CL W Champions League Group F

Villarreal 0:2 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Tue, 23 November 2021

Tomuś

Nani is crap, I tell you!
Typical Fergie performance away from home in UCL group stages. 60 minutes of killing opponents with boredom only to up the tempo late and try to get a winner.

I liked that.

Blood Mage

It's just the standard bounce a team gets when an underperforming manager is sacked. There wasn't a great deal of difference in the way we approached the game, it's the type of result we got many times under Ole last season.

redmanx

I've seen enough.

Give him the job.
Deja Vu; we were all shouting "give Ole the job" after his first game in charge. Carrick did well but maybe he should see out the season under an experienced interim manager; Blanc has been touted for this and so has Bruce, but Id like Roy Keane to come in. Then Carrick can be reassessed for next season.

mu4c_20le

First half - 60 minutes were awful. Excellent after the subs though. Rashford and Bruno made a huge difference. Nice of us to use an actual 433 today and not use Bruno as a 2nd striker. Sancho on the right made such a big difference. feck obsessing over inverted wingers, stretch the pitch and use Sancho how he's meant to be used.
He cuts inside all the time at Dortmund. He's definitely not a traditional RW

Cutch

Northern Ireland. Stretty W3102, Row 2, Seat 129
Perfect away champions league performance. The sort we even seen under Fergie regularly. Dont get the complainin in the first half. Exactly how I'd expect us to try and play given the circumstances against a team with as good a home record as Villareal. Found our way into game the longer it went on, brought on the subs and got more expansive. Very good win

CM

Ironically that performance was very remiscent of the way we played early in Ole's tenure. Good that we're through

tomaldinho1

They were all quite good and surely you wouldn’t expect Lee to show such confidence and consistency. First half right hand save was surely above an average level one, it was a tough ball.
I'm just trying to remember them, none were that close and you'd have disappointed if he conceded, good saves for sure but I think most professional keepers get them no?

hurricane thunderclap

Given this season it was overall better. We know who is not good enough , nothing will ever change that.
The last ten minutes with pace and movement though that should never have gone AWOL whoever's was at the wheel.
Ronaldo is the goat.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
I don't blame the coaching staff for setting up to defend because we're playing a team who we've never beaten away from home in a country we've historically struggled in.

It was a good performance against a tough Spanish team away from home and a job well done.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
He cuts inside all the time at Dortmund. He's definitely not a traditional RW
Sure. But he starts wide and drifts inwards. And he was used a lot more in the build up there, like we did today too (in the 2nd). Ole tried to make him an inside forward which just isn't his game. He's a playmaker, one of the best.

youngrell

Very pragmatic and effective approach from Carrick. Switched players around successfully when things weren’t quite working and got a very good away result in a CL game.

Not sure if Bruno was under strict instruction to play more disciplined or he was pouting a little, but he was far more measured than what we are used to seeing, but still effective, which was great.

NZT-One

Aren't we rating the performances of the players? The result shouldn't change how we see the performances, isn't it? But again, maybe I have a different understanding of that system. Seems like the majority rates the performances "in the light of current events". Which is fine, just didn't know that (plus don't see the point because it makes the metric irrelevant as it is impossible to compare.

Charlie Foley

It could be a number of things. Maybe Solskjaer wasn’t listening to Carrick’s suggestions. Maybe Carrick is listening to someone Solskjaer didn’t. Maybe Carrick felt less pressure and therefore more comfortable to take the decision to drop Bruno. Maybe the team needed a wake up call that the sacking provided.

I don’t know if it’s any of those things, but they’re all possible and none of them are as “how could this possibly happen” as the tweet suggests (not aimed at you, I just think he worded himself very…dramatically)

Redlyn

I don't get the rating pattern ffs. How is it possible, that the average rating is 6.5 after a borefest like that?! That should be the epitome of a 5.1 or 5.2 and not a smidge better.
And if it would have been a second half as dull at the first and ended on 0-0? We turned it up a notch in the last 20 and actually deserved to win.

Todd

Don't care if it was ugly, a win and a clean sheet away in the CL is huge for us right now.

Glad for Sancho

Roosney

They. Are. Scared.

