CL W Champions League Group F

Villarreal 0:2 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Tue, 23 November 2021

Red Star One

None of DDG’s saves were that crazy were they? A number of low saves but nothing I can remember which I wouldn’t expect Lee Grant to make.
They were all quite good and surely you wouldn’t expect Lee to show such confidence and consistency. First half right hand save was surely above an average level one, it was a tough ball.

Oranges038

Shite first half, but good game management in the second to swing it round. Overall a dour match but for the last few minutes.

DDG made a couple of good saves.
Maguire is shite, Lindelof is better than him
AWB is shite
McT is shite.
Telles isn't up to much
Fred wasn't so shite
Donny was poor
Sancho was the best of the lot.
Ronaldo scored
Martial, I Really hope we never have to witness him in a Utd shirt ever again

Corners are so shite.

Subs changed it up the extra bit of pace when they tired and unloaded poorer players from the bench. Bruno and Rashford looked brighter.

A good win, that at least gets the CL out of the way until next year. Can focus on avoiding relegation now.

MIC_FIN

Supports
United Away Games
Did you see that score G?
Do not chat to me
A goal from Ronnie
Another from Sanchy
Arsenal still losing
All you man are booing
Us man are winning
Cause we the Carra boys
Pussy, we the Carra boys
Dickhead, we the Caaaaarrrraaa boooooys
Jesus. How are you allowed up at this time?

DickDastardly

Good.

442 in defense. Compact.
Attack was useless until Bruno and Rashford came on.
Fred good in the second half.
De Gea is cheat code.

Glad for Sancho.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
A good, professional (albeit nervy) European away performance. Not had too many of those in the CL in recent years. Delighted!

Second half planned out how I hoped. Villarreal really needed to win one of their final two games. A draw was a much better result for us and one that very likely would have seen us finish above them. They looked a bit disheartened at an inability to score as the half wore on and you could see our lads grow in confidence from being defensively solid. De Gea made one top save, but didn’t have too much to do.

Our attack will mostly take care of itself if we give ourself the foundation to build. Clean sheets are golden.

Irwin99

Much better second half and we looked fitter than they did in the closing stages. As i said in the Ronaldo thread, he's virtually dragged us to the knockout stages and we'd almost certainly be in the Europa league again if not for his goals. Viva Ronaldo :drool:

Rustyspider13

We're through! What a fantastic result after a topsy-turvy few days. We had a gameplan and it showed. In the first half, keep it tight at the back, press high with Fred and hope linkups between WFs and FBs do something. An hour in, after Villarreal were tired, bring on our two best counter-attackers and get the point needed.

Extremely well taken goal from Ronaldo, the awareness to not even take a touch is amazing and Sancho's finish was emphatic as well. Lovely to see him rifle it into the top corner. A huge goal for him to cap off a great performance. I'd give him MOTM if not for DDG. He kept us in the game with that save. Had that gone in, there was a real chance of the players' heads going down. Him and Lindelof deserve praise for the clean sheet. I slated McT for the first half, but as Villarreal tired he grew into the game. Fred played a massive part in both goals too.

I didn't expect any points against Chelsea, but maybe we can get something with the level of organization we saw tonight. Anything can happen if these players play with confidence as they showed in the last 20 mins.

fallengt

we played much better after the subs and it was early enough to change the course of the game. VR was pushing for goal and they definitely could've gotten it if we hadn't made some changes.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
Are we through? Let’s win the group so we don’t get Bayern.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
Professional performance

NZT-One

I don't get the rating pattern ffs. How is it possible, that the average rating is 6.5 after a borefest like that?! That should be the epitome of a 5.1 or 5.2 and not a smidge better.

TheLittleOne

I was only able to watch last 30mins so my review is maybe a tad too positive.

