Utd heap

Models for Coin.
Utd won 6-0 lads.

You know, the team we all support.

Enjoy your evenings.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Lovely. I was worried when I saw how many players he didn't rest for this match, then I started rationalising that if he'd fielded the youth it would have been unfair to them, considering the negative atmosphere around the club and our horrid form.

Thought Matic was MOTM in the first half, Maguire very good. Dalot also looked fresh and up to speed even though he's not played in ages.

I don't really care about the cup and I definitely wouldn't prioritise it, but it was good to arrest the slump, at least momentarily.

MiracleInMadrid

Am I the only one who is sick of the way we manage our social media platforms before, during and after matches? The Man United Facebook has posted 24 times since the teamsheet was published and till now. It's like they have gone in complete red alert in order to try to save the narrative of the club.

We playes a team well below our level and anything other than a big victory would be an embarresment. Yet the PR team must be tumbling over each other to push how fantastic a performance it was.

I know that I'm probably just seeing this too much through the perspective of what a terribel state we are in apart from todays match. And maybe this is how most clubs do today to be visible and trying to stay relevant. But almost every bit of communication that is coming from the club makes me feel more and more distanced to the club and how we are profiling ourselves.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
Am I the only one who is sick of the way we manage our social media platforms before, during and after matches? The Man United Facebook has posted 24 times since the teamsheet was published and till now. It's like they have gone in complete red alert in order to try to save the narrative of the club.

We playes a team well below our level and anything other than a big victory would be an embarresment. Yet the PR team must be tumbling over each other to push how fantastic a performance it was.

I know that I'm probably just seeing this too much through the perspective of what a terribel state we are in apart from todays match. And maybe this is how most clubs do today to be visible and trying to stay relevant. But almost every bit of communication that is coming from the club makes me feel more and more distanced to the club and how we are profiling ourselves.
The social media hooplah is primarily addressed at a younger demographic. If it annoys you, congratulations you've upgraded to a grump old git.

UnofficialDevil

Anti Scottish and Preoccupied with Donkeys.
I'm not anti Scottish, I just wanted Moyes out.
They are a team on the verge of relegation in the division below us so we can't really take anything from this game other than it was good to see some nice goals, but the way Maguire and Shaw were just running through them time and again tells you what we were playing against.
They arent in the division below us, they are two levels below. We are level 1 they are level 3 on the verge of 4. About 65 teams below us.

Last edited:

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
Legitimately thought we'd lose it to add to the pile of embarrassing results we've had post-SAF and to pile pressure onto an already toxic situation.

Was set up for the plucky scousers with their shit pitch to beat us and have a romantic cup upset.

Was entirely surprised by the time I found a working stream that we were 3-0 up already and utterly amazed that it was five by half time and six overrall. We NEVER do things this way. It was a bit like England against Panama two years ago, not a cat's chance in hell that we ever live up to what we should in games like this.

Well in lads.

Marcus

Most attacking football we have played this season. Maybe 5 defenders does not mean being defensive. Worth trying the same formation in the Premier League. Might as well try against City first.

mu4c_20le

Most attacking football we have played this season. Maybe 5 defenders does not mean being defensive. Worth trying the same formation in the Premier League. Might as well try against City first.
He used it in the league before, most notably against Liverpool at home, where we almost won. The last time was against Sheffield United in which we got dominated in the first half, and then he abandoned it.

Gasolin

He used it in the league before, most notably against Liverpool at home, where we almost won. The last time was against Sheffield United in which we got dominated in the first half, and then he abandoned it.
That’s because it’s a formation that requires understanding. The wing back have some roles to play for the run etc... it’s not that straight forward. But if it works why not.

Denis79

They arent in the division below us, they are two levels below. We are level 1 they are level 3 on the verge of 4. About 65 teams below us.
And the result reflected that, which means the lads took it seriously and professionally. We badly needed a good display, for confidence if nothing else. I don't care for the FA cup, not this season anyways since I don't believe we have the squad to manage anything on several fronts. Just hope some players gained some confidence for the games ahead.

The 2nd leg vs City couldn't have come at a worse time though...

meninred

How you managed to spell irrelevant correctly is impressive.
Thank you for being such a good fault finder. you would be a great English teacher.Yes one word was misspelled I meant to say read instead of ready.

