PL W FA Premier League

Manchester United 3:2 Tottenham Hotspur

Post-match discussion

Sat, 12 March 2022

RopersReturn

United are kind of like an ocean. Sometimes the tide's out so far it's like Southport beach and everything stinks, but other times we're riding the surf at Big Sur. Last week we got eaten by a great white (or a great pale blue). This week we brought our own tsunami in CR7. Okay, that's enough with the strained ocean metaphors.

I know Ronnie will get all the headlines and plaudits, and rightly so, but I want to give a shoutout to the often maligned Fred, who was superb today. And his touch to set up Cristiano's first goal was very Brazilian indeed.

Reactions: Cheimoon

Maniron

this. You cant not give Ronaldo the MOTM, but Fred was outstanding. His buddie in midfield was shocking
As I said on the transfer forum, Rice would give us us every game what Fred did today. Not taking anything away from Fred, he was at his best today, but he needs to be more consistent

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
How many did you get? :lol:
This is no WUM, I had never heard of the guy before people kept droning on about his GOATness in the matchday thread.

I thought they were talking about Tom Daley at first and couldn't for the life of me figure out why halfway decent Olympic diver to Ronaldo. Then I discovered I was wrong and everything made sense again.

Denis79

NFL goat. 7 times Super Bowl champion.
Actually ashamed I never heard of him until this recent superbowl. I watched the first half because I really wanted to see the half-time show and they talked about him.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
- The whole game just seemed to be an endless procession of Man Utd players inexplicably letting the ball roll past them, followed by Tottenham players inexplicably falling over as soon as they tried to control it.

- At least twice there was a Tottenham player on the floor with the ball somehow on their back.

- the game turned out pretty much as I thought it would; a battle of two teams seeing who could try to lose harder. Only Ronaldo obviously missed the briefing while back in Portugal.

- I enjoyed sky trying to equate Ronaldo's "most goals by any player of all time" record, with Harry Kane's "most goals in the English league if you only count when it was the premier league and only count away goals and pretend Rooney didn't exist" record, which they just randomly made up when he scored.

- If I played in Tottenham's defence I probably wouldn't celebrate in the face of an opposition defender when they conceded a stupid goal. Particularly not when we weren't even winning and were getting made to look like complete clowns by a 37 year old. I'll let Romero off however as I assume he's just incredibly thick.

- I don't like Tottenham so I enjoy beating them.

Maniron

This is no WUM, I had never heard of the guy before people kept droning on about his GOATness in the matchday thread.

I thought they were talking about Tom Daley at first and couldn't for the life of me figure out why halfway decent Olympic diver to Ronaldo. Then I discovered I was wrong and everything made sense again.
I think some away fans would enjoy theTom Daley comparison

Pretzels81

Not Salty…
If we end up 3rd or 4th, this match will be remembered as the turning point.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
- The whole game just seemed to be an endless procession of Man Utd players inexplicably letting the ball roll past them, followed by Tottenham players inexplicably falling over as soon as they tried to control it.

- At least twice there was a Tottenham player on the floor with the ball somehow on their back.

- the game turned out pretty much as I thought it would; a battle of two teams seeing who could try to lose harder. Only Ronaldo obviously missed the briefing while back in Portugal.

- I enjoyed sky trying to equate Ronaldo's "most goals by any player of all time" record, with Harry Kane's "most goals in the English league if you only count when it was the premier league and only count away goals and pretend Rooney didn't exist" record, which they just randomly made up when he scored.

- If I played in Tottenham's defence I probably wouldn't celebrate in the face of an opposition defender when they conceded a stupid goal. Particularly not when we weren't even winning and were getting made to look like complete clowns by a 37 year old. I'll let Romero off however as I assume he's just incredibly thick.

- I don't like Tottenham so I enjoy beating them.
Didn't Romero also aim a few snidey kicks/studs at Sancho when he was on the floor?
Seems a real weapon of a bloke.

Cantonagotmehere

We can't control the game better because we can't win second balls. Our midfield lacks anticipation, positioning and the first touch to be proactive out of possession. Matic is too slow to cover the ground needed to make up for this in attack, which means our attacks failing lead to the opposition threatening us immediately rather than us using numbers to retrieve the ball quickly and sustain attacks.

