PL D FA Premier League

West Ham United 0:0 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Thu, 10 May 2018

Skolden

What worries me is if he decides to get rid of Rashford. He was on top form early in the season, despite generally being used as a substitute. Then Mourinho got Sanchez, who hasn't gelled properly despite him trying very hard, and that has pushed Rashford down the pecking order. As a result Rashford's form has dropped which means he may well now not get in the England squad despite him being better than many other forward players.

Because of the money he spent on Sanchez and Lukaku, he is obliged to play them whenever they are fit. That means opportunities for players like Rashford and Martial are limited and their form therefore suffered. Lukaku has done well but Rashford or Martial would have done better than they have if they had been given the playing time their early season form indicated they should get.

Mata is another player who has been given the bum's rush by Mourinho. Despite him being smaller I would choose him before Matic nearly every time. He is intelligent and works hard, and we already have a tall midfielder in Pogba. I can see Mourinho getting rid of Mata which I believe would be a mistake.

Rashford would probably want to go to a team with a manager that would appreciate his talents, but would stay if we got rid of Mourinho. For me it's clear, if there is a choice between Rashford or Mourinho then keep Rashford and get rid of the bore-meister asap.

Oh why didn't we make a serious attempt to get Guardiola when we were going through a series of second and third rate managers? Even Klopp would have made a decent second choice. I can't believe I prefer City's and Liverpool's managers to United's. At the time of our manager kerfuffle, those were the two names I wanted us to go for but they have ended up at our two very worst opponents. This was made even worse when the speculation about us getting Mourinho started. I didn't want him at all and I have been proved right: Despite him supposedly being able to attract the big names he still doesn't understand the United ethos of trying to win with style.

Rashford, please stay. Mata, please stay. Mourinho, in the name of God, go now!
Uhm are you saying that Mata should be our DM or place Pogba as a DM so Mata can play?

You cant compare Mata with Matic lol

green demon

Caf Nostradamous 2008
Near to nowhere, in the suburbs of Amnesia.
Skolden: Uhm are you saying that Mata should be our DM or place Pogba as a DM so Mata can play?

Neither. The problem is we are too defensive, Mata is more of an attacking midfielder and creates things for the strikers. We already have some decent centre-backs so a DM is not as vital as the more progressive midfielders can cover when we are under attack; although I believe Herrera could do it and I'm sure Pogba is good enough to defend and attack as required. And with a more attacking line-up the opposition will be less able to attack us in number as they will need to defend more.

Matic to me has been good in parts but rarely has he helped set anythings up, unlike Mata who is an intelligent, creative player. I don't believe they are like for like, clearly, but we would be better to have a more attacking mentality.

dogwithabone

The stand out thing for me last night was that when we had the ball it was so slow and boring yet when West Ham got hold of it they attacked at real speed and if I’d been a neutral that would have been the only times I’d have got out of my seat.

gajender

Skolden: Uhm are you saying that Mata should be our DM or place Pogba as a DM so Mata can play?

Neither. The problem is we are too defensive, Mata is more of an attacking midfielder and creates things for the strikers. We already have some decent centre-backs so a DM is not as vital as the more progressive midfielders can cover when we are under attack; although I believe Herrera could do it and I'm sure Pogba is good enough to defend and attack as required. And with a more attacking line-up the opposition will be less able to attack us in number as they will need to defend more.

Matic to me has been good in parts but rarely has he helped set anythings up, unlike Mata who is an intelligent, creative player. I don't believe they are like for like, clearly, but we would be better to have a more attacking mentality.
Mata is as average as they come , he creates nothing even when he was good he wasn't much of creator either and our defense is decent because we play so conservatively it would crumble if play with out designated Dm and If played with players like Herrera and Mata together regularly who are decent but ultimately not good enough we would have even struggled to make top 4 this season.

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
Mata is as average as they come , he creates nothing even when he was good he wasn't much of creator either and our defense is decent because we play so conservatively it would crumble if play with out designated Dm and If played with players like Herrera and Mata together regularly who are decent but ultimately not good enough we would have even struggled to make top 4 this season.
Jaysus ... there has not yet been an emoji invented worthy of this comment but I find a grating of lemon rind does the job adequately, in a kind of average sort of way.

gajender

Jaysus ... there has not yet been an emoji invented worthy of this comment but I find a grating of lemon rind does the job adequately, in a kind of average sort of way.
Honestly you seriously believe Mata has been anything more than average this season and going forward we should persist with him and give even him even greater role to the detriment of the team it's that what you would like.

