PL W FA Premier League

Manchester United 1:0 West Bromwich Albion

Post-match discussion

Sat, 21 November 2020

Feed Me

I'm hungry
We have done that, just in streaks.
There are too many sides around Europe playing like shit with this schdule to put it down to luck. If they are unlucky then why aren't we?
I get where you are coming from. I think other sides are unlucky because they’ve proven to be consistently good. Liverpool are struggling, relatively, at the minute but have plenty of credit in the bank. It is the same reason City get cut slack.

Pandemic or not, the truth is that this mediocrity from United is more of the same dross. Once life is back to normal, there will be other excuses for why we win one week and lose the next.

Asger

1st home win this season in PL..yay! But for the love of god, can anyone see us achieving anything with Ole in charge! A championship level manager in charge of one of the biggest clubs in world football...and his team plays like one.
Just look at our starting team, its just says = midtable players!!! Last right winger United bought was Valencia 11 years ago, Martial and Rashford both squad players.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
West Brom, one of the worst team in the League, could also have two goals, and potentially a penalty.
And that's against United, who had (bar McTom and maybe Shaw) full team. At home.

But yeh.. stats.
One good chance from Townsend, what else? A wonder strike from out of the box, that will beat every goalkeeper but goes in 1 out of 5 games?

You're not listening to me. If you say "they had one potential penalty", I say: we had at least 2 fantastic chances (Martial early on and Rashford from a few yards, both created by Bruno), two very good chances (Martial header and Maguire from the box after corner) and Rashford had a decent chance from range. That's all from the top of my head, maybe I've missed something for WBA. But we were by far the better team.

Zlatans Knee

In the next game, move Martial to the left and start Cavani on top. Martial isn't a striker to lead the lines. 90 mins and he got like 3-4 shots? I think Cavani had about the same attempt in 30 mins. We don't need a lazy player leading leading the lines. Drop Mata for VDB and Matic for Pogba (Fred to stay back and protect the back 4). Let's go at team from the get go instead of struggling to break them down. We either drop Martial or Rushford. Make a statement Ole!!! Stop trying to prove to the fans that you have a idea how to win by sticking to your principles.
I am not saying that Martial was great, but comparing the number of shots that he had with. Cavani is just crazy. We were 1-0 up when Cavani came on and WBA had to chase the game which always means that the game opens up. It wasn’t as if Cavani’s shots were all that good either.

buckooo1978

Cavani in his brief moments looks like a proper 9

Martial needs to learn from him in terms of movement and guile up there.

We need much more from most of the squad.

Cavani should start the next game. He's ready

George the Cat

One good chance from Townsend, what else? A wonder strike from out of the box, that will beat every goalkeeper but goes in 1 out of 5 games?

You're not listening to me. If you say "they had one potential penalty", I say: we had at least 2 fantastic chances (Martial early on and Rashford from a few yards, both created by Bruno), two very good chances (Martial header and Maguire from the box after corner) and Rashford had a decent chance from range. That's all from the top of my head, maybe I've missed something for WBA. But we were by far the better team.
Agreed, enough of the negativity. I only watched last half hour and if it wasn’t for their goalie making some top saves we’d have scored at least a couple. As for folks posting that Rashford and Martial are squad players, you are on a wum or not United.

Irrational.

We were the better team but toiled and made it a lot harder than it should have been.

Add this to a WBA team who were suddenly full of running and an ex-United keeper in supreme inspirational form determined to prove a point then you can see why we struggled. They’ll go back to shit and probably lose their next game.

Without SJ in their goal and even if they had taken their chances, it’d have ended 4 or 5-2.

Still not good enough from us though and players like Martial and Rashford need to pull their fingers out and be more clinical.

dove

So much moaning... Lads have done very well to comfortably beat one of the best teams in the league. I think this win finally puts all the question marks around Ole's ability as a coach to bed. The future is bright.

Footy van de Geek

We were very average for the majority of the game. Bruno continues to save Ole time and time again. He wasn't even at his best yesterday, but he was at the heart of anything good we did.

WBA had a good game plan. They didn't afford us much space in behind, but still carried a threat in attack during transitions. Pereira was a little wasteful with some of his passing. Gallagher was brilliant for them, both on and off the ball.

Fred has a strange game. He was very busy. At times they bypassed him with ease, and the ref ignored a few fouls on him. This angered him. You could see him complaining to the ref. He then got stuck in as a result. A mixed bag.

Martial and Rashford missed our 2 best chances of the match. Good saves from Johnstone, but they made it easy for him. De Gea made a good save with his foot and Robinson was denied a great solo effort by the woodwork. We had more chances, but WBA created some decent chances too. We just about shaded it thanks to Bruno's creativity.

Disappointing performance overall. WBA at home was one of our easiest games on paper between yesterday and the rest of 2020. So vital to get the 3 points. But only further proved why I don't rate Ole very highly. He got lucky.

Pavl3n

Can't believe I was looking forward to this pile of shite through the entire international break.
Can't Martial smash one ball in the net or he has to side foot everything? On the bright side - during the first half I saw him making a run!!! He made a run and he stayed on his feet, he didn't go down after the slightest of touches. But then he crumbled on the pitch like a sack of rotten potatoes when he tried to get aa pen. What a frustrating player.
Rashford proving once again he's not a goalscorer. 1 on 1 with the keeper "I'll just nonchalantly try to float this ball past his left shoulder. Oh... he moves..."
And please get rid of Mata. He might be skilled, but even I'll beat him for pace and power.

