PL W FA Premier League

Tottenham Hotspur 1:3 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Sun, 11 April 2021

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
Context stems from the joke Ole made about not feeding him. If anyone said that out of the blue then it would be dodgy, sure. Then again, any joke or dig at someone's nationality/race/ethnicity in the current climate is always going to be dicey.
Ah, I don't understand how I didn't get that reference to what Ole said!

Apologies, @Suedesi. I don't know how I missed that. You're right, it's easy to be oversensitive over the Internet.

championo

Top Stalker
What’s wrong with eating dogs anyway? We’re fine with pork or lamb, so why not a poodle casserole? Roast bouvier? A terrier taart??
Meat is meat, however, I can't imagine eating my Golden Retriever. He acts like he has a soul. Dog is able to detect when I am upset even if I don't talk.
Where do we draw the line then when it comes to meat? ...

syrian_scholes

Honorary Straw Hat
Yes but a relatively innocuous reference to common cuisine items isn't racist. If I said "you've been a naughty boy, syrian scholes, no hummus for you tonight!" there's not much wrong with that because it's a reasonable and non-discriminatory assumption that you might eat hummus a lot seeing as people from a particular place or region tend to favour their own cuisine. But if I were to make a derogatory remark about parts of your anatomy and substituted 'halabi kofta' for said anatomy, that's a different story.

For what it's worth, I think the Park lyrics are on the racist side of things but can understand the choice as it's a comparative reference of one food item being worse than another (rats worse than dog meat) so a more innocuous choice like Kim-Chee wouldn't be suitable for the chant because the comparison is less like-for-like and wouldn't be as insulting to Scousers. Let's compare, (alternate in-offensive lyrics in brackets):

Park, Park, wherever you may be
You eat dogs in your home country (You like to eat lots of spicy Kim-Chee)
It could be worse, you could be Scouse
Eating rats in a council house (Eating boiled cabbage in a council house)
You're just excusing casual racism, I would not be happy if someone said that to me, and you trying to tell me what I find offending is in itself racist as you think you know better whats offending to me than myself, as a lot of ignorant people tend to do.

Suedesi

Ah, I don't understand how I didn't get that reference to what Ole said!

Apologies, @Suedesi. I don't know how I missed that. You're right, it's easy to be oversensitive over the Internet.
No worries mate - I was confused there for a second. Saying "no Korean BBQ for you Sonny" after Ole's cheeky comment is completely harmless and inoffensive. "No gnocchi for you Chiellini" or "no sushi for you Kagawa" would have been equally mild.

I take issue with "dog-eating cnut" but this was not it.

city-puma

I must have read ten times today about how it was a game of two halves and how they bossed the first 45.

Did they feck. The first 20 minutes was dogshit by both sides and then we started taking control. We were well on top of them for a good ten minutes before Cavani scored that goal and then fair enough, we lost our heads for 10/15 minutes after the shocker of a decision and then that rat going down the other end and sucker punching us.
Exactly what happened.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
You're just excusing casual racism, I would not be happy if someone said that to me, and you trying to tell me what I find offending is in itself racist as you think you know better whats offending to me than myself, as a lot of ignorant people tend to do.
First, if you think my post is racist, please report it.

I'm not telling you anything about what you may or may not find offensive. The point is that assuming that people from a particular culture eat a popular food common to that culture isn't racist.

However, assuming that someone from a particular culture eats an uncommon and unpopular food with negative connotations tied to it is probably racist.

So, the chant about J.S. Park eating dog meat is racist but Sudesi's post about tofu soup and Korean BBQ is not because there's no derogatory impact from suggesting Son might eat these foods.

littleman

Meat is meat, however, I can't imagine eating my Golden Retriever. He acts like he has a soul. Dog is able to detect when I am upset even if I don't talk.
Cows have similar empathetic abilities to dogs too.. I guess it's really all about drawing arbitrary lines

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
Cows have similar empathetic abilities to dogs too.. I guess it's really all about drawing arbitrary lines
Cows are legends, did some work on a farm before and they’re so curious, had one lick my foot once, was weird.

syrian_scholes

Honorary Straw Hat
First, if you think my post is racist, please report it.

I'm not telling you anything about what you may or may not find offensive. The point is that assuming that people from a particular culture eat a popular food common to that culture isn't racist.

However, assuming that someone from a particular culture eats an uncommon and unpopular food with negative connotations tied to it is probably racist.

So, the chant about J.S. Park eating dog meat is racist but Sudesi's post about tofu soup and Korean BBQ is not because there's no derogatory impact from suggesting Son might eat these foods.
I said your post is ignorant, not racist, so is this post.

again it doesn't matter if it's positive or negative stereotypes, racism is racism, I don't know why this is so hard to understand for you, and I don't even know why some feel the need to point something about the persons culture as soon as they are mentioned.

And again you are making assumptions about what a certain group of people should find offensive is ignorant and racist.

