PL W FA Premier League

Tottenham Hotspur 1:3 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Sun, 11 April 2021

mu4c_20le

I must say, I've never really heard that being said before. Also, context. In a world where Asians are being racially abused, both online and in real life, seeing that is jarring.
Context stems from the joke Ole made about not feeding him. If anyone said that out of the blue then it would be dodgy, sure. Then again, any joke or dig at someone's nationality/race/ethnicity in the current climate is always going to be dicey.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
I must say, I've never really heard that being said before. Also, context. In a world where Asians are being racially abused, both online and in real life, seeing that is jarring.
Of course, I 100% understand mate. But it's obvious Suedesi didn't say that in any way as being (casual) racist. As you say context is important here.

But then, as asian myself, my tolerant level is pretty high on these things. This may not work for others.

Raveneye

Oh for christs sake - Koreans eat dogs. Icelandic people eat whales - would it be racist if someone called Sigurdsson for whale-eating ... ? Not everything is racist. Some comments are just stupid
That would be racist too. Some racism causes more harm than others. Making fun of the Irish as alcoholic potatoes may be funny and okay now, even if it's racist. But it would have been a much more harmful form of racism 200 years ago.

i thought that was called stereotyping?
Racism is prejudice and discrimination within the concept of race. Stereotyping is inherently based on prejudice, so it's always going to be in danger of treading on harmful racist grounds.

bsCallout

So mentioning food that famous for a certain nation is racist now?

"No burger to you American", is racist now?
For a start it is only directed at them because we deem it wrong,no one is saying it as a term of endearment. Secondly, why is there this belief it is a common thing even in Korea. Most younger generations don't consume dog meat.

So it's both completely uneducated and directed at a person in an aggressive and derogatory way. That is rascism.

Rams

aspiring to be like Ryan Giggs
He probably wanted to say give a clip behind the ear, thought better of it being politically incorrect so in stead used an analogy about starving his children. What you all have to consider nowadays huh just in case you might upset somebody?! Maybe everybody needs to calm down and stop being over sensitive?

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
For a start it is only directed at them because we deem it wrong,no one is saying it as a term of endearment. Secondly, why is there this belief it is a common thing even in Korea. Most younger generations don't consume dog meat.

So it's both completely uneducated and directed at a person in an aggressive and derogatory way. That is rascism.
We were discussing about eating tofu soup and korean bbq, mate.

I can see "eating dog" is derogatory to some. But then it's United fans singing that, when they're adoring and acknowledge PJS as one of ours. Anyway, yeh, it can be used to insult Koreans also.

Last edited:

Raveneye

He probably wanted to say give a clip behind the ear, thought better of it being politically incorrect so in stead used an analogy about starving his children. What you all have to consider nowadays huh just in case you might upset somebody?! Maybe everybody needs to calm down and stop being over sensitive?
I distinctly recall sending a child to bed without supper being a common punishment or threat of punishment in western literature concerning parents and children.

rollingstoned1

if you loof at the relpay of the Son incident you see that Mac touches him with his hand on the left side of his face but Son goes down holding his right side. Surely the referee and the VAr ref can see this
I mean I appreciate the rationale behind var and everyone has somewhat accepted that taking the emotion out of the moment is worth making the right decision. But seriously, with all the time in the world If we still get shit decisions like yday I'm beginning to question if it isn't better that we go back to what we had.

bsCallout

We were discussing about eating tofu soup and korean bbq, mate.

I can see "eating dog" is derogatory to some. But then it's United fans singing that, when they're adoring and acknowledge PJS as one of ours.
Ahh I jumped in to your last comment as someone in match day thread wasn't talking about what's for dinner.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
Feeling some right aches and pains today. Went absolutely ballistic during that period late in the first half when the goal was disallowed and they subsequently scored. Lost my shit good and proper. Kids & the missus hiding for cover upstairs and laughing their tits off at me, and deservedly so.

