CL W Champions League Group F

Manchester United 2:1 Villarreal

Post-match discussion

Wed, 29 September 2021

Thankfully I didn't watch first half (going by reactions it was a torture?). 2nd half we were better team I would say. Still our usual issues with play style remain but Ole the cat carries on with another life. Hugely important win nonetheless given the circumstances.
It was the fun kind of torture like 4-7 years ago, team play crap and our best moments are DDG keeping us in the match. But now we have the players to score and snatch a win so hope is never lost

United Hobbit

Result has papered over the cracks. I'd even say tissue papered over it, paper is too strong

This is the difference with Ronaldo, he's had a poor game by his standards, but has that winning mentality, he was the one trying to get us going and showing desire

Watching us jog round passively seemingly having settled for the draw, just before they nearly scored was infuriating.

Ole is lucky DDG has found his top form, or we'd be in serious trouble recently

If they could finish they'd have been out of sight in the first half

I'm glad we won but Ole's got to go he's out of his depth and taken us as far as he can

Foxbatt

We didn't deserve to win. They could have scored 5 and we didn't get any decent ones before Cavani's attempt. Good to have the three points.

Wheato

We simply had to win that game. It was only when Matic came on that we actually took control. He stood infront of the back 4, picked up the ball and played it forward or drove through the lines and pegged them back. Cavani needs to play.

Kopral Jono

Much, much better second half considering the shambles of the first. Ole, to his credit, got his subs spot on. Dalot is incredibly shit.

Jack-C20

Bruno is brilliant in interviews. No generic answers and carries himself really well.

MrBest

Lingard has done more in a handful of sub minutes than Sancho has done in all the starts he's had. Might be no harm to take Sancho out of the firing line for a while. He's clearly an excellent player but he's been awful for us really if we're going to be honest.
I think that's fair but tonight i did think he started to show signs of what he can do. Regular starting may be important to get him going. Even though i am nervous with Jesse starting, I'm not adverse to it.

Shiva87

Taking Pogba off was the turning point.
We quickened up our attacking moves from that point and bring Matic on allowed us to take some badly needed control in midfield.
Don’t unrated Matic’s impact from the point he came on. He gave us the drive that was totally lacking with Pogba and Bruno earlier.
Scotty came into the game second half, after being anonymous for the first.…..and Fred? He created the winning chance with that cross.
Agree on Matic. He brought so much composure to our midfield. At one point he is shouting at his teammates to slow it down so the team can get into position to defend any transition.

Without him, we really play a ping pong match! Need someone to really talk to our wing backs and midfielders to build up some play!

Bobski

We can't carry that many defensive passengers, game should have been over by 30 mins. Defenders get so much criticism but with that level of cover they have no chance.

Can't wait for Rashford to come back, and the way it is going Lingard may have to start.

BoulderDevil

Much better 2nd half from ole and the team. Smart subs from Ole. We finally beat them!

ash_86

Last 30 minutes was pure fun. Wish we do that all game. I think we edged them overall.

Okey

I pray we have enough 'moments' to celebrate something meaningful this season. Longer term, we will need more than that. Until then, I'll enjoy the buzz and good vibes. Viva Ronaldo!!!

VivaRonaldo85

3 points in this format was imperative. But the performance was dreadful and individuals have dug it out the fire again. Unless we improve fast, we aren’t going anywhere this season.

Lingard has done more in a handful of sub minutes than Sancho has done in all the starts he's had. Might be no harm to take Sancho out of the firing line for a while. He's clearly an excellent player but he's been awful for us really if we're going to be honest.
He just needs games to adapt to the new club and new system. Dropping him is the last thing you do.

gerdm07

Thinks we should have kept Pereira
Taking Pogba off was the turning point.
We quickened up our attacking moves from that point and bring Matic on allowed us to take some badly needed control in midfield.
Don’t unrated Matic’s impact from the point he came on. He gave us the drive that was totally lacking with Pogba and Bruno earlier.
Scotty came into the game second half, after being anonymous for the first.…..and Fred? He created the winning chance with that cross.
Matic coming on was much more important than Pogba going off. Every match we play I see a holding midfielder that is better than Fred, McT and Matic (except on his day). Today it was Capoue. I'm baffled why we couldn't buy a decent DM over the summer.

Overall, I'm getting worried and losing faith in Ole. We were very lucky to win and the play was very sporadic. Even Ronaldo looked pretty bad until he scored.

Plant0x84

Shame we’re aren’t more like Brighton
Carpark and snack area adjacent to the abyss
Solid if unspectacular first half. What a second half. Love to see the pressing, the energy and the fighting to the end.
Great subs from Ole. Wonderful tactics to affect the game positively. Two amazing goals - lovely free kick routine For the first. David was great, probably man of the match. Thought Victor and Rafa looked good together too. Will be interesting to see them with AWB at the weekend Dalot was our weak link tonight. Perfect result, get it up ye you submarine shithouses!

MattofManchester

Watching our games this season has made me slightly sad, as I'm now leaning to the fact that it's likely we're going to reach a point where we've not won a PL or CL for more than a decade.

Toad

Lingard and Cavani changed the game. The work they put in especially Cavani is incredible. De gea my man of the match, incredible form this season. Dalit probably worst player on the pitch, gave him a 2, would have been a 1 if not for that 2 on 1 defending.

bigbob

I think that's fair but tonight i did think he started to show signs of what he can do. Regular starting may be important to get him going. Even though i am nervous with Jesse starting, I'm not adverse to it.

Pure confidence is all that's missing. Get him a goal or even an assist and he's going to start skinning lads for fun. The longer he goes without it the more it's going to weigh on him.

Jesse's been great since he's came back (back pass aside) but I think we all know he's not the long term answer. I dunno what the best thing would be.

buckooo1978

When will we control a game again?

Chaotic at the back but you could forgive that a little if we were more dynamic in attack creating great chances.

Would love to see us be a bit more controlling and winning

Adnan

Talent Spotter
We were poor for large periods IMO. The build up play was too slow and many of our players offered no movement it was terrible to watch. Glad we got the win which IMO is thanks to Cavani who never gives up and hence the sequence for the winning goal was kept alive by the Uruguayan.

Man of the Match

David de Gea image David de Gea 85% of 414 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

6.0 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 373 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Villarreal win
  • Draw