None of Fred, Pogba or Mctominay have the spacial awareness to make the space in midfield narrow when we are in the opposition half. Matic is too slow to get there on time at times.
Makes sense, thanks. Also happens when McT is in there and not Matic. I still cannot believe that loose pass by Dalot at the end, I was sure they would score. (I like Dalot, it was just a typical moment for this team)

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
Did not expect Ronaldo to score 3, or us to get 3 points but i`ll take it.
Our football is still mostly shite but we managed to make our chances count this time. Decent defensively and they didn`t create a lot of quality chances.
Matic looks like he should be doing testimonial and charity games only now. So slow. Luckily for us Fred had a decent game today.
Would love to see Hannibal get a few minutes in a game like this when Bruno and Scott is out.
Matic. Excellent today.

SirScholes

United are kind of like an ocean. Sometimes the tide's out so far it's like Southport beach and everything stinks, but other times we're riding the surf at Big Sur. Last week we got eaten by a great white (or a great pale blue). This week we brought our own tsunami in CR7. Okay, that's enough with the strained ocean metaphors.

I know Ronnie will get all the headlines and plaudits, and rightly so, but I want to give a shoutout to the often maligned Fred, who was superb today. And his touch to set up Cristiano's first goal was very Brazilian indeed.
I watched the game and laughed at how often he got pushed around
He must be the least intimidating midfielder in the league to play against physically

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
I watched the game and laughed at how often he got pushed around
He must be the least intimidating midfielder in the league to play against physically
If you watched Fred's performance today and that's all you took away from it, he must owe you money.

DeGea

That Telles handball was a penalty and the Rodri one in the City vs Everton game was not??

The question of corruption sneaking into English football surely has to be asked. No league is immune, trust me.

Otherwise, great win! Ronaldo is the GOAT. Maguire is the worst 80 million pounds spent on a player, ever. Ever.

Alek M

Da manic one
Lads its Spurs. Never in doubt.
I thought Telles, Fred, Maguire were excellent. Despite the og he stopped a lot and had a solid game.
Varane and Sancho outstanding
Ronaldo was unplayable. Suprised he dropped so much in midfield. He covered a lot of ground.
Matic, Pogba were bad.
Rashford awful.
Our major problem is midfield. We just don’t create triangles to keep possession and play on counters wide. That will never work against City or Liverpool. We needed Bruno to be there more to receive and distribute. Need another class cm to help out as well.

SirScholes

If you watched Fred's performance today and that's all you took away from it, he must owe you money.
He definitely owes the club money like
Is this another Fred didn’t play bad so must be 10/10 game
Great

BarstoolProphet

MotM: Ronaldo
Great: Fred
Very good: Sancho
Very poor: Rashford, Pogba
Good - ok: The rest, including Maguire despite him nearly costing us again

hn4united

Can’t complain considering how Tottenham’s been playing and how we’ve been playing.

I brought my 11 year old son to his 1st match at Old Trafford today. I think it would be hard to top this experience for him as an 11 year old.

Reactions: Mciahel Goodman

RedDevilRoshi

Was it just me or did anyone else think Son was like Bambi on ice? Looked like the only player continuously slipping every time the ball came near him.

Anyways it was all about the 3 points today and we got them so that’ll do very nicely!

tomaldinho1

Just need to feed Ronaldo and he’s easily good enough to carry us to top 4. This season seems a bit of a write off in general but he’s on track to still be our best post RVP striker despite being an old codger, 12 in 24 on the PL and 6 in 6 CL.

V.O.

Just need to feed Ronaldo and he’s easily good enough to carry us to top 4. This season seems a bit of a write off in general but he’s on track to still be our best post RVP striker despite being an old codger, 12 in 24 on the PL and 6 in 6 CL.
He's been fecking dreadful in pretty much every other game this year so far, but if he can find anything like the level he was at today with the chances we've been making in most games for the past few weeks, we can make Arsenal cack themselves pretty quickly.

steffyr2

This. Thought we should have managed him a bit more and not let him start every game. He's still 37 or 8 and the PL is pretty hard on the body, so we shouldn't have started him every game. In any case, can't go back now.
How does the team perform without him?

Polar

Happy with the result and Ronaldo. Sancho was also good today and Fred impressed in first part of second half.

but……. It was almost unbelievable we won. I wouldn’t call it luck, but I felt Tottenham was the better team (controlled the match). Our midfield is very very unorganised defensively, and any defense in the world would’ve suffered under these circumstances.

I’m deeply worried about the situation. I don’t think this team have a future. Sancho and Elanga were actually the only players on the pitch today who are players for the future. Rashford has been terrible a long time. haven’t written him off yet, but I have a big question mark behind his nam.