Fast forward to the second half - knee slide celebrations in between polishing off whatever booze we had lingering around. A proper Sunday
I can picture the scene. I let out an almighty roar when Cavani scored. One of the best moments this season :)

Lappen

Cavani or Pogba motm to me, Greenwood really good, Henderson really good, Shaw great. But the team effort in the second half was brilliant! I give big credit to Ole for changes and for getting the team to focus in the game! A lott of feelings in the first that made us focus in the wrong things....
I loved this victory!
The only after game intervju I heard with Mourinho was not that bitter that I was expecting, bitter yes, but not horrible...
Well, he did came out with the attention seeking stupidity after all. I'm not sure I should feel sorry for him or just laugh.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
saying derogatory about something based on nationality is racist? didnt realise thats how far the definition has stretched.

if you made fun of me for eating goat meat because i was Jamaican you would be considered racist?
Technically maybe.

The thing is though, that languages, tone, understanding and culture is a incredibly complex subject and it's sometimes hard to wrap your head around what is a grey area, and what is outright yokel racism.

Language that is either antagonistic, prejudicial or discriminatory towards a person or community based on either race or ethnicity is defined as racism.

So I don't know if Jamaicans eating goats has some negative connotation has any negative associations outside of Jamaica but if it did then that could certainly be used in an antagonistic way. It's also entirely possible that the language can be used in jest, with a understanding from both sides that there is friendly banter going on.

For example: How many Swedes does it take to change a lightbulb? 20. 1 to hold the bulb and 19 to turn the house around. Swedes are dumb - Love from Norway. Mocking a whole ethnicity for their lack of awareness is generally frowned upon, but in this case its a cultural thing where everyone accepts that this is both fun, and factual. Especially Swedes. If they could read.

Eating dogs is a very negative stereotype towards asians, so the moment you mention it you're antagonistic and prejudicial on purpose. Ie. you're being a racist.

For reference: Ethnicity is defined as a belonging to a social group with a common cultural and/or nationality, not just skin color or physical appearance.

ChaddyP

Technically maybe.

The thing is though, that languages, tone, understanding and culture is a incredibly complex subject and it's sometimes hard to wrap your head around what is a grey area, and what is outright yokel racism.

Language that is either antagonistic, prejudicial or discriminatory towards a person or community based on either race or ethnicity is defined as racism.

So I don't know if Jamaicans eating goats has some negative connotation has any negative associations outside of Jamaica but if it did then that could certainly be used in an antagonistic way. It's also entirely possible that the language can be used in jest, with a understanding from both sides that there is friendly banter going on.

For example: How many Swedes does it take to change a lightbulb? 20. 1 to hold the bulb and 19 to turn the house around. Swedes are dumb - Love from Norway. Mocking a whole ethnicity for their lack of awareness is generally frowned upon, but in this case its a cultural thing where everyone accepts that this is both fun, and factual. Especially Swedes. If they could read.

Eating dogs is a very negative stereotype towards asians, so the moment you mention it you're antagonistic and prejudicial on purpose. Ie. you're being a racist.

For reference: Ethnicity is defined as a belonging to a social group with a common cultural and/or nationality, not just skin color or physical appearance.
i agree with all of this. I just feel that the use of the term "racism" is not truly reflective of the situation. Unless the definition has changed dramatically over the last couple years. I feel its a silly comment that should be frowned upon and stamped out especially if a certain culture frowns upon the comments. But i often feel this cheapens what i consider to be real racism, which is treating someone differently because of their race (or what you perceive their race to be)

OrcaFat

I distinctly recall sending a child to bed without supper being a common punishment or threat of punishment in western literature concerning parents and children.
Yes, absolutely. Ole was speaking figuratively, for sure. He never would have denied sustenance to his children, but I’m sure would have given proper bollockings for any behaviour like we saw from Son and rightly so.

Gasolin

Oh for christs sake - Koreans eat dogs. Icelandic people eat whales - would it be racist if someone called Sigurdsson for whale-eating ... ? Not everything is racist. Some comments are just stupid
Some very few Koreans eat dogs, but it's definitely not something that is said as if they were eating beef.
More like, look at those savage who eat dogs, and btw, that statement assumes that every single Korean eat dogs, which is definitely wrong as you will struggle to find openly a restaurant for that. It's not that common over there.

