PL W FA Premier League

Manchester United 1:0 West Bromwich Albion

Post-match discussion

Sat, 21 November 2020

killerboi2

You cannot rely just on penalties. It would mean us hardly getting any goals.
Attacking play in general needs to improve but taking it out on penalties is silly to me. Right now picking up wins is the most important thing. And why not rely on penalties if the team keeps on winning them?

LJJT

We got the 3 points. On another day we would have won 3 nil. Martial and Rashford both missed sitters. We need to stop all this flicking and dummying and pure arrogance on the ball. The forwards are so greedy, so arrogant with the ball they think they can blow everyone away and they can’t they miss more often than not. Granted we were not good today but the arrogance of martial and Rashford is seriously screwing us up I hate to say

Hoof the ball

"3 points is all that matters"

It isn't. That's reductionist short-term thinking. Eventually playing poorly consistently reaps its own rewards over the long-term, even if you scratch out a run of wins in the short-term. If I see a team playing well, even when losing, and they look like they're doing something identifiable and coherent, then I have more faith that the long-term will produce something substantial.

edgecutter

Because it’s easier to call the manager a fraud and just other names and whinge and moan rather than look at the facts. The Ole Out thread is an embarrassment.
We're playing the worst team in the league at home. We have seen these performances before already, but let's bury our heads in the sand. Had WBA got the pen and scored it, out goose would have been cooked because we can't break down park the bus teams

Skåre Willoch

Problem is that the best finisher we have is Greenwood and he will insist on sticking him out wide right.
well, he’s not benching both martial and rashford anyway, and somebody has to play on the right. Mata shows some glimpses of class every now and then, but the right side becomes very, very ineffective offensively when he’s on. I’d rather see greenwood play from the right with Cavani (or Martial, still) up front, than the trio we saw today.

ThinkTank@Cafe

7 shots on target vs 2
645 passes vs 375
84% passing accuracy
Opposition goalkeeper MOTM

If you only see the result and think "well, another lucky win because of the penalty" then what is the point in watching the game?
This. I am happy with such a result after the break.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Attacking play in general needs to improve but taking it out on penalties is silly to me. Right now picking up wins is the most important thing. And why not rely on penalties if the team keeps on winning them?
We need to be scoring more goals, otherwise everytime we go up a couple of places, the next day we go back again because of our GD. Martial is a striker, but never good enough to be a main striker. Rashford is wasteful. Until we get a 30 goal a season striker and another who can get 20 we will go absolutely nowhere. We should have got Haaland, but Ole probably couldn't guarantee him starting, when actually he is miles better than anyone we have, even at his age.

Swearing Budgie

I like the look of Telles though...

Well, not the actual *look* of him. Seems a decent player.

Hoof the ball

I'll go on record and say that AWB was a poor scouting choice and a poor recruiting choice. His defensive strengths sometimes vindicate the purchase, but in the 70% of games when we're on the ball versus deep teams he's next to useless. You can't tell me that options B, C or D could be worse. No way. Not going forward, anyway.

TheGame

We're playing the worst team in the league at home. We have seen these performances before already, but let's bury our heads in the sand. Had WBA got the pen and scored it, out goose would have been cooked because we can't break down park the bus teams
The same team Spurs couldn’t break down last game week? We were poor but we should have finished the chances we had. There is a overreaction to the result.

soapythecat

7 shots on target vs 2
645 passes vs 375
84% passing accuracy

If you only see the result and think "well, another lucky win because of the penalty" then what is the point in watching the game?
You didn’t watch the game, did you?
If we rock up in Southampton next weekend and play like that, we will get turned inside out. We were really poor today.

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
Its hurting watching United these days. Consistently inconsistent.

Møllemanden

Things are not looking as bad as some people say. Yes, it would be nice to thrash WBA by five goals to nil. But we're not that far off in the league.

It's clear to everyone who has eyes, that this is not a team ready to play for major honours. We got a result today, and need to look forward now.

In attack, there are sequences that looks very promising. And some areas that need great improvement. Today, for instance, there was no action on the right wing whatsoever. Mata and Wan-B offer no threat at all. That doesn't help Tony M in attack. However, he needs to work on his attitude. What a poor performance again today.

In defense there where a few lapses of concentration, but generally speaking United controlled the game.

Let's move on and be happy that the minimum requirement today was achieved.

Matst1

7 shots on target vs 2
645 passes vs 375
84% passing accuracy

Post of the evening. But you cant please some of the so called fans on here. They buy in to what the media say, they're letting them win by behaving the way they do. its really pathetic.

Danillaco

Great to get a win at home.

Should have easily been 4 goals.

Ole doesn't seem to have been able to get Martial and Rashford to learn from him in regards to movement. Unlike many others I actually though Martial was very important in the build up of the majority of our chances.

