CL W Champions League Group F

Villarreal 0:2 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Tue, 23 November 2021

Djemba-Djemba

When you think of how horrendous we've been this season, and the fact we lost our opening match to Young Boys it's pretty remarkable we've managed to win the group with a game to spare.

We had a good 2nd half at home to Atalanta and the last 20 minutes yesterday. The rest of the time we've been shite dragged through by Ronaldo.

Maticmaker

Given what has gone before its tempting to see this result (against a realistic opponent) as a turning point, at least of some description, simply because after the first half an hour it began to look like at least we had some sort of plan.
Good to see Donny getting a proper run out, but the truth is the way we play he is always going to find it difficult to fit in. Sancho got a proper go in his rightful position and began to show why we bought him and Fred made a nuisance of himself all night with an assist in both goals.
Whilst he didn't show that much, McT played the best ball of the night to get CR going for the second goal, but man of the match for me was De Gea his save in the first half was the turning point, we suddenly seemed to start believing.

hescoresgoals1899

Villareal was toothless in attack without that Moreno guy. But a proper manager will have us crushing average teams such as Villareal. So much potential in this team even without Varane, Pogba
This...exactly this...yesterday felt like an old school Fergie away CL games. His recipe was do not lose away and win at home and you make it to knock out stages. Yesterday, albeit not a classic, was the first time in a while i felt we had balance in the team and playing to a clear plan. Press high up the pitch and exploit any mistakes. Took pressure off defense and kept us playing in and around their half. I thought Carrick showed some skill. He also used the squad well and gradually increased our attacking threat. This is critical in CL to have plan A B C D and not just a binary approach of one plan that either works or does not. Really shows how far managerial ability and tactical nouse can take a team in terms of results.

Yagami

Good post resistant
When you think of how horrendous we've been this season, and the fact we lost our opening match to Young Boys it's pretty remarkable we've managed to win the group with a game to spare.

We had a good 2nd half at home to Atalanta and the last 20 minutes yesterday. The rest of the time we've been shite dragged through by Ronaldo.
Hopefully Mr. Champions League can carry on working his magic and drag us to number 4. Might as well dream while he's here!

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Hopefully Mr. Champions League can carry on working his magic and drag us to number 4. Might as well dream while he's here!
If we won it this season I’d be more impressed at that win than by any of our others when we were clearly the best team in Europe.

gerdm07

Thinks we should have kept Pereira
Speed! Speed! Speed! In the coaching world the phrase "you can't teach speed" is repeated continuously.

Sancho gives us speed down the right. On paper this lineup

............Ronaldo
Pogba...Bruno....Greenwood

looks really good. However, it has no blazing speed down the wings and this makes it easy for defenses to adjust and stifle most attacks. There is nothing more frightening for a defense than seeing a speedy player flying down the wing. I'm puzzled why Ole didn't understand this factor and give more playing time to Sancho.

DvB has always shown a good touch and an eye for penetrating passes. I'm puzzled why Ole didn't use DvB to give Bruno rest during the last year.

I've said this before and it is getting really frustrating to watch every match and see that the other team has a better midfielder than both McT and Fred. Capoue would be an upgrade for either one. Are any good midfielders available in January?

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
We might even buy a DM in January which would give us a better chance to compete in the knock out stages which only start in February.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
How Martial comes out of this game with the worst rating when McTominay played the full 90 is just beyond me.

Just goes to show some in this fanbase should go watch rugby since they value physicality ahead of football performance.

Alek M

Da manic one
How Martial comes out of this game with the worst rating when McTominay played the full 90 is just beyond me.

Just goes to show some in this fanbase should go watch rugby since they value physicality ahead of football performance.
McT made some great passes, didn't he make the pass for the second. Name one thing Martial did that was positive.

Scholsey2004

Martial was pretty anonymous.

bosskeano

i think the structure of the team off the ball was the same but the biggest change was the discipline of the shape and honestly that came down to Donny at the 10 instead of Bruno

as much as i love Bruno for what he's brought to United, he's EXTREMELY undisciplined defensively. he's constantly chasing like a dog chasing his tail which leaves gaps in the middle of the pitch

Sancho was very disciplined out wide right and even Ronaldo when on the left was disciplined with his shape and actually tried to tackle.

