PL L FA Premier League

Watford 2:0 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Sun, 22 December 2019

Frank Grimes

This is what you get when you have a failed ex Cardiff manager at the helm. Our points total after almost half a season's football is pathetic. Ole out (I was always against him getting the job btw - zero credentials)

LVGSdive

So you think Klopp and Pep don't give speeches to their players to motivate them. Klopp is bouncing up and down on the touchline the whole match. Ole just sits there.
What Ole supposed to say exactly... Well I know it's extremely difficult for you boy's... Only on 100k+ a week to play football for Manchester United. You can only buy those £5M mansions instead of the 10M mansions and your wags are only 9/10 instead of 10/10... So let me give you an inspirational motivational team talk, that will help you run around on a football pitch for 90 minutes...

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
What Ole supposed to say exactly... Well I know it's extremely difficult for you boy's... Only on 100k+ a week to play football for Manchester United. You can only buy those £5M mansions instead of the 10M mansions and your wags are only 9/10 instead of 10/10... So let me give you an inspirational motivational team talk, that will help you run around on a football pitch for 90 minutes...
The pride of playing for Manchester United. A win and we are in CL contention, the fans who follow you everywhere and they deserve better. It's coming up to the January transfer window by the way lads.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
just sat through Ole's post-match interview again: he says nothing. we know we started too slow and were poor. Ole: you are the one who's meant to change that. he has no clue. totally inept. as bad as any player on the pitch. achieved the impossible: worse than moyes. go now for the good of the club and your status. just go

Lemansky

At this point I'm just used to it, Alan Smith said on commentary that people thought we'd turned a corner after the City and Spurs games, but that just shows as usual the media puppets aren't in touch with the actual fans, as nearly all of us said the bigger test of where we were at was going to be Everton and Watford, who would both play a deep block, and sure enough, just like Villa before the Spurs/City games, we failed to get the job done and this time even lost to a team that have only taken 9 points all season.

I'm not interested in shots at De Gea, AWB, Martial, Lingard, Rashford, whomever is getting the blame this week, the common denominator is the coaching staff, we just don't have any patterns of play outside of counter attack, that's on the coaching staff as it's happening over and over.
The common denominator over years have been our players. They have now failed under 4 different managers. Lingard is exactly why we have problems. He would not get minutes at any serious clubs in the Premier League. Ole is not the best man for the job, but Pochettino etc would never turn bad players like Lingard into world beaters. Our squad and first eleven is poor in comparison with Chelsea and Spurs. In comparison with Liverpool and City we are miles behind.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Apparently Ole was getting paid more than Klopp was until Klopp signed a new deal. No idea if he still is as the German has probably had a well deserved payrise.

This speaks volumes about this club. Klopp is one of best managers in world.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
At this point I'm just used to it, Alan Smith said on commentary that people thought we'd turned a corner after the City and Spurs games, but that just shows as usual the media puppets aren't in touch with the actual fans, as nearly all of us said the bigger test of where we were at was going to be Everton and Watford, who would both play a deep block, and sure enough, just like Villa before the Spurs/City games, we failed to get the job done and this time even lost to a team that have only taken 9 points all season.

I'm not interested in shots at De Gea, AWB, Martial, Lingard, Rashford, whomever is getting the blame this week, the common denominator is the coaching staff, we just don't have any patterns of play outside of counter attack, that's on the coaching staff as it's happening over and over.
The players were very poor today, but I agree that the set-up is beyond dire. Perhaps I'm forgetting just how bad certain matches such as West Ham were but I'd say that was our worst game of the season. Moving the ball too slowly, without even a hint of intelligence, preferring not to reach the byline or take men on in favour of attempting intricate moves and low percentage passing options that we almost invariably fecked up. I am absolutely sick of putting in these horrible performances against sides who put men behind the ball and defend with a bit of organisation and purpose, throwing a way armfuls of points that would have us sitting pretty in the top four. Abysmally, embarrassingly shite.

Rolaholic

Pochettino looks an increasingly attractive prospect after each one of our matches against non top 6 sides...

Swivel Hips

I look at today’s game and I think it shows, that despite, the players at you disposal and the difficult times you have been having, a new man at the helm with the right organisation and man management can have an impact. The whole eleven players on the pitch today for Watford gave a storming performance for their manager, as they did also against Liverpool last week, and with any luck could have taken something from that game. I look at United at the moment with despair, I have been through the bad times with them in the seventies, when they were abysmal, week in week out. Sadly I’m beginning to get that feeling again, and, unless things do not improve by the end of Jan, by which time we could be put of EFL and FA cups, no chance of fourth. Europa League? mmmmm It has got to be Poch.