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
Honestly you seriously believe Mata has been anything more than average this season and going forward we should persist with him and give even him even greater role to the detriment of the team it's that what you would like.
Hi, nice to meet you, we haven't chatted before. I think Mata is a wonderful footballer, one of our finest. He fits well in a particular system, there have been games this year where he kept us ticking over. He is difficult to defend against, he reads the game well, and can pick a pass. I think he is integral to Jose's plans, perhaps not to play every game, and will be useful again next year. I have enjoyed seeing him play in 'real life', he does a lot off the ball. I think your total dismissal of his merits wasn't the wisest post in the world. But wishing you the best, chief, enjoy the summer.

Z1L3

Supports
Partizan Belgrade
You are the one who is deluding himself if you think that United have issues about money and Jose plays that kind of football only because he doesn't have the players to play attacking football. He is essentially the hand brake of the teams he manages attacking wise for the last few years. That became apparent for the first time when they lost the tie against Atletico Madrid at home in CL in his first season (13/14) on his return to Chelsea. And they could very well be the champions in the Premier League that season too if he didn't decide to give up on the league easily and try to elude from Liverpool and Man City especially when they managed to beat both of these teams home & away :houllier: No wonder the likes of Hazard criticised his game plan and didn't want to play that shit game on a regular basis.

The following season they won PL without any competition whatsoever where all the other teams were trying to get their shit together and rebuild (United with Van Gaal, Liverpool lost Suarez, Arsenal were Arsenal, City were far from consistent) but in Champions League they failed to make any impact again and losing the tie against a 10 men PSG at Stamford Bridge was the further proof of what was wrong about Jose's approach to the game in the last couple of years. 15/16 was a pure disaster for him and he got the United job in the summer of 2016. 2 years on, we have yet to see any change in his approach or any indication that he learned lessons from his mistakes in the last 8 years or so. Just take a look at how much Real has won in the last 5 years after he left and by playing attacking football and scoring for fun too :

May 2013 - - - - - - - - - - - - - Jose leaves Real Madrid with no Champions Leagues and only 1 La Liga, 1 Copa del Rey and 1 Spanish Super Cup in 3 Seasons (2010-2013)

2013/2014 - - - - - - - - - - - - - Champions League Winners

2013/2014 - - - - - - - - - - - - - Copa del Rey Winners

2014 - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - UEFA Super Cup Winners

2015/2016 - - - - - - - - - - - - - Champions League Winners

2016 - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - UEFA Super Cup Winners

2016/2017 - - - - - - - - - - - - - Champions League Winners

2016/2017 - - - - - - - - - - - - - La Liga Winners

2017 - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Spanish Super Cup Winners

2017 - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -- UEFA Super Cup Winners

2017/2018 - - - - - - - - - - - - - - They will probably win Champions League this season again
Why don't you go check what they won before they hired him. What an idiotic post!

wolvored

We were all spoilt by the SAF years. He is our legend and the greatest manager of all time.

What I mean is, why would Jose give Sanchez and Lingard a bollocking? Sanchez contuously pressed and tried to create, and Lingard was one of the only players to force Adrian into any saves, and to be fair had a couple of good shots.

For me, yesterday wasnt the issue. Last week at Brighton was unacceptable as was Huddersfield, West brom, Sevilla, among others. If we want to compete next year we cannot be complacent in those types of matches. That goes for players and manager. Everyone needs to improve.
Sanchez mainly has been a flop and is paid anything from £400,000-£600,000 depending on what paper you read. He has played virtually every match since he signed and scored 3 goals I think including a pen. He displaced Martial who was just hitting form, yet Martial gets bollocked after getting another chance after not playing regularly and not scoring against Brighton. Why hsnt Mourinho bollocked Sanchez for not scoring against West Ham? Double standards.

Fridge chutney

Sanchez mainly has been a flop and is paid anything from £400,000-£600,000 depending on what paper you read. He has played virtually every match since he signed and scored 3 goals I think including a pen. He displaced Martial who was just hitting form, yet Martial gets bollocked after getting another chance after not playing regularly and not scoring against Brighton. Why hsnt Mourinho bollocked Sanchez for not scoring against West Ham? Double standards.
He hasn't "mainly been a flop". He hasn't performed as expected yet but to label him a flop is pure hyperbole. He's been man of the match a few times also.

Martial has had little impact recently but fluctuating form is expected from a younger player.

Admit it, you don't know who Mourinho has and has not bollocked.

And if you think Sanchez is on £600k per week, there's no helping you.

wolvored

He hasn't "mainly been a flop". He hasn't performed as expected yet but to label him a flop is pure hyperbole. He's been man of the match a few times also.

Martial has had little impact recently but fluctuating form is expected from a younger player.

Admit it, you don't know who Mourinho has and has not bollocked.