Gasolin

So mentioning food that famous for a certain nation is racist now?

"No burger to you American", is racist now?
But here's the thing, that dog stuff is not at all a specialty in Korea. Assuming it is is for me the racist part.
You can ask many Koreans in the street and 99.999% have never even touched that.

Rams

When my son goes around screaming on the floor like a kimchi on fire, then I feckin smash the living day lights out of him. I’m being sarcastic btw.

diarm

I must have read ten times today about how it was a game of two halves and how they bossed the first 45.

Did they feck. The first 20 minutes was dogshit by both sides and then we started taking control. We were well on top of them for a good ten minutes before Cavani scored that goal and then fair enough, we lost our heads for 10/15 minutes after the shocker of a decision and then that rat going down the other end and sucker punching us.

Rams

What’s wrong with eating dogs anyway? We’re fine with pork or lamb, so why not a poodle casserole? Roast bouvier? A terrier taart??

NICanRed

Dude it's the equivalent of saying no pasta for Totti or no burgers for Pulisic. Some people are oversensitive over anything online, I wonder how they survive in the real world.
Not quite! I eat pasta and burgers. In my cultural experience (European/N.American) eating man's best friend is considered taboo so that linking dog-eating to Son is offensive and therefore potentially racist even if there's a grain of truth to it.
On another issue - In N. America it might be likely for the equivalent of NSPCC to be knocking on Ole's door demanding to interview his son to make sure he wasn't being abused.

ChaddyP

What’s wrong with eating dogs anyway? We’re fine with pork or lamb, so why not a poodle casserole? Roast bouvier? A terrier taart??
Ive had it when i was in China. Its ok. Don't see the fuss about it.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
But here's the thing, that dog stuff is not at all a specialty in Korea. Assuming it is is for me the racist part.
You can ask many Koreans in the street and 99.999% have never even touched that.
So that's not famous food then?

Suedesi

Not quite! I eat pasta and burgers. In my cultural experience (European/N.American) eating man's best friend is considered taboo so that linking dog-eating to Son is offensive and therefore potentially racist even if there's a grain of truth to it.
On another issue - In N. America it might be likely for the equivalent of NSPCC to be knocking on Ole's door demanding to interview his son to make sure he wasn't being abused.
What the feck are you on about? Tofu soup and Korean BBQ are NOT linking dog-eating to Son. The fact that you'd make such a link is at best ignorant, at worst racist.

Sort yourself out, I'm off to Baekjeong as all this nonsense is making me hungry for a nice brisket and some short ribs.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
Every club has racist fans, you know people represent themselves only when they say shit right?
Yes but a relatively innocuous reference to common cuisine items isn't racist. If I said "you've been a naughty boy, syrian scholes, no hummus for you tonight!" there's not much wrong with that because it's a reasonable and non-discriminatory assumption that you might eat hummus a lot seeing as people from a particular place or region tend to favour their own cuisine. But if I were to make a derogatory remark about parts of your anatomy and substituted 'halabi kofta' for said anatomy, that's a different story.

For what it's worth, I think the Park lyrics are on the racist side of things but can understand the choice as it's a comparative reference of one food item being worse than another (rats worse than dog meat) so a more innocuous choice like Kim-Chee wouldn't be suitable for the chant because the comparison is less like-for-like and wouldn't be as insulting to Scousers. Let's compare, (alternate in-offensive lyrics in brackets):

Park, Park, wherever you may be
You eat dogs in your home country (You like to eat lots of spicy Kim-Chee)
It could be worse, you could be Scouse
Eating rats in a council house (Eating boiled cabbage in a council house)

bsCallout

Think eating those is a bit sick too to be honest.

Man of the Match

Paul Pogba image Paul Pogba 51% of 426 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

7.2 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 401 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Tottenham win
  • Draw