CL W Champions League Group F

Manchester United 2:1 Villarreal

Post-match discussion

Wed, 29 September 2021

GueRed

I predicted the win.

Didnt look like we would get it though.
We were poor, looked like a bunch of competition winners thrown together. For much of the first half we were getting opened up far too easily :nono:.

De Gea kept us in the game. The subs made a difference. And the home crowd played a big part too IMO.

Oh yeah and that man Ronaldo!! Produced when called upon. World class.

Siorac

2% think Alex telles was MoTM. How?
He scored the equaliser and those things tend to get stuck in people's minds.

Also, it was a generally very poor performance, no one really stood out apart from De Gea and some tend to vote for outfield players.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
He scored the equaliser and those things tend to get stuck in people's minds.

Also, it was a generally very poor performance, no one really stood out apart from De Gea and some tend to vote for outfield players.
Theyd still need to go get glasses. Apart from the goal both our fullbacks were awful. A goal doesn’t justify motm for me

largelyworried

Today was their first loss in a competitive game since May (and even then, they were resting players for the EL final).
Nicely phrased. Another way of looking at is, they'd won 1 of their previous 9 games. In reality, I think its fair to say that Villareal are a tough nut to crack, but they're not an elite team.

pauldyson1uk

I watched till the 80th minute had to go out after that, saw the score and said , how the fiuck did we rob that game.
I thought we were dreadful.
But I will take results like that all season, at least we were fighting till the end, but things need to improve.

Siorac

Nicely phrased. Another way of looking at is, they'd won 1 of their previous 9 games. In reality, I think its fair to say that Villareal are a tough nut to crack, but they're not an elite team.
They're a team I don't expect anyone to create a shedload of chances against.

But I wouldn't expect the goalkeeper to be the clear man of the match for a genuine CL contender at home to Villarreal.

OLLY ORANGE

Awful watch again and certainly got away with one.
Tactically out thought and slow to change by management in game time again.
Glad Ole called it out in the interview.
Lets see if he does something about it.
Not confident he can?

Hampshire Rec

Great result in the end but poor performance overall, it was only once Cavani and dare I say Jessie came on that we looked like a team going forward.
for me the way Cavani initially chased down the ball for the goal was something we lacked all game.

Sparky Rhiwabon

Awful watch again and certainly got away with one.
Tactically out thought and slow to change by management in game time again.
Glad Ole called it out in the interview.
Lets see if he does something about it.
Not confident he can?
This is a given every game - we just have to hope that man for man our players are better than the opponent

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
Talk about getting lucky - it's a bit like an awful drama where an accused man is about to be execute and his lawyer comes up with vital evidence of his innocence just in time...

We should have been at least three down at half time (and I'm pretty sure Ole admits as much in his post-match interview) even if the stats show it as a very close game. The fact is not only did DDG makes some vital saves but they also missed gilt-edged chances. Maybe understandably, our defence was all over the place in the first half and for parts o the second and their goal was obviously from a Dalot mistake bu it wasn't the only time Varane went AWOL (although he also made some excellent challenges).

On top of the poor performance, the winner was a little lucky and I thought the keeper should have saved it. Had anyone been watching the U19s, they would have known how the first team played. The speed of their counters was frighttening at times and maybe we actually did quite well not to concede more.

All that said, Ole's subs were pretty good in that by the end he actually had changed the formation a bit (which is rare for him). Ronaldo got much more freedom out wide and Cavani was bloody brilliant at nagging their defence, closing them down and is a much more natural No. 9 that Cristiano. We looked much more balanced with both of them on the park, something I've been calling for since Edi returned to fitness.

I also thought Lindelof looked at least as secure next to Varane as Maguire has so far. And then of course, DDG looks to be back on form after a two-season dip, although I totally agree with Robbie Savage (how sad!) that on the double save, the first one pushed the ball back into a very dangerous area (and that stops me giving him a 10/10).

I thought Scotty did well enough; he's never going to be a superstar but he might become a Nicky Butt who does a lot of clean-up, dirty work but never shine. But I was very disappointed by Paul Pogba, who, even in supposedly his favoured position, did very little of note. These are the sort of games "world-class" players have to dominate: he did not.

One last thing: at one stage I thought VAR was going to disallow the winner - I think Old Trafford would have erupted

Ixion

Terrible performance, outclassed and got out of jail but important result. De Gea saved our skin. Loved seeing Fergie celebrating.

