CL W Champions League Group F

Villarreal 0:2 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Tue, 23 November 2021

MattJ166

Im pretty sure if we lose on December 8th and Villareal win then they will go top on goal difference or am I missing something?
Champions League group are decided on head v head when two teams are level on points

RedBanker

I love you Ole
Villareal was toothless in attack without that Moreno guy. But a proper manager will have us crushing average teams such as Villareal. So much potential in this team even without Varane, Pogba

reddevilz007

Ole’s ghost kind of performance. Not going to win anything with this coaching staff.

Daengophile

For all the whining that has been made in this site, our coaches and players went out, against the odds, got a result and we top the group and qualify for the knockout stages in 2-3 months time.

For me, last night was more about a clean sheet and the begining of some structure than scoring goals

Nordmore

Only watched the highlights, but looked like DDG kept us in the game and it took them gifting us a goal to take the lead.

Either way a good result, particularly considering we currently don't have a manager. Nice to see Sancho get off the mark at last as well.
Yep pretty much this you're not wrong. I'm really happy we won but tbh it's basically still the same performance. The only difference was we're a bit more lucky than recently and the brainfart was on the other side. Had one of their shots gone in in the first 60-70 minutes it'd be a very different outcome I think. We can't continue to play like this and hope luck is always on our side and the brainfart is always on the other side. More than often with us unfortunately it's the opposite.

Newtonius

Already seeing talk about how good Carrick looks on Youtube/Reddit comments and its like we have learned nothing our fans are going to get him appointed aren't they.

While we definitely saw a change in procedure in terms of subs and selection, and i really loved how he looked animated and was ACTUALLY UP OFF HIS SEAT Oles first game against Cardiff i think it was, is still fresh in my mind. Looked like absolute world beaters spraying the ball around so quickly that they were chasing shadows even Lindelof and Jones were so high up the pitch that they were pinned in their own half, clearly none of these were tactical instructions and came from a boost after Jose, and the same can be said about any kind of structure today too its only been two days - it just so happens we were so uncoached that even a nominal improvement is appetising.

Slevs

likes to play with penises
Take that you yellow submarine time wasting cnuts

Freak

Born a freak always a freak.
For all the whining that has been made in this site, our coaches and players went out, against the odds, got a result and we top the group and qualify for the knockout stages in 2-3 months time.

For me, last night was more about a clean sheet and the begining of some structure than scoring goals
100%. Important away game - 3 points, clean sheet, some resemblance of team structure and organisation, qualification for the next round. Take it and move on.

How people can complain after that I don't know considering what the team/club is going through.

big rons sovereign

Look at me, Mum. I’m on Redcafe. Soccer, you know? Football forum. They call it ‘the Caf’. It’s mostly old people. Some even go to matches, in stadiums. Like Old Rockford. So cool,

But most of Us watch on illegal streams that keep freezing. My favourite thing is winding up the ‘true Reds’. SAF was a God (he used manage us ‘back in the day’). You say ‘siiiiiiiiuuuuu’ when CR7 scores. You say ‘Matic is too slow’, that always sounds good. You say ‘Dippers’ instead of Liverpool. We hate them. And ‘get in’ when we score. What fun!
What is the meaning of this outburst? :lol:

Ixion

While the opening half hour wasn't great I was saying in the match-day thread I thought there were some encouraging signs. You could see they were trying to stay compact, trying to keep things basic, not leave as much space, and make no mistakes. The past few weeks have shell-shocked them and getting through that first half with a clean sheet was needed.

Zed 101

I think confidence is clearly low, the goal sparked an improvement but prior to that we were almost as woeful as we have been recently and could have easily been 2-0 down by half time, whoever comes in has got a hell of a job on their hands sorting out a functioning defence

edgecutter

Yeah, plucky United against the juggernaut Villarreal.

You would swear that we didn't have one of the most expensive squads ever.

Bestietom

Let's just see what we can do with Chelsea this weekend. A lot on here could be up in arms once again.
We need to get a long term manager in ASAP. And give him money to spend in January.

dutchred

Let's just see what we can do with Chelsea this weekend. A lot on here could be up in arms once again.
We need to get a long term manager in ASAP. And give him money to spend in January.
I would like us to bring Laird back in January. Then he could build a an understanding with Jason. Also we should look at playing Elenga on the left and let him build an understanding with Shaw.
One of the reasons for Ajax success is the understanding between Blind and Tadic on the left and Masaroui and Anthony on the right.

Dans

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
A welcome result, but a false dawn in all likelihood.

I didn't think we played well against an off form Villareal. Ronaldo's goal was a real stroke of luck, let's be honest and we didn't really look like scoring in the match until that point.

Perhaps the win will can have a liberating effect, but the play wasn't much different from under OGS, although unreasonable to expect that it wouldn't be. We kept a clean sheet - that's a positive, but Villareal were really poor and nothing like the team we played earlier in the competition.

Hopefully we build on this, but I am sceptical.

BigRon1985

Nice to see Carrick looking very dapper in his suit on the side-lines.........releasing his inner Southgate! :eek:

Mike Smalling

Just saw on Reddit that we have been in the lead for a total of 86 minutes over our 5 Champions League games. 53 of those minutes were in our loss to Young Boys.

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
I would like us to bring Laird back in January. Then he could build a an understanding with Jason. Also we should look at playing Elenga on the left and let him build an understanding with Shaw.
Why Elanga, when some of the best attacks seen from United over the last couple of years have come from the Rashford/Shaw link up on the left.

