PL L FA Premier League

West Ham United 2:0 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Sun, 22 September 2019

AlwaysRed66

At least the Spurs, Chelsea and Arse are crap too.

Top3-4 still possible.
I fancy Leicester fighting for top 4. Weird we beat them, & not lesser sides. Though they never recovered from the dodgy penalty we gained.

Roboc7

The team we had out was not really any better then theirs and if being completely honest they have a better manager.

We still need to start all over again, a DOF, a plan, a new manager and better players.

Melville Red

I fancy Leicester fighting for top 4. Weird we beat them, & not lesser sides. Though they never recovered from the dodgy penalty we gained.
I bet Maguire looks at the table and thinks wtf, why did I join this lot?
Then looks at his contract and all’s well with the world.
My god we were bloody hopeless today, worse performance of the season, no get up and go, no impetus no nothing, an all round abysmal display.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
West Ham didn’t even play well, that’s the worst bit.

Twisted Nerve

I've stopped being surprised when we lose, we're that bad. It doesn't even piss me off anymore.. That says a lot .
Utter garbage. Can't see it changing any time soon
I even find it hard to crack a smile when we win because I know it's just a fluke and we'll be straight back to losing again. I used to jump up and shout and punch the air when we scored or won but now I've just lost the will to do it.

fps

"Man Utd have lost seven of their last 15 Premier League games (W4 D4 L7), as many defeats as they had recorded in their previous 40 matches in the competition (W25 D8 L7)." - BBC Sport.

Coxpazed

I was watching the Villa v West Ham game. It was barely football. Was expecting a comfortable win here.
It should've been a walk over but the lads were not committed to winning and totally lacked the mentality to turn the game around. A serious review of the players mentality is need ASAP, their attitude towards winning is very poor. It's very disappointing to watch them play, there performance falls very short of the Man Utd l've known.

Valuedrug

Not surprising given the lineup. That’s not even mid table in a league this competitive.

Just saw the post match from Solskjaer. Obviously, it must be difficult sitting there, having to maintain a somewhat straight face given what he will be feeling inside. But I don’t see a leader or a man fit for this occasion, and I don’t think any of the players are seeing that day to day either. He looks in way over his head, sorry to say, and it’s not exactly a first either. Does anyone even know what principles of play he is talking about? What on earth is his vision for our attacking play?

With a squad this thin and a footballing setup this inept, we will need a miracle worker to go anywhere worth mentioning.

fps

I wasn't in, how did the game go? Sounds like United were toothless and West Ham more up for the fight. Did Fred play? If so, how was he?

Devil may care

To be fair, I try to think about a pro active style with hacks like Mata, Matic and Young in the team and I can't see it. We play Periera out wide, who is no winger. No creativity or talent in midfield, or top strikers in the squad. Our only strong point is our defence, and we have been a bit unlucky in that part.
I don't disagree that this squad is well under par, but he isn't being forced to pick Matic and Mata, he could have started Fred and Gomes, they might not be the total answer but you can at least try to build on them, where as Mata and Matic are past it so not only have we lost but we haven't even given any valuable starting chances to players that might enhance us, instead wasting another game on 2 players we know aren't good enough and who aren't going to get any better.

Alabaster Codify7

That was way, way worse than anything I expected.

There was a moment today, around the 70th minute or so - a beautifully timed coincidence that for me, perfectly sums up the state of this club.

I think it was Young, hoofed a hopeful, aimless ball upfield that bobbled out for a goal-kick. As the ball was bobbling out, Andy Townsend (I think, whoever was on my river) said "See, that's the lack of quality I'm talking about....."

Midway through his sentence, the camera panned to the touchline to show Mike Phelan with a vague beergut gesturing half-heartedly and Ole behind him, hands in pockets, staring blankly ahead looking like a young David Moyes.

It was quite a poignant moment.

Before kickoff , most fans could pick out 5-6 West Ham players that would probably get into our team. By full-time, you could say most of the West Ham team man-for-man were clearly better than what we had to work with.

