PL L FA Premier League

West Ham United 2:0 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Sun, 22 September 2019

Jeffthered

I don't expect much this season, our players bar a couple are v average.
The issue is the lack of any emerging identity for how we play. We have no playing style at all. Look at Norwich City ffs. They definitely do. So I wonder about Ole's pedigree, he seems lost. Should be a club ambassador or some similar role. But he's struggling as manager here.

My second concern is what seems a complete lack of desire amongst many players. They play like being there is a burden, and they seem uninspired.

Where is the manager?

We were playing slow, predictable dull football last year with Mata, Matic and Young in the team. They're back again and we're surprised we're not getting anything different?

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Only just watched the game. I expected West Ham to win beforehand, but I wasn't expecting such a lacklustre performance. No energy, super sloppy passing, lethargic static football with most having a full week to recover from the last game.

No positives today.

OleGunnar20

I accept that the club is thinking long term now, i like that.
I accept that it will cost a bit short term for long term gain.
It's hard to accept such lifeless, halfhearted performances like this.

Gomes has a lot to learn still, but i think we could get long term gain sooner if we played him as much as he could handle right now.
We wouldn't become great over night because he played but at the same time i just can't see him offer any less right now than more established players like Periera, Mata, Lingard. Honestly wouldn't mind seeing Williams and Garner either, at least as subs.

It's just easier to handle our shiteness when you have a few promising youngsters to cling your hopes to...
Agreed.

Gomes, Greenwood, Tuanzebe, Dalot, Garner, Williams & Laird - Promising youngsters with big potential, who you presume will actually give a shite for 90minutes.

We have a lot of potential in the squad who - if we're going to be struggling this season anyway - should be given chances to impress.

Crazy that we went into this season with such a dire squad. We need two midfielders, a top striker & a right winger to come in and settle well before we're anywhere near a safely entrenched top-4 side for my money.

MisterLupus

Saw this one coming - yet it was still painful to watch. As always we actually do manage to produce some great plays - three really good chances but nobody to take them. Rashford finding himself alone with the keeper then freezing up like a confused child - totally indecisive and lacking anything even resembling resolve or self-esteem - then Mata and Maguire both missing clear sitters. West Ham didn't produce much either - but their players actually managed to net the ball so they deserved this win.

Cockney Phil

They are. And they’re both flaky as feck. Hence we’re well capable of being absolutely shite, with or without them.
We can blame Ole for the lack of experience or the present loss of injured players or even the delay in forming this squad with late transfers in and out. We’ve had transition until it failed and the pantry is bare. The greater problem is where we go from here. Another manager, January, loans - none of it offers a solution at this time.

dogwithabone

Because it's so simple to pluck Arsenals best player by a mile and bring him to a soul-sucking, mid-table, inept team who are lightyears off ever challenging for the league..

As hilarious as Arsenal are, if they get their defence sorted, I still think they are a lot better than us.

Defence is, er, quite a fundamental component of a football team. If we are light years off challenging for the title then so are Arsenal given that top class centre backs are about £80m a piece, decent full backs £50m each and another £75m to get you a world class goalkeeper. Arsenal haven’t got any of that lot so they’re going nowhere fast unless they have a spare £300m in January. My guess is we could probably double Aubameyang’s wages and the fee is no problem to us. Plenty of reasons why we could get him out of Arsenal.

Eddy_JukeZ

This season has the potential to be a complete disaster.

We're a shambolic club now.

Everything is awful.

meninred

What is alarming is not as such the loss but the performance. If we overall perform well in games then we have good chance we win the next match .I personally say a coach should take full responsibility on performances while result is shared responsibility that includes the players. Just to add Chelsea is a good example today they lost but they performed really well especially the second half.