MalaysianRed7

Eternal is the only word to describe him. Cristiano Ronaldo is the greatest footballer, no, athlete to ever live. That was in my opinion, the best individual performance any player has put in this Premier League season, relative to goals, importance of the goals and the team around him. The only ones that come close are Salah against us and Kane against City. Absolutely sensational, and despite my criticism of him throughout 2022, we are lucky to have him, as any team with him would be. Sancho and especially Fred were excellent too, as was Varane who provided a calm influence at the back.

Maguire and Rashford were definitely negatives, as is the common theme these days. The really worrying thing with Maguire now is that even when he has a good game, he still has the capacity for a brain fart that really costs the team, like the own goal today. That’s the sign of a defender who’s low on confidence, unlucky and just not very good. For £80m, relative to performance, I think he’s the pound for pound worst signing we’ve ever made. Rashford was invisible, which I suppose is better than what he was previously.

I think Ralf managed the game pretty well, but he simply has to drop Maguire now. Mark my words, I fancy Ronaldo to pull through again as he generally tends to do, but Atletico are not Spurs. Start Maguire and we’re out of the Champions League. He nearly sent us out by losing Felix in the first game already.

Overall, a very good win - one we have to massively thank Ronaldo for (I don’t get Conte’s comments that it would not have been a good day for us if we didn’t have him though, he’s literally there to win us big games). We’re somehow just about still in the hunt for top 4, albeit we need to be pretty much perfect from now until the end of the season, aside from a loss to Liverpool at Anfield that I’ve already pencilled in. Hopefully, Leicester take at least a point at the Emirates tomorrow.

tomaldinho1

He's been fecking dreadful in pretty much every other game this year so far, but if he can find anything like the level he was at today with the chances we've been making in most games for the past few weeks, we can make Arsenal cack themselves pretty quickly.
Agreed but then so has the whole team - he’s basically like signing an ex pro as a five aside team, you get him the ball and he’s class but he won’t go out of his way to get it. I honestly don’t even mind that this season, we just need goals and then he’s gone in the summer.

siw2007

Holy macaroni. Did we watch the same game? Today’s game reinforced my doubt regarding United being top-4 this season.
I thought we deserved the win, didn’t say we were brilliant, thought Spurs were worse though.

The Purley King

Fair enough, but it's pretty much the same as having never heard of Federer or Schumacher or Tiger Woods. :lol:
Except it’s not at all:
I’ve heard of him but very few people (comparatively) care about a sport only one country plays than they do for tennis, f1 and golf.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
Didn't Romero also aim a few snidey kicks/studs at Sancho when he was on the floor?
Seems a real weapon of a bloke.
Yep. Pretty sure it was him accidentally trampling all over Pogba at one point as well. Not sure what he gains out of it seeing as Tottenham concede chances almost as easily as we do and Ronaldo brushed him off like a fly before scoring the winner.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
I thought we deserved the win, didn’t say we were brilliant, thought Spurs were worse though.
I agree with both of you. Spurs were worse but two or three players aside we were shite.

Without the ball we were so poor it was unreal. Tottenham players kept literally walking through us and into our box.

Problem with Tottenham is most of the game I couldn't figure out what they were even trying to do. They just seem to hope Kane turns up and it's enough to win the game for them, and half the time these days he doesn't

steffyr2

The scary thing was that there was no one else who was going to score besides Ronaldo.

Well, the other scary thing is that we couldn't stop Spurs from running through our midfield.

V.O.

And of course, here's what Keane means by 'taking note' of such things:

(warning, I've legitimately seen better quality video from 1903)

siw2007

I agree with both of you. Spurs were worse but two or three players aside we were shite.

Without the ball we were so poor it was unreal. Tottenham players kept literally walking through us and into our box.

Problem with Tottenham is most of the game I couldn't figure out what they were even trying to do. They just seem to hope Kane turns up and it's enough to win the game for them, and half the time these days he doesn't
The problem I have with our team is that they don’t look after the ball well enough. It’s frustrating watching how easily we turnover possession.

I thought Spurs were somewhat predictable. Kane was kept out of the box as much as possible, they didn’t really have a lot of penetration and they were rather unimpressive when they did get their chances. Makes the two goals we conceded even more frustrating.

Man of the Match

Cristiano Ronaldo image Cristiano Ronaldo 92% of 361 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

6.1 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 322 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Tottenham win
  • Draw