CL W Champions League Group F

Villarreal 0:2 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Tue, 23 November 2021

OmarUnited4ever

Better since Bruno and Rashford came on..

An ok performance overall.. but not enough Villarreal were terrible.. they need to play much butter than that

united for life

Average game overall. We were much better in the second half. We still need to be more authoritative in midfield. Good we walked away with 3 points. Good game Sancho. Bruno was great since coming in. ronaldo, well, it’s the CL; you expect a goal.

Torbalan

Good ebening!

Carrick deserve a fair chance. He might be onto something with this 4-3-3. It started to click very well in the second half.

Bruno is irreplaceable.

Zen86

As good a 20 minutes as I can remember this season. The gameplan worked nicely even if we were lucky not to go behind. We were a completely new team when Rashford and Bruno came on. You could see the differences tactically as well, I wouldn’t chalk it down to the new manager bounce.

suheilsworld

They first half was very Ole-esque.

Good performance after the subs.

I guess it’s down to the confidence. Hope we are on the up and up. If YB win or draw, we go through as group winners. Something to look forward to for the season

Dudu

Poor start. Ended the first half okay. Shored up the defence. Soaked up the pressure. Couple of excellent Dave Saves.

Subs then brought the energy and pace.

Those last 20 minutes or so were very good.

Mr Champions League again (apparently the problem Ad nauseam!). Sancho at last!! Get in lad :drool:

Pretty much spot on away to Spain. Through to the R16.

Judge Red

Don't Call Me Douglas
Happy to get the clean sheet most of all. Everything else a bonus. It doesn’t make any sense that the team suddenly looks organised but it did tonight.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
Yes, we're through and I finally enjoyed watching us play again.

Let's get Poch and get this season back on track.

OverratedOpinion

I had forgotten that you are actually allowed to prevent the opposition from scoring.

Sancho did well, Bruno was very good when he came on and I think Lindelof was quietly very good.

Oh and of course Mr Champions League.

ExoduS

We could have lost this 2-0 easily, but De Gea saved us. Then their keeper underestimated Fred's laziness. Obviously Fred is not that Lazy... he is just slow time to time, but that time he was not slow... Joke on you keepa!!!

I mean we won, awesome... Seems we can play when there is no pressure but pressure will come soon enough. Midfield is a joke and will remain a joke until we get proper coaching staff. Coaching staff that would not get Cardiff relegated.

United Hobbit

Glad we aren't going into the final game needing a result

It wasn't pretty but got the job done.

I think Carrick did well, not saying he should get the caretaker position but it was nice to see a manager making amendments throughout the game and making pro active substitutions

Hopefully some confidence returns.

MUFromLTU

Finally a game where no one had brainfart leading to conceded goal or red card.

Fred made both goals, McT needs to grow a pair and stop hiding each time we're playing out of back, otherwise he needs to be dropped.

Woodenlung

That was a bad first half. Defensively I thought we were quite poor. We tried pressing in that first half, but it was uncoordinated and we left so much soace for Villarreal to play into. We had to be bailed out by some De Gea heroics a few times as well.

Our attacking was non-existant for most of the game. We encountered the same problems we've always had in tbat there's no progressive passing from midfield which leaves our forwards isolated.

But on the positive side, we didnt fall to pieces when the pressure was on like in previous weeks. Sancho looked a threat throughout the game and VDB, although quet at times, still got aome good minutes in.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
Very happy!
Lovely goals and we did not concede!

NotQuiteManc

Haven't seen such a disciplined performance in a long while. Enjoyable last 20 minutes or so.

Lentwood

Nothing at all wrong with playing it safe for an hour in Europe and then having a go. The one or two half chances they had came from individual errors from Telles and McT, but apart from that we always looked in control.

I would almost call that a classic European away performance

siw2007

Carrick's at the wheel, tell me how good does it feel....

In all serious, that was a fab result and a very good last half hour. Felt Villareal edged the first half but our subs turned the game in our favour. Sancho's best game in a red shirt so far, should nail down that right wing spot now after that display, hat off to Fred too who played a good destructive game in the middle of the park.

Just need to seal top spot with a good result against Young Boys so we can go through top!

Waynne

Fred was immense. Ronaldo's experience and instinct is invaluable in games like this.

Sancho looked like Dortmund Sancho. Happy for him for his goal.

Good performance. AWB still annoys me as does McTominay.

Knux

Supports
AIK Stockholm
Been waiting a long time to say this but finally Sancho gets my MOTM. So happy for him, he really needed that goal.

Other mentions:
Fred. Involved in both goals. His workrate is excatly what we’ll need more of right now.

Telles had a good game. Should keep Shaw on the bench against Chelsea.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
I missed the game. Didn't know we were playing today. :(

Rex Banner

Great result. De Gea made some really good saves to keep us in it but thought that was a solid performance, the best we've played all round in a long time.

Delighted for Sancho as well, what a finish!

largelyworried

Job done. No point worrying too much about the overall performance (It wasn't great) but we ground out a result, and for the next few weeks, that's going to be the requirement. Keep a few clean sheets, get a few wins, even if they're narrow, and confidence will slowly build. When you're rock bottom you just have to take it one step at a time.

Credit to Carrick too. Mixed up the team, managed the subs, timed his changes well. His future is away from the club but if he uses his time as caretaker to enhance his prospects elsewhere, good luck to him.

BestRed

Big result, clean sheet, Jadon off the mark and Ronnie doing what Ronnie does, well done Carrick!

cyberman

I think Sancho defines our season. Plays well from here the we could have a very good run

DevTheRed

Very good performance 60 minutes onwards, whether or not that's because of the subs that came on or Carrick gave them a bit more freedom but it was very pleasing to watch from that point.

Before that point we didn't create much nor did we keep the ball that well. Great result, Fred and Sancho brilliant.. Jadon looks a helluva player :devil:

Devil may care

Dogshit performance rescued by De Gea in the first half and a huge feck up by Villareal in the 2nd, crucial win but christ it's hard on the eyes and soul to watch.

MonkeysMagic

Two excellent goals, and some defensive organisation. Shows how games can be won when team is not on song.

De Gea made 3 excellent saves to keep us in it but other than that we were relatively secure at back.

Player Ratings

6.4 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 307 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Villarreal win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 20% Villarreal 1:1 Man Utd
  • 16% Villarreal 1:2 Man Utd