Dr. Dwayne

I said your post is ignorant, not racist, so is this post.

again it doesn't matter if it's positive or negative stereotypes, racism is racism, I don't know why this is so hard to understand for you, and I don't even know why some feel the need to point something about the persons culture as soon as they are mentioned.

And again you are making assumptions about what a certain group of people should find offensive is ignorant and racist.
These aren't stereotypes, these are normal, culturally appropriate practices that would be expected of someone from that region. You want to tell me it's ignorant and racist to assume that Koreans eat Korean food. I'm not sure what to say.

I would appreciate it if you could cease telling me you are not calling me racist and then calling me racist, though.

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
I don't know your dog so it's easier for me to picture him pan-fried in chili and ginger with a potato rosti and wilted spinach.

syrian_scholes

Honorary Straw Hat
These aren't stereotypes, these are normal, culturally appropriate practices that would be expected of someone from that region. You want to tell me it's ignorant and racist to assume that Koreans eat Korean food. I'm not sure what to say.

I would appreciate it if you could cease telling me you are not calling me racist and then calling me racist, though.
I'm not calling you racist because I don't think your intentions are racist, I'm just saying your posts carry racist implications that you might not see, anyway I made my point, and you chose to miss it completely, I will continue to call out racist behavior like the one Sud showed, and you do you.

Dr. Dwayne

I'm not calling you racist because I don't think your intentions are racist, I'm just saying your posts carry racist implications that you might not see, anyway I made my point, and you chose to miss it completely, I will continue to call out racist behavior like the one Sud showed, and you do you.
I'd prefer if you would help me see them. From my perspective having an idea that Japanese people eat a lot of sushi isn't racist but if I called a Japanese poster "sushi-breath" it would be. Now, if I assumed they exclusively eat sushi, I can see your point, although it leans more toward ignorance than racism but as noted, I can see the opportunity to consider it as such.

Shiva87

We have learnt alot since conceding last minute goals against Southampton last season and Everton this season. It was brilliant to see. Reminded me of the times when Giggs and Ronaldo would take the piss on the flanks, buying cheap fouls and getting us the corner.
The lack of intelligent game management was one of my biggest frustrations with this team, but it really turned around this time. I hope this is a sign of things to come and not a one off where Pogba was having a blinder so we managed to give it to him and let him manage the time on the clock.

Jose must be so pissed that Pogba of all people was taking any chance of a comeback away from his team. I remember time and again Jose would tell Pogba to drop back to defend a 1-0 lead which would ultimately go away. I think it also ended up in a touchline row after which Pogba was subbed. Must be a vindication for Paul.

justsomebloke

We would love to see the second half performance way more, really can't understand why Ole goes back to "boring, boring United".
Do you really think the manager orders the team to play boring and ineffective football, and can then just push a button and make that second half against Tottenham occur? I doubt the instructions the players had for that half were any different than they had in most other games.

justsomebloke

National food stereotyping is hardly racism.

Gasolin

The lack of intelligent game management was one of my biggest frustrations with this team, but it really turned around this time. I hope this is a sign of things to come and not a one off where Pogba was having a blinder so we managed to give it to him and let him manage the time on the clock.

Jose must be so pissed that Pogba of all people was taking any chance of a comeback away from his team. I remember time and again Jose would tell Pogba to drop back to defend a 1-0 lead which would ultimately go away. I think it also ended up in a touchline row after which Pogba was subbed. Must be a vindication for Paul.
https://abdelbeheri.medium.com/ole-...nging-the-best-out-of-paul-pogba-36c6bf0ca63b

Gasolin

National food stereotyping is hardly racism.
Are we still talking about that dog eating stuff that is definitely not a national food in Korea at all? Just because 0.01% of people, or even less, happen to enjoy them doesn't make it a national food at all.

Hughes35

Agreed would love to see this happen. I prefer the new striker to be the immediate starter though with Cavani as a rotation option
100%. Halland or Kane with Cavani and Greenwood as back us would be brilliant.

Knowing us, we will go in to next season with just Martial and Greenwood as the options.

justsomebloke

Are we still talking about that dog eating stuff that is definitely not a national food in Korea at all? Just because 0.01% of people, or even less, happen to enjoy them doesn't make it a national food at all.
Kimchi and BBQ sauce, as far as I recall.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I'd do both TBH. Move Martial on, keep Cavani + new striker. That would be the perfect scenario.
I think we'll give Martial another year to prove himself/regain or improve on his 19/20 season.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
:lol:
Invite to my house you shall get not.
you should invite him - and set the dog on him! :D

Mind you, if yours is anything like dogs I've had... (one family dog played with bloody burglars, his toys all over the place)

redmanx

Ive had it when i was in China. Its ok. Don't see the fuss about it.
Ive had horse, it was reccomended to me years ago when I was working in France; I was told horse meat bred for human consumption was actually better than the finest beef steak as horses will not drink dirty water; how true that is I dont know, but the horse steak was I seem to remember, very good!

Man of the Match

Paul Pogba image Paul Pogba 51% of 426 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

7.2 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 401 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Tottenham win
  • Draw