PL W FA Premier League

Manchester United 3:0 Watford

Post-match discussion

Sun, 23 February 2020

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
We're 9 points behind Leicester now, still have them to play.

3rd is still on if we keep our shit together, keep Fernandes fit & get Pogba back on the pitch.
Well said by a proper supporter.
Nothing wrong with optimism.

wolvored

Poor first half and was expecting Watford to score everytime they went close. James and Martials shooting shocking. After the pen and second half looked a lot better. A better midfielder with Bruno and we would look a completely different team. Good goal by Martial. Shaw deserves a mention as well. James is quick, but his end product is lacking.

Black.Ghost

Couldn't watch, followed BBC and here. A couple more additions to the squad, maybe Pogba sees things differently and decides to stay, real good look for the squad. Bruno Pgoba Fred and McT to pick from, Martial / Rashford on the left, Sancho on the right (dreaming?) and a poacher of a CF to throw into the mix for when you need one as well. Someone in the match thread suggested Luke Shaw as a CB, I like that idea a lot be he'd be a left sided CB and Maguire is that already. He and Williams fighting for position keeps them both sharper and gives us options. I'd give Bailly a run of games as he comes back into full fitness. I think there is the making of a good future there, with just enough of a sprinkling of superstars to win games from nothing and bring the joy back to OT.

Shiva87

Felt like one of those performances that we took for granted under SAF towards the end of his tenure (circa 2009-2013). Many times we'd have gone in at 1-0 or 0-0 having been under pressure only to come out in the second half and make the scoreline more comfortable.

Watford set up well in the first half, targeted Fred wth pressing and none of our players, nor Ole reacted to it so he kept getting caught and we kept trying the same thing which was insane. Sorted it second half and we had much less trouble.

Struggled at times against a stubborn and confident Watford side but ultimately the scoreline told and certain players had great games. Bruno was mega, Shaw excellent and Dan James looks more comfortable on the left once he's told to stay out wide.

Hopefully Ole learnt from the first half performance and sets us up more like we did in the second.

McTominay back is a big boost and another clean sheet is great news too.

If Ighalo had scored, just like against Chelsea then it would've been the icing on the cake. I just hope he gets one sooner rather than later otherwise it'll remind me of signing Michael Owen and watching him miss chance after chance.
Won't complain if he gets a 93rd minute winner against City though!

Orestetes

Enjoyed the game. Bruno is changing the dynamic of this team entirely. I'm kind of hoping to see both Pogba and Bruno play together in our midfield soon.

Shiva87

Brilliant to see what a proper no.10 can do to our team. Bruno was the center of everything today and was super intelligent with his off the ball movement.

We need a few more quality players like Bruno! Rashford, Martial and Greenwood will hugely benefit from it!

red woppit

Supports
Northampton Town
Just looked up Watford's record this season, and from an 8-0 stuffing by city, they have done well against so called top 6. Two draws v Spurs, a draw v Arsenal, two draws v Sheff Utd, single goal losses to Everton x 2, Chelsea, 2-0 losses to Leicester and Pool (missed several excellent chances v Pool as well).

Jaqen H'ghar

I can't drive...55
Great result against a team that's often been difficult for us.

Bruno is quality and a difference maker, he has intelligence and ability in spades. Glad he got his first goal for us today. Onwards and upwards.

Two beauties from Martial and Greenwood. Ighalo has been playing well and has been unlucky not to score yet. If he can keep his chin up it'll come soon.

Theo88

What a player Bruno is turning out to be for us.

And to think we were so close on missing out on him for 5m. High chance this wouldn't have happened if the fans kept quiet about our transfer market dealings.

If he was around forn last summer this could have been a very different season.

Fletchageddon

Bruno works so hard. Deserves everything he gets as he makes it happen. Him and Maguire are really grabbing this team by the scruff of the neck.

Very pleasing to see Ighalo and Chong looking sharp too when they came on.

Ace of Spades

Good win. The squad is looking better, just needs more investment and clear the rest of deadwood hopefully.

Fletchageddon

Enjoyed the game. Bruno is changing the dynamic of this team entirely. I'm kind of hoping to see both Pogba and Bruno play together in our midfield soon.
Pogba is a child who needs people to clean up his mess. Bruno is a grafter. Works so hard and is going to be the heartbeat of this team.

If they play together it will only blunt Bruno.

londonredmaniac

I suffer delusions of grandeur
First half hour was pretty poor. After that, yeah sound. Fernandes is fitting in well.

Brilliant from Shaw and Fred too.

Goal from Greenwood...loved it.

redshaw

Super performance from Bruno again. He's just the player we needed, so glad we finally signed him, better late than never.

With the link up of Rashford and Martial gone Bruno is vital for us to carry on in that manner.

Shaw look very good as well, we'll need both Williams and Shaw.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Amazing what a bit of creativity does. Been saying all along this team isn’t nearly as bad as being made out. I expect CL football now.
That’s 6 clean sheets in the last 7 games by the way!

Teja

Solid game, even in the first half when we were up 1-0 and maybe a bit shaky, we were still dominating possession and getting into interesting attacking areas.

I am excited for this team, we will be scary if we add a world class attacking threat on the right. Easily top four if we add Sancho and keep Pogba this summer.

