FA Premier League

Watford 1:2 Man Utd Post-match discussion

Sat, 15 September 2018

Marouane Fellaini image Man of the Match Marouane Fellaini
6.3 Total Average Rating
David de Gea image 7.8 Highest Rated Player David de Gea
Anthony Martial image 4.8 Lowest Rated Player Anthony Martial
  1. Sep 15, 2018

DomesticTadpole Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.

Jose said in his press conference that he was disappointed that we didn't carry on playing in the second half like the first.
  2. Sep 15, 2018

RedorDead21 Full Member

I've never seen another top player insist on that shielding of the ball routine like Pogs....he loses possession half the time and it's not like it ever gives us an advantage...at best he plays it back and we start over. It's pure ego and he needs to be sat down and told it's a pointless activity apart from slowing up an already slow attacking unit.
  3. Sep 15, 2018

Flexdegea New Member

Thought they where solid and was expecting the rush.

So much space, need to exploit then more but team is getting somewhere I think
  4. Sep 15, 2018

RedorDead21 Full Member

Well yes....This idea from fans that he tells the team to drop off I find really amusing. Like he and our team are so amazing they can do that to other PL teams. Switch on Switch off is bloody Karate Kid involved!
  5. Sep 15, 2018

Kapardin New Member

Mourinho said something about Young playing RB after the match. If Dalot is not yet ready, I wouldn't mind seeing Shaw and Young at LB and RB respectively. Need to drop Valencia, he's just about done.
  6. Sep 15, 2018

No Idea For Nickname Full Member

"The only thing I don't like about Chris is his haircut" :lol:
    Jose at Presser
  7. Sep 15, 2018

Tomuś Nani is crap, I tell you!

They were lucky not to be swept aside at the interval, mate.
  8. Sep 15, 2018

Schmeichel's Cartwheel Full Member

Positives
    - Great first half,
    - De God at it again
    - Smalling's new do (plus decent performance like)
    - Great set pieces
    - Fellaini was excellent
    - Pogba looked great in the 1st half
    - Lukaku, first touch aside, worked his arse off for the team & bagged a goal
    - We forced their keeper to make a few cracking saves

Negatives
    - Horrible second half
    - Some really sloppy passing at times
    - Matic sending off
    - Pogba looked shite in the second half
    - Alexis quiet again
    - Martial had a shocking cameo
    - Mourinho's shit the bed tactics! (they were there for the taking at 2-0, why let up?)
  9. Sep 15, 2018

Casanova85 New Member

Supports:
    Cruyff/SAF
    Learn your place, Watford.

Had to be us :devil::cool:
  10. Sep 15, 2018

Rozay Master of Hindsight

I’m not saying he played well by any stretch. I just mean he didn’t really play anything. Touched the ball about 4 or 5 times, often just playing simple passes. He tried to play one incisive pass with his first action, otherwise there wasn’t much to rate at all.
  11. Sep 15, 2018

Toddler New Member

Very much in line with this. We need more mentality to play 90 mins.
  12. Sep 15, 2018

Trizy New Member

Typical United. Dominate the first half, take the foot off the gas the second half, concede and defend like a pack of dopes for the remaining game.
  13. Sep 15, 2018

cyberman Full Member

We defended really well though. What did David have to do until the last few minutes from dead balls?
  14. Sep 15, 2018

The Real Treble 99 New Member

A game of two halves & just deserved the win just. As bad as we were towards the end of the game we really should’ve put it to bed. I’ve said before we’re just not clinical & ruthless when it comes to finishing teams off. 1st half fantastic, was a joy to watch! 2nd towards the end & if not for the heroics of DDG was really uncomfortable. Saying that priceless 3 points against a team in form. Slowly but surely Jose will get us there! The positives has to be our football is getting better not brilliant but definitely not a bore. At least now I look forward to the next match as before I dreaded it.
  15. Sep 15, 2018

sunama Baghdad Bob

Mate, it was a big win. No doubt about it.
    Unfortunately, on this forum, people love to be negative and want an excuse to sack the manager and sell players, so they can have new toys on display.
  16. Sep 15, 2018

LoneStar Full Member

That's fair enough. And I agree.
  17. Sep 15, 2018

Bastian Full Member

Relieved in the end. Good first half after the opener. Brief spell in the 2nd when we started to lose focus, two sloppy balls by Pogba, a mistake by Lindelof soon after and we looked a bit ropey. All about the result though.
  18. Sep 16, 2018

Minimalist New Member

Nice goals and some good stuff in the first half. Second half was poor, seems like its just part of our teams character now, but got the result in the end.

Watford are a decent side. On to the next match.
  19. Sep 16, 2018

LolYo New Member

We're a mid table team. Win some, lose some, nearly every game is a struggle and there is no excitement in watching us play.
    Meh as usual. It easily could have gone the other way.
  20. Sep 16, 2018

automaticflare Full Member

I think some folks haven’t watched our games to be honest
  21. Sep 16, 2018

Dwazza Gunnar Solskjær Lutefisk is it!

Supports:
    Moanchester United
    Will we ever score more than 2 goals in a match again?
  22. Sep 16, 2018

LolYo New Member

I think we have the most talented squad in the league or at the very least its debatable and De Gea is awesome. I guess even a horrible manager cant mess that up all the time. Its enough to just barely luck out with 3 points in a game like this.
    Nonetheless uninspiring.
  23. Sep 16, 2018

Bola New Member

A good solid performance today and we finished as deserved winners against a tricky team. My only criticism is the need to put chances away when we are in top - could have gone in 4-0 up at half time given how dominant we were for most of the half.