Reactions: Penna

cruseofried

Can I humbly ask what getting rid of Ole will achieve when clearly it's the inconsistency in the players which is the main problem. How can you blame Ole for that glaring Howler by DDG or the fact that he was the only player on the pitch that didn't know that Deeney puts them down the middle or that incredible miss by Lingard which might have turned the game. Another manager, regardless of how many trophies they've won, will not become expert in polishing turds and we've still got a few in our ranks. January will tell a tale.
Patience brothers. :devil:

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Can I humbly ask what getting rid of Ole will achieve when clearly it's the inconsistency in the players which is the main problem. How can you blame Ole for that glaring Howler by DDG or the fact that he was the only player on the pitch that didn't know that Deeney puts them down the middle or that incredible miss by Lingard which might have turned the game. Another manager, regardless of how many trophies they've won, will not become expert in polishing turds and we've still got a few in our ranks. January will tell a tale.
Patience brothers. :devil:
He's the coach, he apparently coaches them. He has been here a year and should have a system in place and the players should be well drilled into how to play it.

DoomSlayer

This game cements our status as a club fighting for top 6, but probably finishing between 7th-10th place. I think Ole should focus on the cups, Europa League specifically, try to win it and then step down in the summer. It's just not going to work, I'm afraid.

Gordon S

What i will never understand is how the players can look so sharp and switched on against top teams like Spurs and City and then drop to these slapstick comedy levels aginst relegation fodder?!

Blades1889

Supports
Sheffield United
Just seen the result, how have you gone from that performance at city to this?

cruseofried

He's the coach, he apparently coaches them. He has been here a year and should have a system in place and the players should be well drilled into how to play it.
This of course assumes that the players are consistently good enough. I think he needs another two windows before we judge him. We hired three very experienced managers (two of them big trophy winners) prior to Ole and they couldn't sort it out having spent a lot of money so where does that leave your argument. Do you want to continue having a lucky dip in the manager bag or give it a little more time of which we have plenty.:devil:

RedorDead21

This of course assumes that the players are consistently good enough. I think he needs another two windows before we judge him. We hired three very experienced managers (two of them big trophy winners) prior to Ole and they couldn't sort it out having spent a lot of money so where does that leave your argument. Do you want to continue having a lucky dip in the manager bag or give it a little more time of which we have plenty.:devil:
Most managers don’t get 4 windows before they are judged on their coaching. No one here is banging on about his recruitment and his letting go of players. That’s been not too shabby. The coaching of the team and how we are playing is what everyone is saying hasn’t been up to scratch.

Asger

Do you really think our players are so crap and Ole so good, I know Disney fairy tales are great but there origins are actually in much more sinister stories.
I never said Ole was good but I know our players are crap.

Anustart89

Just seen the result, how have you gone from that performance at city to this?
To be fair, we came from results exactly like this into the Spurs/City games.

We're just very consistent in our performances depending on who we're facing.

cruseofried

Most managers don’t get 4 windows before they are judged on their coaching. No one here is banging on about his recruitment and his letting go of players. That’s been not too shabby. The coaching of the team and how we are playing is what everyone is saying hasn’t been up to scratch.
Van Gaal and Mourinho did over a five year period. :devil:

Blades1889

Supports
Sheffield United
To be fair, we came from results exactly like this into the Spurs/City games.

We're just very consistent in our performances depending on who we're facing.
Up for it against rivals, pants against anyone else? Those 7 minutes against us showed that you can carve teams apart so it’s a mystery to me

Blades1889

Supports
Sheffield United
I assume you watched when we played you. That's generally how we play, except this time we didn't get lucky.
I just commented about that, for 7 minutes you ripped us open. Why is it not possible to play like that when you’re capable?

Anustart89

I just commented about that, for 7 minutes you ripped us open. Why is it not possible to play like that when you’re capable?
You'd have to ask Ole what they're doing in training. It's a pattern that doesn't seem to be getting any better which is why I'm very much against the idea of him being the guy to rebuild the club. Even if he gets players, he doesn't seem to care enough about actual patterns of play.

Passion and hunger will only get you so far, especially when you fail to instill even that against 75% of the opposition.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
It is a strange one. I suppose it would be easy to chalk it down to luck but we're clearly able to play well when we try.

I think the problem is that we rely on the whole team playing above themselves as we don't always have individuals within the squad who elevate others' performances. I think I speak for a lot of people my age when I say we all grew up watching class players who could turn a game on its head.

Really seems to be what we're lacking at the moment.

