CL W Champions League Group F

Manchester United 2:1 Villarreal

Post-match discussion

Wed, 29 September 2021

Castia

Great to see Ronaldo score but it was crap again wasn’t it.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
Huge win, Ole subs changed the game and kept going but overall poor in particular 1st half

Seems fair to me
Yea fair enough. Could easily have been three down at half time.

Villareal won in MF tonight. We had no control until Matic came on.

Gopher Brown

The difference was clear tonight- they had a tactical plan, we had the better players.

Imagine how good we could be with a game plan, rather than just generally running about a bit, pressing now and then, and getting a couple of lucky goals.

First time I’ve properly felt like we’re on totally the wrong track with the management. And we won.

Gator Nate

I'll take that result. Villareal are mired in their league standings with 5 draws. They can't score. They couldn't tonight. But they had to put it all out there tonight and it wasn't enough to get the job done.

Dave was definitely our savior tonight, but what's to be expected with three subs on the back line?

The Bruno-to-Telles goal was a thing of beauty.

Lingard's assist to Ronaldo was perfect, as was the shot itself.

Ole's subs were spot on.

I'm nor going to dig into anyone or anything today. We won. Three points. Survive and advance.

korenmanutd

The difference was clear tonight- they had a tactical plan, we had the better players.

Imagine how good we could be with a game plan, rather than just generally running about a bit, pressing now and then, and getting a couple of lucky goals.

First time I’ve properly felt like we’re on totally the wrong track with the management. And we won.
First time? I guess LVG and Mou were more to your liking?

How many times have we drawn against Villarreal when SAF was here? Yeah, we played shit for the first 50mins but we managed to win at the end, and this is what United has been all about for the past 3 decades. Win, win and win again despite all else. Onwards and upwards from here, with a bit of luck and building up on wins like these we must keep on. Like it or not, The club is actually starting to go back on its path and you can’t deny that from Ole. I remember how LVG was touted as the one that rebuilds a team only for the new manager to get all the glory, but it’s actually Ole and the change in the club that started this rebuildt and it will take a bit more time to get, but we will get there in the end. Hope all of us just cherish the win and these moments, because they are magical and they are in our United blood.

Last edited:

RedIan

Individual brilliance from Ole with those subs.
Or did he get lucky again. Changes needed making at halftime but yes we got out of jail but we were bloody awful for most of that game.
we were shocking. But thank god we won.

VidicZvezda91

Supports
crvena zvezda
interesting game. Dalot was mad bad with defense ,Nice seeing Ronaldo doing his thing

Ananke

My lord, we needed that.

Luck, brilliance or whatever is was. It was needed. Very much so.

Redfrog

Thankfully I didn't watch first half (going by reactions it was a torture?). 2nd half we were better team I would say. Still our usual issues with play style remain but Ole the cat carries on with another life. Hugely important win nonetheless given the circumstances.
Not in terms of game play. That is just that Villarreal killed us on counters and could have been 5 goals ahead.

Robertd0803

GET IN THERE.

Thankfully we have Ronaldo but that really was a mess, we really were lucky tonight to even be in the game at half time. Its like last few seasons still where we wait until we concede to actually wake up and have a go. We looked much better when Cavani and Matic came on.

Stunning goal from Telles.

Oh and Viva Ronaldo.

UnofficialDevil

Anti Scottish and Preoccupied with Donkeys.
I'm not anti Scottish, I just wanted Moyes out.
Ole didnt have any idea or plan how to beat Villareal other that hope Pogba or Ronaldo might come up with something which happened. Villareal looked more dangerous and more compact than us,its just adds to a long list of games under Ole where we were very bad but won. Nothing new. Viva Ronaldo.

Shimo

Sounds like I was lucky not to have watched the first half. Power outage saved me.

2nd half, thought we looked okay, got caught too easily for their goal. What though enrages me even more is how we seem to only up the tempo when we are down. Till then we seem to be coasting thinking magic will just happen.