Happy that Sancho scored, let's hope we see a lot more of that.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
It could be a number of things. Maybe Solskjaer wasn’t listening to Carrick’s suggestions. Maybe Carrick is listening to someone Solskjaer didn’t. Maybe Carrick felt less pressure and therefore more comfortable to take the decision to drop Bruno. Maybe the team needed a wake up call that the sacking provided.

I don’t know if it’s any of those things, but they’re all possible and none of them are as “how could this possibly happen” as the tweet suggests (not aimed at you, I just think he worded himself very…dramatically)
I don't believe we should ever blame the back room staff for the failings of the manager/head coach. He was the one who selected them and it was the same coaching team that helped him get the job permanently.

gajender

I'm just trying to remember them, none were that close and you'd have disappointed if he conceded, good saves for sure but I think most professional keepers get them no?
They were saves which any half decent keeper should be making and Villareal didn't trouble United much either.
It was quite professional performance from a team low on confidence and on balance of play United did deserve to win .

Chip

No Europa league this season. :drool:
Big, big relief. I'd much rather we get knocked out in the round of 16 and focus 100 % on the league than we clown around in the EL. And who knows, we might do a Chelsea.

Redlyn

I think he doesn't know what the word Literally actually means. How can it be literally the same setup when the head coach, you know the one who makes all the final decisions, is gone.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
Aren't we rating the performances of the players? The result shouldn't change how we see the performances, isn't it? But again, maybe I have a different understanding of that system. Seems like the majority rates the performances "in the light of current events". Which is fine, just didn't know that (plus don't see the point because it makes the metric irrelevant as it is impossible to compare.
Winning a match will result in higher ratings. Yes you can see poor ratings for a win but on average six will be common when we win a game.

VivaRonaldo85

All very simple. More solid structure, more defensive, better attacking players on for last 25 when others are tiring, and playing players in their most natural positions. Low and behold, hey presto. Great win, looking forward to the last 16 now.

GazTheLegend

He seems to have forgotten that Carrick dropped Bruno for VDB which was insanely ballsy, really!

Bruno as a super sub is unironically terrifying though, maybe he was a bit jaded, he's played an awful lot of football.

Pjisared

Carrick showed that making the right changes at the right time can change matches, something that Ole didnt seem to grasp. We also saw a different Bruno than in previous games.
One thing that did suprise me and did anyone else notice, after a delightful touch to set up Sanchos goal, he didnt seem to celebrate with anyone. Just stood there motionless whilst all other team members mobbed Jadon.

NZT-One

And if it would have been a second half as dull at the first and ended on 0-0? We turned it up a notch in the last 20 and actually deserved to win.
Well I understand how you see it like that. I thought, Bruno was bringing a bit more urgency but in the end we scored a lucky goal and then benefited off Villareal being needed to open up. I thought DDG had slightly above average evening, got a 6, Sancho had a good game overall, but the invisible 1st half makes it not more than a 6 for him as well. Think I gave Lindelof and Bruno a 6 as well but who else had more light than shadow today?

Winning a match will result in higher ratings. Yes you can see poor ratings for a win but on average six will be common when we win a game.
Yeah I see it and I am puzzled thats why I posted in the first place. No need to agree with me but you get my point, don't you? ^^

RedDribble

Supports
Dortmund, Barcelona
Good result but the problems still remain. Got better when Bruno came in but still the players have no idea to progress the ball forward.

With this level never going to defeat Chelsea, even Arsenal is not going to be easy.

For some reason Villareal were really really poor. Where did the intensity from Old Trafford go? they were actually good except finishing at that game.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
I think he doesn't know what the word Literally actually means. How can it be literally the same setup when the head coach, you know the one who makes all the final decisions, is gone.
This is correct.

Cloud7

Didn’t get to watch the match but I’m very very glad that we got the win. CL gives the incoming manager something to play for. Great to see Sancho score and of course Mr Champions League delivers for us once again.

Absolute joke that people think he’s a problem rather than the only reason our season still has some stuff to cling to.

Player Ratings

6.4 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 307 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Villarreal win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 20% Villarreal 1:1 Man Utd
  • 16% Villarreal 1:2 Man Utd