PL W FA Premier League

Watford 1:2 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Sat, 15 September 2018

pauldyson1uk

Only watched the last 30 mins, thought we were horrible to watch, Watford were unlucky not to grab a point.
The red card, can't moan about it 2 bookable fouls.
Fallaini was very good and deserved man of the match.

Josep Dowling

Burnley and Leicester walked us off the park did they? How did Watford do in the first half?
Leicester were all over us the entire gameat OT. Watford dominated the ball in the second half.

We fight for scraps most of the time. We play like a mid table team booting the ball to a big man from set pieces.

There has been a complete lack of control in every game this season bar Burnley, who have been absolute dog turd this season.

r3idy

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Jose New 1st Half, Jose Old 2nd half.

Loved the way we moved the ball with pace on the break and counter attack until Watford Scored. Then we kind of went back to Utd January 2018 with very defensive substitutions. That said it's all about results and momentum at the moment. Pogba Impressed me, very efficient on the ball and some very outrageous passes in the first half. Also massive credit to Big Marouane. Clear change in tactics this season with him sitting rather than Matic. Didn't put a foot wrong today and deserved MoTM. Filled a lot of the space where Deeney likes to drop deep.

A couple more results and performances we will be well back in the mix. Redarmy once again well behind Jose which is always good to see.

RedFish

Jose New 1st Half, Jose Old 2nd half.

Loved the way we moved the ball with pace on the break and counter attack until Watford Scored. Then we kind of went back to Utd January 2018 with very defensive substitutions. That said it's all about results and momentum at the moment. Pogba Impressed me, very efficient on the ball and some very outrageous passes in the first half. Also massive credit to Big Marouane. Clear change in tactics this season with him sitting rather than Matic. Didn't put a foot wrong today and deserved MoTM. Filled a lot of the space where Deeney likes to drop deep.

A couple more results and performances we will be well back in the mix. Redarmy once again well behind Jose which is always good to see.
Really was great to hear especially with his detractors seemingly omnipresent.

Crashoutcassius

One maddening moment re: martial was when lukaku got the ball on the right played it to pogba and in the bottom of your screen you could see martial standing at the halfway line not even jogging towards their box. incredible.

pogba had some funny moment today but at the very least he looked like he was making more effort today, and to me really looked like he wanted to score near the end

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
Know it's been said to death, but Sanchez looks nothing like the player he was. Glimpses, maybe needs a goal for confidence, but it's just not working for him here.

GM K

That must have been a very enjoyable game to watch for the neutrals. Very much end to end stuff for many parts of the game. I couldn't take my eyes off it.

It's just a pity that from an attacking perspective, we became pretty average in the second half. But I was happy with what I saw from a defensive perspective in the second half. For a team that has looked worryingly poor defensively this season, I was glad to see us defend well in the second half and see De Gea back to his best.

And it looks like our defenders have cut down significantly on hoofing the ball out when they have it.

Ban

Leicester were all over us the entire gameat OT. Watford dominated the ball in the second half.

We fight for scraps most of the time. We play like a mid table team booting the ball to a big man from set pieces.

There has been a complete lack of control in every game this season bar Burnley, who have been absolute dog turd this season.
Complete exaggeration. Especially Leicester part. Also Watford maybe dominated in the 2nd but certainly didn't walk us of the park.

Ramshock

CAF Pilib De Brún Translator
Swimming against a tide of idiots and spoofers

Other teams allowed to play well shocker.

Josep Dowling

Complete exaggeration. Especially Leicester part. Also Watford maybe dominated in the 2nd but certainly didn't walk us of the park.
Being walked off the park is obviously an exaggeration but I can’t see how any supporters can be happy with the wins so far.

Leicester - 2-1. Leicester controlled possession at Old Trafford. Lukaku missed a sitter at 1-0. Was a tight affair the entire game.

Burnley - 2-0. Was an ok performance against one of the worst performing teams in the league this season. Fairly sure they had played Europa League mid week as well.

Watford - 2-1. Was good the first 10 minutes, Deeney allowed a great chance to make it 1-0, De Gea saves us once again. Played well once it was 2-0 for all of 20 minutes. In typical Jose fashion the team comes out to finish the game at 2-0 rather than finish the game off. We didn’t test Foster once in the second half.

The amount of times we just boot the ball from defence and lose possession. Our best chances today came from long ball tactics and set pieces. It’s really poor.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Away game against team in magnificent early form plus right after international break.

Happy.

el3mel

They weren't. They controlled possession but that's it. Had only one good chance the whole game.

We need to improve our possession, sure, but Leicester was a comfortable win if you tried to watch the game again without the bag of nerves present on watching a match alive.

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
This is the kind of game that was the difference between us finishing 2nd last season and 6th. Great determination by the lads and clear tactical masterclass by Mourinho again.

Eddy_JukeZ

Don't think we played well in the 2nd half.

Good win though. Some momentum being built up potentially.

Josep Dowling

They weren't. They controlled possession but that's it. Had only one good chance the whole game.

We need to improve our possession, sure, but Leicester was a comfortable win if you tried to watch the game again without the bag of nerves present on watching a match alive.
But that’s my point Leicester should not be controlling possession at Old Trafford for much of the game, which is exactly what happened.

Ban

Being walked off the park is obviously an exaggeration but I can’t see how any supporters can be happy with the wins so far.

