PL W FA Premier League

Manchester United 3:0 Watford

Post-match discussion

Sun, 23 February 2020

Cloud7

Didn’t get to see the match, but a great result for us! Really glad to see Bruno finding himself among the goals already. Good signs for us.

MrBest

James look so much better today, still needs to do more though. Bruno was the difference, why we didn't sign him in the summer is the biggest mystery. I would be fine to sell Pogba, with his fer we can bring in two players. Mctominay is back which is great news although Matic has been good. That pass to Chong today was brilliant. Overall it was a professional performance, we still need to do a lot better especially if we sre to beat Everton next week away. 5th now, things are looking more rounded.

dalriada

AWB looks awfully tired though. He needs rest.
s
He does a bit, doesn't he? I haven't counted, but he must have played almost all our matches since he signed for us. We need Dalot to get up to speed to give us options, have to say he didn't look good against Brugge.
Also, not hearing much about Fosu-Mensah, who would be another option - I saw him play with Bailly in the Reserves and thought he looked good, but it's gone a bit quiet since (and I believe he's out of contract in June).

Also wonder about Maguire - I know he's the captain, but he's played almost every game and he's been a bit error-prone in the last few games, very noticeably today against Watford.

Tony247

I don't remember I ever gave any player 10/10. I gave it to Bruno.

Here is a player new to England, new to club and made a place for himself from the word go. And today he stepped up and pulled the strings, provided sublim passes, created chances, defended when needed. He became focal point of the team. When you are a genuinely good player you don't need "time to settle down" or "time to adjust yourself" or "need better manager" or "need better players around" or anything. You just go, do what you do and make the team perform better, that's how simple it is....if you have world class talent.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Man, if only we'd have signed Bruno in the summer :(. I still think this is a great springboard to go for that top 4 spot, feel so much more confident with him in the team.

Some hairy moments in the first half, but got through it to cap off a good result.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
He literally has always been since he got here. All you would have to do is watch any of our matches and see who the most influential attacking player in our team is. 9 times out of 10 its pogba.
Thanks for that. Yes, like you I've seen every game we have played for many many years. You're welcome to drool and idolise Pogba. Its your time and your life!

Personally, I couldn't give a rats arse about Pogba anymore. Cant really think of a player who played for us that I detested more. Even prefer Tevez over him. I have never rated him as a top player, certainly done nothing consistently at our club to impress me, and I can't wait til he leaves our club. And as soon as Pogba does leave in the summer, I wont ever have to think about him ever again! Hurrah!!! :D

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
What a difference Bruno makes! We started shambolic for the first 15 minutes and were lucky to keep clean sheet. Them targeting Fred, who obviously has played too many games and is tired was super cunning and was working. Our CBs were having a bad day, as well.

But then Bruno happened, and not just the awesome penalty, but everything else he did. Sheer class. Absolutely fantastic.

Loved to see Martial score another great goal and a screamer from Greenwood, on his return. Heartwarming to have McT back on the pitch, of course.

Massive 3 points and great game, overall. Onwards and upwards!

Paul the Wolf

France - can't win anything with Swedish turnips
I can see why people are excited at the idea of Fernandes and Pogba playing together -if Pogba could ever be relied on to deliver the commitment to the team, which Fernandes already clearly seems to be doing with much more maturity and less ego, and he's only just arrived.
They could give us the kind of class in midfield to rival City.
Have to say, I can't see it happening - I think Pogba is just running down the clock to a summer departure, and not much to suggest he's looking to anyone's interests but his own.
If we could get most of our better players playing regularly, which we haven't been able to do this season, we would be a force. Fernandes looks to be a great addition.
Pogba is injured and has been for quite a while, the British media doing their usual biased rubbish and people get drawn in to believing it.

red woppit

Supports
Northampton Town
Poor first half and was expecting Watford to score everytime they went close. James and Martials shooting shocking. After the pen and second half looked a lot better. A better midfielder with Bruno and we would look a completely different team. Good goal by Martial. Shaw deserves a mention as well. James is quick, but his end product is lacking.
Yes, we still look a little vulnerable at the back, still not convinced by Lindelof, to me Baillie would have been a better option, but as the guy has just come back from a really long lay off, I can understand. Expect him to play on Thursday. With McTominay replacing Matic, that will give us a bit more pace in midfield. James played OK today, but is still on a massive learning curve, so if everyone fit, would expect him to come off the bench most matches.

Tony247

James look so much better today, still needs to do more though.
James played better because he was back to his favourite position on left. Don't understand why Ole insisted tk waste him on right when he is clearly not cut out for that role.

Still has to learn a lot though.

mancan92

Thanks for that. Yes, like you I've seen every game we have played for many many years. You're welcome to drool and idolise Pogba. Its your time and your life!

Personally, I couldn't give a rats arse about Pogba anymore. Cant really think of a player who played for us that I detested more. Even prefer Tevez over him. I have never rated him as a top player, certainly done nothing consistently at our club to impress me, and I can't wait til he leaves our club. And as soon as Pogba does leave in the summer, I wont ever have to think about him ever again! Hurrah!!! :D
What are you on about? You asked when Pogba has ever been influential to the team and I said since he got here. What had that got to do with idolising. Its just basic facts and logic

NewGlory

This.