So far this season you've been unable to play the front three of Rashford, Ronaldo and Sancho, but once you can make this a regular starting front three, with Greenwood, Cavani and Martial/Elanga as back up, it'll be frightening

Matt851

He’s being used as a coach too because of COVID regulations. He wouldn’t be able to get near the dressing room or other coaching staff otherwise on matchdays.
Eh, I don't understand this, he is being used as a coach because of COVID regulations? What is he doing sanitising the lockers?

I certainly don't remember many other premier league sporting/technical directors sitting on the bench offering tactical advice to players. My guess is its just because we are a shit show

Hughes35

Great result but I actually thought the performance was pretty poor still.

Sancho looked great and De Gea / Ronaldo bailed us out..... Also a shout out to Fred for winning the ball back for the goals.

We were still far too passive for my liking and a better team would have punished us.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
What if Carrick is a good manager? :lol: :lol:

Ole has fecked up any hope of him having a chance here.

dutchred

Why Elanga, when some of the best attacks seen from United over the last couple of years have come from the Rashford/Shaw link up on the left.

So far this season you've been unable to play the front three of Rashford, Ronaldo and Sancho, but once you can make this a regular starting front three, with Greenwood, Cavani and Martial/Elanga as back up, it'll be frightening
The reason I said Elenga is that I want him to get integrated into the first team. I agree about Rashford but he has been so inconsistent this season

Natener

Two days aren't going to change our system on the pitch. The only importance of this game is to start getting some confidence back for our players after the recent horrific run. Sadly, that could all be derailed again when we play Chelsea. I'm just hoping for the best that we don't get played off the park like we did with City and that will at least not give any worse of a mess that we have to the interim manager whoever that's going to be.

cyril C

Yep pretty much this you're not wrong. I'm really happy we won but tbh it's basically still the same performance. The only difference was we're a bit more lucky than recently and the brainfart was on the other side. Had one of their shots gone in in the first 60-70 minutes it'd be a very different outcome I think. We can't continue to play like this and hope luck is always on our side and the brainfart is always on the other side. More than often with us unfortunately it's the opposite.
The 1st 60th min was essentially the same, if not for DDG. However, we were much more discipline and at least not gifting goals like the last month or so. In fact, we kept a clean sheet, which was since when? It is painful to call this an achievement so no-one would drop any tears for Ole, something must be done, and Ole must take the blame, although Carrick, the team, must also be responsible.

Only positive point is Sancho, much more confident with the ball and tries to attack with the ball. Not sure it was Carrick or because of management change. VDB is still the invisible man though.

Matt851

He shouldn't have a chance of getting the managers job at united anyway. If he thinks he is a manager he should find a lesser job, work his way up and then come back when he has proven himself

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
He shouldn't have a chance of getting the managers job at united anyway. If he thinks he is a manager he should find a lesser job, work his way up and then come back when he has proven himself
Don’t disagree - but in a parallel universe where Ole hadn’t blown it for ex players this board would be daft enough to give it to an ex player for a decent run of games.

Imagine if he beats Chelsea - they’ll at least be dreaming of saving themselves some money until the summer.

minoo-utd

Bruno reaction on the second goal was a bit strange, he looked not interested with the celebration at all.

norm87cro

No mather what we are top of the group with a game to spare. That is a luxury I didn't think we could afford this season. After the Chelsea game (Where I would take a draw and I think most of the CAF would) prehaps we can have a good run of games

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.

He can go elsewhere and prove his credentials. Utd will always welcome him back.

justsomebloke

He's never been a manager anywhere. Compared to his, OGS' manager CV was really extensive. There's no way he should in any way be an option for that job, regardless of how well he does.

justsomebloke

The 1st 60th min was essentially the same, if not for DDG. However, we were much more discipline and at least not gifting goals like the last month or so. In fact, we kept a clean sheet, which was since when? It is painful to call this an achievement so no-one would drop any tears for Ole, something must be done, and Ole must take the blame, although Carrick, the team, must also be responsible.

Only positive point is Sancho, much more confident with the ball and tries to attack with the ball. Not sure it was Carrick or because of management change. VDB is still the invisible man though.
I wouldn't exaggerate how great Sancho was, but what matters is he's starting to look like something - this was a really good step in the right direction, and following on an impressive second half against Watford.

But I do think there were some additional positives.

- De Gea: World class save to keep us in the game midway through the second half
- Actually a really strong defensive performance by Lindelof, especially in the second half. Some good through balls too.
- Rashford and Bruno both looked energised and refocused when they came on. Doubt they'll start on the bench again.
- While not exactly a sterling performance by the midfield, they at least offered a little bit more than usual of the things they can do well - Fred hounded the ball away from VR on both of our goals, and McTominay actually supplied some nifty incisive passing on a few occasions.

One I can't really get a handle on is Telles. Most every time he plays, you get a combination of enough exquisite crosses and offensive involvements to make you think there might be a real player there, but then he fades out and there is also always quite a few key defensive duels lost. Maybe he just needs a sustained run, I don't know.

Dante

Average bang
Minutes 0 - 20
Possession--------------Villareal 72.4%---------United 27.6%
Shots on target -------Villareal 1 ----------------United 0
Passes --------------------Villareal 156 ------------United 62

Minutes 21 - 90
Possession---------------Villareal 45.1%-------United 54.9%
Shots on target --------Villareal 2 --------------United 6
Passes ---------------------Villareal 340-----------United 417

After we got over the initial nerves, United were decent.

Player Ratings

6.4 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 307 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Villarreal win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 20% Villarreal 1:1 Man Utd
  • 16% Villarreal 1:2 Man Utd