UpWithRivers

I get the Ole in or out out argument now. Its like people are watching two completely different games! How anyone can say we played well is beyond me when you have a team like Villereal who are decent but not PSG or City just running through our whole team. Its comical football. At one point we had a corner and they broke and we had I think Dalot covering a 2 v 1 situation.

Its all feels like how a teenager would manage united. Just throw on a bunch of attackers FIFA style. Got to admit that Ole is a fkin master at moments football though. We will win games for sure. Probably even big games. But over a season to win trophies this is surely not how football works.

Crashoutcassius

Bad performance

We are in middle of a bad run, god know what will turn it around this time. We have enough about us to create chances to score even in these bad runs now, and if we clinical we might not drop many points. Ole quickly needs to get into one of those runs where we look good for 15 games. Nothing i saw today says we are close to that. Only positive is our 400k a week gk looks like that player again, and can win us the odd game.

Crashoutcassius

I get the Ole in or out out argument now. Its like people are watching two completely different games! How anyone can say we played well is beyond me when you have a team like Villereal who are decent but not PSG or City just running through our whole team. Its comical football. At one point we had a corner and they broke and we had I think Dalot covering a 2 v 1 situation.

Its all feels like how a teenager would manage united. Just throw on a bunch of attackers FIFA style. Got to admit that Ole is a fkin master at moments football though. We will win games for sure. Probably even big games. But over a season to win trophies this is surely not how football works.
I don't think anyone is really saying we played well. We made chances to win but gave up too many the other end. But we are clearly in a patch of classic ole poor form. Hopefully we can win most of these before the team turns it around as they have the last two seasons

CR1

Ole’s subs made the difference. We had a lot more bite about us when Cavani was on. Ole also deserves credit for finding a place for Lingard in the squad; he is quite useful as an impact sub as long as he stays clear of dangerous back-passes in the back third. But he’s since made amends for that twice now.

Ole and his staff now find themselves in a good position to qualify in the CL and stay within touching distance of the top of the Prem. Also have a go in the FA Cup. However, preparations should be made to bring in a dominant CDM/DLP and possibly also another back-up RB asap. Do that and the team/squad will be near completion and able to callenge more convincingy. It’s a great result last night but solely relying on individual brilliance and moments like that isn’t sustainable in the long run. Right now it’s not good enough. Ole nearly lost this game and if he wants to stay in the job longer term he needs to get the midfield right.

Cavani HAS to start every CL game and IMO Vdb should be given a run as well:

Ronaldo Cavani
Fernandes
(Pogba/Mctominay) Vdb (Fred/Matic)
Shaw Maguire Varane Awb
Ddg

Subs:
Rashford
Greenwood
Sancho
Lingard

Note that this is for the CL. In the PL Rashford has to start most games when fully fit. He can be rotated up front together with Ronaldo and Cavani (neither of which can play every game anyway) and Greenwood:

(Ronaldo or Cavani) (Rashford or Greenwood)
Fernandes
(Mctominay or Pogba) Vdb (Fred or Matic)
Shaw Maguire Varane Awb
Ddg

A third option is to play with three up front of course. Basically; in that scenario these are our options:

LF: Rashford or Ronaldo or Elanga
CF: Ronaldo or Cavani or Greenwood
RF: Greenwood or Sancho

miked99

I've literally just finished watching the game. Against a very well drilled team we were certain passes away from scoring at least 4. We had quite a few moments where we were in control and their moments came from counter attacks, not sure how you think we had no control for the entire game honestly. New formation that showed promise, make shift back 4 cause 3 of them don't start when were fully fit. We literally had more opportunities than them, but if you look at the "stats" obviously shots on target matter more to some people even though that's why we have a world class keeper. Look deeper than a team having a shot on target and look at the times we were close to a completed pass that WOULD have ended in a goal. There's more to that game that you are seeing
I thought we played well in attack, up to the final ball. There were plenty of good interchanges and bright ideas that didn't quite come off. I think people forget that we have new attacking players and it doesn't usually just click into place instantly. We miss Rashford more than people realise as well. The one player that can consistently break lines and pull defenders out of position due to his pace.

UnitedFire

Theyd still need to go get glasses. Apart from the goal both our fullbacks were awful. A goal doesn’t justify motm for me
I gave it to De Gea as highest match rating. No one else even close.

