PL W FA Premier League

Tottenham Hotspur 1:3 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Sun, 11 April 2021

mark_a

It's interesting/funny that the media has unanimously come down on the side of McTominay's actions not being a foul, but they've been pretty light on criticising Son for cheating, but that aside, they've not at all mentioned the 7 Spurs players around the ref or the fact that the whole medical team rocked up on the pitch as well. Applying a lot of pressure to the situation at a very key moment.

I think even Jenas said something like "it might have hurt" about what can only have been a minor contact between McTominay's hand and Son's face! As if it did! And from the replay it looks more like his fingers, hand makes it sound more like an actual blow. How much force is transmitted by the hand of a person moving at speed away anyway?! Clearly Son has felt contact and did the "grab the face" routine, which if you accept that is reasonably standard these days, he had no need to stay down for ages resulting in the pall bearers appearing.

It's of course a huge shame that apparently he's been racially abused, not least as he should be being abused for being a cheat. Calling out diving in all it's forms is the only way football will improve this stuff. Along with refs being consistent within games! Across games is too much to hope for. Makes me wonder if the ref watches the game he'll see all the "afters" of players kicking Rashford?

Of course being on the receiving end makes our 2nd half performance and win even sweeter!

Gator Nate

Here's the thing... Son was the THIRD Spurs player to make that he'd been struck in the face at that point. Go back and watch the match to that point. They were quite obviously trying to get another Martial-type red to put us down ten men again. It was quite blatant.

mu4c_20le

Here's the thing... Son was the THIRD Spurs player to make that he'd been struck in the face at that point. Go back and watch the match to that point. They were quite obviously trying to get another Martial-type red to put us down ten men again. It was quite blatant.
Yep, the screaming and rolling around continued well into the second half, they were quite obviously trying to get us into trouble and to disrupt the flow of the game. Ole came out to the touchline about 5 minutes into the second half to tell his players not to fall for that nonsense and to keep going, keep the ball moving. This was one of his more animated matches.

city-puma

It's interesting/funny that the media has unanimously come down on the side of McTominay's actions not being a foul, but they've been pretty light on criticising Son for cheating, but that aside, they've not at all mentioned the 7 Spurs players around the ref or the fact that the whole medical team rocked up on the pitch as well. Applying a lot of pressure to the situation at a very key moment.

I think even Jenas said something like "it might have hurt" about what can only have been a minor contact between McTominay's hand and Son's face! As if it did! And from the replay it looks more like his fingers, hand makes it sound more like an actual blow. How much force is transmitted by the hand of a person moving at speed away anyway?! Clearly Son has felt contact and did the "grab the face" routine, which if you accept that is reasonably standard these days, he had no need to stay down for ages resulting in the pall bearers appearing.

It's of course a huge shame that apparently he's been racially abused, not least as he should be being abused for being a cheat. Calling out diving in all it's forms is the only way football will improve this stuff. Along with refs being consistent within games! Across games is too much to hope for. Makes me wonder if the ref watches the game he'll see all the "afters" of players kicking Rashford?

Of course being on the receiving end makes our 2nd half performance and win even sweeter!
It’s actually what the media always do for many many years. They seldom or almost never mention the cheating behavior.
the incident like that Lamela initiated the whole thing in our 6-1 loss against Spurs, for example, is not mentioned at all.
In many aspects, they are promoting the cheating in the game rather than singling out and condemning them.

Crustanoid

The racist idiots on Twitter deflected the attention away from calling out Son and his teammates abhorrent behaviour

Raveneye

It’s actually what the media always do for many many years. They seldom or almost never mention the cheating behavior.
the incident like that Lamela initiated the whole thing in our 6-1 loss against Spurs, for example, is not mentioned at all.
In many aspects, they are promoting the cheating in the game rather than singling out and condemning them.
I don't think Son was entirely acting, actually. If you watch the video and listen closely when McTominay's arm hits Son's face, there is an audible sound of contact like a slap. I'm sure it was to Son's advantage to exaggerate, but it was an accidental slap to the eye, which from a big man like McTominay would surely floor most people for a bit. Son was cheating by trying to use an arm to restrain McTominay, which the latter fended off while sprinting which caused the incident in question. But as I said, there's an audible slapping sound when McTominay's hand hits Son's face.

city-puma

I don't think Son was entirely acting, actually. If you watch the video and listen closely when McTominay's arm hits Son's face, there is an audible sound of contact like a slap. I'm sure it was to Son's advantage to exaggerate, but it was an accidental slap to the eye, which from a big man like McTominay would surely floor most people for a bit. Son was cheating by trying to use an arm to restrain McTominay, which the latter fended off while sprinting which caused the incident in question. But as I said, there's an audible slapping sound when McTominay's hand hits Son's face.
Being hit by fingers no matter how crispy it sounded, won’t knocked him out like he acted for almost three minutes. He acted as if he got concussion. He rolled over several times on the ground. Their medic came for rescue. Seriously?! When someone can still roll around, I can assure you he is definitely not hurt enough.

