EL L Europa League Final

Villarreal 1:1 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Wed, 26 May 2021

Dobba

Utterly amazing. We play all 5 of our best attacking players, you could write their collective attacking contributions to the game on the back of a stamp and it's the manager to blame for being a coward and not sticking a different goalkeeper on for penalties.

I thought Kier Starmer had the easiest job in the world, turns out it's playing for United. Unless you're Rashford you can get away with absolutely anything.

DickDastardly

Who gives a feck.

We all knew what was gonna happen from the start.

As the game progressed, it just became more obvious.

We all knew changes needeed to happen sooner, we knew about DDG lack of pen keeping....

ForeverRed1

massive ole fan.. but that was really really poor. The summer business we do is massive now. Next season is huge, bigger than ever:

pablo__p

Didn't deserve to win.

IMO Ole is the biggest reason why it ended up like this.

I'm surprisingly calm. We were so poor for a team of our stature that it's just embarassing what we showed on the pitch.

Ricky Spanish

Should have won it in normal time, we had the stronger team. Just didn't believe it, that's all. Amazing number of good penalties, but as soon as DDG stepped up I knew it was over. Their GK scored a good one, ours is a bottle merchant through and through.

Zexstream

Anti-anti-racist
We were pure rubbish, never in the game and Olle must have spent all of the extra time picking his first 5 for pentalites.

Cant blame Dave, Penalty shootouts rarely get to goalkeepers.

I blame Olle and Olle alone.

Time for a new manager, we were lucky in the end to hold on to 2nd place in the premier league.

Blood Mage

De Gea deserves to lose his spot to Henderson next season, even if overall he's still a better keeper. At least penalty shootouts won't be a forgone conclusion for us!

LoneStar

I was really hoping to see Henderson for the penalties. I knew DDG wouldn't save any, it's never been his thing.

But regardless of that, this isn't on DDG by any margin. Should have put this to the bed in 90 mins. God knows what we were doing. No subs, no tactics, just send the players out and hope for the best. Pathetic.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Shouldn't have ever gone to penalties. Once we equalised, we were all over them and didn't make it count. But it was just poor game management. Once they started making subs, we looked leggy. We barely did anything of note in extra time, the team was shot.

De Gea's record from penalties is abysmal, there were some excellent penalties against him in the shootout, but I'm certain Henderson would have stopped one or two of those. There was two he got very close to, but was just way too soft.

Conceding all 11 penalties and then missing yours is just brutal though. The other keeper took his like a goal kick. You're a keeper, don't try and roll it in like your Cantona, just fecking twat it.

I'm not Ole out, I can see the progress made, but I'm increasingly doubtful he's the man to push it to the next level.

lilcurt

DDG can feck off.

Ole didn't lose the match. A 1-1 is a draw, not a defeat, last time I checked out.

When your GK is unable to save a single penalty out of 11, and misses his shot, you know he needs to feck off from this club. Aloof looking has-been.
100% on Ole...

Firstly a match against those lot shouldn't get to pens. Bad decision after bad decision from Ole in terms of not making subs and then making the wrong ones when he did.

Secondly, DDG looked awful on pens, do you believe he is saving them left and right in training? A manager you gets the details brings Hendo on for pens.

redzombie

DDG should never have been put in that position, how he wasnt subbed for the pens was utterly, utterly baffling.

stevoc

Better team won. We both had a game plan and theirs came out trumps.
As it often does when your game plan is to play ultra defensive, waste time and hope for penalties, which you've obviously been practicing for for weeks.

cosimas

I would have brought on Deano for the penalty shoot out, but too many of our lads were off their game tonight. Ballbags.

Gopher Brown

Absolutely shite performances all round. Bizarre substitutions. Shocking defending for their goal. De Gea nowhere near saving any penalties. No urgency. Dreadful end to an okay season.

Judge Red

Don't Call Me Douglas
Credit to the players in the shoot out. I’d already bottled it halfway through.

Siorac

The shootout perked me up a bit after the thoroughly deflating experience of the 120 minutes before.

Honestly, UEFA should have just declared that no one gets the trophy this season, on account of crimes against football.

Banana Republic

We lost that final in normal time, by not subbing off Rashford. Woeful.
Pogba was tidy and involved , but he just faded away towards the end. Fantastically skilful and talented player, but nowhere near world class and doesn’t offer us anything.
With Bruno shackled for large parts of the game, we just played into Villarreal’s hands.
Hardly any attempts on target all game.
Progress, what progress?

Zhagzi

The downfall of a man who once held United together in strings by himself.

Walters_19_MuFc

People can shit chat about McTominay all they fecking want but he was pur best player tonight.

Maybe if our other so called top player performed, we'd have finished this game in normal time.

People will of course blame Ole but his players let him down tonight. That front four should have got the job done. Not good enough. Im gutted. Really am!

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
I'm confused....when exactly has Henderson showed his prowess at saving penalties??

Mr Anderson

Eats, shoots, leaves
Ole takes the blame. On top second half, failed to make changes to keep us fresh, Villarreal make changes at the right times to get them over the line. We eventually made subs, but Rashford staying on was mindboggling - Ole and his favourites through thick and thin.

penos are a lottery.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
Worrying performance wise. We were atrocious during the game. We actually had a good penalty shootout.

Does not bode well for next season. Rashford was terrible. Pogba was awful in the second half.

We were too cocky before hand i feel. Thought we would hammer them.

sdb4884

Pathetic no excuses should have won in the 90 mins. Having a technically inept manager costs us again in a big game. Wake the feck up and sign a fecking proper manager.

Irrational.

Ole has to go. He has always been a caretaker manager and has done nothing in his tenure here to suggest he has what it takes to be United manager.

What a fecking bottler. Absolutely disgusted by his in-game management tonight.

DDG never looked confident - he's been shot for a while. Any manager with any balls would've put Henderson on for the pens.

And don't get me started on Rashford.

Fecking hell. We can probably say goodbye to Sancho or any of the other big name players we've been linked with.

This final was a walk in the park for any manager except amateur Ole.

Fuming.

bdspeedy

The penalty takers did great. Can't blame DeGea for missing. This loss is on Ole. He's run out of luck. Look forward for more of the same as long as our ownership and management stay the same. Dog shit ownership. Dog shit managment. Dog shit coaching. The fans deserve and need to demand better.

abailey123

Gutted, fecking gutted! If you’re Donny Van de Beek you’re in Oles office first thing demanding a transfer. We’ve got to shift away from a 4-2-3-1, or find a holding midfielder who can allow us to push up against a low block side.

tomaldinho1

Our goal was a deflected shot. We create f all unless Bruno makes something magic happen. Either we replace Ole or we hire in a head coach because there is no defending that performance. Tactically we're about as creative as a brick.

This was against fecking Villarreal!!!!!!!

MrSingh2002

Easy enough game to navigate as a manager. Could not have got it more wrong. All of his shortcomings as a manager highlighted in one match.

Sack is the only answer. He's a numpty. Bring back the sack Ole thread and let's it over the line this time.

Player Ratings

5.2 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 304 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Villarreal win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 27% Villarreal 1:2 Man Utd
  • 21% Villarreal 1:3 Man Utd