Some decent looking players for Watford. Not like we need another mid, but I like Docoure every time I see him. Christian Kabasele looks a solid defender as well
  24. Sep 16, 2018

Red Pavan shittest username ever manutddabest791

:lol:

I try to stay away from the Match Day and Post match threads but just thought i'd share my thoughts (albeit outdated ones).
  25. Sep 16, 2018

RuudTom83 Full Member

Good game, it’s the premiership so you are rarely going to have it all your own way.

But overall the attacking play is getting better with each game this season. Just need to be more clinical with the final pass!

But no complaints from me!
  26. Sep 16, 2018

ravi2 Full Member

I cannot recall the last time we had a truly entertaining game, maybe the comeback against City when Pogba decided to play to his potential
  27. Sep 16, 2018

MrBest Full Member

I've been a keen supporter of martial but I think yesterday's performance sums up his attitude. Has the perfect chance to come on and make an impact, lingard has been awful and always will be average and rashford is out for 2 more games. He could of really made a statement for a place. He really does not look interested at all. All the talent but the boy is going nowhere with that mentality. Fair enough he lost his place and did not deserve it but that was almost a year ago. How long will he sulk for? For everything Jose is, miserable arrogant and strange decisions, you have to give him credit the way he has treated Shaw this year who looked more doomed than Martial. Martial needs to take a leaf out of his book and do something. Yesterday was pathetic.
  28. Sep 16, 2018

HailtotheKing Full Member

How can you possibly say there's no excitement in watching us play? I was chewing my nails through half of that half. Yes we backed off and rode our luck but we defended very well and we murdered so many counters. Had we managed to get one of those it would've been a different story. Not to mention all the chances we had in the first half.
  29. Sep 16, 2018

Billy Blaggs Flacco of the Blaggs tribe

A horrible manager? Bog off!!
    They were unbeaten!
  30. Sep 16, 2018

MyOnlySolskjaer Creator of Player Performance threads

For an away game against a team that’s won 4 in a row. I’ve got no issues with the lineup and it worked. Both were good physical presences and ultimately that was the difference.
  31. Sep 16, 2018

haram New Member

We need to be killing games off the counter like we did at the start of last season. There was no reason for that game to be that nervy at the end.

Are we going to say this anytime he does not have the best game? Was you saying this last season? Get off the guys back, we won.
  32. Sep 16, 2018

The Special One is God New Member

Supports:
    No
    I hear people saying the old tired and lame excuse "Martial only played 20 minutes."

Gareth Bale won the Champions League for Real Madrid by playing 20 minutes v Liverpool.
  33. Sep 16, 2018

Isotope Full Member

Supports:
    Ole Ole Ole
    We had many one touch plays that just wasn't there last season, so that's a definite welcome. We had many bodies on their box when attacking, that's a clear improvement. Our defence and midfield could go up against any team in the league.

It's our attack that just fall short though. (current) Sanchez, Lukaku, and Lingard are just not elite attacking group compared to Liverpool, City, and even Spurs. So many good ball supplied to the front on counter attack, but the lack of quality up front just kill them. The sub-standard fullbacks when attacking also doesn't help. It's just insane we kept prioritized another CB last summer.
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2018
  34. Sep 16, 2018

gerdm07 Full Member

I really like the new tactic of playing Pogba behind Lukaku at the end of matches when preserving a lead. It worked vs Burnley and worked today and will lead to goals late in matches. So many reason to continue this:

- Pogba needs less defensive duties because of his fatigue at the end of matches
    - He is tremendous at protecting the ball and gives our defense a break
    - He can be fabulous on the break
    - He and Lukaku work well together

Good stuff from Mou!

Other points
    - Sanchez and Lukaku have no cohesion
    - Martial is still pretty dumb. I don't understand why he tried to pass when he should have taken on his man and on top of that I don't see why he can't execute it fairly simple pass.
  35. Sep 16, 2018

sglowrider Against Oral Equality

Thats the difference between us and City, Liverpool.

We seem to play for 45minutes only whilst the other two teams are relentless and go after you for all 90mins.
  36. Sep 16, 2018

Cantonagotmehere Full Member

Worth watching the whole thing. Lots of good moments. Tough to stay United were shit today.
  37. Sep 16, 2018

tenpoless Full Member

Smallingdinho.

Sanchez still shite, Martial still shite.
    Oh wow... When will They ever "click" with the team or perform up to their capabilities?
  38. Sep 16, 2018

ErranMorad New Member

Good away win against a team on a high. Smalling & De Gea were great. Fellaini, Pogba & Matic were good.

Annoying that we still can only perform in patches. We have periods in the game where we look like world beaters and periods where we look like relegation battlers hanging on to dear life. Still don't dominate games like we should. Started the game well, then Watford were over us until we scored the goals; dominated the rest of the half. Second half gave the initiative to them in spite of being comfortable with our 2-0 lead. De Gea again had to bail us out as we couldn't counter well or just continuously gave them the ball rather than keeping it.
  39. Sep 16, 2018

phunky Needs to change his underwear

:lol: Noodle's post-match analyses are always a delight to read when we win.
  40. Sep 16, 2018

Irish Jet New Member

Supports:
    Anyone but Rashford
    It was a tough win against an unbeaten side. Most people were picking us to lose myself included.

This f*cking place.