CL W Champions League Group F

Manchester United 2:1 Villarreal

Post-match discussion

Wed, 29 September 2021

Giggsy13

Does anyone think we could play like this and survive against a decent side? Ole is not going to win us any trophies. yes it is a good three points because they were worse than us in scoring. Their keeper didn't have to make any saves while Degea made 5 very good saves. We got played out of the park. They had a plan while we didn't.
Villareal are a decent and well organized side. Enjoy the win FFS

NICanRed

Dave saves!
Even though he has many haters I always feel more comfortable with Matic on the field.
Cavani has a big heart.
Right back at United doesn't seem to be Dalot's position. Better as RWB perhaps although his crossing from RB was poor. I had thought we might go for a back 3 in the second half with Bailly coming on.
Pogba disappointing today - he can be so hot or cold.

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
Look, that quite ridiculous Ronaldo drama unquestionably covered for a multitude of terribly worrying sins…. But feck it if you have the energy to argue that right now. I had to go for a long walk through a dodgy south London park just to get my heart rate down…. That, and I’d woken the baby up, so it was better for everyone if I was out of the house tbh…

it’s for another day….. that day on current evidence likely being when we fail to beat them away

OrcaFat

Absolutely this. Matic came on and took control of that game. They were pegged back from that moment on. He played through their lines. Didn't pass it backwards. We need to keep him in the team. He is our best CDM.
Matic did well but he is often absolutely shit. Some games suit him and it helps if the oppos are already knackered. Bringing him on in the second half is probably the best thing we can do with him.

The Purley King

We are fecking lucky.
We could and should have been 3-0 at half time.
Don’t get me wrong I love that we’ve won in the end but a decent team would take us apart.
Despite today’s result it’s made me even more intrenched with ole out.
We should have got dicked by a midtable Spanish outfit. Ta da ole. Time is up sunshine

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away
On another note did anyone catch Hargreaves say that Telles was Bruno's Portuguese Team Mate or did I imagine that, because I'm 99% sure he did. Only to catch himself and then just continue on anyway.... :lol:

Wheato

Can we recall Brandon Williams for right back. Dalot got skinned, turned inside out and had his pants pulled down. He was a liability for us. Williams would have twatted him into the stands.

The Purley King

The chances villareal had they should have won by 2 or 3 goals.
Yes e have a good keeper but we were dominated in many respects tonight .
Lucky lucky

Wheato

We are fecking lucky.
Don’t get me wrong I love that we’ve won in the end but a decent team would take us apart.
We should have got dicked by a midtable Spanish outfit. Ta da ole. Time is up sunshine
Villareal haven't lost in 15 games. They are a decent, well organised team. There's a reason why Real Madrid couldn't break them down, last weekend. They keep the ball, slow the game down, play it safe. And they have some proper decent defenders.

Last edited:

ShinjiNinja26

Excellent last minute winner from Ronaldo, he’s unreal. It still doesn’t hide the fact we were worryingly poor yet again for large parts of the game.

gza the genius

I thought we looked decent honestly after the first 15 minutes or so. Pretty much all of our problems could be blamed on Dalot, with AWB in I think we'd have looked very comfortable.

croadyman

Good to hear the crowd giving Ole plenty of support. Made up for him , got his subs right tonight.
He clearly will always have the matchday support much like any Utd manager, however there's nothing wrong in being able to see through the result tonight and recent performances either.

The Brown Bull

It's Coming Home.
Dramatic win in time honored traditional swashbuckling United fashion .
Papered over some cracks though.
Cavani improved us when he came on.
So did Matic.
DeGea is back.
Ronnie is a genius but the service to him needs to improve.
Think how could we could be if we started every game like we were 1 down?
Think Rashy on the left is needed.
Love this Club!

croadyman

Why can I not tag this Sean_Red_Whatever guy who was actively hoping and predicting that Ole would lose his 8th CL game today?
If he is banned then this is the 2nd best thing today after our win just now.
He doesn't deserve to be banned just for voicing his opinion on Ole not being good enough because many others probably feel the same as well