Raveneye

Being hit by fingers no matter how crispy it sounded, won’t knocked him out like he acted for almost three minutes. He acted as if he got concussion. He rolled over several times on the ground. Their medic came for rescue. Seriously?! When someone can still roll around, I can assure you he is definitely not hurt enough.
As I said, I'm not saying Son never exaggerated. Plenty of players do that. But Son was hit in the eyes and face by a smack from someone way bigger than him, hard enough that you can hear the impact on video. It did hurt. Son just milked it.

alexthelion

:D :D :D

city-puma

As I said, I'm not saying Son never exaggerated. Plenty of players do that. But Son was hit in the eyes and face by a smack from someone way bigger than him, hard enough that you can hear the impact on video. It did hurt. Son just milked it.
I suggest you watch the video again. His eyes are perfectly good and not hit at all. When someone is slapped on face, the most you can get is probably a little numb. Ok, for precaution purpose, fall to ground. No problem. But three minutes! Rolling over! Got the medic in! Shameful!

Raveneye

I suggest you watch the video again. His eyes are perfectly good and not hit at all. When someone is slapped on face, the most you can get is probably a little numb. Ok, for precaution purpose, fall to ground. No problem. But three minutes! Rolling over! Got the medic in! Shameful!
Okay, so your principle disagreement is that you think he wasn't hit in the eye. Watched it again. He's hit in the eye or at the very least just under it.

Regardless, a slap from someone like McTominay would hurt. And I don't think we disagree that Son exaggerated for effect and that a slap would floor someone, so I don't think we're miles apart here. Son probably stayed on the ground waiting for the ref's decision while exaggerating how much pain he was in and the ref ended up taking forever.

city-puma

Okay, so your principle disagreement is that you think he wasn't hit in the eye. Watched it again. He's hit in the eye or at the very least just under it.

Regardless, a slap from someone like McTominay would hurt. And I don't think we disagree that Son exaggerated for effect and that a slap would floor someone, so I don't think we're miles apart here. Son probably stayed on the ground waiting for the ref's decision while exaggerating how much pain he was in and the ref ended up taking forever.
Of course. It’s under the eyes on the face. No one complains he shouldn’t fall to the ground. He has been singled out completely because of “three minutes” and the fact drawing the medics in.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.

If he got hit in the eye so bad why does he go down holding the wrong side of his face? He's a cheat.

city-puma

... and because it cost us a bloody good goal.
It’s true :lol:
It makes one think you can accidentally hit the other anywhere below the neck in the football now. But above the shoulder, it’s all sensitive. Then, it puts any tall player in disadvantage because every time they have arms up a little, they are in danger to get the card, yellow even red. In the meantime, smaller players can use their hands and arms freely to hit you, to grab you, to hold off you, they can do everything.

Counterfactual

Son is a diving little shit. I think the debate is pretty much done.
"DERMOT SAYS: It raised a lot of interesting debates. The first thing is when the VAR [Craig Pawson] looks at this, he checks is it a red card? Well, most certainly not. The game goes on and once the ball goes in the net, he then checks is it offside? No. Then he has to go back and see if there is an offence in the attacking buildup? I'm not convinced, but what I would say is that once the referee [Chris Kavanagh] is sent to the screen and he sees that in slow motion, it is inevitable he is going to give a foul because it is difficult to say he did not catch him in the face and therefore the referee has gone back and given the free-kick. "

Case closed. That's as close as you'll get to throwing the book at him for diving.

city-puma

"DERMOT SAYS: It raised a lot of interesting debates. The first thing is when the VAR [Craig Pawson] looks at this, he checks is it a red card? Well, most certainly not. The game goes on and once the ball goes in the net, he then checks is it offside? No. Then he has to go back and see if there is an offence in the attacking buildup? I'm not convinced, but what I would say is that once the referee [Chris Kavanagh] is sent to the screen and he sees that in slow motion, it is inevitable he is going to give a foul because it is difficult to say he did not catch him in the face and therefore the referee has gone back and given the free-kick. "

Case closed. That's as close as you'll get to throwing the book at him for diving.
This particular case actually exposes another issue of how VAR is used. When the ref was sent to watch the replay from the pitch side monitor, only the video from one angle is replayed repeatedly. If the video from another angle, say along McT’s running direction, can be replayed as well (side by side the best). One will immediately the whole incident starts with Son’s attempt to grab McT from behind. It will rightly change the understanding on what the incident actually developed. However, with the side angle camera view replayed only, I guess most will draw attention on the hand-face interaction. It’s 2D projected image, very easy to lure to the wrong perception.
ESPN I think showed the other angle. Everyone then was convinced the whole thing is a perfect goal.

Raveneye

Of course. It’s under the eyes on the face. No one complains he shouldn’t fall to the ground. He has been singled out completely because of “three minutes” and the fact drawing the medics in.
I've heard people saying no contact or shouldn't fall to the ground and calling Park a cheater (beyond the normal levels players exaggerate). My take is that Park made a decision to stay down till the ref made a decision and the ref took forever, so Park stayed down way longer than he actually needed to.

If he got hit in the eye so bad why does he go down holding the wrong side of his face? He's a cheat.
Except Son doesn't. He uses his left arm, i.e. the arm that didn't get swiped away, to hold his right eye. Would encourage you to watch the highlights again.

Man of the Match

Paul Pogba image Paul Pogba 51% of 426 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

7.2 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 401 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Tottenham win
  • Draw