However, Telles goal was arguably the only world class moment in the match and vital in a game where we were creating f-all.

For me, one moment versus a goalkeeper with several important saves doesn't get you MOTM, but its not unreasonable to think De Geas saves were important and consistent, but not on the world class level, I.e. not too dramatic top/ bottom corner type saves. Telles goal was truly world class technique and a complete match changer in terms of momentum.

CanadianUtd

Supports
Vancouver, Boston
De Gea was the game saver,

Ronaldo was the game winner,

however Cavani was the game changer.

…let’s not forget Edison’s effect on the game. I hope it’s remembered. He really upped the tempo and brought a sense of urgency. His and relentless effort to winning the ball back was godly.

Litch

Watched again, terrible game but I'm in no doubt this is a system issue than anything else.

Ayoba

Poster of Noncense.
That was horrendous! Dalot was so bad he was constantly getting skinned by the Villareal winger and he offered nothing in attack either!

The midfield set up was just so strange, one sitting with Mctom and Pogba was so high up. This led to huge gaps between our midfield and defense that all we they could do were Hollywood long passes, and gues what Villareal mopped those up easily.

We simply need more bodies in midfield and for me, one of those has to be Matic. I know his legs are gone but his passing, his touch and his intelligence is still there, Ole has to find a way to make it work. And the other player that has to start is Cavani! Talk about pressing from the front, he was unbelievable and made such a difference to the team.

AngeloHenriquez

Supports
Stevenage
Why did we ever do away with the player ratings thread? I used to love some of the descriptions people gave and found it interesting how people rated the players, I thought other than Dalot being awful, Ronnie & Greenwood weren't great but the rest did well, including Lindelof who seems to get overlooked constantly despite putting in a shift.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Well worth it?

Don't understand people like that. I stay for a while after. Especially if got my mates tickets by the tunnel... stay and watch post match interviews.

Wheel, the, Ole, at
I get the rush and that if you don't at least get in position to leave at the final whistle you add tonnes of time on, but not if you're local, and not if you miss loads of action.

Well worth it. Even if the bastad hotels fire alarm went off at 4am. Was never getting back to sleep well after that.

Siezard

That was horrendous! Dalot was so bad he was constantly getting skinned by the Villareal winger and he offered nothing in attack either!

The midfield set up was just so strange, one sitting with Mctom and Pogba was so high up. This led to huge gaps between our midfield and defense that all we they could do were Hollywood long passes, and gues what Villareal mopped those up easily.

We simply need more bodies in midfield and for me, one of those has to be Matic. I know his legs are gone but his passing, his touch and his intelligence is still there, Ole has to find a way to make it work. And the other player that has to start is Cavani! Talk about pressing from the front, he was unbelievable and made such a difference to the team.
Because McTom and Pogba want to score a goal and exact their revenge. Both of them have no positional discipline last night.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach

It was a poor display. At least with both full backs being back ups we had that excuse, but you're bang on with the midfield part.

Most teams pad their mid, not go for one man stuff.
We could so easily have lost that one. Even in the last 8mins at 1-1.

Crashoutcassius

We seem to lack the conviction and confidence to control games from the first whistle.

The only times that hasn't happened were against Leeds (boost to the confidence after the great summer window), Newcastle (boost to the confidence after signing Ronaldo) and whenever we've gone a goal down (back to wall moments when we've got nothing to lose).

United need to start matches with the mentality that we're going to set the tempo because we're better than the opposition. The players seem afraid to do that until they have an excuse not to.

There are two ways to achieve that mentality change. Either the manager finesses it out of them, or the players develop it themselves by going on a winning streak. I think with a bit more time gelling with Sancho and Ronaldo, the team is eventually going to achieve the latter. But Ole needs to try and achieve the former before marginal games like today's ruin the season beyond repair.
Spot on. We can survive a bad run like this if we get some luck and have the level of determination we have shown the last year. But it has to end sooner not later of we want to still be in competitions

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff

However, Telles goal was arguably the only world class moment in the match and vital in a game where we were creating f-all.

For me, one moment versus a goalkeeper with several important saves doesn't get you MOTM, but its not unreasonable to think De Geas saves were important and consistent, but not on the world class level, I.e. not too dramatic top/ bottom corner type saves. Telles goal was truly world class technique and a complete match changer in terms of momentum.
Those saves weren’t standard and if it weren’t for him we would have been well beaten

justsomebloke

I think that this was quite obvious yesterday. He played like a midfielder and not like some sort of shadow striker. Before him coming on, all of our attack-minder players wäre crowding the box. More often than not Pogba was in the CF position.

