PL W FA Premier League

Manchester United 2:1 West Ham United

Post-match discussion

Sat, 13 April 2019

Robertd0803

Think we were fortunate to get the 3 points (I like understatements) but we did and thats the main thing.

I never want to see Rojo at left back ever again though.

yamo123x

One of a number of abject performances I have seen from these players.

Like fergie ole should be ruthless and get rid of those who have neither the ability (rojo young mata matic lingard Valencia Darmian lukaku) nor the mentality ( Martial Sanchez Bailly )... changes like this are needed...

The fact that we have wrapped mctominay up in cotton wool for the Barca game shows how low things have got

Jeffthered

Not good at all. Yes, some players are knackered from too many games... (But many have not played too many games!)

Pogba is a leader in that team. Don't laugh. In terms of the fact that they ALL look to him. Did you see him talking to them after making it 2-1.

We have too many with a child-like mentality.

MrBest

Couldn't care less about the performance tbh, I've seen Arsenal, Spurs and Chelsea fluke wins all season and yet all I read on here is how crap we are, it was only a couple of weeks ago Chelsea were needed an offside goal to completely change a game that were massively second best in against sure to be relegated Cardiff

Only thing that matters is the 3 points
100% agree with you. If we get top 4 by dragging out victories it is all that matters. It will allow us to get better players in the summer. 4th or 3rd is the only thing that matters. We will not win the champions league, why bother when it is clearly exhausting our players (given they have below average fitness levels).

Camilo

Our team is shite people say.... Really?? We've a worse team than West Ham?! Because that's all that's on show on days like today.

We should be doing much, much better. Ole needs to get us moving forward quickly. This isn't good enough, and blaming Young for everything is just a pathetic cop out.

gerdm07

Thinks we should have kept Pereira
It was a good win because it was a win late in the season. Wins like that can get you top 4 or a title if you are in the hunt.

I don't think we win that match without Pogba. He WANTED the ball the last 25 minutes and he delivered with the pass to Rashford who flicked to Martial. He also covered a lot of ground in that match and showed quality throughout except for a few giveaways. I really hope people here quit saying they want him to go. He could also be instrumental in our being able to attract more talent.

I've said this many times and I hope he proves me wrong some day: Martial is a stupid player. How many times does he attempt a pass that gets easily intercepted and each time he looks confused why it happened. The 2nd PK was vintage Martial when most good wingers would have buried that for a goal. Here is what he did:

- Received the ball in stride and DID NOT dribble to his right to get in front of the defender and be more central to the goal
- He slowed his dribble to give the defender time to catch him
- His whole body language looked like someone who wanted a PK so he didn't have to attempt to score
- Besides all that he could have passed to Rashford for an easy goal

Why wasn't the 2nd PK a red card? Wasn't he the last defender?

Tomuś

Nani is crap, I tell you!
I've been hammered before and told I have a vendetta against him because I believe he's so average.
He isn't average. He is talented no doubt but lacks an ounce of intensity and consistency. So easy to dishearten and make a no mark. It's a puzzle after his first great season.

giggslover

Michael Antonio >> Paul Pogba

In fact I would take Antonio, Lanzini and Anderson over 75% of our players any day of the week.

And where was Arnautovic? If he was there we would have surely lost.

RedTillI'mDead

A Key Tool
Honeymoon period is over.
Honeymoon over for months! Looking more like that reflection period with arguments and discontent and wondering if it was ever the right move, but maybe some new furniture and a summer holiday could make things better!

big rons sovereign

We're horrid. Absolutely horrid.
Outplayed by Watford, Wolves and West Ham. Beaten by a Barca side who never got out of walking pace.
If Ashley Young isn't playing back passes to the opposition keeper then Dave is handing chances to their midfield.
I can honestly see us losing the next 4 in a row.
Horrid.

Coops73

We're horrid. Absolutely horrid.
Outplayed by Watford, Wolves and West Ham. Beaten by a Barca side who never got out of walking pace.
If Ashley Young isn't playing back passes to the opposition keeper then Dave is handing chances to their midfield.
I can honestly see us losing the next 4 in a row.
Horrid.
Alright sweetheart, calm down, there’s a life out there for you to live .