And if you think Sanchez is on £600k per week, there's no helping you.
I said which paper you read. I have no idea how much he gets the same as you. He was bought in to score goals and compared to his performances for the other clubs he played for he has been a flop. Hes an experienced international, not a novice and Mourinho as well as the fans were expecting better. Lets hope he performs a lot better next season.

Acole9

Outstanding
It was a better game than Brighton but that wasn't hard to be fair. I liked the 3-5-2 and it suited us well for the match given the circumstances. Would've been nice to win but pleased we've got second place because we've been in that position for most of the season.

Janson

You think that our squad is capable of breaking EPL records? Because that's what it would've taken.
So, better than the team which contained Becks, Cole, Yorke, Giggs. Better than the team which had Ronaldo, Rooney, Tevez. And of course now, the MCFC team.
You seriously think that this squad, under a different manager would've beaten all the teams above?
Exactly.

Janson

That is the point. I doubt he just told the players "you are going to lose anyway so keep doing what you did in the first half".
:lol: He told them to lose just so he can say how right he was in not giving time to Rashford and Martial you know.

Fridge chutney

I said which paper you read. I have no idea how much he gets the same as you. He was bought in to score goals and compared to his performances for the other clubs he played for he has been a flop. Hes an experienced international, not a novice and Mourinho as well as the fans were expecting better. Lets hope he performs a lot better next season.
I guess it depends how you define a flop. He doesn't meet my flop criteria but then again I am naturally patient. But, like you I hope he improves next year. I think he will.

IppoKun

Supports
Benfica
You are the one who is deluding himself if you think that United have issues about money and Jose plays that kind of football only because he doesn't have the players to play attacking football. He is essentially the hand brake of the teams he manages attacking wise for the last few years. That became apparent for the first time when they lost the tie against Atletico Madrid at home in CL in his first season (13/14) on his return to Chelsea. And they could very well be the champions in the Premier League that season too if he didn't decide to give up on the league easily and try to elude from Liverpool and Man City especially when they managed to beat both of these teams home & away :houllier: No wonder the likes of Hazard criticised his game plan and didn't want to play that shit game on a regular basis.

The following season they won PL without any competition whatsoever where all the other teams were trying to get their shit together and rebuild (United with Van Gaal, Liverpool lost Suarez, Arsenal were Arsenal, City were far from consistent) but in Champions League they failed to make any impact again and losing the tie against a 10 men PSG at Stamford Bridge was the further proof of what was wrong about Jose's approach to the game in the last couple of years. 15/16 was a pure disaster for him and he got the United job in the summer of 2016. 2 years on, we have yet to see any change in his approach or any indication that he learned lessons from his mistakes in the last 8 years or so. Just take a look at how much Real has won in the last 5 years after he left and by playing attacking football and scoring for fun too :

May 2013 - - - - - - - - - - - - - Jose leaves Real Madrid with no Champions Leagues and only 1 La Liga, 1 Copa del Rey and 1 Spanish Super Cup in 3 Seasons (2010-2013)

2013/2014 - - - - - - - - - - - - - Champions League Winners

2013/2014 - - - - - - - - - - - - - Copa del Rey Winners

2014 - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - UEFA Super Cup Winners

2015/2016 - - - - - - - - - - - - - Champions League Winners

2016 - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - UEFA Super Cup Winners

2016/2017 - - - - - - - - - - - - - Champions League Winners

2016/2017 - - - - - - - - - - - - - La Liga Winners

2017 - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Spanish Super Cup Winners

2017 - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -- UEFA Super Cup Winners

2017/2018 - - - - - - - - - - - - - - They will probably win Champions League this season again
Your quote of Real Madrid is so dumb I'm not going to even explain how bad it is. Just go ask any Madrid fan about Mourinho and how grateful they are to him and the recovery he did to Madrid.

Reactions: Sultan

wolvored

I guess it depends how you define a flop. He doesn't meet my flop criteria but then again I am naturally patient. But, like you I hope he improves next year. I think he will.
For me, like you when we bought him I thought at last a true WC or as near as dammit player who would be ready from the off. I was expecting around 10 goals in all competitions and quite a few assists. I was expecting he would be the key to fast attacking football from the left and centre and the ability to open up tight defences. This hasnt happened and really we are no better than before he came, along with the astronomical wages he getting, thats why to me hes a flop.

Slysi17

That was boring as feck to watch. Glad I didn't get early up in the morning to watch it live from New Zealand. I honestly wonder if we actually work on the attack in training at all.

Player Ratings

5.6 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 209 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • West Ham win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 21% West Ham 0:2 Man Utd
  • 14% West Ham 1:1 Man Utd