Last edited:

Alejandro Angel

Van Gaal and Mourinho did over a five year period. :devil:
We have been poor, but all the managers post Sir Alex have been brutal, It has been poor attitude from players, not one player has stepped up as a Leader, Our club captain is Ashley Young a decent player but nowhere near previous Utd Captains Robinson, Bruce,Cantona, Keane,Neville,Vidic they all were leaders in different.
I believe Solskjaer should have complained too the fourth official, we were bullied but it is overlooked and not commented on due to the narrative that the pundits like to create it is a better story that Utd are beat. (I think utd were poor and many performances were sub par but Hughes did not get booked despite several bookable offenses and how does Cathcart get away with diving save it should have been a red card I know it would not have changed the result) it just goes to show the referee was suspect along with three minutes given the time wasting and six subs made in the second half.

AneRu

What i will never understand is how the players can look so sharp and switched on against top teams like Spurs and City and then drop to these slapstick comedy levels aginst relegation fodder?!
Possibly because they are game raising so and sos like Liverpool of old. We are missing real world class additions across the pitch as in one dominant CB, world class game controlling CM, a crafty AM and a goal scoring wide forward. Get those four additions right and you have a challenging team but with our recruitment structure that is likely going to cost us half a billion pounds if not more.

KennyBurner

You know what bothers me about this team. They are only motivated by external factors. The derby, getting revenge on Jose etc. The internal factors like Ole, Phelan and the fans they wont turn up for. Its pretty disgusting when you think about it.

It also doesn't help when you have a manger who doesnt learn his lesson quick enough. Last week lingard was atrocious and it was obvious he doesn't fit in the current team. Yet Ole decides to start him again. I dont know why it takes so long for Ole to be ruthless with his team selection. It wouldnt surprise me if Lingard starts in the next game.

These last two games was the prime opportunity to catch up after our horrible luck the first 3 months and we threw it all away. I just dont know what is needed for us to consistently win games we are supposed to.

Blades1889

Supports
Sheffield United
You'd have to ask Ole what they're doing in training. It's a pattern that doesn't seem to be getting any better which is why I'm very much against the idea of him being the guy to rebuild the club. Even if he gets players, he doesn't seem to care enough about actual patterns of play.

Passion and hunger will only get you so far, especially when you fail to instill even that against 75% of the opposition.
seems so strange to see one of the top clubs in the world struggle so much to play decent football

It is a strange one. I suppose it would be easy to chalk it down to luck but we're clearly able to play well when we try.

I think the problem is that we rely on the whole team playing above themselves as we don't have individuals within the squad who elevate others' performances. I think I speak for a lot of people my age when I say we all grew up watching class players who could turn a game on its head. Really seems to be what we're lacking at the moment, which is perhaps the difference between us, City (Aguero, De Bruyne, Sterling, Mahrez), Liverpool (Mane, Salah, TAA), Spurs (Son, Alli, Kane), and even Leicester (Vardy, Tielemans, Maddison). Arsenal have a similar issue in a way.

Pogba can be this guy sometimes. Rashford too. People say Martial but I don't see it.
It can’t be luck to get results against Chelsea, Liverpool, city and spurs. There’s a good team there but it seems like they are holding back 90% of the time

I fell asleep on the couch at half time, which is just as well, given what happened. I'm sick and tired of this team being beaten by dog shit sides. This a new low, Watford not having won at home all season and scoring just four goals in the process. Of course we turn up and that changes; it's so embarrassing.

We can analyse it until the cows come home, but the fundamental issue is a squad which isn't good enough and a number of players who just don't care. It's going to take hundreds of millions to put right, and that before we discuss the manager's position. It's been a year from hell, with Liverpool tearing it up as we slip into obscurity. I fell alienated from the club. If the players don't care, why should we?

TheRedHearted

Simple tweek of Pogba or greenwood for Lingard and the game would have been shut down. With james look at our lack of threat on the counter. Was james injured?

Triple.Threat

This game cements our status as a club fighting for top 6, but probably finishing between 7th-10th place. I think Ole should focus on the cups, Europa League specifically, try to win it and then step down in the summer. It's just not going to work, I'm afraid.
There are 8 teams capable of knocking us out of EL with ease.

Snuffkin

I dont know why we turned up 45 mins before KO. Everyone knows traffic at christmas is mental. After the Everton game their arses should have been Ole's and he should have demanded a night in a hotel followed by morning training at Watford.

Player Ratings

4.0 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 362 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Watford win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 25% Watford 1:2 Man Utd
  • 21% Watford 0:2 Man Utd