The win really was the most important thing today.
This.
We were at maximum average, still Martial should've had at least one and Rashford another.
We won. Winning the game at hand can be two points from the top, even with our abysmal form.

Imagine what we could do with a truly first class manager.

van Nistelrooy

Daylight robbery.

WBA have a stonewall penalty correctly awarded then rescinded.

United receive a fortunate penalty for 'handball' despite a defintie foul to WBA in the build-up.

Can't enjoy winning 3 points that way.

Josep Dowling

Exactly. Incredible luck not to concede a penalty and then win yet another win by one. You can’t keep winning games this way. We are playing crap and can’t break teams down.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
Terrible again. So lucky to get 3 points.

We're a nothing team now, it's a long way back from us. We'll never be bad enough to get Ole sacked with the strong squad we have and individual quality in attack, but we'll never be good enough under Ole to be taken seriously. We're stuck in a strange spot these days.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
You didn’t watch the game, did you?
If we rock up in Southampton next weekend and play like that, we will get turned inside out. We were really poor today.
I don't think you got my point. We've had a few very good chances to score. Martial and Rashford finishing was shocking, what is a worry. I just don't understand why people are so worried with the penalties while we should've scored a few goals from open play.

Not worried at all.

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
I'm not sure the need to have 2 defensive players against a team who hardly score. If Ole can't trust his defenders then they should be dropped.

Devil may care

I think we spent the Sancho money on VAR, hell of a signing. That performance was so inexplicably flat, I just don't get why we were so apathetic, I saw Bruno got MOTM but I found it hard to seperate any of the mediocre performances, it was like the team drug each other down.

JohnnyKills

I'll go on record and say that AWB was a poor scouting choice and a poor recruiting choice. His defensive strengths sometimes vindicate the purchase, but in the 70% of games when we're on the ball versus deep teams he's next to useless. You can't tell me that options B, C or D could be worse. No way. Not going forward, anyway.
Agree. Seems we've bought the one young English RB who can't attack.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
I don't think you got my point. We've had a few very good chances to score. Martial and Rashford finishing was shocking, what is a worry. I just don't understand why people are so worried with the penalties while we should've scored a few goals from open play.

Not worried at all.
You're presuming that those two won't continue missing these chances.

Forevergiggs1

Supports
United
Jesus that was an ugly win. We are a strange team. I can not comprehend what is going on here.
It's not hard to work out what's going on. Good players managed by someone who never is and never will be a United quality manager and these are the sort of performances we'll keep seeing until he's finally shown the door.

Wilt

What about games not in the league? So fed up of all the sensational stats. The media will cling on to another stat now we won at home
3 points, but felt like a loss. Starting to think we were better under Moyes ....and I’m not joking!

Intheflatfield

Supports
The mighty Red Devils
By the end of this weekend we could be 7pts from top. Incredible! The league is wide open this season judging by how things are panning out so far.

However, I have no confidence in Ole for us to mount a serious title challenge. The performances, tactics and substitutions do not demonstrate anything to the contrary. I'm still Ole out I'm afraid.

Pleased we won and got the much needed home win (without fans) and 3 valuable points.

Last edited:

Smores

Not worried at all.
Easy to justify a lack of scoring when you make up imaginary goals i suppose.

Keepers make saves, strikers miss chances. Not every shot goes in.

Wilt

Get your point but these lot beat us under Moyes at OT. Convincingly as well!!!
Too long ago to remember, but despite losing I’d be surprised if we played so poorly

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
7 shots on target vs 2
645 passes vs 375
84% passing accuracy

We should just watch the score and stats at the end. What's the point wasting 2 hrs time, watching the actual game then?

yamo123x

Message is the same, Ole out. Needed 3 points, but another awful and draining performance that offers no confidence. The players look done with these tactics. No desire, no passion, no vision, no ambition, i could go on. Ole stands on the sides and looks clueless. Why did it take 80 mins to bring DVB on? How did Matic play 90? Why did Martial jog around for 90 mins? We played a double pivot against a relegation team, zero ambition, ole playing it safe to save his job. His benchmark is Lampard, arteta and Mourinho, and he started before all of them. Yet, he has no style, no vision and we play just as bad as before.
Good post cant argue with that.
Some of those players strolled about yet look untouchable, the body language of rashford martial, pogba in particular is not good week in weel out, it could just be their massive egos, but they seem to be sulking and lacking expression and motivation in their play.

A poor performance attacking wise, so many poor inexplicable passes..and as ive said so many times i just dont see what ole's vision/style of play is and the players are so inconsistent.

Monkey bus

Thought we broke them down ok today. WBA didn’t come to sit back. We had 4 good chances. Poor finishing let us down.

Got to be looking seriously at Cavani getting a start. Martial looked better on the left.

If Bruno gets injured we‘re fecked though.

Player Ratings

5.7 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 227 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • West Brom win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 32% Man Utd 3:0 West Brom
  • 23% Man Utd 2:0 West Brom