- Sancho will become a great player for us. Very good footballer, consistancy comes usualy with age.
- Ronaldo Im just happy to see him in an United shirt. I dont like how easy he goes down.
- Early substitutions! If you chasing a result make changes in the 60-65 minute dont expect players to change the game in 3minutes. little dissapointed Donny went off but it was the right call.
- I loved that little scene between Carrick, Van de Beek and Sancho after the game. Donny was so happy for Jadon and then Carrick joined and kinda apologized to Donny and he then nods like "all good". Maybe I read too much into it but I think DVB will stay here.
- We don't really seem to have a plan when it comes to pressing as if its just up to the players. Every player with a different opinion as to when to do it and too much pointing. Obviously you can't expect huge changes in a few days.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Did you see that score G?
Do not chat to me
A goal from Ronnie
Another from Sanchy
Arsenal still losing
All you man are booing
Us man are winning
Cause we the Carra boys
Pussy, we the Carra boys
Dickhead, we the Caaaaarrrraaa boooooys
:lol:

Giggsy13

Brave and gutsy performance after a hellish month. De Gea with two big saves but generally very compact and organized. Well done!

Luke1995

This performance does not fill me with confidence for the Chelsea and Arsenal matches...

But well, we are through, so who cares ? We are through!!!

footyLegend

Great win! Pleased for Sancho, was our biggest threat all game. David de Gea with some brilliant saves (hoping this stops being the norm), and Bruno really took care of the ball when he came on. Shout out to Lindelof as well, he was a rock at the back, MoM for me.

Chelsea will be a much tougher prospect, let's see how Carrick and the team handle that.

Infra-red

Positives:
  • Qualified for the last 16
  • Clean sheet
  • Confidence looked like it was rock bottom in the first 30 minutes, but seemed to steadily grow as the game went on
  • Sancho

Cpt Negative

This is a team that needs to go 1 up before playing well. Sadly, we’ve spent half of the season going 1 down and getting picked off.

lots of cracks still on show tonight but a clean sheet away in Europe is never something to take for granted.

we’ve won countless games like that over the years.

Withnail

Pretty poor for the most part but it's the same coaching team and Ole's only gone a couple of days. We were absolutely useless against their press first half but seemed to get more confident as the game went on.

The second half and last 25 mins were much better and did well to get two goals. Great to see Sancho scoring a cracker.

Glad we're through early and don't need to worry about getting a result in the final game.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
First half - 60 minutes were awful. Excellent after the subs though. Rashford and Bruno made a huge difference. Nice of us to use an actual 433 today and not use Bruno as a 2nd striker. Sancho on the right made such a big difference. feck obsessing over inverted wingers, stretch the pitch and use Sancho how he's meant to be used.

Siorac

Smash and grab.

Lovely goals and clean sheet (thanks DDG) so I'm quite happy. But the team obviously needs a lot of work. Not that we didn't know that before the game, of course.

Rajma

I’m just glad we’re through gives a new manager a chance (although slim one) to go all the way. Something to look forward too.

90 + 5min

Everybody knows importance of the win. Subs changed everything. Ronaldo was real leader out there. Togather with DeGea they were our best player. Happy that Sancho finally scored. Need to produce lot more.

Ayoba

Poster of Noncense.
An almost Fergie like european away night performance from circa 2006-2010

BorisManUtd

Through to last 16 for the first time in 3 years and 4th time since Fergie (2013/14, 2017/18, 2018/19). Shows how irrelevant we've been in CL for years, so just getting to knockout stages makes me excited.

Walters_19_MuFc

That was a typical European performance, in my opinion. Yes, we conceded a few chances and De Gea pulled off some very good saves, but that was to be expected against a good Villareal side.

With our attacking talent, we will always create chances and thats what we did.

El B

Typical performance similar to those under Ole prior to this season TBH.
Yeah, nothing to write home about. Played like crap, grabbed a lucky goal and scored a 2nd on the break when most of the Villareal team were attacking. It was a pretty standard performance from the last 2/3 years.

Player Ratings

6.4 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 307 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Villarreal win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 20% Villarreal 1:1 Man Utd
  • 16% Villarreal 1:2 Man Utd