PL W FA Premier League

Manchester United 1:0 West Bromwich Albion

Post-match discussion

Sat, 21 November 2020

edgecutter

The same team Spurs couldn’t break down last game week? We were poor but we should have finished the chances we had. There is a overreaction to the result.
It isn't. We have been consistently inconsistent and we got away with one just like the Brighton game.

We shouldn't be focusing on other teams results. Just because spurs struggled against them doesn't mean we should. Besides spurs have had some great performances in the league this year, which is something we can't even point to.

stu_1992

Wasn't pretty but we got it done I suppose. Nice to finally get the first league win of the season at home on the board. Into the top half of the league and looking a lot healthier overall on that front.

On the West Brom penalty situation, as that's the only real interesting point to discuss, not sure why people we got away with murder there? Like would I have been annoyed if it was awarded to them? No. But it's not clear cut. One angle I saw made me think Bruno got a touch on it. Which isn't insignificant yet people seem to be dismissing this? The touch that Bruno gets on yer man's shin in no way is enough to knock him over like that. And while that doesn't mean anything on its own, if he did get a touch on the ball as well then its no penalty for me.

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
I don't get it.

Not much has changed personnel wise compared to the end of last year but we look completely bereft of ideas or cohesion.

Zlatans Knee

I'll go on record and say that AWB was a poor scouting choice and a poor recruiting choice. His defensive strengths sometimes vindicate the purchase, but in the 70% of games when we're on the ball versus deep teams he's next to useless. You can't tell me that options B, C or D could be worse. No way. Not going forward, anyway.
Lamptey at Brighton is miles better. I honestly think that Williams would be better as well.

oz insomniac

Got up early to watch the game, nothing much changes under Ole.

Martial is not a 9, work rate off the ball is terrible and is not a striker in the true sense. Rashford‘s ball control remains an issue and without space torun at opponents, his effectiveness declines.

Fred seems to do his job 100%, uses the middle of the field well, and passes forward Looking for opportunities, very valuable,

AWB looks more and more like a Valencia, struggles to go forward and without a RW it is a problem

Matic and Mata are both classy players who provide moments of real skill, but their lack of pace is exposed time and again in the Premier League, Van Der Beek come on down.

a win is a win, but a terribly mundane performance, and the half time review by Owen and Sheridan really hit the spot. Boring, predictable, coaching an issue, and playing without a true goal scorer leading the line, and looking scared to go on the front foot.

A mid table side despite the players potential, is it too harsh to suggest that coaching lacks that something that turns players into a team.

always_hoping

The same team Spurs couldn’t break down last game week? We were poor but we should have finished the chances we had. There is a overreaction to the result.
Yes top of the table Spurs beat West Brom 1-0 with the winner coming in the 89th minute. Not scoring more goals is what disappointed me the most tonight, on another night United could easily have scored 3 or 4 goals.

Majima

Supports
Ralf Rangnick.
I don't get it.

Not much has changed personnel wise compared to the end of last year but we look completely bereft of ideas or cohesion.
The players are bored to tears, and are losing the will to live under Ole.

DeGea

Hang on, are we actually above City!? Just looked at the table. I thought we were having a terrible season?

Longshanks

Average performance, still should of won comfortably, guilty of overpaying and poor finishing and decision making in the final third, but clean sheet and looked comfortable defensively is a bonus and we had decent control of the midfield.

On the penalties think VAR got them spot on in all fairness, bruno wins ball and frankly it wasnt any significant contact with the player, just because there is contact does not automatically mean it's a penalty. Same with martial one in first half yes he has had his shirt pulled slightly but not enough to make him go down. And the handball was blatant, turning away from the ball putting his hand up at the side of his body and it actually hit the palm of his hand.

Need to perform better in the coming weeks, wouldn't mind seeing cavani start flanked by martial and rashford.

TheGame

It isn't. We have been consistently inconsistent and we got away with one just like the Brighton game.

We shouldn't be focusing on other teams results. Just because spurs struggled against them doesn't mean we should. Besides spurs have had some great performances in the league this year, which is something we can't even point to.
I agree on the inconsistency. We are however 7 points off the top with a game in hand so hopefully can close the gap and keep on moving up.

brzez

Can I be a little bit controversial and think that the performance was very good considering that the players just returned from international fixtures and traveled over the whole wide world, meanwhile WBA probably had most of their squad on British soil.