The Purley King

Villareal haven't lost in 15 games. They are a decent, well organised team. There's a reason why Real Madrid couldn't break then down, last weekend. They keep the ball, slow the game down, play it safe. And they have some proper decent defenders.
And they could and should have scored 3 or 4 goals against us.
This wasn’t a masterclass it was a spawny shitshow

PoTMS

Thank God for Ronaldo. At the end of the day, it's a results business and I'm chuffed with the win which finally gets our UCL campaign started but my god, that was an awful performance. I'm perplexed as to how we didn't lose that one by 4 or 5. It was like our game against Sevilla but in reverse. Onwards and upwards, we needed that win.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
He doesn't deserve to be banned just for voicing his opinion on Ole not being good enough because many others probably feel the same as well
He does! Voicing an opinion on Ole and actively hoping for us to lose (which he clearly did) are two completely different things.

Jordan_mufc

I thought we looked decent honestly after the first 15 minutes or so. Pretty much all of our problems could be blamed on Dalot, with AWB in I think we'd have looked very comfortable.
Find it hard to agree with this. Although Dalot was god awful, his team mates weren't much better. Midfield was like a sieve, build up play was horrendous as McTominay was hiding and Bruno + Pogba are experts at giving the ball away.

Front three was disjointed, although I do feel Sancho played well, and Ronaldo was non-existent until the last min.

Happy with the win though.

croadyman

He does! Voicing an opinion on Ole and actively hoping for us to lose (which he clearly did) are two completely different things.
Look I don't agree with doing that but he is obviously someone who just doesn't want us to waste the most talented squad we have had in years

redIndianDevil

Villareal haven't lost in 15 games. They are a decent, well organised team. There's a reason why Real Madrid couldn't break them down, last weekend. They keep the ball, slow the game down, play it safe. And they have some proper decent defenders.
And a smart manager which we don’t

croadyman

If anyone is wondering why we are still 3rd behind Young Boys despite scoring one more than them it's because the full name is BSC Young Boys

The Purley King

But they didn't. Which is probably why they have only one win but five draws in La Liga.
The point is that they cut through us like butter and should really have won the game.
That is a complete aberration against a team that cost 10% of what ours did.
If you can’t see that as a potential problem then I can’t help you.

big rons sovereign

We are fecking lucky.
Off you pop then. I'm sure ole will be gutted to see you go. :rolleyes:

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
My lord, we needed that.

Luck, brilliance or whatever is was. It was needed. Very much so.
People didn’t want to hear this before the match, but it was always the case. The chances were tonight that we weren’t going to both beat Villarreal and put in a very convincing underlying performance that deserved the three points. Villarreal’s record shows that they are gnarly as feck. They are tough to beat and even when they lose games, they generally are not outplayed. Emery has them very well set up. They have had no losses so far this season and a look at the games they lost in La Liga in 2021 shows that only Barca beat them convincingly. All the other losses were close matches on the xG or they were even games that Villarreal might have ordinarily expected to win.

If your expectation for United tonight was a comfortable three points, then you were always likely to be disappointed.

Blood Mage

Second half we were decent overall and worth the comeback, but the first half was a typical omnishambles and Ole needs to sort it the feck out.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
Of course.
banged way too much money to be one of those idiots who leaves early. Some left on 81, meaning they missed 14mins!!
Well worth it?

Don't understand people like that. I stay for a while after. Especially if got my mates tickets by the tunnel... stay and watch post match interviews.

Wheel, the, Ole, at

The Purley King

Off you pop then. I'm sure ole will be gutted to see you go. :rolleyes:
Regrettably he’ll still be faking some tactical acumen long after I’ve been drained of any real emotion about his lack of nous.
We will not win anything with him in charge and if you really believe an incredibly fortunate win against second rate opposition at home will see him turn the corner then more fool you.

RedCurry

Needed all of that Ronaldo CL experience to pull that one off. It shouldn’t be this hard. Either way, very happy that we have taken the 3 points. We really must improve our style of play and tempo.

Man of the Match

David de Gea image David de Gea 85% of 414 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

6.0 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 373 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Villarreal win
  • Draw