Bestietom

Woodward and the board failed Ole this summer after all the promises of a rebuild. We brought in 2 top players in replacements for Herrera, Fellaini and Lukaku which is why we are in this state. As well as this, a lot of the players that failed to impress last season are the ones who are still playing this season. Our team and club has got worse instead of better, and I cannot see any change coming in the near future as long as Woody is here,

Nr.7

Thought Mata was one of our best players
Are you a West Ham fan?

I’m just watching it again (don’t ask why) and I honestly can’t describe how poor Mata was. The guy is absolutely useless at this level. He’s so slow and weak, it’s hard to watch him struggle.

Geekie

difficult to pick the most underwhelming player because they are very united in that area but I'd go for Pereira, how on earth is he a first team player the bar is on the floor

Infra-red

Once you accept that 6th/7th place is par for the course for United now and will continue to be so for many more years to come, this sort of thing all becomes a lot easier to take.

Relevated

fixated with venom and phalluses
Agreed.

Gomes, Greenwood, Tuanzebe, Dalot, Garner, Williams & Laird - Promising youngsters with big potential, who you presume will actually give a shite for 90minutes.

We have a lot of potential in the squad who - if we're going to be struggling this season anyway - should be given chances to impress.

Crazy that we went into this season with such a dire squad. We need two midfielders, a top striker & a right winger to come in and settle well before we're anywhere near a safely entrenched top-4 side for my money.
Man, it would probably be easier for us to promote all of them to the first team and sign 3/4 football veterans to guide the team.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
We were playing slow, predictable dull football last year with Mata, Matic and Young in the team. They're back again and we're surprised we're not getting anything different?
You have connected the dots.
So have I.
So have many people.
So, why hasn't Ole? It's like he plays these players who we all know will likely fail, but Ole doesn't seem to understand this.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
Once you accept that 6th/7th place is par for the course for United now and will continue to be so for many more years to come, this sort of thing all becomes a lot easier to take.
6th is optimistic.
I predicted 8th place, in the Summer, with Ole sacked in 2019.
I've seen nothing to make me change my mind.

Posh Red

You have connected the dots.
So have I.
So have many people.
So, why hasn't Ole? It's like he plays these players who we all know will likely fail, but Ole doesn't seem to understand this.
Don’t think he had a great deal of choice today. Who’s fault that is is another question.

Infra-red

6th is optimistic.
I predicted 8th place, in the Summer, with Ole sacked in 2019.
I've seen nothing to make me change my mind.
You may well be right. Although if you generally assume that we'll finish 6th every year, 8th doesn't seem so bad - slightly below par.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
"Man Utd have lost seven of their last 15 Premier League games (W4 D4 L7), as many defeats as they had recorded in their previous 40 matches in the competition (W25 D8 L7)." - BBC Sport.
That's 16 points from 15 matches. Just over 1 point per game.

r0663664

Worships Man City
Get ready for a lot of down and a few up. We will be frustrated watching our away against mid table team and trash against good team. Home game, we will win narrowly against mid-table teams. Against TOP team, we will lost or draw. Sounds for a mid table team for sure. Nothing can get us out until end of the season. Sad season for fans.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
You say that as though we only started playing crap since they got back in the team. Can I remind you that Crystal Palace beat us - at Old fecking Trafford - when not one of those players started the game?

jeff gurr

Supports
Leicester City
Defence is, er, quite a fundamental component of a football team. If we are light years off challenging for the title then so are Arsenal given that top class centre backs are about £80m a piece, decent full backs £50m each and another £75m to get you a world class goalkeeper. Arsenal haven’t got any of that lot so they’re going nowhere fast unless they have a spare £300m in January. My guess is we could probably double Aubameyang’s wages and the fee is no problem to us. Plenty of reasons why we could get him out of Arsenal.
The trick is to be one step ahead. United spot Wan Bissaka after he makes the breakthrough & the same with Maguire, they need to buy him from Hull before Leicester got him. It's not necessary to pay top drawer prices if your scouts are doing their job. James was good business as he is still a work in progress but with a high potential.
Clubs now view Arsenal, Man Utd & the other top Premier clubs as a cash cow who will pay a top premium.