Sancho was the best player on the pitch so hopefully he grows into that and Carrick sticks with him on that side and gives him a run of games. We will need him on Saturday against Chelsea as we won't have much of the ball and will be playing on the counter a lot so his pace will be needed to go at their back 3.

captaincantona

i think the structure of the team off the ball was the same but the biggest change was the discipline of the shape and honestly that came down to Donny at the 10 instead of Bruno

as much as i love Bruno for what he's brought to United, he's EXTREMELY undisciplined defensively. he's constantly chasing like a dog chasing his tail which leaves gaps in the middle of the pitch

Sancho was very disciplined out wide right and even Ronaldo when on the left was disciplined with his shape and actually tried to tackle.

Sancho was the best player on the pitch so hopefully he grows into that and Carrick sticks with him on that side and gives him a run of games. We will need him on Saturday against Chelsea as we won't have much of the ball and will be playing on the counter a lot so his pace will be needed to go at their back 3.
I don’t tend to agree about Bruno. He was undisciplined last season and while we were completely and utterly shite in possession last season... out of possession we did not look even half as fragile. He plays better when disciplined but it didn’t affect us half as much last year. Something changed. He has been playing too advanced this year and it’s no surprise how well he played when he came on and for the most part pulled the strings instead of trying to cover every blade of grass twice.

Lentwood

It's baffling really how a team can basically have no plan for the entire season, sack the manager but retain all of his staff and all of a sudden, there's a clear plan.

I do wonder what on earth Ole was saying and/or doing. It seems that it wasn't only the players that were confused, but the coaching staff too! I don't think Ole was able to articulate to anybody (including really himself) exactly what he was trying to achieve.

I'm not saying we did anything revolutionary yesterday, but there was clearly a plan and or plans. Defending in a 4-4-2, with Ronaldo/Martial alternating in the AMLF when we had the ball, Donny dropping in to form a midfield two with McT. Fred going wide left in our defensive shape. 2nd half, beginning to press higher when Bruno came on, pushing Fred higher to make a four man press (this led to the first goal). The substitutions themselves were clearly planned to have most impact when the game started to open up.

All pretty basic stuff, no doubt, but inarguably a plan. I haven't seen anything resembling a plan and/or the execution of anything you could remotely describes as 'tactics' under Ole.

USREDEVIL

Fun game to watch. Were it not for De Gea's amazing saves we'd have been down at least 1-0 at half time and then, it becomes very hard. It's one of those games we won which we probably shouldn't have. A tie is probably what we deserved. Second half we were really good through Sancho. When Bruno came on we had a lot more possession and they pulled back. Need to try and have Bruno, Sancho, and VDB in the same team. That's some real passing quality with those 3.

justsomebloke

Except McT delivered a considerably better football performance than Martial yesterday.

NICanRed

One of our nicknames is "The Reds". Why on earth when we are playing away in Europe against a team in yellow are we not wearing our proper red shirts? I suppose it has something to do with sponsorship and shirt sales. (thanks Ed!)
I believe we should always be wearing red unless we are playing away against another "red" team such as the dippers.
I own a couple of red shirts and would never buy a second or third shirt but, then, I have been accused of being too traditional (or stuffy - she said!)

justsomebloke

It's baffling really how a team can basically have no plan for the entire season, sack the manager but retain all of his staff and all of a sudden, there's a clear plan.

I do wonder what on earth Ole was saying and/or doing. It seems that it wasn't only the players that were confused, but the coaching staff too! I don't think Ole was able to articulate to anybody (including really himself) exactly what he was trying to achieve.

I'm not saying we did anything revolutionary yesterday, but there was clearly a plan and or plans. Defending in a 4-4-2, with Ronaldo/Martial alternating in the AMLF when we had the ball, Donny dropping in to form a midfield two with McT. Fred going wide left in our defensive shape. 2nd half, beginning to press higher when Bruno came on, pushing Fred higher to make a four man press (this led to the first goal). The substitutions themselves were clearly planned to have most impact when the game started to open up.

All pretty basic stuff, no doubt, but inarguably a plan. I haven't seen anything resembling a plan and/or the execution of anything you could remotely describes as 'tactics' under Ole.
Seriously? Not in any of the wins over City or Chelsea? 5-0 over RB Leipzig? No tactics, or anything remotely close to it?

He's gone now folks. You can safely snap out of the hysteria.

Rightnr

Except McT delivered a considerably better football performance than Martial yesterday.
Absolute lies.

McTominay did a few things right, which he does every game. This is no amazing feat when he gets 90 minutes almost as often as Ronaldo.