Nakhon Phanom

Beforehand I was a bit concerned that this match might be a potential banana skin but Tranmere were very poor and maybe a little tired having played Watford on Thursday.
The pitch was a throwback to the 1970,s
But you can only beat whats in front of you so lets just enjoy a 6-0 away win which would have been a good result even if it had been non league opposition.
And looking on the bright side....maybe a couple of new arrivals this week....Fernandes and one other.
Also after his all action display last night,maybe a League 1 side will come in for Lingard !

Doracle

Last time was against Liverpool away when he played a back 3 of Lindelof, Maguire and Shaw, with AWB and Williams as wing backs to press TAA and Robertson.

Eleven-Eighteen

Great result. But I thought Tranmere were piss poor. Good boost for the team. We'll obviously take it

Oh Andreas still sucks.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
I'd scratch everything from this match, it's tranmere

What works well against tranmere will not translate 1:1 if you use it against City.

You can play any sort of formation against tranmere and it'll look good.

romufc

What works well against tranmere will not translate 1:1 if you use it against City.

Isnt it similar to the Rochdale game then? Why didnt any formation look good then?

SweetRightFoot

Credit where it is due. Wasn't sure that we needed the 5 defenders albeit two playing as wing backs, still feel it wasn't totally necessary. Was also unsure of playing certain players on that pitch with our current injury issues. Gladly they came through unscathed.

It was a good result regardless of who we played against. It was a professional performance, we scored some cracking goals with some interesting scorers and I'm happy we won.

:)
Not a personal dig at you mate but this is the kind if thought that holds English football back. Wilder at Sheffield United and even Southgate for the National team (although he hasn't really got it right) know what it's about.

Playing 4-3-3 and 4-5-1 looks sexy and attacking on paper, with players specifically instructed to attack certain areas, but most don't realise than in transitions and during the attack phase, your '5 at the back' (if you can call Wing Backs true defenders) allows you to dominate areas of the pitch your 'attacking' formations won't. 1 of your CB's steps up into the midfield, your wing backs push up to where your 4-3-3 wingers would have been while your numerically inferior forwards are still occupying the opposition defenders. This gives you an extra man in the areas you need without players leaving their usual attacking areas to double up which just leads to the defence switching over to follow you. It's no surprise we saw 2 goals from defenders in open play today.

As you can tell, I'm a huge fan of '5 at the back'!

Reactions: 711

Banana Republic

In the first leg of the CashCow Cup at OT, City played a 5-5-0 formation with no out and out strikers. They attacked us relentlessly and we couldn’t get at them at all.
With that formation, they overloaded in all areas, whether in defence or attack.
Mind you, you’ve got to have the quality players to do it right.

shaky

Games like this with opponents as poor as Tranmere ? I highly doubt it
How about a 4th round 0-0 draw at League 2 Cambridge Utd, the year they dodged relegation to non-league by only 10 points? That was the same season we got pumped 4-0 at MK Dons. People forget how back things were at times under LVG.

JB7

Yeah Watford thought that too.

romufc

So you're saying 352 with jones in the middle is the new dawn, because we beat tranmere 6 - 0 with it?

Come next game we shall see..we shall see
No, you are putting words into what I said. We have tried it on numerous times this season and it hasn't worked V Wolves and SU.

The fact that Jones was destroyed by a League 1 striker shows what level he is at.

However; if you look at this team, where have we got numbers? CB and Full back.

We do not have any real fit wingers either to play any formation that includes wingers.

5-3-2 works because it allows Martial to drop and Greenwood to occupy spaces.

This works because of who we have available, obviously with a fully fit squad it wouldn't be my preference.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
No, you are putting words into what I said. We have tried it on numerous times this season and it hasn't worked V Wolves and SU.

The fact that Jones was destroyed by a League 1 striker shows what level he is at.

However; if you look at this team, where have we got numbers? CB and Full back.

We do not have any real fit wingers either to play any formation that includes wingers.

5-3-2 works because it allows Martial to drop and Greenwood to occupy spaces.

This works because of who we have available, obviously with a fully fit squad it wouldn't be my preference.
It works because it's tranmere

Will it work against city?

Alemar

When was the last time when two players scored their first goals for Man Utd in the same match?

Man of the Match

Harry Maguire image Harry Maguire 56% of 206 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

6.6 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 201 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Tranmere Rovers win
  • Draw