liverpool were angry - we were simply broken. There is an attitude problem. Go down fighting - but not kicking people up in the air like Shaw did. Run, hustle, win a 50-50 ball -- we did none of that. Pogba pulled out of a gently 50-50 ball. Can you imagine Roy Keane or anyone of the class of 92 pulling out of an easy tackle when you are trailing 6-1 ? That is what makes me think something is deeply wrong.

Evra said that the players see no investment, they see the owners / directors don't really care and this has translated to the team. I think I agree.
What we really need to know is whether this was a single horrible day for Maguire or he doesn't care enough. Anybody can have one horrible game (granted, his was extra extra bad) but there should not be anybody in this club who didn't feel dead inside after today's game.

Case in point: many of us are 100% certain that Pogba was not too devastated. All of us are also certain that Bruno was, despite not being our academy product that guy is a true fan and gives his all for the club.

Players who are with us for themselves and not because they would bleed for this club should go. Simple as that.

I want to know which side of this our captain is at.

P.S. Evra is not helping. He should shut the feck up sometimes. Today's horror had nothing to do with us not buying Sancho. That's a major load of horseshit

Strelok

I am at the point when I neither feel sad nor happy. It's always 1 step forward 2 step backwards for us. The fact that the defeat did little to nothing to change my mood says it all really.
I see.

I'm used to be angry when we lost, usually at someone. Maybe one of our players, or their players, or the manager. Now I'm just sad. We're no longer Utd, and it'll be a very very long time till we're back, if we would.

I've come to the reality that as long as the Glazers and co. are here, no manager in the world would bring us back. Or no manager who would would come to our club. Everything is just wrong at this club. Our structure, our purpose, our ambition, our culture, our players. Even SAF I'd doubt he could if he had to start his career under those circumstances.

The Brown Bull

It's Coming Home.
I have been a United fan since 1968.Over 50 years. I have seen us win it all and lose it all. Relegation in 74, just 6 years after winning the European Cup didn't feel as bad as this.
Losing the title we had all but won in 92 wasn't as bad as this, and we lost that title to Leeds! We lost in at Anfield!
Losing the title in 95 at West Ham. Wasn't as bad as this. At West Ham!
Losing the title at home to Arsenal in 2002 wasn't as bad.
Losing 1~4 at home to Liverpool wasn't as bad as this.
Losing 1~6 at home to City wasn't as bad as this.
Because all those other years we had a team, we fought.We had pride.
Not this lot. This lot are talented but they are a mess.

The Brown Bull

It's Coming Home.
What we really need to know is whether this was a single horrible day for Maguire or he doesn't care enough. Anybody can have one horrible game (granted, his was extra extra bad) but there should not be anybody in this club who didn't feel dead inside after today's game.

Case in point: many of us are 100% certain that Pogba was not too devastated. All of us are also certain that Bruno was, despite not being our academy product that guy is a true fan and gives his all for the club.

Players who are with us for themselves and not because they would bleed for this club should go. Simple as that.

I want to know which side of this our captain is at.

P.S. Evra is not helping. He should shut the feck up sometimes. Today's horror had nothing to do with us not buying Sancho. That's a major load of horseshit
Evra has more than earned the right to voice his opinion.
Not buying Sancho wasn't the reason we lost 1~6 today but it is a symptom of the malaise that has us where we are.
We came 2nd in a one horse race.

tombombadil

The team look totally mentally phased out. No fight in them. No resilience. No self belief. Neville got it right. Spineless.

Ole really needs to gather the group, isolate them, batten down the hatches and start building a siege mentality.

Ban them from social media and online news if he has to. Mentally reset the team and focus them on the next game.

Red_toad

I still can't fathom the sending off, you elbow someone who then touches you on the chin and somehow stay on the pitch?

Gutless performance and is going to be a difficult season, we lack leaders and lack defenders who can defend and midfielders who can track runners.

RedDevil@84

From a refereeing point of view, the Martial card was stupid, given the replays clearly showed Lamela elbowing him and the falling clutching his face after Martial touched him.
Then for some strange reason Bailly got away for a stamp he did on purpose. That was a stonewall red

moodyred

I believe OGS said we do not need reinforcement for our defence. I really want to know what he thinks now.

RedBanker

I love you Ole
The amateurish behaviour runs deep from players to manager. An experienced pro like Martial not only deciding to stay up after receiving an elbow, but also indulge in retribution, something he knew would not go unpunished. You do everything in the book to make your team have a better shot at winning. And what did OGS come up with post match? An ideological rant about good behaviour, bread and water and other gibberish. Pathetic.

celia

I just don't get why the referee didn't watch the replays before giving a red card, aren't other referees supposed to watch and tell him if needed?

It is kind of weird the best option would have been Martial theatrically showing he was hurt.

Once he was sent off, there was nearly no chance to turn it over though I entertained briefly the hope the team would be incensed to fight back.

VivaRonaldo85

The amateurish behaviour runs deep from players to manager. An experienced pro like Martial not only deciding to stay up after receiving an elbow, but also indulge in retribution, something he knew would not go unpunished. You do everything in the book to make your team have a better shot at winning. And what did OGS come up with post match? An ideological rant about good behaviour, bread and water and other gibberish. Pathetic.
It’s quite amazing to think if Martial goes down holding his face after the Lamela ‘elbow’, Spurs almost certainly go down to 10 men and the game is turned on its head. Not saying we would have automatically won because we were getting battered at the time but still, it has to make a dramatic change to the whole tone and feel of the match. In that one statement from Ole after the game, he showed his naivety at this cut throat level of football management.

