FA W FA Cup 4th Round

Tranmere Rovers 0:6 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Sun, 26 January 2020

romufc

It works because it's tranmere

Will it work against city?
Well, we could play any formation V City for none of them to work.

We cannot just base it on one game, lets not forget it was Tranmere.

I am just saying that it is a formation we are having to use because of the players Ole has available.

It is clear he cannot play the way he wants to so he is having to adapt.

Banana Republic

27 years old.
One of the oldest players fielded against Tranmere, after Romero, Matic and Jones.
He should be at the peak of his capabilities by now and is unlikely to get any better, even if he regains some sort of form.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
How about a 4th round 0-0 draw at League 2 Cambridge Utd, the year they dodged relegation to non-league by only 10 points? That was the same season we got pumped 4-0 at MK Dons. People forget how back things were at times under LVG.
MK Dons, Cambridge and FC Midtjylland springs to mind. All during LvG's reign.
Regardless of what happened or didn't happen back then, beating Tranmere won't do anything for us this season. We went on to beat Man City at the Etihad and that result didn't impact us positively. People really forget how bad we actually are. We even beat Chelsea 4-0 on opening day and they're ahead of us in the league

Maticmaker

Scoring six goals without reply, away from home, is a good result whatever the opposition; the fact we had six different scorers, three you might expect in Martial, Lingard and Greenwood, but also three you wouldn't expect in Maguire, Jones and Dalot was uplifting as well.

Last week we had a sh** week, if we could pull off a win on Wednesday, even if we don't progress to the final, would make this week even better and if by some miracle we do get through and if Lingard scores the winning goal, that would be a truly "Robbins moment" for Ole!

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Reporter woman on some radio news today said something like

"United won 6-0 away at Tranmere, avoiding a shock defeat"

What a strange thing to say after a 6-0!
Maybe if we'd snuck through 2-1 in extra time or something.

Maticmaker

Reporter woman on some radio news today said something like

"United won 6-0 away at Tranmere, avoiding a shock defeat"

What a strange thing to say after a 6-0!
Maybe if we'd snuck through 2-1 in extra time or something.
Not really, the back stories behind the headlines in most news media were all ready to crucify United; our win, and in the way we did it trashed a lot of sports news copy yesterday that had already been written and it had all the journo's scrambling to do re-writes. Another bad day at the office for all the ABU pundits and Newscasters.

Paul the Wolf

France - can't win anything with Swedish turnips
Professional performance on a difficult pitch which could have been a tricky tie. Long time since we scored six.

Have played worse teams and even under SAF where we haven't got this type of result. Hopefully a confidence booster , nice to see Jones, Maguire and Dolot with some good goals and even the cone managed to get on the scoresheet.

Enjoyable match to watch although tailed off in the second half but didn't need to exert ourselves.

Last edited:

the gafferjs

[/QUOTE]
It's only Tranmere but some of the finishing was great. The intensity and the majority or our passing was great for an awful pitch.

It was good to see the CB's drive forward.

I don't agree with people saying Pereira was bad, I thought he moved the ball and switched the play well. He has a low ceiling but I dont think he was bad at all. I though Chong and Lingard were worse.

Good to finally see a game with plenty of goals from us.
Disagree on Pereira, he was completely anonymous and non existent as always, how he got 90 minutes again is madness. There was one pass in the second half where he tried a long switch un-opposed and it went out for a throw in, nowhere near anyone in red. the lad clearly tries but he is not good enough, it is time Ole did the decent thing and drops him, playing with 10 would not be any worse.

Chong did nothing apart from one shot off the post, for someone so highly rated am yet to see anything that suggests he is that good.

Lingard getting MOTM from BT Sport is madness, I know someone has to get it but he wasnt best player on pitch, much improved yes but thats it, the minimum you would expect from a Premier League team against a League 1 Side is to show more class. I thought the guy up front for Tranmere deserved MOTM, Ferrier, I know his team lost 6-0 but he put himself about. Giving it to Lingard just smacks of an agenda driven narrative from the Media as it just puts more focus on him, if he is to somehow turn it around then less focus /hype the better.

Gator Nate

Finally watched the match last night, through the pen anyway... What fun!

First off, we didn't look like we were exerting too much effort. We played a very safe game on a pitch worse than our local association (which isn't affiliated with any professional club) plays on.

For those whining about the lineup, it appeared to me that Ole put out a crew that could switch gears if needed and they didn't have the need. We seldom dropped to a back five, and usually only had two in the back with Maguire playing up much of the game. All of the goals were nice, but I liked Maguire's the best, with Dalot's a close second.

Romero's saves were... well... my son's 2006 team's keeper would have made them. Not a knock on our keeper... those just weren't good shots.

Everyone did what they needed to do for a more-than-comfortable win. Should we have played more youth? Maybe, and I would only really complain about the bench, but too many other PL teams have taken these games for granted to their own detriment. That's how we ended up playing this lot in the first place. No one had to over-exert themselves and no one got hurt.

As for those complaining about Pereira and Lingard playing, this was the perfect game for them, expendable squad players that aren't the League One level some might like to attribute to them.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
Scoring six goals without reply, away from home, is a good result whatever the opposition; the fact we had six different scorers, three you might expect in Martial, Lingard and Greenwood, but also three you wouldn't expect in Maguire, Jones and Dalot was uplifting as well.

