PL W FA Premier League

Manchester United 1:0 West Bromwich Albion

Post-match discussion

Sat, 21 November 2020

Al-T

Grim viewing. 3 points but nothing else to commend that performance.

killerboi2

Getting a lot of penalties is a good thing. Don't understand people saying stuff like Penaldes/Penaldo etc as a negative.

If teams are winning a lot of penalties then it shows that they are doing something right. Ole In. We need to start picking up more wins on the bounce to move up these comedy league positions we are in.

Crustanoid

I think Ole might need some extra protective measures this evening reading the Ole out thread. Reminds me of when Chelsea got created out of dodgy oil money and when the new club were 2-3 years old, their entitled new-to-football spoilt neuveaux fan base sent death threats to the referee, Anders Frisk , forcing him to quit. Very spoilt, and United used to have better fans.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
This is basically what ole has relied upon during his time at united, standout individual purple patches, whether it be pogba, rashford or bruno.
We are lucky is doesn't seem to miss games in a way, because Ole would be screwed without him.

Skåre Willoch

I’m happy with the three points. Could’ve / should’ve scored a couple more. A win for us is the only fair result.

We’re climbing. Passed City tonight. Onwards and upwards.

James Peril

3 points and finally top 10 in the league, which is absolutely strange to write, like it’s a success :nervous:. 0 points for entertainment value, completely lacklustre. We win just because we have better players on the pitch. Another penalty, another lucky decision, it’s almost embarrassing now - I know what the topic of discussion is on Monday during lunch at work.

We should be blazing WBA off the pitch, from the start. They are a shocking side and one of the worst to ever play in the Premier League, yet we put on defensive midfielders and treat them like they’re Everton or Leicester. We won, it’s 3 important points like always, but it doesn’t feel great.

Mo Caine

Supports
United from 1977 until 2007
We won, sack him.
We lost, sack him.
We draw, sack him.

Weird fanbase.
he's a legend but a shite manager, keep him and let him finishing what he's started Weird fanbase.

DomesticTadpole

Getting a lot of penalties is a good thing. Don't understand people saying stuff like Penaldes/Penaldo etc as a negative.

If teams are winning a lot of penalties then it shows that they are doing something right. Ole In. We need to start picking up more wins on the bounce to move up these comedy league positions we are in.
You cannot rely just on penalties. It would mean us hardly getting any goals.

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
Things we have already learned from previous games: We are crap against teams who sit back with this set up and approach

What we did with that information: Approached the game with virtually exactly the same set up, again.

Things we have already learned from previous games: Alex Telles is incredibly good at taking dangerous corners.

What we did with that information: Took him off corners, and decided he would be better employed trying to hoof them in on the full volley from the edge of the box instead. And so set our entire corner routine in the second half around trying to get a fullback to pull off this notoriously oft unsuccessful play, from another person’s corners.

What we have already learned from previous games: Matic can’t play too many games, and will frequently get overrun in midfield late in matches.

What we did with that information; Kept Matic on for 90 minutes, again.

We are an exceptionally dumb, dumb team.

Last edited:

wolvored

Two very poor sides. United lucky to win given their penalty decision and woodwork hit. Huge 3 points and delighted to fall over the line but if that’s as good as we can offer at home to relegation fodda, we’re in for a long hard season. Can’t wait to play away again next weekend
WBA were unlucky, but Utds was the right decision. it was clear hand ball.

spiriticon

I think we blazed them off the pitch but can't finish.

Should have won by 4 or 5.

Eggberto

Fred did well, De Gea pulled off a really good save and that’s about all for the positives.

Even with two weeks off both Matic and mata were off the pace of a slow game and are only fit for the Travellers yard. It’s clear Martial can’t play as a lone centre forward as he can’t hold the ball up, Cavani has to get more game time going forward.

I honestly believe that non of the summer signings were Ole’s pick. Spending £70m excluding Diallo and none of them can really get a game, Alex Telles only played as Shaw was injured. Mata couldn’t get a game last season now he’s are starting right winger in the League is madness.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
Not a great performance. We always need an early goal in these types of matches. They are the difference between a scrappy 1-0 win and an easy 3 or 4-0. The 3 points was really all that mattered.

Easy to pick apart this performance though. I've long said that Martial is the worst type of striker to rely on against a defensive opponent. Just not enough movement or strength. The ball never sticks and because of that our attacking moments always end up being a single move rather than sustained pressure. Cavani instantly shows what we miss there when he comes on.

Mata and Matic were also lightweight. Rashford an off day. I do like Telles though. One of those quickly forgettable games you just need to be happy to take the win and move on.

edgecutter

3 points and finally top 10 in the league, which is absolutely strange to write, like it’s a success :nervous:. 0 points for entertainment value, completely lacklustre. We win just because we have better players on the pitch. Another penalty, another lucky decision, it’s almost embarrassing now - I know what the topic of discussion is on Monday during lunch at work.

We should be blazing WBA off the pitch, from the start. They are a shocking side and one of the worst to ever play in the Premier League, yet we put on defensive midfielders and treat them like they’re Everton or Leicester. We won, it’s 3 important points like always, but it doesn’t feel great.
This is exactly how I feel.