El Zoido

We play 4-5-1 with a CF that has no goal scoring instinct, and a midfield that a neither support the back four nor create goals going forward. It’ll be a tough season, we need to sign another 5 players: LB, DMF, AMF, RW, CF.

Scholsey2004

Well, we've fixed the defence. The attack and depth in midfield needs to be next. Most of all we need a couple of David Silva/Kevin de bruyne type creators. That won't be cheap or easy to source. I'd love us to get Sancho but it's going to be hard selling the club to him when we probably won't qualify for the champions League again. By the end of the season we'll know if either martial or rashford can really lead the line because it's sink or swim now Lukaku is gone.

beingshe7don

I think there should be a rating for Ole (Manager) as well along with the players.

Velvet Revolver

Well, we've fixed the defence. The attack and depth in midfield needs to be next. Most of all we need a couple of David Silva/Kevin de bruyne type creators. That won't be cheap or easy to source. I'd love us to get Sancho but it's going to be hard selling the club to him when we probably won't qualify for the champions League again. By the end of the season we'll know if either martial or rashford can really lead the line because it's sink or swim now Lukaku is gone.
We have not fixed anything. We have signed two good players thats all and by focusing on that we have messed up the entire team shape and structure. If the board needs to see trophies ( read as top 4 finish) Then solving issues one summer window at a time is not going to do any good.

SaintMuppet

I switched off before half time I was so bored. Slow and predictable, lucky I did not watch more it seems or I may have thrown the tv. Luckily for me I have other interests and it’s unlikely I will watch again this season as it seems to me a waste of 2 hours of my life.

The Glazers need to go as do half the squad. Ole looks like a man who knows his dream job is turning into a nightmare.

Dark days ahead for all at United...

Nakhon Phanom

Our defence, bar Young, is adequate but the midfield and attack is woeful.
I know Pogba and Martial are injured but we are paying a heavy price for not investing in a top class midfielder and striker in pre-season.
I don't blame Ole for this. I blame the second hand car dealer, Woodward, who controls the clubs finances.
Other than the defence who had a reasonable game... McTominay, James ??..Mata, Rashford, Pereira all absolutely shocking. Those 3 made Matic look average which is good for him !

Cnaiür urs Skiötha

That midfield might have been the worst that the PL has seen this season. Matic, McTominay and Mata all awful.
I guess Fred has an affair with Ole‘s wife. or something like that.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
That midfield might have been the worst that the PL has seen this season. Matic, McTominay and Mata all awful.
I guess Fred has an affair with Ole‘s wife. or something like that.
Everybody bar the manager can see that two of these three are done at the highest level. So sick of favoritism

Micky Targaryen

Please please please stop with the excuses that we did not invest enough in the summer. Of course, ideally I'd love it if we brought in more world class players in, but do we seriously need to invest to beat teams like Crystal Palace and West fecking Ham?! Are you saying our squad are worse than theirs? Even fecking Leicester are playing better football than us.

Please please please stop with the excuses that we did not invest enough in the summer. Of course, ideally I'd love it if we brought in more world class players in, but do we seriously need to invest to beat teams like Crystal Palace and West fecking Ham?! Are you saying our squad are worse than theirs? Even fecking Leicester are playing better football than us.
I agree, why can’t we create chances as a team? That’s nothing to do with signings it’s down to coaching.

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
:lol:
Glad people are taking me more seriously when I said we’re competing with Leicester and west ham this season for 8th.

Ole has stripped this team down to mediocre quality and high effort. Aka high mid table. If you set your expectations accordingly you will have fun this season. If you still think we’re a top club then I feel sorry for ya

Player Ratings

4.1 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 389 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • West Ham win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 23% West Ham 1:2 Man Utd
  • 19% West Ham 1:1 Man Utd