He cannot pass, does not make himself available for others and literally grinds our whole play to a halt. He's got no place in a top 4 starting line-up.

The guy literally embodies everything that's wrong with us on the football side - mediocre, beloved not for footballing reasons and protected from his god-awful peformances. Imagine being Fernandes and sitting out a game (rightfully so btw), just to see your rugby kicker of a DM on the field again.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
That was the most organised and disciplined we have looked this season. Good 3 points. Well done Carrick
Exactly what most of us have been complaining about. The lack of organisation.

HailtotheKing

Struggled in the beginning with Villareal’s press but grew into the game. A solid 2nd half and a deserved goal for Sancho.
A solid second half of the second half, perhaps. We played well for the last 20, other than that we were lucky not to be at least a goal down. We had zero ability to keep hold of the ball and just let them have it while staying in a decent shape. Feel like people are overstating this performance a bit based on us getting rid of Ole. For me, that first 60 to 70 mins was vintage Ole. If we let Chelsea have the ball for 70 minutes they’ll be 3 or 4 up before we even get started.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
Absolute lies.

McTominay did a few things right, which he does every game. This is no amazing feat when he gets 90 minutes almost as often as Ronaldo.

He cannot pass, does not make himself available for others and literally grinds our whole play to a halt. He's got no place in a top 4 starting line-up.

The guy literally embodies everything that's wrong with us on the football side - mediocre, beloved not for footballing reasons and protected from his god-awful peformances. Imagine being Fernandes and sitting out a game (rightfully so btw), just to see your rugby kicker of a DM on the field again.
Apparently his pass completion rate last night was 94%, one of our best.

justsomebloke

Absolute lies.

A few things, yes. Such as the key pass for the second goal. Not that he had a good game and not that he's good enough to start often for United, but what did Martial do? He hardly had a positive involvement in his whole 60 minutes. Nada.

roseguy64

Good game by Sancho and really important for him to get a first goal.
Martial needs to rebuild his career in a new club somewhere on the continent, I have lost faith in him ever regaining his form at United.
Telles defensively is a liability and hopefully Shaws blip in form is soon over.
McTominay is a good squad player but he should be nowhere near the starting line up.
Hopefully we can survive the Chelsea game and build some momentum.
Agree with all of this.

roseguy64

feck the reserves! our first team needs to gain confidence first.
We need to play the second XI for that match. December is a busy fixture month and we'll need to use the squad then. Makes sense to give them minutes in advance.

USREDEVIL

We need to play the second XI for that match. December is a busy fixture month and we'll need to use the squad then. Makes sense to give them minutes in advance.
For sure get some of the B team in. We will likely need many of them to get in form. The likes of VDB, Bailly, Lingard, and Greenwood need minutes.

Rightnr

A few things, yes. Such as the key pass for the second goal. Not that he had a good game and not that he's good enough to start often for United, but what did Martial do? He hardly had a positive involvement in his whole 60 minutes. Nada.
Hold the ball up OK and dribble a few time. I gave him 5 but McTominay was not even that.

giggslover

Thoughts after a night to reflect

- De Gea was man of the match and playing at peak right now
- Commentator had it right, Maguire is devoid of confidence.
-Don't think Wan Bissaka nearly as bad as some make him out to be, but I will say that the way Utd currently play he will have be a target for teams when he has possession as I don't see teammates supporting him enough when he has the ball.
- Donny Van de Beek not living up to his reputation a the moment. He's finally getting his chance and he's not taking advantage
- Sancho was better not world beating but clearly had a good game
- Martial looks sooo disinterested at the moment
- Does Everything have to go through Ronaldo? I think Ronaldo should accentuate the team not be the sole focal point
- Think Utd's confidence grew with introduction of Rashford/Fernandes when Van de Beek/Martial went off. Clearly and A and B squad has formed
- Fear for Jesse Lingard's future in a Man Utd. shirt

Siezard

Manchester United have qualified for the Champions League last 16 after a 2-0 win over Villarreal. United have also guaranteed themselves the top spot of Group F as they have the better head-to-head record between themselves and Villarreal — the only team who could level them on points.

Should give Carrick a contract till end of season. This will stabilise the club.

Litch

Won the group, now onto the next game. Nothing more, nothing less. I suspect Poch will be the new manager by the Arsenal game, then it will be interesting to see how it all plays out...

Player Ratings

6.4 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 307 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Villarreal win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 20% Villarreal 1:1 Man Utd
  • 16% Villarreal 1:2 Man Utd