EL L Europa League Final

Villarreal 1:1 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Wed, 26 May 2021

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
Ole showing his limitations today.

Love him, wouldn't change him yet, but don't expect us to win anything with him. He just doesn't have "it".

His game management hurt us.

Lord Zlatan

Poor performance but even worse game management. Same failings that cost in the semi against Sevilla. Lindeloff and de gea. But pogba didnt show up, rashford is shot. McT had a good game.

killerboi2

Good ebening Ole... Nah I ain't too upset, only the Europa. Trophies will come. Absolutely horrendous by both keepers in penalty shootout especially DDG. Can't believe the other team scored 11 pens.

The Urban Goose

This United team in a nutshell. Soft goal following errors by DDG, Pogba and Lindelof, and an entirely predictable DDG penalty horror show after Ole failed to see the obvious and bring Henderson on. Feck the lot of them.

Penny for Henderson's thoughts tonight...

ti vu

With hindsight, Ole should have kept Romero happy. He's better GK for the penalty than De Gea. Henderson was not tested, so it's obvious, Ole would never sub Henderson in during penalty shootout.

Extra time tactic was coward. Again with hindsight with how De Gea is not very good at saving penalty. Why did Ole try to hold out for the penalty shoot out where we had the upper hand for the second half. Should have maintained that pressure. Should have tried to go for it.

Pretzels81

Not Salty…
DDG can feck off.

Ole didn't lose the match. A 1-1 is a draw, not a defeat, last time I checked out.

When your GK is unable to save a single penalty out of 11, and misses his shot, you know he needs to feck off from this club. Aloof looking has-been.

lilcurt

Ole out!!!

There are ways to lose games. Ole literally made terrible decision after terrible decision throughout this game. Even if we had got lucky and won the shootout I would have felt the same. Game after Game, when it comes to the crunch he doesn't cut it.

SmashedHombre

Memberus Anonymous & Legendus
Honestly not that bothered. Unfortunately, neither were the players.

smi11ie

Not a philogynist
Supports
Rangers
Ole has to take some blame for the Extra-time melt down. What just happened? He anti-managed that team in Extra-time.

hobbers

Embarrassing bottlers led by someone out of his depth.

1 final. 4 semi finals. Champions league groups with 9 points from 9. Choke artists.

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
Rashford was dire the entire game.

As soon as it went to pens I felt Villareal would win it.

Shame for DDG of course, penalties aren't his strong suit.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Seasons like these are exhausting without the highs of silverware. I’m exhausted and absolutely fecking gutted.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
That was just a complete and utter feckup by Ole and the staff. I love the guy to pieces but he gambled on the starting eleven doing the job and when they didn't we had feck all options left on the bench. Compounded the abysmal management by not removing one of the worst penalty saving GK's in extra time despite making only 1 sub in 115mins of football. That is entirely on Ole.

Shambles, utter, utter shambles.

Paul778

Terrible. Not the penalties although DDG was terrible all the way through

Ever since the Fred substitution we just sat back, no risks. Rashford on the field clearly lagging. Why Greenwood off and not Rashford?

Just can't understand it

The Hilton

Matches like that come down to big moments - Rashford missed a sitter (only thing he did right all match was the pen), and we were out on our feet for pens.

DDG just doesn't save penalties, Hendo in goal and we probably win that.

Aretak

Cowardly from Ole I'm afraid. Villarreal were there for the taking and he didn't have the balls to go for it. Saved up his subs for penalties like a small-time manager happy to see it go that far. Utter rubbish from him tonight, and it's worrying that he bottled it so hard on the big occasion.

Gandalf Greyhame

If in doubt, follow your nose!
Scout
Ole bottled that game. Poor tactics, poor subs, wasted ET, had wrong keeper on for penalties. He has let the club, the players, SAF and the fans down.

Blame the players as much as you like, he's the one who left them on the pitch with 5 subs in hand. He is solely responsible for that defeat against a poor Villareal side. Another European game where he has crumbled under pressure.

Roboc7

Got what we deserved, loss on penalties felt inevitable from start of extra time.

Ole needs to hang his head in shame, embarrassed himself tonight and will rightly start next season under some pressure now.

Barthez

In OLE we trust.

It came down to a lottery. Shouldn’t have lost but that’s football, just as we shouldn’t have won in 1999.

Love the team, love the manager.

Let’s stop crying, recruit well and push on next season.