Imagine if you knew how it felt for old cnuts like myself back in the day when we were really shit. x

Coops73

Imagine if you knew how it felt for old cnuts like myself back in the day when we were really shit. x
You’re 41? Wow! Your memory is worse than mine.

big rons sovereign

I remember when we were bad alright, but for the last 4 games we've been shocking, today was like the worst of lvg and Jose together.
Having to rely on soft pens and dodgy offsides against West Ham at home is pathetic.
I don't expect anything from Barca or city but I wouldn't mind a result against Chelsea and Everton, I just can't see it happening in this form.

Last edited:

.Rossi

ever get that feeling of déjà vu?
Shite as always...

Ole's expressions said it all...
At one point, his face basically said, "Jesus, we are in trouble here! I should have said no!"

But yano...It was Mourinho's fault...It's now the players who are wrong...

DSG

Pogba played hard today, ran his ass all over the field. Fred had the one giveaway, but other than that was not bad. Dalot actually was a bit naive in his defending, but wasn’t bad overall.

Rojo was atrocious. He’s not a left back and should never play that position again. The goal was his fault.

DDG.... well, we shouldn’t be paying 500k a week for that poor distribution. Yes, he had a great save, but he gave up one as well.

I think Ole got his tactics wrong a bit. The attack was pretty strange. Lukaku ends up on the right wing, lumping balls into the box for Rashford and Martial. He feels compelled to play Lukaku, but he just doesn’t fit us.

AndyMUFC

It was a take the three points and run performance for sure. We're reverting back to earlier in the season, where we couldn't keep the ball or create anything from open play.

Hope Ole gets decent backing in the summer.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Shite as always...

Ole's expressions said it all...
At one point, his face basically said, "Jesus, we are in trouble here! I should have said no!"

But yano...It was Mourinho's fault...It's now the players who are wrong...
Mourinho had them picking up 26 points from 17 games. The players arent good enough to challenge for the title but are top 4 level. So yes, of course it was Mourinho fault because he threw everyone under the bus and made the situation 100x worse. Nobody was under any illusions or thought they should win the title.

Loublaze

ATLien

You’re 41? Wow! Your memory is worse than mine.
Although not as good as my tech type thing skills an’ that
Why are you quoting your own messages? This has to be the strangest thing ive seen on the Caf today :lol:

slir32

Just shows you Ole needs to be backed or he will fail. The squad is in desperate need of some quality.

Steerpike

Another poor performance and a very fortunate win. I really can't see how Pogba was considered to be our best player - he was as guilty as anyone else when it came to surrendering possession cheaply, but he does at least get some credit for converting the two penalties (thankfully without the stupid run up).

De Gea had a fair game, but must take a share of the blame for the West Ham equaliser. Lukaku showed plenty of energy up front, and was probably the best of our three front players (Lingard was poor, and Martial not much better). Rashford looked decent when he came on.

Rojo looked like a central defender being asked to play full back, and Dalot showed us that Ashley Young isn't the only right back we have that can't put in a decent cross.

The only players to emerge with much distinction were the central defenders, Jones and Smalling, who did their jobs well throughout despite the rest of the team making their life more difficult by giving the ball away with depressing regularity.

All in all, it was a bit dispiriting. Based on that performance, it looks likely that in three weeks time we'll be out of the Champions League and the top four will be a pipedream. Perhaps then Ole will give a few youngsters an opportunity, and that may well be the only thing we have to look forward to.

Infra-red

We are really quite bad and will drop a lot of points between now and the end of the season.

That being said, after so many bad results, it was nice to get a win.

moodyred

Young, Herrera and Matic were horrible. I didn't see them touch the ball at all.

Terrible. Terrible play. Why can't we play like the first few games under OGS?

Reddy Rederson

Young, Herrera and Matic were horrible. I didn't see them touch the ball at all.

Terrible. Terrible play. Why can't we play like the first few games under OGS?
That’s the million dollar question. We knew they can play well as a team. So why aren’t they? Are we to believe that it’s yet another manager issue? IMO it’s a personality issue. Some of these players only want to turn up when it suits them. Like giving Jose a showing up for example. Now some of them have regressed into what was said to be all down to Jose, which is clearly not the case since he’s not here to blame any more.

Needham

Honeymoon over for months! Looking more like that reflection period with arguments and discontent and wondering if it was ever the right move, but maybe some new furniture and a summer holiday could make things better!
Better still, have a child. Paper over the mile wide cracks with something as big as the universe itself, jailing yourselves together in a single cell for at least 18 years, by which time your options in all of life's regards will have shrunk and Liverpool have surpassed our total number of league titles.