Last week we had a sh** week, if we could pull off a win on Wednesday, even if we don't progress to the final, would make this week even better and if by some miracle we do get through and if Lingard scores the winning goal, that would be a truly "Robbins moment" for Ole!
I realise that you are trying to be optimistic, but basing your optimism on beating Tranmere who are in League One and in their relegation zone (in other words, their actual form right now is that of a team below League One), is illogical and will only end in disappointment. When we play an EPL side, which we will be doing very soon, we'll get pumped.

I do agree however, the Tranmere, 6-0 win, was a good win.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
As for those complaining about Pereira and Lingard playing, this was the perfect game for them, expendable squad players that aren't the League One level some might like to attribute to them.
I don't think anybody has ever said that Pereira is L1 level. He is probably bottom 6 EPL level.
Lingard is Championship level. I think he'd do very well in the Championship, but EPL is a step to far for him. To not score or assist for an entire year is some achievement. We talk about Ole breaking negative records - Lingard is Ole's embodiment on the pitch (similar to how Roy Keane was Fergie's man).

Maticmaker

I realise that you are trying to be optimistic, but basing your optimism on beating Tranmere who are in League One and in their relegation zone (in other words, their actual form right now is that of a team below League One), is illogical and will only end in disappointment. When we play an EPL side, which we will be doing very soon, we'll get pumped.

I do agree however, the Tranmere, 6-0 win, was a good win.
TBH I am always generally optimistic about and for United, not just this result. I've been a supporter for over sixty years, seen it all from the despair of Munich, the slide into Division two, to marvellous European nights and EPL triumphs and of course the still unsurpassed 'top treble'. United will still be going when I'm gone, the Glazers have gone, and our past and current players great and not so great are just names on a wall.

Its not just blind optimism either, we know because we have been there, done that and bought numerous T shirts. I've been lucky enough to have been a supporter during the age of two of the greatest managers this club, or indeed the world has ever known. That's what feeds my optimism, but a good 6-0 away result always helps!

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Not really, the back stories behind the headlines in most news media were all ready to crucify United; our win, and in the way we did it trashed a lot of sports news copy yesterday that had already been written and it had all the journo's scrambling to do re-writes. Another bad day at the office for all the ABU pundits and Newscasters.
While I agree with your take, it just leapt out as bonkers. As if we'd been behind, then scrambled through 2-1 in extra time or something :)

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Delighted Lingard got his goal. We need to show faith in our young players.
Why do people call Lingard young. He is 27 and should be in his prime.
But his development has stalled and he is now a squad player at best.

bsCallout

Disagree on Pereira, he was completely anonymous and non existent as always, how he got 90 minutes again is madness. There was one pass in the second half where he tried a long switch un-opposed and it went out for a throw in, nowhere near anyone in red. the lad clearly tries but he is not good enough, it is time Ole did the decent thing and drops him, playing with 10 would not be any worse.

Chong did nothing apart from one shot off the post, for someone so highly rated am yet to see anything that suggests he is that good.

Lingard getting MOTM from BT Sport is madness, I know someone has to get it but he wasnt best player on pitch, much improved yes but thats it, the minimum you would expect from a Premier League team against a League 1 Side is to show more class. I thought the guy up front for Tranmere deserved MOTM, Ferrier, I know his team lost 6-0 but he put himself about. Giving it to Lingard just smacks of an agenda driven narrative from the Media as it just puts more focus on him, if he is to somehow turn it around then less focus /hype the better.
[/QUOTE]

I'd be happy to keep Periera. He is a bog standard squad player but will improve slightly. He is only getting minutes because we haven't bought the players for those positions yet.

I agree with you on Chong and Lingard. This is my only concern with people moaning about us getting rid of players. The sooner Chong, Lingard and Jones are out our squad the better.

I think once those three are gone, and Pogba and De Gea for other reason we actually have a fairly decent foundation to add quality on without being bogged down by players on huge wages who dont have the quality or mentality.

Henderson for De Gea in the summer.
Pogba funds used to get 3 quality midfielders.
Chong and Lingard replaced with a genuine quality RW and back up striker.

BR7

We have to be critical and give praise at the right times. I’ve been in ole’s back for months mainly because I don’t think he’s got them working hard and with passion.

This team today worked hard at the level I expect from a United team. The quality of the opponent wasn’t great and we were given time and space to work with .....

But...

You can only beat the team in front of you. They’ve done the job and done it well.

Now Ole, can you get them playing with this intensity and heart against a prem side, every game? The effort was there, I’m happy but let’s also not get carried away.

Stadjer

Why do people call Lingard young. He is 27 and should be in his prime.
But his development has stalled and he is now a squad player at best.
It is a joke. Nobody actually sees him as a 'young and upcoming lad'.

Not too long ago Lingard was always called a young lad in the media and people started to make fun off that.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Happy with the score and those belters. One thing though, those goals were mostly individuals, not really a well work goals if you get what I mean. Except maybe the Dalot's one.

Man of the Match

Harry Maguire image Harry Maguire 56% of 206 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

6.6 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 201 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Tranmere Rovers win
  • Draw