DDG to the rescue again - great to have him back in top form. It's saving us points but, should not be the case.

The subs did great but, again wonder why it happens so late. When Fred/Lingard were coming on, we looked like we were not prepared with the paperwork.

Ronaldo, what else can be said about the man. Only critique is when the ball that Matic played which he didn't have a chance on, he kinda threw a strop but, Cavani's went and got the ball. Had he continued, he could have been in a spot to make something happen.

Right back, like I said missed the first half, so missed the poor positioning / issues with Dalot. But, his crossing was horrendous. Why can't we have a right back that can cross. At this point I think maybe Lindelof should play there once Maguire is back. He can pick a pass and cross - he's played right back in his career and would probably do better than either.

Credit to Jesse. He has been impactful as a sub and even good in the start in the League cup but, think need to persist with Sancho at the very least on the left or Martial at least till Rashford is back. We've got enough players coming inside all the time.

stevoc

Positive: 3 huge points that mean we may get through group stages. Negatives: if we lost, there would be possibility of us sacking Ole and getting in new manager, this way Ole keeps his job even despite this awful performance and number of poor performances since season started.
So it's a positive that we won?

But also a negative that we didn't suffer a loss?

Yeah lets hope the latter negative is the case all season.

Jacko21

We’re in a bed spell and there’s lots for Ole to figure out, but you have to harness results like that.

On to Everton.

Adamsk7

I think Ronaldo is gonna keep upsetting a lot of you this season.

Flytan

Didn't deserve shit but glad we won. If Ole wants to keep his job something has to change. Do something at least somewhat drastic and change up the coaches.

BorisManUtd

So it's a positive that we won?

But also a negative that we didn't suffer a loss?

Yeah lets hope the latter negative is the case all season.
Positive that it's a big step towards going through group stages. Negative that Ole stays longer meaning we won't compete for anything significant. It's contradicting probably but everyone who watched the game saw how awful we were. No excuses for that.

stevoc

Positive that it's a big step towards going through group stages. Negative that Ole stays longer meaning we won't compete for anything significant. It's contradicting probably but everyone who watched the game saw how awful we were. No excuses for that.
That's it stay positive mate.

The Irish Connection

I hope we can figure out the best mix. Midfield is obviously the area that needs to be sorted. Fred and Matic could be our best bet but Matic struggles with high intensity.
back 4 was poor tonight but obviously we’re short there because of circumstances.

Jon@thon

Best part of the win is seeing how miserable the Ole out brigade are on here, you could hear the collective groans at getting a postive result. Must be hard work being so miserable all the time, well done Ole!

SplitzMagic

Honestly, Lingard is a midfield version of Ole reincarnated.

His impact from the bench is so good because he's literally a wiggly worm and makes life hard for defences because they don't think he's much of a threat.

Yes he fudged up vs the young'uns but over a full season he will be valuable.

Jesse Ji Sung Gard :drool:

Ronaldo amazing as per

croadyman

Hopefully will be a confidence boost but worry about us after a big champions league match because we often look quite leggy the following league game

Polar

Terrible match. Last 15m was descent.

Our midfield mostly pass back and forth: to safe and boring. They very very seldom create imbalance, example by dribble or advance past first defender.

Hope it’s the last time I see Pogba in double pivot. His defending is useless. It was chaos on Dalot’s side today.

The positive:
DDG is back on track and Ole’s substitutions couldn’t have been better: Cavani and Lingard made the difference

Foxbatt

Does anyone think we could play like this and survive against a decent side? Ole is not going to win us any trophies. yes it is a good three points because they were worse than us in scoring. Their keeper didn't have to make any saves while Degea made 5 very good saves. We got played out of the park. They had a plan while we didn't.

Jibbs

The way Cavani showed desire to win the ball back was everything.

Man of the Match

David de Gea image David de Gea 85% of 414 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

6.0 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 373 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Villarreal win
  • Draw