Okey

Just had to be the day I gave my mate my ticket! Though if I was sure it'll bring us this luck every time, I'll gladly give him for the rest of the season! The Bruno Fernandes show. A Martial worldie. Exhilarating to watch. Brilliant result. I see a run coming... High time too!

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
We're 9 points behind Leicester now, still have them to play.

3rd is still on if we keep our shit together, keep Fernandes fit & get Pogba back on the pitch.
I second this! The race for third is very much still on with a 6-point game to close the gap to go.

Orestetes

Pogba is a child who needs people to clean up his mess. Bruno is a grafter. Works so hard and is going to be the heartbeat of this team.

If they play together it will only blunt Bruno.
Could be, he definitely has his issues. Yet on his day Pogba is still one of the best midfielders in the world imo. Let's hope he can still step up somehow.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
Great game of football. Funny at the end didn't know Welbeck played for Watford, then Ighalo, then Cleverley :lol:

Gasolin

I second this! The race for third is very much still on with a 6-point game to close the gap to go.
Me too! I think we can still do it, bring Pogba on, let's win some games. Everton next and they're not easy but we have to go for the win!

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Could be, he definitely has his issues. Yet on his day Pogba is still one of the best midfielders in the world imo. Let's hope he can still step up somehow.
This.

Some want to make this about personalities rather than the team. Pogba will be vital in the run in. Champions league place to play for, FA and EL cups too. We’re going to need all our main men fighting fit

EngimaMK

Agree with you that Shaw has really improved the last few games. Competition from Brandon has really spurred him on. We need that competition in all positions.
Spot on mate. No idea why people say "we can't sign x player, we already have y player in that position". The best teams have depth in their squads and competition for places spurs everyone on.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
This.

Some want to make this about personalities rather than the team. Pogba will be vital in the run in. Champions league place to play for, FA and EL cups too. We’re going to need all our main men fighting fit
Pogba hasn't been one of our 'main men' at any stage of his time at our club.

Nik70

A little lucky at times with one or two mistakes early on but overall good. Top performances from Bruno, James and Shaw. Greenwood struggled early on but was fantastic second half. Good to see Scotty come on. Martial was brilliant for his goal but I do like him better on the wing. I think Ighalo could do a great job for us starting in the number 9 slot and I expect goals from him.

Shiva87

Pogba hasn't been one of our 'main men' at any stage of his time at our club.
Ya, right!

Our current points total has a lot to do with Pogba being injured for almost the whole period. Whether you like him or not, the quality he brings to our midfield is undeniable.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Revisionist nonsense.

There are some that can’t even enjoy a win without slagging off someone
Please remind me a phase of a season that Pogba was one of our 'main men'. Honestly, aside from 3 games post Mourinho, I can't remember it.

Ya, right!

Our current points total has a lot to do with Pogba being injured for almost the whole period. Whether you like him or not, the quality he brings to our midfield is undeniable.
And yet here I am denying it. Oops ;)

Last edited:

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Please remind me a phase of a season that Pogba was one of our 'main men'. Honestly, aside from 3 games post Mourinho, I can't remember it.

And yet here I am denying it. Oops ;)
You’re entitled to your view and others entitled to disagree with it. Thanks for coming

dalriada

Agreed, he looks much fitter, more positive and as a result looks a different player.
Interesting that he was sent on a different training programme (in Dubai I think) separate from the main squad during the break. We know he has fitness issues from the comments by previous managers. You have to think that Williams's performances have had an effect as well. He will also be thinking about the chances of being Gareth Southgate's plans for the Euros.
Whatever the reason, it seems to have worked - his commitment and fitness, and his defensive judgment, have been impressive since the break.
Let's hope it continues - listening to him on MUTV, he's not an unintelligent guy, he's still only 24 and if he can recover the promise he had when we signed him, he still has a good future. Always think it's something in his head, as though he needs someone to really drive him, which Jose clearly wasn't willing to do.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
You’re entitled to your view and others entitled to disagree with it. Thanks for coming
So you can't tell me a phase of games when Pogba was one of our 'main men'. No problem.

Also happy you're happy with your opinion :)

mancan92

So you can't tell me a phase of games when Pogba was one of our 'main men'. No problem.

Also happy you're happy with your opinion :)
He literally has always been since he got here. All you would have to do is watch any of our matches and see who the most influential attacking player in our team is. 9 times out of 10 its pogba.

dalriada

Comfortable win. Got the correct score.

Enjoyable to see passes going forward. Bruno MoM. Very nice goals from Martial and Greenwood.
Shaw good match.
Other than the beginnings of both halves with the defence dwelling on the ball and giving soft possession to Watford was a fairly good performance.

Hope the cone on a string was directing traffic in the car park, never to be seen again.

Suspect not everyone is happy though, especially the most over-rated manager ever Fanboy Club.

Onwards and upwards, McT back and hopefully Pogba not too far away.
I can see why people are excited at the idea of Fernandes and Pogba playing together -if Pogba could ever be relied on to deliver the commitment to the team, which Fernandes already clearly seems to be doing with much more maturity and less ego, and he's only just arrived.
They could give us the kind of class in midfield to rival City.
Have to say, I can't see it happening - I think Pogba is just running down the clock to a summer departure, and not much to suggest he's looking to anyone's interests but his own.

Man of the Match

Bruno Fernandes image Bruno Fernandes 90% of 404 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

6.6 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 382 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Watford win
  • Draw