Some want to make this about personalities rather than the team. Pogba will be vital in the run in. Champions league place to play for, FA and EL cups too. We’re going to need all our main men fighting fit
Pogba does not have a guaranteed spot, anymore. Our best midfield currently is: Bruno - Fred - McT (with Matic providing decent DMF when needed). If Pogba and his ego want to properly compete for their spot, they are most welcome to try it. But if they want to be the usual complaining divas, then he can feck off and we should use whatever money we get for him to buy couple of proper players who will actually help us through-out the season. He can go prove what he's worth (or not) somewhere else, for all I care.

It's all about the club, and what the club needs, not: appeasing to divas.

Member 101269

My first post got rejected for formatting; i'll try again.

I nearly left at half time because;
  • Fred was awful;
  • Lindelöf looked like he'd never seen a ball;
  • Maguire was playing hoof ball to somewhere or someone. James who was marked by someone taller;
  • James was largely none existent;
  • Martial couldn't score under ANY circumstances and looked uninterested;
  • Wan-Bissaka, Shaw, Matic and Greenwood were whatever;
  • de Gea nice save, but wasn't great;
  • Bruno was trying and looking good, he should have scored two.

It actually looked like Ole had lost the team.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
What are you on about? You asked when Pogba has ever been influential to the team and I said since he got here. What had that got to do with idolising. Its just basic facts and logic
I don't agree that Pogba has had a sustained period of influence and so don't think its factual or based on logic.

NewGlory

• Fred was awful;
  • Maguire was playing hoof ball to somewhere or someone. James who was marked by someone taller;

Note to yourself: don't judge and leave a game before halftime? :) Do agree with most of what you said, however. We could have easily lost this game if not for Bruno, and then others got back in the game as well.

kafta

Perpetual Under 11's Team Player
Good second half. Bruno really the difference Maker. His urgency in driving forward sets the tempo.

Shaw and james were great, and a lovely goal from Martial.

gerdm07

Thinks we should have kept Pereira
First half was a bit dodgy as Watford had a good plan to press at times and cause us trouble. Quality, though, is hard to beat and we have quality with Bruno. Ole made some nice adjustments having James play wider and Bruno more to the left.

I though Chung was a mascot when he was celebrating of the goals. Haha.

Picture this: If Pogba fits in well with Bruno, McT and Fred keep improving, and Ole uses 3 out of 4 wisely, we could go from having one of the weakest midfields to one of the best. The future is looking bright.

Great goal from Martial. Until then I was really frustrated with him. I was really pissed with his pass to Bruno on the left for an opportunity. How he plays that ball behind Bruno is beyond me.

When do we get to see our best 3 up front of Martial on the left, Ighalo at CF, and James or Greenwood on the right? I just hope Martial doesn't sulk when it's clearly best for the team.

Good game from Shaw, Fred and Lindelof. Matic looks like he might be tiring so it's good McT is ready to start Thursday.

Relevated

fixated with venom and phalluses

• Fred was awful;

Did you then remember that a football game lasts 90 mins

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
James played better because he was back to his favourite position on left. Don't understand why Ole insisted tk waste him on right when he is clearly not cut out for that role.

Still has to learn a lot though.
Why did we buy another player who is clearly comfortable on the left ?

EngimaMK

I'm not keen on that, to be honest.
agreed. Don't like the reference to Ronaldo... It sounds desperate and small time to hanker after a player that left us and never wanted to come back. Needy as feck.

Hughie77

Watford came and had a go, that made it better for the way we play, they didn't just sit and defend and hope for a set piece or break away goal. James had more space looked good, Martial has given up the sleeping pills, looks like a striker, that could be because of Bruno, and he made a hell of a difference , Matic has been consistently good for a while was again today. Deserved 3 pts , need to keep the roll going . Plus another clean sheet.

AndyMUFC

Good win. It was a struggle at the start, Watford are well organised under Pearson and we couldn’t handle them pressing high at all but we started to create more as the game wore on.

Great for Bruno to get off the mark from the spot, he’s making a world of difference and the goals from Martial and Greenwood were absolute class.

Hercules

Bruno n James, I could see a lot of times when James was free but Bruno decided to shift on his left and pass to Greenwood/AWB. Not something you want from your team players, he didn't trust James. And James wasn't that bad today, he was good.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan

Cantonagotmehere

Agree with you that Shaw has really improved the last few games. Competition from Brandon has really spurred him on. We need that competition in all positions.
Could not agree more. 2 months or so ago I did not want to see him play for United again, very happy to have been wrong.

I wish he would be more composed in the final 3rd, but over all he has been very good.

croadyman

First half was a bit dodgy as Watford had a good plan to press at times and cause us trouble. Quality, though, is hard to beat and we have quality with Bruno. Ole made some nice adjustments having James play wider and Bruno more to the left.

I though Chung was a mascot when he was celebrating of the goals. Haha.

Picture this: If Pogba fits in well with Bruno, McT and Fred keep improving, and Ole uses 3 out of 4 wisely, we could go from having one of the weakest midfields to one of the best. The future is looking bright.

Great goal from Martial. Until then I was really frustrated with him. I was really pissed with his pass to Bruno on the left for an opportunity. How he plays that ball behind Bruno is beyond me.

When do we get to see our best 3 up front of Martial on the left, Ighalo at CF, and James or Greenwood on the right? I just hope Martial doesn't sulk when it's clearly best for the team.

Good game from Shaw, Fred and Lindelof. Matic looks like he might be tiring so it's good McT is ready to start Thursday.
You probably won't like hearing this but honestly feel we would only be able to fund moves to sign Grealish & Sancho (champions league permitting) by selling Pogba

Man of the Match

Bruno Fernandes image Bruno Fernandes 90% of 404 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

6.6 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 382 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Watford win
  • Draw