As per Pogba: we no longer need the one player who can do it all from MF. With these attacking options we can afford to have super-conservative but positionally aware midfielders who actually play in the middle of the pitch.
There's definitely something there, it's been on display for a few games now. We're too direct, too impatient. The passes behind the opposition line don't find their targets and come too quickly and too frequently, and there's a lack of poise and coherence when we have the ball around the opposition box. It has defensive repercussions too - again and again in the first half yesterday, when a rebound came out or a player lost the ball around the box, we were wide open to counterattack because there was no one there to pick up the Villarreal midfielders in control of the ball right outside their own box. They could get it easily and quickly out to Danjuma on the left with just one or two passes, and with Dalot getting beat almost every single time that gave them a highway to a series of high-quality chances. If Danjuma was half as good at passing as he was at getting free, or they had a decent finisher in the middle, we'd have lost the game by the break.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"

That tip over was at full speed, great save. The double save late on.. see the replay were he's on the floor and flicks his left hand out.. great save.

Never mind the collective other saves which add up to a great performance. I've given him grief for not dominating box and poor distribution but last night he saved us from a 3 or 4 goal defeat.

Flexdegea

I'm firmly Ole in and I thought we were absolutely terrible. At same time lot of our issues defensively was Dalot. Hard to deny, every attack and chance they had he got burnt or wasn't there.

It's not a big collective group of folk who just all think the same way. The FIFA bit is laughable.

Just enjoy the win, how could you not

mk7

There's definitely something there, it's been on display for a few games now. We're too direct, too impatient. The passes behind the opposition line don't find their targets and come too quickly and too frequently, and there's a lack of poise and coherence when we have the ball around the opposition box. It has defensive repercussions too - again and again in the first half yesterday, when a rebound came out or a player lost the ball around the box, we were wide open to counterattack because there was no one there to pick up the Villarreal midfielders in control of the ball right outside their own box. They could get it easily and quickly out to Danjuma on the left with just one or two passes, and with Dalot getting beat almost every single time that gave them a highway to a series of high-quality chances. If Danjuma was half as good at passing as he was at getting free, or they had a decent finisher in the middle, we'd have lost the game by the break.
Moments after Matic came on I said to my mate "He is going to make a difference" and almost immediately he gestured his team mates to be more patient and not always go for the rushed attacking option. His passing is actually superb, no Hollywood passes but simply passes you need to make as a CM to make a team tick. And that's exactly what is missing, a clockwork in midfield not McT (fighter), not Fred (colibri), but a calming, reassuring presence in midfield.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
He also did that block in the last few minutes when they looked certain to score after the DDG double save. You can see why he caught the eye. And they didn’t create much (anything?) attacking down our left. It was certainly an infinitely better fullback performance than the poor sap on the opposite flank.

DRJosh

Supports
United minus the Glazers
Pretty sure we’re not getting out of the group stages despite the win. Pathetic performance. Less said about Ole the better.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Anyway. My opinion on the game. We were shit. Villareal didn’t deserve to lose. Sometimes after dropped points I calm down overnight and realise there were positives in our performance and we were maybe unlucky not to win. Today the exact opposite happened. The euphoria has worn off and I’m depressed about yet another piss poor Champions League performance. The way we set up and performed in that first half was just not good enough and we’re going to get found out again this season. It’s inevitable.

Spaghetti

Mom's
so glad we won, but how has VAR not reviewed that? Lingard clearly off and in the way of the keeper? feck em
I don’t think he was in the way. Also, if they give offside then they have to give a penalty as Lingard was fouled into an offside position.

Rolledo

We were shit. Villareal didn’t deserve to lose. Sometimes after dropped points I calm down overnight and realise there were positives in our performance and we were maybe unlucky not to win. Today the exact opposite happened.
Agreed. But we did come into a must win CL-game in poor form, with 3 starting defenders out, which is hardly ideal. My pragmatic/hopeful self might conclude that a shitty win like this, could possibly mean just as much for the group as a free flowing, slick 3-0 win, given the circumstances. Who knows. Still would have preferred the 3-0, mind.

Man of the Match

David de Gea image David de Gea 85% of 414 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

6.0 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 373 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Villarreal win
  • Draw