From the start, we looked as we'v looked in most games this season - clueless, directionless and seemingly playing without any real plan other than trying a long ball for Rashford to chase down. Rashford, by the way, was atrocious before his injury. Absolutely horrific. Again.

Nobody looked remotely good today, not a single one of them. James possibly due to actually showing desire, same goes for McTominay but Scott's lack of skill and composure is pitying to see sometimes.

This, boys and girls, is what we have become. We are a midtable team who just happen to pay extremely well for little return. When you have a mid-table squad and a mid-table manager, you get mid-table results.

We are doing what mid-table teams do - we take one step forward and two steps back. We play okay one week, diabolically the next. We win some, we lose some, we draw some.

We finish mid-table.

I said 8th before the season started; depending on injuries and how long Ole spends trying to stop the slide, I'd not be surprised to see us finish 10th.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"

There was a moment today, around the 70th minute or so - a beautifully timed coincidence that for me, perfectly sums up the state of this club.

I think it was Young, hoofed a hopeful, aimless ball upfield that bobbled out for a goal-kick. As the ball was bobbling out, Andy Townsend (I think, whoever was on my river) said "See, that's the lack of quality I'm talking about....."

Midway through his sentence, the camera panned to the touchline to show Mike Phelan with a vague beergut gesturing half-heartedly and Ole behind him, hands in pockets, staring blankly ahead looking like a young David Moyes.

Before kickoff , most fans could pick out 5-6 West Ham players that would probably get into our team. By full-time, you could say most of the West Ham team man-for-man were clearly better than what we had to work with.

From the start, we looked as we'v looked in most games this season - clueless, directionless and seemingly playing without any real plan other than trying a long ball for Rashford to chase down. Rashford, by the way, was atrocious before his injury. Absolutely horrific. Again.

Nobody looked remotely good today, not a single one of them. James possibly due to actually showing desire, same goes for McTominay but Scott's lack of skill and composure is pitying to see sometimes.

This, boys and girls, is what we have become. We are a midtable team who just happen to pay extremely well for little return. When you have a mid-table squad and a mid-table manager, you get mid-table results.

We are doing what mid-table teams do - we take one step forward and two steps back. We play okay one week, diabolically the next. We win some, we lose some, we draw some.

We finish mid-table.

I said 8th before the season started; depending on injuries and how long Ole spends trying to stop the slide, I'd not be surprised to see us finish 10th.
Astute write up, comrade.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Not surprising given the lineup. That’s not even mid table in a league this competitive.

Just saw the post match from Solskjaer. Obviously, it must be difficult sitting there, having to maintain a somewhat straight face given what he will be feeling inside. But I don’t see a leader or a man fit for this occasion, and I don’t think any of the players are seeing that day to day either. He looks in way over his head, sorry to say, and it’s not exactly a first either. Does anyone even know what principles of play he is talking about? What on earth is his vision for our attacking play?

With a squad this thin and a footballing setup this inept, we will need a miracle worker to go anywhere worth mentioning.
And a miracle worker he is not.
To be honest I am at a complete loss to understand how it has got to this absolutely shambles.

Skip to my Lou

I just can't figure out why the board and management can't see there's something very wrong at the club. Are they blind or just don't give a shite.

90 + 5min

Looking at our attack it was criminal bad in first. No running, not wanting the ball and absolutly nothing to show. Our midfield didn't push up and that meant that our attacking players were to defensive. In second half we were better. Should have at least scored 2 goals. How Mata and Maguire missed those chances is beyond me. We have to be quicker with our passing. Right now we either pass to early (Pereira) or to late (McTom).

Looking at defense I thought we were solid as rock before that goal. West Ham couldn't even get near DeGea or even our 18 yard box. I know that lot of you guys don't like Matic but with him as DM we are harder to beat. Sure, he isn't giving to much in offense but we are more compact than having Pogba there. When he returns push Pogba up and let Matic stay is my solution. The goal came when Pereira suddenly was on left side and it clearly disturbed our defending. Young, before that had completely shut down that side. In second half I thought we were still good even if we had to open up to chase a goal. West Ham got more to say about but still our backline were good. Second goal is nothing to do about.