Mr Smith

3 points is 3 points, but hard not to feel like this team is less than the sum of its parts. We have to improve massively if we want to be within a shout of top 4.

united for life

I’m happy with the three points. Could’ve / should’ve scored a couple more. A win for us is the only fair result.

We’re climbing. Passed City tonight. Onwards and upwards.
finally some sense. Weren’t great today but did the job. Sloppy in attack, martial and marcus need to step up. They need to understand that playing for united means they have to show up every game! Mata was poor too...

DomesticTadpole

Things we have already learned from previous games: We are crap against teams who sit back with this set up and approach

What we did with that information: Approached the game with virtually the exactly the same set up, again.

Things we have already learned from previous games: Alex Telles is incredibly good at taking dangerous corners.

What we did with that information: Took him off them, and decided he would be better employed trying to hoof them in on the full volley from the edge of the box instead. And so set our entire corner routine in the second half around trying to get a fullback to pull off this notoriously oft successful play, from another person’s corners.

What we have already learned from previous games: Matic can’t play too many games, and will frequently get overrun in midfield late in matches.

You mean a dumb manager and coaching staff.

Ludens the Red

What we did with that information: Approached the game with virtually the exactly the same set up, again.

What we did with that information: Took him off them, and decided he would be better employed trying to hoof them in on the full volley from the edge of the box instead. And so set our entire corner routine in the second half around trying to get a fullback to pull off this notoriously oft successful play, from another person’s corners.

What we did with that information; Kept Matic on for the full 90 minutes, again.

:lol:
You can only laugh. I am now convinced Ole, Phelan, Carrick and McKenna don’t watch our games. That monitor they’re always watching is not the game.

Barthez

Yeah never been to a single match etc.
well you should know bloody better! - makes me sick such negativity! We beat Everton last time around away, won at home tonight (albeit not a great performance) - Above City/Arsenal in table. Win our game in hand and 4 points off the top. But we must sack the manager! Pathetic

Feed Me

I'm hungry
7 off top with a game in hand? What are we progressing from here?
Sorry, I am unclear on your point. Do you think we are doing well and going in the right direction?

Our next games are against Southampton and West Ham, so I personally would not be sure of closing the gap.

Nik70

Poor performance all round. Very few positives. What I can't understand is how lazy Martial is - not sure if he was on international duty or not and if he was maybe that's his excuse. Along with his wasteful finishing he did us no favors by being flat-footed half the time. I haven't been one to criticize Ole very much but his decision to start two holding midfielders against this poor WBA team was baffling to me. Poor tactical set up and a missed opportunity to get DVB a confidence boosting start.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
7 shots on target vs 2
645 passes vs 375
84% passing accuracy
Opposition goalkeeper MOTM

If you only see the result and think "well, another lucky win because of the penalty" then what is the point in watching the game?

Skåre Willoch

I think we blazed them off the pitch but can't finish.

Should have won by 4 or 5.
This. Both Rashford and Martial should feel the pressure of Cavani right now. They both simply have to score on a couple of occasions tonight.

Giggzy P

That was painful to watch, Ole is really out of his depth, anyone who still thinks he needs time is akin to Trump supporters believing Hugo Chavez was in a conspiracy to rig the elections. I think even Ole knows his not up to it, Just like Trump knows his lost.

The first half was probably the worst football I have seen us play in the PL, it was embarrassing, then for ole and his team to be just Sat there just watching that performance, go to the break and make no Changes at half time was unbelievable.
These performances and lack of direction should be unacceptable at United. We were set up not to lose against West Brom, Show some ambition.

UnofficialDevil

Anti Scottish and Preoccupied with Donkeys.
I'm not anti Scottish, I just wanted Moyes out.
well you should know bloody better! - makes me sick such negativity! We beat Everton last time around away, won at home tonight (albeit not a great performance) - Above City/Arsenal in table. Win our game in hand and 4 points off the top. But we must sack the manager! Pathetic
What can I say if you're happy that's dandy.

PoTMS

What we did with that information: Approached the game with virtually exactly the same set up, again.

What we did with that information: Took him off them, and decided he would be better employed trying to hoof them in on the full volley from the edge of the box instead. And so set our entire corner routine in the second half around trying to get a fullback to pull off this notoriously oft unsuccessful play, from another person’s corners.

Can't blame that on the team. That's on Ole and the coaching staff.

Russky14

Thank god I forgot this was on - watching strictly.

What do you expect carp manager and 2nd rate coaches. Just get rid.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Johnstone had a very good game. Not just the saves, his distribution is rock solid, very good with his feet.

We are muck. So indecisive in the final third, and especially so infront of goal. So many players seem terrified of hitting it. Far too hesitant.

TheGame

7 shots on target vs 2
645 passes vs 375
84% passing accuracy
Opposition goalkeeper MOTM

If you only see the result and think "well, another lucky win because of the penalty" then what is the point in watching the game?
Because it’s easier to call the manager a fraud and just other names and whinge and moan rather than look at the facts. The Ole Out thread is an embarrassment.

Player Ratings

5.7 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 227 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • West Brom win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 32% Man Utd 3:0 West Brom
  • 23% Man Utd 2:0 West Brom