EL L Europa League Final

Villarreal 1:1 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Wed, 26 May 2021

Halftrack

That was shit, feel like I've just wasted a few hours of my life.

I was reasonably happy with the first 90, and can understand the reluctance to make changes, Rashford is capable of coming up with goals and assists even when playing like shit. When ET was looming large, and especially when it became reality, he should have made some changes. I can't understand why we didn't put Amad or James on. Why not both? Or throw Donny on for Rashford and move Pogba to the left.

Ole really needs to start being more proactive with his subs. Yeah, we lack quality in depth, but even humdrum squad players can punish tired legs.

tompo18

I have some bad news for all the people whinging about Ole, the players are not good enough.

drunkmonkmeth

Supports
Toronto FC!
Ole to blame. Also had zero faith in degea to save any pens.. we need big improvements next season tactically.. bringing in quality players isnall good but if we struggle again parked busses like this consistently while conceding set piece goals we will go nowhere

Globule

signature/tagline creator extraordinaire
Stop crying babies and fecking back the manager and players.
No one has a right to win anything
It's not simply the loss. It's the manner of the defeat and Ole's complete inaction.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
Piss poor performances, once again no real tactics from Ole - obvious long before the hour mark that something needed to change but he doesn't have the experience or nous for it. Also blatantly obvious that he had to bring on Henderson for the shoot out - does he not know that DDG doesn't ever save them? Did he even go the right way once? And you could tell he would miss his own penalty from the moment he put the ball on the spot

If I was Donny, I'd leave tomorrow.Use of subs worse than ever - so many people were playing badly, had to make changes. How could Mata not have been used when so many deserved the hook?

I don't see this progression people keep going on about - it's all spin and PR. We were snuffed out by a team that finished 7th in Spain. And we'll go on playing the same way and getting the same results unless we make a change

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
I'm afraid it won't be easy for de Gea to take. It's going to be interesting... in a wrong way. I think he looked as if he was somewhere else. He wasn't that focused on saving penalties and therefore there shouldn't be a surprise that he was to one who missed. And I'm writing this as his fan and someone who has always supported him. It was simply sad to watch those penalties.

It's always painful to lose on penalties, but we never showed we wanted to win that game after Cavani's goal. Normally you'd expect chasing the second one. We didn't even try to chase, we didn't make substitutions until 100th minute (how is it even possible?!).

Ole got it wrong, de Gea didn't do enough.

Painful, simply painful to lose a final. And lose it on penalties...
De Gea didn’t save penalties when he was in 2015-2018 god mode. It’s just not him. Which makes it even more baffling that Henderson didn’t play.

Silverman

I get everyone's frustration but I don't blame Ole for much.
I think it was evident that we badly need to strengthen the squad. Who wud people of brought on in the 90 mins. I understand for fresh legs but there was no obvious change coming from the bench.
De Gea was very poor for the penalities. He got close to one out of 11. Just not good enough.

MrSingh2002

Atleast LVG and Jose got us a trophy or two.

Ole should be fired and not backed in another window for him to not even use the players he signs.

He signed VdB, James and Telles but didn't use them until the final minutes.

He gave another one away.

DON’T PANIC ™

Rashford and Bruno had poor games. The form of both has been a bit meh for a while now.
Definitely need an upgrade on Lindelof, if Ole can’t see it he’s blind.

RedBanker

I love you Ole
Because we're clearly progressing and under the current climate, we won't be able to rebuild to fit a new manager.

A change now, unless you're bringing in Pep or Klopp, sends us backwards.
Stats don't say that. We have only 75 odd PL points. We have zero cups again. We imploded as per usual in the last part of the season.

And we gifted the game to them today. The manager failed horrifically in the most important game of the season and also of his managerial career.

youngrell

Just glad it wasn’t Dan James. Don’t think I could have handled seeing that particular puppy kicked around to that level.

RedChisel

An absolute wet fart of a team. Couldn't even get over the line against the 7th best team in Spain. I really don't think I can be bothered watching this shit again next season. Nothing is going to change. Which players who want to win things are going to come here.

Wheato

A lottery in the end. We got Burnley'd by them. It was obvious that they were going to put everyone behind the ball from the first ten mins on, and then rely on set pieces. Literally the worst final I have ever seen. One team trying to score, another team trying to stop them from scoring.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
I can't understand how we could be so shit in the first half and how cautious we were at 1-1. They were there for the taking and we treated them like Bayern or City.

No idea how Rashford wasn't subbed by HT, let alone the rest of the game. Can only have been for a penalty as did nothing else and ruined our left side.

Felt sorry for Cavani, scores, chases back, good attitude. Him and McT deserved better.

De Gea, never looked like saving a penalty. Or scoring one.

On the positive side, at least we're losing finals now, not semis? So glass half full eh? :(

Going to bed

90 + 5min

Should have won but somehow lost. That happens. And penalties are 50/50. Villareal should get some credit for their penaties. Almost every one was unsaveable.

McTomminay and Cavani very good.

MrSingh2002

You could give this chump a world class squad and I reckon he still runs 11 into the ground all season.

Dobba

Ole needs to be shown the door. Poch might be available as PSG might go for Zidane. It is the right time to.appoint Poch.
He's failed to win the French league with two players who'd walk into any XI in world football. Let's give him a go with Dan James and Amad Diallo, what with Rashford being done and absolutely no signings needed if he is manager.

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.
To be fair we deserved nothing from that, we were garbage. Didnt think they were all that but we gave up in extra time. Very very poor.
I thought we were good second half. Extra time...I don’t really know what to say. We seemed to be playing for pens. Very odd. And how rashford lasted 45 minutes let alone 120 is just criminal.

ManRed

It was our game to lose and well we lost it. Not making subs when your first xi players are not up to mark is criminal. How Rashford lasts for that long is unacceptable at a top level. ET we had no energy to even press and practically stopped playing.

This loss was on Ole alone.

Nori-

We desperately need a world class CB and an attacking RB. Lindelof and AWB were useless tonight.

stu_1992

I am bitter at that one. I feared we'd lose once we had the Maguire injury but the way we did was particularly painful. Not going to blame De Gea for the miss but we should never have let the game get to where it was. Some bizarre ingane management from Ole didn't help either.

dogwithabone

What must DVDB be thinking ? Surely OGS has to show more trust in him as a potential game changing sub as the game was drifting. And surely he can take a f****** penalty too.

RedBanker

I love you Ole
Inappropriate Behavior
Get a grip of yourself and go and support city. You back your club whatever!!!
You crawl back to the hole which you crept put of. Or choke on the back your manager cock you are sucking so hard.

The fact we have no quality in depth has cost us again.

Ole had no real choice but to pick our strong starting 11. But we have no quality to bring them on when the 11 are inevitably knackered after the season just played.

Immense shoot out, highest standard i've ever seen from both teams.

Another step on the journey for this young team.

Player Ratings

5.2 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 304 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Villarreal win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 27% Villarreal 1:2 Man Utd
  • 21% Villarreal 1:3 Man Utd