PL W FA Premier League

Manchester United 1:0 West Bromwich Albion

Post-match discussion

Sat, 21 November 2020

MiracleInMadrid

Great cameo from Cavani. Looks like a good fit for us.

Telles, Fred, De Gea, Bruno and Maguire got away with it today. The rest really didn't do anything.

It's hard to highlight very good or very bad performances in a match like this. To me, this is down to the tactical setup and ideas in the team. We play very safe, slow and predictable. We don't commit enough offensively, which often leads to attacks not being finished. Which on the other hand gives our opposition the chance to counterattack us and find space, when we inevitably lose the ball when trying to get past 3 or 4 defenders with only 2 or maybe 3 attacking players in the same areas of the pitch at the same time.

Dave Smith

Supports
Anything anti-Dipper
3 points are 3 points but starting to understand why oppo fans are labelling Utd, Penchester Utd these days.

RashyForPM

Positives:

1) Bruno’s stats get ever better
2) 22 points from Bruno (C) in FPL
3) Alright result

Negatives:

1) Everything else. And I mean everything from that game. Players, Ole, horrific football etc.

Shiva87

Just about got a win today. Important to see 3 points more on the board. Team needs to start performing now, and put a run together!

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
Poor display, but pouching the three points and moving on is ok for now.

We did well at the back with what little WBA produced, but equally the attacking side our game was pretty lamentable. We looked completely out of sync with everyone seemingly on a different wavelength in the opposition half. If we'd have conceded that penalty we'd have had a real struggle on our hands to win the game, so we have to count our luck.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
There are people on here that have forgotten that Manchester United have high standards. Scraping a win against WBA is OK now it appears. Still with a negative GD. Can't hit an elephants arse with a banjo. Two defensive midfielders against WBA. When did it change that we worried about other teams not them worry about us?

Superunknown

Got the points, which we needed.

However, anyone who watched the game will know that it was simply nowhere near good enough. It really was an awful performance. I am so disappointed in the mentality of our players and manager. Could have really gone out there today and made a huge statement with a big win and a big performance. Too many cowards in the squad who don't want to score goals, or don't want to at least try to score goals.

Saddy

Penalty for them, De Gea save and hit the bar - we could easily have lost that match.

Bizarre playing Matic for 90 minutes he was gassed at half-time and should have been off with Mata

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Positives:

1) Bruno’s stats get ever better
2) 22 points from Bruno (C) in FPL
3) Alright result

Negatives:

1) Everything else. And I mean everything from that game. Players, Ole, horrific football etc.
Oddly I'd totally forgotten the clean sheet point. Maybe because it feels like we could easily have conceded a non given pen :)

Zen86

We won, but we were bailed out by a penalty once again. Saying that, their keeper made a few very good saves.

We’re struggling at the moment and look a bit disjointed for the most part. I feel like our form is very much dependent on whether Rashford and/or Martial turn up a lot of the time, and they’re both guilty of blowing hot and cold.

Lee565

I so glad that we don't have Mourinho and his boring football any more....

Okey

That might the worst I've seen us play this season, especially taking into account the opposition. Why do we start games so slowly??? Sloppy all over the pitch all game long. Just a bafflingly poor performance. Something needs to give...

Feed Me

I'm hungry
We won, sack him.
We lost, sack him.
We draw, sack him.

Weird fanbase.
Not weird at all. I think people look at the overarching progress or lack thereof and feel like the manager is not up to it. A band aid win against a poor Albion outfit does not alter that.

Wing Attack Plan R

Most of the match looked at the 14U level: loose, sloppy, disorganized. WBA with several good chances needing great saves from DeGea. Many of our players were poor today. Matic looked a second behind the action, Fred was like a child against men, our forwards were dull.

We won with a penalty against a poor WBA - just nowhere near good enough.

GueRed

more shit on a stick football

positives are the 3 points and clean sheet

Judas

Open to offers
I can't believe I still get excited to watch this team, I need my head examined. That was such a painful game to watch.

We're nowhere near where we should be after having a manager in the job for as long as we've had. We're not progressing at all.

Real Name

We won and that is satisyfing.

But its madness to start with both Matić and Fred from the start and even more madness to put VDB just for the last 10 minutes. We had chances but overall we again looked dire, clueless and tired and like the ball is our worst enemy. Especially Martial looked bad and Rashford not much better.

At least we finally won at OT but winning like this against a relegation fodder and being lucky not to concede 2 times they had great chances isn't good by any means.

Mo Caine

Supports
United from 1977 until 2007
i'd just like to apologise to David Bellion, as a few weeks ago i was savaged by Martial FC, when i said i have never ever rated Martial, and called him Bellion 2.0, sorry Dave, at least you tried fella.

edgecutter

Thank feck for bruno, because without this guy we would be staring at something horrific

SamVimes

Everyone understands that the pandemic is effecting the norm. Lots of teams are suffering because of it. No proper pre-season, poorly timed international breaks and an unprecedented level of injuries.

But some things are basic. Tactical approach,team selection and in game management. Nothing I have seen since the restart from this coaching team fills me with confidence.

Today's game reinforces this. Wrong team selection, poor judgement and slow to make tactical adjustments. This cannot go on.

cyberman

Not weird at all. I think people look at the overarching progress or lack thereof and feel like the manager is not up to it. A band aid win against a poor Albion outfit does not alter that.
7 off top with a game in hand? What are we progressing from here?

Chairman Steve

I can’t believe I watched that. This was like watching late 2015 LVG United.

Weve had results like that under SAF where one of the bottom teams came to OT and everyone was expecting them to be massacred, but it ended up being a close game.... but most of the times from memory, SAF chucked out some fringe players for some minutes and rested some of the big hitters, hence why 1-0 or 2-0 slender wins. OGS was playing his best side here.

Lee565

We are a one man team (Bruno) these days. Coaching obviously horrendous.

Need Cavani to start games for us. I love Martial, but hes been shit this season. Either start him on the wing with Rashford on the other, or bench him for a bit and have him work his way back in.
This is basically what ole has relied upon during his time at united, standout individual purple patches, whether it be pogba, rashford or bruno.

Heinzesight

I thought they all looked pretty sluggish tonight from the first whistle so I’ll take the result.

Yeah, we should’ve finished some decent chances but they could’ve scored a couple too. Shoulda, woulda, coulda and all that.

Take the three points and let’s move on and hope we can become more consistent with our performances. It will come as we all know we can do it.

PoTMS

Thank feck for bruno, because without this guy we would be staring at something horrific
Not sure about that. Ole would've been sacked last season without him and you'd think we'd have brought a proper manager in.

Player Ratings

5.7 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 227 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • West Brom win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 32% Man Utd 3:0 West Brom
  • 23% Man Utd 2:0 West Brom