I mean we had some very good chances that warranted a xG of 2.43. We had 17 shots and a lot of goals were saved by hallelujah blocks and some world class saves. And I mean come on, why does Rashford scoop that shot? A scuff that even a Sunday league player makes 2-0. He scores that and we go on and score one or two more and everybody would talk about the greatest performance of all time. :p It was an edgy win but sometimes that happens. But still, the score line weren’t as close as

Yes, fair play to West Bromwich, they dug deep and threw everything they had in terms of defensive work. They outworked us in terms of wanting the three points. But in my opinion, our forwards let us down and, its been mentioned and it has to be said. We were lucky with the referees decisions and yes, probable decisions that got us the win. We go down 0-1 and we’re getting a draw at most. But it happened and people can whinge however they want. But we got bigger problems in the club and that is the fact that we’re giving out £550-600k per week for Rashford and Martial that needs to play better in these fixtures. On their day, they are one of the most talented attacking outlets in the league but I’m sorry to say that they’re not good enough to be in a starting eleven that want to win leagues. Grealish on that left wing and these teams are getting spanked. A forward with better movement off the ball and these teams are definitely getting spanked. Cavani on and he gave them a lot of problems... Rashford and Martial in a club that aspires to win the league, how the mighty have fallen.

I think Telles performed very well, along with the rest of the back line. I think Matic and Fred played fairly well but as a pairing today I think they left too much space. Cavani did great and Bruno Fernandes is a great player for us, a lot of neat passes that should and could’ve created more problems for WBA but Rashford, Martial and Mata weren’t on the same wavelength. 3 pts so I won’t complain much more. I hope there’s some rotation on Tuesday and a better score line.

Robertd0803

Will take the win even if it wasnt pretty although if Johnstone wasnt having one of those games we would scored a hatful.

Not buying the whole drama over the penalties, West Broms wasnt and ours was. Simple.

AndyMUFC

I’ll obviously take it but we cannot keep playing like that. Pure and simple. We got away with it today with another penalty but our lack of intensity and cohesion is there for everyone to see.

Onto Wednesday.

theklr

Bad finishing/good keeping made the difference. If Martial and Rashford would be more on their game it would be a nice 3-0.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
To be honest I will take the 3 points all day given that performance is exactly what I was expecting as we’ve been diabolical at home all season, so at least now we’ve got the first win under the belt so maybe things will improve. We’ll go and lose our next away game now though.

giggslover

De Gea - 5 solid
Wan Bissaka - 7
Lindelof - 6
Maguire - 3 positioning was dreadful tonight, plus a few times where I was biting my nails due to his lack of pace, poor passing choices (Bruno told him one time how he made the wrong decision to pass to him when he had a defender right on him)
Telles - 4 looks to me like hes going to be a "...great going forward but meh as a defender..." type player
Fred - 3 never will be a great player as his lack of a right foot is just brutal sometimes. Needs to be more clinical with passes, always this side to side nonsense, very rarely gives us a through pass that creates trouble for opposition. Hes supposed to be our stabilizer in the middle, was anything but.
Juan Mata - 4 great to have him on when we try to be a one touch ticky tacky team, but truthfully should not be out there more than a half and best used as a sub in the last 1/2 hour of games
Matic - 4 both he and Mata looked just as they should - great in first 1/2 hr, dreadful afterward. Have continually said hes growing older by the minute
Martial - 5 agree that he gave us a good outlet, held the ball well but didn't give us any spectacular moments. Thought his movement wasnt that bad, just that the service wasn't that great passes to space where he was running into were too wayward.
Rashford 5
Cavani - 6 getting more comfortable with him every time I see him on the pitch. Seemed to at least be on the same page as Bruno, saw some runs for passes that others would probably not see.

Van de Beek N/A
Mctominay N/A

Finally I am going to give team slack for weather. Don't know why its such a crime to use weather as a reason for not playing well, we've had horrible weather for at least the last 4 games. As a player, I think your passes will go more wayward, you lose energy much quicker, and ball is just heavier.

Cpt Negative

Not sure why there is a massive over reaction here.

Controlled the game, never really looked in danger of conceding and their keeper had a worldy

Neo_Mufc

I was just glad to see the whistle blow and us walk away with 3 points. That performance is nothing new and we can't keep this up.

Any other team would have sent us packing.

MZX7

@Vato @Varun @moses @Hectic @Solius
Martial needs a solid kick up his rear. Pathetic energy levels for an unused sub in the last International. Pathetic body language and attitude. Cavani showed him up covering more ground than him in less time.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
Easy to justify a lack of scoring when you make up imaginary goals i suppose.