Tony247

I am not too bothered about overall performance. This time of year regularly playing players drag themselves.

This time resilience is more important and flamboyance.

Good thing is Fred has found his feet so he can compensate for the form dropped elsewhere.

Alek M

Da manic one
Rashford gave us spark in second half
Fred had a Paul Scholes first half
Phil Jones bleeds red,again
Smalling with the beat through pass
De Gea is a Spiderman

I wish we lined up with Fred and McT and Lingard as attacking mid for Pogba

Can't stand Martial and his care less attitude

Why is Lukaku ao far behind the ball when played as a center forward in first half,will never know.

Alek M

Da manic one
Bunch of you are bit of muppets turning on the team. They will rise to the occasion when playing against Barca and we will beat City.

As a manager it is tough to motivate players for a trap game like this one when you have Barca ahead.

Month ago Fred was shite now he is God .

Ole is still experimenting with the squad and formation. I liked his approach today with Mata and Lingard Martial up front. They usually link up well . Lingard is just coming back into the squad, Mata and Martial have not played in ages.

We will be alright .

redshaw

The players when Ole came in played like they had nothing to lose. The pressure is on them again and they seem to struggle with the home fans expectation too.

Also I don't think the many contract rumblings have helped the unity that we had midseason. We also had Matic and Herrera playing well, once they got injured we've not been the same. If fit and flying they are the best fit for Pogba and the team. Ole has had to juggle around a lot of players trying to find something that works.

He come in and knew the best team instantly but that isn't available now and also Lukaku wasn't involved much but then did comeback with short run of goals to force his way back.

We saw today when Rashford came on as sub, we actually had our first good shot on goal with his run.

I hope Ole can be clear and concise as he was. We can't accommodate players, trying to keep ill-fitting parts happy, even if they cost a lot.

nainaisson

Rojo looked like a central defender being asked to play full back...
I've never been able to figure out why our last 3 managers have seen Rojo as a viable full-back option. I can't remember a game in which he wasn't awful in the position and wasn't responsible for us conceding at least one goal. What's wrong with Darmian? Darmian's awful going forward and occasionally the worst crosser of the ball I've ever seen, but his defending at left-back has always been better than Rojo's.

UnitedChampionsAgain

Commentator mentioned how poor West Ham had been at corners in recent matches. Well they totally outclassed us in this one. Never seen such pathetic defending. If Ole can't even sort that out...

Wolf8312

I think alot of people in an attempt to protect Ole, are throwing the team itself under the bus. This is the team, and a few summer signing's are not going to change that.

I think united fans themselves may well share some of the blame in the post ferguson era.

Fans who did nothing but win, and compete at the highest level, for many years, when things started going horribly wrong, instead of supporting the team properly, started to abuse it.

Read the match thread yesterday, and you'll see comments such as 'Mata can f+ck off' as well as countless others in a similar vein! Supporters who don't actually seem to even like their own players, or have any fondness, or loyalty towards them whatsoever, but just simply want to win (and therefore feel happy). The players can almost literally 'fu*k off' if that condition is not met!

Might well be the reason, the team seems to play so nervously in front of their own fans?

Social media, and sites like this, and youtube, is really not helping IMO.

Tell a child constantly that he's 'sh*it' and he will end up believing you. This is pretty much the same for anyone else, and footballers as well.

The whole negative, and toxic mentality starts with the fans, and bleeds down into the players IMO. It happens right across the board (I watched a very nervy liverpool match the other month in front of their own fans who were moaning and groaning every little mistake) these days, but is worse with united, due to years of inbred entitlement.

I honestly get the feeling that a big problem is that the players themselves do not enjoy playing at old trafford, and in front of their own fans. Afraid of making mistakes, they therefore make them. From there it's a vicious circle, as the groans, and moans from the fans, ensure that they lose all confidence, and make yet more.

Uniteds biggest problem is not ability, but mentality.

This idea that Ole can do no wrong because the players are crap, is ridiculous, and counter productive. Now try stop calling the players crap!

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
I hope we clear the dross this summer. Can't understand how so many mediocre players have survived here for so long.

Man of the Match

Paul Pogba image Paul Pogba 41% of 533 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

5.1 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 363 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • West Ham win
  • Draw