Dargonk

Ninja Scout
Scout
That has to be up their as the single worst defensive display I've seen from United. Majority of the goals weren't from Tottenham playing well, but from us simply gifting them with the chance. I could have done as well as some of our defenders today, and I'm rubbish.

It will be very interesting how/if we react from this performance. Team needs a major kick and to really punish whoever we are playing next, otherwise I can see this becoming more common

Denis79

Those saying fire Ole are crazy IMO. He led us to 3rd after the break and that is not a small thing. He deserves another season.
Yes monumental achievement, deserves at minimum 1 more season and if they don't buy him Sancho an additional two.

Rams

aspiring to be like Ryan Giggs
Time for a bit of perspective. I’m not going to state the obvious as has been done in the previous 15 pages of this thread, I think we all know what the problems are at the club in terms of leadership from the top through to individual players.
The main reason for our performances in the 3 league games this season is the lack of pre season preparation. We could have lost each game 6-1 because we were outplayed by Palace and Brighton as well. At this level it’s impossible to be ready without sufficient preparation and the performances are for most part due to the fact the players aren’t yet ready for this level of football. It’ll take another month or so before they squad is up to speed.

As for the worst day in the club’s history? Obviously that’s 6 February 1958.

chicha14

We can sign, Sancho, Cavani and Dembele but if we do not sign a CB, we are in for a rough season..

clarkydaz

Could be complete nonsense but a guest on the ‘United Stand’ channel said apparently Bruno and Matic had a fight at half time, which is why they were both taken off. Wouldn’t be surprised.
So any fight we had left wasnt allowed back on the pitch. Figures

CR1

2. The red card is a red card and even an obvious one. Martial was stupid to react.
4. We need a different setup in which he's played further upfront, maybe a 4-1-2-3 as you pointed out. He needs to be playing more on the left as well.

9. Let's be a little honest, he's a good man but an average manager who;s only starting his career. He's naive tactically and our team looks seriously under coached.
2. You're probably right there actually, that it was the correct decision according to the rule book. I should have said that it's the rule that is ridiculous.

9. I tend to look at other factors first, such as the lack of backing and preseason, but sure, he isn't the finished article as a manager by any means, even though I back him and have backed him consistently throughout. He needs to drop some players now though. For one, VDB and McTominay should both be ahead of Pogba in the pecking order right now.

theklr

Defense was rock solid last year. Midfield non existant. What teh feck. The concentration and mentality of the players is shite. Ole has to address quickly or I'm Ole out for the first time.

Swearing Budgie

This team has never had an identity or playing style and with Ole at the wheel it never will.

He just sends the players out with no plan and hopes that one of them wins it with a moment of individual brilliance. Usually a Bruno pen.

Shitshow.

Craig Ward

I've seen us get beat plenty of times, i've seen us dejected and i've seen us on the end of some right hammerings.

Yesterday was the worst i've ever seen us.

We gave up. We stopped trying. Not 1 player had anything to give.

Football is about winning and losing. If you lose, you lose trying.

Says a lot about the character of this squad, it simply has no guts or fight.

Regarding Ole - that's not a trait he has. I've listening to him and read his articles. The man is a firm believer in a positive never give up mentality, a fighting spirit. He knows what's expected of a man utd player and i'm sure thats drilled into them every day in training.

Is it Ole's fault if the players dont take that on board and decide to play with no passion? Is is Ole's fault Martial acted out?
You can critique Ole's tactics perhaps or his decision to play Pogba when he's clearly not at it - BUT you cannot blame Ole for how each and every player applies themselves on the pitch. Maguire just gave up, everyone could see it. That's not an Ole/coaching issue - thats a Maguire issue.

Ole will take the brunt of it but each player needs to have a look at themselves and sort they're mentality out.

Writing a few words on social media doesnt make it alright - it just amplifies the problem. If they KNOW its not good enough - do something on the pitch to change it. Giving up and gifting Spurs goal after goal is not acceptable and saying sorry on bastard twitter means nothing. Just reeks of cowardice.

Spurs like - they didnt even have to play well to thump us 6-1.

man united 4eva

Humiliated by Palace & Spurs at home.. got a lucky undeserved win away at Brighton... These games cannot be described as a 'one-off'.. The club.. the team.. and everything in between.. is broken.. :(

Common English Bible
Chapter Parallel
Psalm 123:3 (CEB) Have mercy on us, LORD! Have mercy because we've had more than enough shame.

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
Unfortunately the club is rotten from top to bottom . While the fans keep believing in this we are a huge club and playing for United should mean something stuff but most of the players actually at the club don't give a shit . I feel like this is the least attachment I have had to a United team , obviously results play a part but this group of players barring a couple are ones I just can't seem to associate myself with. They just seem to turn up when they want but don't give a shit most days of the season.

Run_time_error

I am agreeing with most posters who are calling for a change in formation. None of the front three are really wingers, they all play towards the centre and with Bruno there too we just crowd ourselves. Martial is out for a while so I'd like to see Greenwood in the centre with Bruno behind and Rashford roaming too. It would allow an extra DM to protect the snowflakes at the back. But for the millionth time can we stop trying to play out from the back when the keeper has the ball!!! Our defenders are clearly not capable of doing it. The coaches must be telling them to do it but they obviously can't. A school team could press our lot into a mistake.

slored1

We shouldn't press aggressively with Matic and Pogba in midfield. They have let us down when we did that every time. It's either sitting back and inviting the pressure on or playing Fred-McSauce duo to play this way.

Player Ratings

2.8 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 426 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Tottenham win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 27% Man Utd 2:1 Tottenham
  • 15% Man Utd 1:1 Tottenham