Keepers make saves, strikers miss chances. Not every shot goes in.
Even easier to say "we've been lucky to win because we got the penalty".

We win that game in 9/10 parallel universes. Do you think we've been shit because Martial and Rashford couldn't finish or because creating 3 easy chances is not enough?

meamth

De Gea - 5 solid
Wan Bissaka - 7
Lindelof - 6
Maguire - 3 positioning was dreadful tonight, plus a few times where I was biting my nails due to his lack of pace, poor passing choices (Bruno told him one time how he made the wrong decision to pass to him when he had a defender right on him)
Telles - 4 looks to me like hes going to be a "...great going forward but meh as a defender..." type player
Fred - 3 never will be a great player as his lack of a right foot is just brutal sometimes. Needs to be more clinical with passes, always this side to side nonsense, very rarely gives us a through pass that creates trouble for opposition. Hes supposed to be our stabilizer in the middle, was anything but.
Juan Mata - 4 great to have him on when we try to be a one touch ticky tacky team, but truthfully should not be out there more than a half and best used as a sub in the last 1/2 hour of games
Matic - 4 both he and Mata looked just as they should - great in first 1/2 hr, dreadful afterward. Have continually said hes growing older by the minute
Martial - 5 agree that he gave us a good outlet, held the ball well but didn't give us any spectacular moments. Thought his movement wasnt that bad, just that the service wasn't that great passes to space where he was running into were too wayward.
Rashford 5
Cavani - 6 getting more comfortable with him every time I see him on the pitch. Seemed to at least be on the same page as Bruno, saw some runs for passes that others would probably not see.

Van de Beek N/A
Mctominay N/A

Finally I am going to give team slack for weather. Don't know why its such a crime to use weather as a reason for not playing well, we've had horrible weather for at least the last 4 games. As a player, I think your passes will go more wayward, you lose energy much quicker, and ball is just heavier.
Arsenal Fan TV level of ratings. Good job.

edgecutter

I agree on the inconsistency. We are however 7 points off the top with a game in hand so hopefully can close the gap and keep on moving up.
7 points off after 8 games. The way we are playing it will be 14 after 16 games.

Jibbs

Seriously bad performance... I don't know what secrets of Woodward Ole is keeping to retain his job.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Didn't watch the match so how did we play or does the scoreline tell the whole story ?

DemonOfTheFall

I don't know what it is at the moment, and I don't know if any one else has noticed this, but there just seems to be a weird unhappiness about the team right now, I can't put my finger on it.
Even when we're playing well like in the Leipzig or Everton games, the players just seemed really down out there, it's very weird. Is it just me that thinks this?

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
I lost track after we scored that pen. Pretty listless performance. Lucky that the ref made a mistake in unrewarding their pen.

Amadaeus

Pochémon Fan Club Chairman
It's not hard to work out what's going on. Good players managed by someone who never is and never will be a United quality manager and these are the sort of performances we'll keep seeing until he's finally shown the door.
Yea, but even a half decent manager should be able to put out a better performance. I believe our coaching philosophy is so bad and only a progressive forward thinking manager can fix this. Even though Jose isn't a progressive manager, we still won trophies. Ole isn't a progressive manager and I m not sure that he has the capacity to win trophy like Jose.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
Didn't watch the match so how did we play or does the scoreline tell the whole story ?
Yes pretty much, apart from the standard-these-days PL penalty issues. We score early we win 4-0. We dont, we scrape a victory. Youve seen this game before a few dozen times.

bsCallout

We're playing the worst team in the league at home. We have seen these performances before already, but let's bury our heads in the sand. Had WBA got the pen and scored it, out goose would have been cooked because we can't break down park the bus teams
But we did break them down, multiple times, we just didnt convert.

patch1

Think your self lucky you are not paying to watch this poor excuse for football.
2 years in charge and still no idea what he is doing.His tactics are shambolic ,
he just does not get the players to perform.

Snoooked

Not sure why there is a massive over reaction here.

Controlled the game, never really looked in danger of conceding and their keeper had a worldy
What about their penalty, the De Gea leg save and the woodwork?

manunited1919

What did I just watch? It doesn’t feel like we deserved absolutely anything from that game. My feelings after watching that game are similar to when we actually lose a game. F**k the 3 points. The way we are playing we won’t challenge for anything, not even top four trophy.

Player Ratings

5.7 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 227 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • West Brom win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 32% Man Utd 3:0 West Brom
  • 23% Man Utd 2:0 West Brom