Leicester - 2-1. Leicester controlled possession at Old Trafford. Lukaku missed a sitter at 1-0. Was a tight affair the entire game.

Burnley - 2-0. Was an ok performance against one of the worst performing teams in the league this season. Fairly sure they had played Europa League mid week as well.

Watford - 2-1. Was good the first 10 minutes, Deeney allowed a great chance to make it 1-0, De Gea saves us once again. Played well once it was 2-0 for all of 20 minutes. In typical Jose fashion the team comes out to finish the game at 2-0 rather than finish the game off. We didn’t test Foster once in the second half.

The amount of times we just boot the ball from defence and lose possession. Our best chances today came from long ball tactics and set pieces. It’s really poor.
So we must be worried about victories as well as loses? You said Leicester was a tight game then said they controlled possession. They were a bit better in parts of the game. Nothing special.

el3mel

But that’s my point Leicester should not be controlling possession at Old Trafford for much of the game, which is exactly what happened.
Ok. We should improve on that for sure, no one is saying otherwise but "were all over us" is exaggerating imo.

Josep Dowling

So we must be worried about victories as well as loses? You said Leicester was a tight game then said they controlled possession. They were a bit better in parts of the game. Nothing special.
Yes I am worried because there is only so long that you can narrowly win games. Which is what we are doing right now. They had a great chance in the last minute to snatch a point. And as I said at no point did we test Foster in the second half.

Red Pavan

shittest username ever manutddabest791
Good win. Expectations have dropped considerably though because that was just another average performance and lacked any sort of cohesion in the attack.

stu_1992

Not perfect. Good first half and there were encouraging signs there. Need to kill off games a bit more. Matic will be a big loss next week.

Ban

Yes I am worried because there is only so long that you can narrowly win games. Which is what we are doing right now. They had a great chance in the last minute to snatch a point. And as I said at no point did we test Foster in the second half.
We are doing it right now but not every game will be the same whole year.

mu4c_20le

The feck happened to Sanchez.
It's like his age has suddenly caught up to him. He's no longer dribbling and beating people, resorting to long crosses most of the time. Might as well play lingard or pereira in his position when rashford gets back.

Okey

Take the points and run! Smalling is a god. For that goal alone, all sins are forgiven...LOL

RedorDead21

It's like his age has suddenly caught up to him. He's no longer dribbling and beating people, resorting to long crosses most of the time. Might as well play lingard or pereira in his position when rashford gets back.
No he never had to pick the ball up for Arsenal on his own half way line with 2 options max ahead of him....he played in and around the box with 5-6 others playing quick one twos.....we needed a competent winger who would run in behind at pace...

Alabaster Codify7

Good game, tough game and a hard-earned but satisfying 3pts.
Could have been 4-0 up at half-time alone. Disappointed we didn't push on grab more goals in the second half but still. Smalling and Fellaini were my MOTM but Pogba was decent as well, some fantastic passes. Onto the next one.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
Pogba was very good until they scored, then seemed to become strangely obsessed with getting the ball and standing still with it trying to fend off the entire opposition team.

Matic played well but it was like he saw Rashford's red card last week and felt the need to try and out stupid it.

Fellaini always looks a decent player when he actually has a defined role in the team. The problem with him is that this happens about one in every ten games he starts. Today you could tell what he was in the team to do and that he was doing it very well.

Valencia looked like he'd been told before the game that if he ran over a certain speed or distance he would explode.

Can't deny Lukaku's knack for scoring goals even when he plays like Emile Heskey, but I still prefer the version of him that scores goals without playing like Emile Heskey.

I thought we were decent in the first half, though Watford having some kind of meltdown after we scored turned it into looking like we were thrashing them. Second half I was actually really impressed with how we were playing it out from the back quickly and picking out our forward players, despite being put under pressure. Problem was that a) all of our forward players were guilty of being given the ball in great situations, and cocking it up, and b) wiith 10 minutes to go we just decided to completely stop doing this for no real reason other than to allow Watford to attack with more players.

I can also understand hw Martial frustrates Mourinho. Brings him on with the game stretched in the perfect situation for him. Almost instantly he's fed a great ball putting him 1 on 1 with the full back...and instead of takking him on he cuts inside but so slowly that the fullback just walks back into his way, then just stands there.

There are some players who are cool enough to have a stupid hairstyle and transcend the fact it makes them look like an idiot. Smalling is at the exact opposite end of this spectrum. In that even if he had cool hair it would still make him look like an idiot.

LoneStar

Tbh I’m not sure how people can say this as definitively as they have been. He played 20 mins and his sample size was too small. People are talking as if he failed to control the ball everytime. Either that or they are taking that moron Keown literally who was accusing him of playing a poor pass over and over when it was Valencia.
20 minutes is enough to base a performance on, not like he was subbed on after 90 for wasting time.

He played quite poorly for those 20 minutes and its a completely fair thing to say. If you bother to read my post completely, I told that he didn't come on when we were playing well.

People didn't seem to have a problem last season when he used to come on late and score goals. But if he doesn't play well, 20 mins is too low now?

Toddler

Great result and great first period.

But I still have to say that our second half was a bit shambles (I do realize that we had a good opponent today). I should not happen like that. We kept misplacing simple passes and our attacking was mindless. It just seems to me that the team does not have the mentality to play 90 mins of good football very often. Leaders missing?

Man of the Match

Marouane Fellaini image Marouane Fellaini 39% of 668 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

6.3 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 451 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Watford win
  • Draw