RedDevilRoshi

Cruel way to lose a game but it is what it is.

We should have finished this lot off inside the 90 mins. Poor decision making in the final third and defending set pieces let us down once again.

podurban2

A
This United team in a nutshell. Soft goal following errors by DDG, Pogba and Lindelof, and an entirely predictable DDG penalty horror show after Ole failed to see the obvious and bring Henderson on. Feck the lot of them.

Penny for Henderson's thoughts tonight...
Agreed. This is on Ole.

Triple.Threat

Ole is a nothing manager and this isn't based on today's bottle job. When we realize this then progress could be expected.

r0663664

Worships Man City
Sorry Ole, taking a next step. I think you should be taking a next step. How many times have De Gea save a penalty? It is about statistics, not about belief and hoping he will save one. Why is even Rashford on the pitch. Overrated player, I am feeling he is the next Martial. Naive manager who thinks this squad is good enough, he is good enough.

lost7

Why couldn't he make some decent subs earlier? We literally didn't create anything in 30 minutes of extra time

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Another manager's bottle job. Guy is just not a winner. We should and could beat these in 90 minutes

JB08

Searches for nude pics of Marcos Rojo
On the plus side, we are continuing our emulation of Liverpool when Klopp first took over

Ollie Derbyshire

Shocking performance in a final, no energy, no movement, no imagination. Cant believe we didn’t go for it in 90mins let alone 120!

Played out extra time for penalties which is disgraceful.

JakeC

Last Man Standing 2 champion 2020/21
First time I've felt let down by a referee since Nani was sent off.

Toshey

Supports
Levski Sofia
Awful game, Fernandes, Pogba and Rashford were DREADFUL!
Our main players let us down...

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
Yeah I think this end to the season is reflective of Ole's level. This United team was talented enough to win the game, but as the old thread goes, we are awfully coached and rely on moments.

Rubbish effort tonight.

DevilRed

Proud of the lads. Good season but really should have got that trophy for Ole.

Penalties was always going to be a lottery. villareal played the exact game they hoped for. They were in dreamland when they scored first as they knew we would be chasing.

Lindelof should be replaced in the summer. Don't want to see him in the first eleven anymore. Tuanzebe makes far less mistakes even.

A real shame because now all the Ole out people will somehow blame it on him.

We deserved the victory. We were the better team but similar to sevilla last season, we got smash and grabbed.

OGS really has no luck as a manager. Hopefully that changes and we get stronger from this.

There is ABSOLUTELY NO EXCUSE for the Glazers not to spend upwards of 100m this summer. Absolutely NONE.

Superunknown

Awful game management. Huge opportunity missed. I never felt confident once it went into extra time and then the shootout. We needed to make changes muuuuuch sooner and should've created a lot more chances in the initial 90 minutes. It's a trophy! You need to go for it...

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC
We never win when it comes to pens.

We got lucky in 2008 when terry slipped.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Yes, the ref was terrible, but we still struggled with the same things we've struggled with for quite some time now; breaking down defenses, defending set pieces, being streetwise in Europe (as more often than not you play against absolute cuunts). And Ole, reacting slowly to how the game pans out.

How the feck does Bruno decide to go 2nd during the pens? He invited more pressure on us doing that.

Anyhow, another poor end to a season under Ole.

plus side: we looked like we practiced pens.

MU655

The performance was awful. McTominay being seen as the man of the match based on that performance sums up how bad it actually was.

Two and a half seasons now without a trophy for Solskjaer. It is something that is dragging on now, and is becoming a bigger concern. He has the biggest net spend of any Premier League club.

We need to be better than this.

RedBanker

I love you Ole
I have no idea why Ole did not attempt to win the game in 90 mins.
No subs.
Penalties is no good for English teams. I know this. And I don't know why Ole doesn't.
In any case, the EL trophy is notoriously difficult to win. We made the final, so it's a decent stab at the competition.
:lol: :lol: Already the apologies are rolling in. Even washed up Mourinho won this for us with a much more inferior squad.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
Look, you can say what you want about not having a good enough subs bench to make replacements earlier, that may be true, but EVERYONE knew that Dr Gea is hopeless on penalties and Henderson is good at them and yet he didn't make the sub, just dreadful management there.

Player Ratings

5.2 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 304 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Villarreal win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 27% Villarreal 1:2 Man Utd
  • 21% Villarreal 1:3 Man Utd