Dr Fink

An awful game again. Why do Cavani and Van de Beek look sharp as f*ck when they come on and the team perks up? Maybe our tactica lacking manager should start them? Hint, hint. Why play two holding midfielders at home. Dreadful.

Strelok

Pogba contributed nothing last night.
No I don't think so, he contributed a lot in his position. I'm really glad finally Ole seems to agree with the majority of the caf.

Shite football, worse than we ever were under Moyes or LvG.
You didn't watch us under Moyes or LVG I guess. The infamous 8x crosses and the so called United tiki taka. The scoreline would be much better if our strikers didn't forget their shooting boots and Johnstone didn't suddenly turn into prime DDG.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Not a good performance but we were still comfortably the better team. Obvious but we have to take more of our chances early on in these games.

I didn't expect free flowing football many here appeared to, straight after an international break with 1/2 days training.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Not a good performance but we were still comfortably the better team. Obvious but we have to take more of our chances early on in these games.

I didn't expect free flowing football many here appeared to, straight after an international break with 1/2 days training.
I agree with these comments but I was disappointed in how passive Ole was with his subs. I also don't get why Van de Beek came on at right wing, not necessary against a team who had little going on in the middle of the park.

norm87cro

Just saw the penalty and its ridicilous. This poxy rule that favours the tanker over the keeper needs to stop. How is a keeper supose to make a save on such a big goal? It's not futsal ffs. And let's not forget we were on the wrong side of that rule against Crystal Palace this season when Ddg made a similar save to the Wba keeper. Happy we won though.

patch1

Good job there were no fans to watch this rubbish if the glaziers and Woodward are happy with these performances ,then we are in for long season of disappointment.Ole has had 2 years now and we are going backwards.Bottom of the league side and we are playing has though they are a world beating side.
No ambition and no entertaining football god help us.

Ceteris

And when a player comments that its a breath of fresh air to join up with international team we go crazy. Everything stinks around the club, if it was my work place I'd want you a break too

Matt6677

Refusing to watch this side until Ole goes and Mr. Poch comes in

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
17 shots, 7 on target, 64% possession vs 7 shots, 2 on target, 36% possession. That’s the stats of United vs West Brom 1-0.

19 shots, 5 on target, 59% possession vs 12 shots, 2 on target, 41% possession. That’s the stats of Spurs vs West Brom 1-0.

West Brom is a poor team but they can hold their own when playing against the top team. Ironically, Spurs goal came from Johnstone blunder in 88th min which something he didn’t do yesterday.

It wasn’t a pleasing victory but we had 3 points against team that sits deep. I think my only concern in this is how poor our front three Rashford, Martial & Mata. Mata really created nothing in his last three games while Martial isn’t clinical this season. Better players in attack could make the difference.

Maticmaker

Once more at OT we make hard work of seeing off a team we should be beating 3-0/4-0. Lots of luck with VAR, some terrible passing, mainly Fred, lost count of how many times he got caught in possession, but in fairness he wasn't the only one. The fact that Bruno was our best player, but by his own standards he had a poor game, tells you everything. At times United looked like a group of players with the only thing in common was they were wearing the same kit!
Were Rashford and Martial both 'sulking' the expressions on their faces would suggest they were not happy bunny's? Also the way they ran in predictable patterns all through the game, is that the players decisions, or are they told to play like that? I cannot remember how often they actually passed to each other, never mind looking for each others runs... something wrong there perhaps.
It seems every time the players cross the line on to the pitch at OT, somebody somewhere flicks a switch and they all go into some dream mode, lose confidence and concentration... its very perplexing!

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
Mata and Matic shouldnt start together. Ole fecked up again with his lineup selection. Shouldn't have started Rashford and Martial as well. Could have benched them and start James, VDB, Cavani and McTom.

Substitutions were also late and usual like clueless. Fred was running his socks off to cover for Matic as well. Matic and Mata were truly passengers.

Our finishing was bad and it was very apparent. As many have mentioned there were no links between the top and mid.
And yet "passenger" or not Mata was the one who created the penalty for our only goal.... how pathetic for Rashford and especially Martial. Rashy looked like he wasnt yet recovered from the shoulder injury, and Cavani should have started. This is exactly why we got Cavani so our young attackers can rest when needed.

I can never understands why Ole would not atart DvB in a game like this. He would have provided much much more than Fred or could have let Bruno rest against a bottom-of-the-league team.

But even more disturbing is what happens when DvB is on the field. He positions and opens up better than most of our team (Ajax skills, I assume) and when he gets in position he gesticulates to his team mates to attract their attention and get a pass, but over and over again they would rather make a feckimg backwards pass to Matic or Lindelof than forward pass to DvB in a position with clear attacking potential. It's quite disgusting to watch and I would tear them a second one, for this shit, if I were Ole or any of them from the coaching staff.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Why is this worse at home than the last one ? I mean the football and results weren't great at OT but this is so obviously worse. What's the explanation ?

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
Fed up of Oles garbage statements and media dialogue now. It’s like a treacle and vomit cocktail. I still like old pictures of him sliding on his knees after scoring a goal but I’m sick of seeing him talking and completely fed up of pretty much everything that comes out of his mouth now. I’ve lost faith.

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
Cavani in his brief moments looks like a proper 9

Martial needs to learn from him in terms of movement and guile up there.

We need much more from most of the squad.

Cavani should start the next game. He's ready
I don’t think you can learn some things. You’re right though, Cavani, even at his age is a proper 9 and the difference between him and Martial is stark.

Player Ratings

5.7 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 227 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • West Brom win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 32% Man Utd 3:0 West Brom
  • 23% Man Utd 2:0 West Brom