CL W Champions League Group F

Villarreal 0:2 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Tue, 23 November 2021

captain666

An understandable nervy start from us given our nightmare month and the importance of this game.At least we had a game plan,made timely and decisive subs which turned the match for us.
Classic SAF tactics,well done Carrick.

Reapersoul20

Can Anderson score? No.
Gutted for some reason I thought it was a late kick off. Turned it on as they were walking off the pitch. Was it a decent game?
The last 20mins we dominated, the 70 prior to that we were complete shite. Around that time, DvB came off for Fernandes who transformed the game with his passing. Fred was class. Second goal, scored by Sancho, was probably one of the best team goals we have scored this season.

FriedClams

This game highlighted the importance of a deep squad and talent on the bench. They brought on chukwueze and alberto moreno, we brought on fernandes and rashford and the game completely swung in our favour after these changes.

Bruno played it simpler, and was a better player for it. If he learns to pick his time to go for the spectacular as opposed to trying it every time, then he's instantly one of the best midfielders in the world. That cross field pass he tried v watford that led to their penalty, he would never have tried that tonight because he came on with a different mentality, which has to have come from Carrick. Seemed to be way more in control.

United in sin

That was like watching the English NT. Boring but effective. Glad for Carrick and Sancho!

justsomebloke

Wasn't there a strong vibe here of.....Mourinho? 70 minutes of risk-averse carefulness, and then capitalising on an opposing team mistake at 80 minutes?

Obviously, I'll take that after the recent horrors. But I hope it's not going to become the template. It does seem to make sense to focus first on regaining some sort of defensive stability here.

Terrific result though - practically sees us through to the second round. Or even mathematically? Not done my homework here.

R'hllor

Good result that leads to dodging Ronaldo`s nightmare, thats about it. Performance wasnt the best, specially in 1st half.

GBBQ

By any means necessary was the order of the day. A bit ropey at points but no point being overly critical. Will get some much needed confidence back ahead of the Chelsea game.

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
I would have taken 0-0 so delighted with the result. Carrick was obviously concerned with keeping it tight and compact and I completely understand that, can see the same at the weekend. Delighted for Sancho. Also, was Fred playing as a false left winger in the first half? :lol: it was 4-4-2 for large parts.

justsomebloke

I would have taken 0-0 so delighted with the result. Carrick was obviously concerned with keeping it tight and compact and I completely understand that, can see the same at the weekend. Delighted for Sancho. Also, was Fred playing as a false left winger in the first half? :lol: it was 4-4-2 for large parts.
diamond, I think?

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
10 minutes until we win the group if things stay the same.

SAFMUTD

That was definitely the best but we’d be saying it was error of that went in. I’m not criticising DDG for what it’s worth, another poster said he was in god mode and bailed us out which I don’t think is accurate.
Seriously an error? It's an impressive save IMO.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
We're going to win the group, YB beating Atalanta :lol:

MetoTTT

The Glazers family will be impressed with this result so everything is ok.

arthurka

Plan and execution. Clean sheet is also a plus. Good win but an absolutely dire first half. Great subs and this defence with Harry looked solid. Hoped Carrick would give himself a bit if credit for this but no apparently it's all Ole.

Fts 74

Classic European away performance I thought.

Kept it tight and 2 good goals at the end with a clean sheet, delighted for Sancho and Dave was top drawer.

Just what we needed well done Carrick.

always_hoping

Young Boys 3 Atalanta 3 result means Man United have now topped the group with a game to spare. Can play the kids in Round 6.

Laurencio

We were fine. Nothing more. What worries me is that player's legs look heavy. Sancho isn't anywhere near as quick and agile as he was at BVB, Rashford is slower off the mark than you'd expect from him, Fred, McT and Van De Beek aren't quick enough on their feet and miss interceptions, or passes because of it, sometimes it causes them to stumble with the ball in possession and lose it. AWB isn't getting to the interceptions quick enough, and Maguire takes too long to hit the correct pass.

It's never a good sign when player's legs look heavy. We're more than a few seconds too slow, and that shouldn't be happening. Someone like Chelsea will make mince meat out of us if we're like that against them.

Al-T

Sometimes it's just about the result. Tonight was one of those times.

Clearly lots of issues to resolve but tonight's results mean (given head to heads with Atalanta and Villareal) we qualify as group winners for the next stage. After the last few weeks I'm happy with that.

chiz2kul

Deja Vu; we were all shouting "give Ole the job" after his first game in charge. Carrick did well but maybe he should see out the season under an experienced interim manager; Blanc has been touted for this and so has Bruce, but Id like Roy Keane to come in. Then Carrick can be reassessed for next season.
My comment was tongue in cheek mate

tomaldinho1

If Alisson made those the world would be creaming itself
:lol: Why would it matter who made them? DDG is a better shot stopper than Alisson, maybe that’s part of why I didn’t think it was that crazy a night from him.

Man Utd might not thank me for this… get the contract out.. put it on the table…. Let him sign it, let him put whatever numbers he wants to put on there give him what he wants… because of what his done in one watch match, let him sign the the contract and go.. Carrick I can’t believe his not Scholes… he’s doing it, he’s doing his thing… Man Utd are back :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
:lol: Why would it matter who made them? DDG is a better shot stopper than Alisson, maybe that’s part of why I didn’t think it was that crazy a night from him.
More a point that that's an average night for DDG and no one bats an eyelid, but if Alisson did it it'd be cream central and a night never forgotten.

tomaldinho1

More a point that that's an average night for DDG and no one bats an eyelid, but if Alisson did it it'd be cream central and a night never forgotten.
I'm still confused though, let's just say that replay was the best ever save, the rest weren't that amazing? Not sure if you were the original poster I replied to who thought he'd basically bailed us out of losing.

Siezard

Qualification to CL Knockout stages! Ole is saved for now!

Oh wait...he can't even beat Watford???

Chickentown

Did you see that score G?
Do not chat to me
A goal from Ronnie
Another from Sanchy
Arsenal still losing
All you man are booing
Us man are winning
Cause we the Carra boys
Pussy, we the Carra boys
Dickhead, we the Caaaaarrrraaa boooooys
The hell is that.

Longshanks

There was an obvious change when we made the subs, it was tactical. We stepped up the pitch played with a high line and pressed high and forced villareal into mistakes, started dominating possesion and making chances the first goal come from the pressure and come from forcing the mistake by compressing the space with a high line and blocking the passing lanes.

It was an obvious game plan to to be risk free and disciplined for 60 minutes to make sure we were still in the game and not give anything soft away. Villareal didn't create alot, de geas saves mostly come from half chances.

Once we went more aggressive we took
Complete control and it felt like a matter of time before we scored.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
That was definitely the best but we’d be saying it was error of that went in. I’m not criticising DDG for what it’s worth, another poster said he was in god mode and bailed us out which I don’t think is accurate.
All the saves were only worth 0.44 xGOT. A goal would still not be par if he faced them all and saved them all again.

Player Ratings

6.4 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 307 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Villarreal win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 20% Villarreal 1:1 Man Utd
  • 16% Villarreal 1:2 Man Utd