We lost. West Ham is hard place to go to but I don't think we were worse. I really don't. Difference were that they scored and we didn't.

DSG

We finish mid-table.

I think this is a bit negative. And I think Ole is bearing the brunt of the criticism, and it’s probably not completely warranted. The three players he brought in (James, AWB and Maguire) were the best on the pitch for us, and have been the best this season so far

I do not think the effort was poor. It wasn’t. It comes from a few very problematic players that he had to start due to injuries, with the possible exception of Matic.

Mata - So sad to see such a smart, skilled player sink to this level. Just not physically up for the challenge. Not fast enough, quick enough, strong enough. Two managers LvG and Jose have beaten every creative spark out of him. Just awful. He needs to retire or move to a lower league. At no time when he had the ball did he worry the opponent.

Matic - Sideways and back passing. Slow to react defensively. Doesn’t win any balls that are within a yard of him. Can’t close down with speed anymore.

Andreas - just doesn’t offer anything that you would consider to be helpful in attack. Isn’t particularly fast or quick, doesn’t offer insightful passing, isn’t particularly good defensively, just a body, really.

Young - just doesn’t have the skill and tactical understanding to play fullback. Poor positioning, loves to play the ball back and has horrendous corners and free kicks. Offers nothing.

Rashford - two years ago, he finishes that breakaway in the bottom right corner. Yes, he way absolutely starved for service, it’s true. But a striker of true quality finds a way to score. He isn’t. Sadly, he’s probably closer to Danny Welbeck 2.0 than the next great Man United striker. When he plays fearlessly, optimistically, he can score, but when he is under pressure, he disappoints everyone, mostly himself. The chances he missed v Astana, and in the PL, you can tell. He won’t be our top choice striker next season (if we don’t feck it up).

ravi2

They are. Actually many CEOs are not footballing experts, but they surround themslves with people who are. I dont know why Woody doesn't do that.
Ego , pure and simple. The man does not want to relinquish power in any department, much to the detriment of our club.

ravi2

We finish mid-table.

sad but true

Waynne

We won't event make top 10 this season. The club is going to fall further behind the rest of the league.

I'm not even watching the games anymore. This is worse than under Mourinho.

NJM78

Just checked on away games since last win at PSG.

P9 W0 D3 L6.

We have conceded 18 goals and scored just 5!!

Shocking stats.

dogwithabone

Throw the cheque book at signing Aubameyang in January. We are utterly toothless up front and he sticks the ball in the net. Simple as that.

Seb burrow

That was so bad! Walking football at best that. In desperate need for a fresh pair of CMs and a striker as a minimum.

nesty

Throw the cheque book at signing Aubameyang in January. We are utterly toothless up front and he sticks the ball in the net. Simple as that.
Because it's so simple to pluck Arsenals best player by a mile and bring him to a soul-sucking, mid-table, inept team who are lightyears off ever challenging for the league..

As hilarious as Arsenal are, if they get their defence sorted, I still think they are a lot better than us.

Judas

Open to offers
I’m so disappointed by how much Mata is playing, and how predictable it is that he’s doing so. If he’s this bad at the start of the season, I dread to think how he’ll be in a few months.

Beans

Supports
Neutral
Hopefully this is the end of Matic, at least that would be a positive. It's like they don't like to run, they're always tired, and don't actually like to play football. It's been that way for years. Pereira, James and Obiwan were the exception.

Gordon S

I accept that the club is thinking long term now, i like that.
I accept that it will cost a bit short term for long term gain.
It's hard to accept such lifeless, halfhearted performances like this.

Gomes has a lot to learn still, but i think we could get long term gain sooner if we played him as much as he could handle right now.
We wouldn't become great over night because he played but at the same time i just can't see him offer any less right now than more established players like Periera, Mata, Lingard. Honestly wouldn't mind seeing Williams and Garner either, at least as subs.

It's just easier to handle our shiteness when you have a few promising youngsters to cling your hopes to...

nainaisson

We're almost there. We just need to sell two more forwards and two more midfielders without replacing them and I think we'll finally be there. Stay the course, Ole.

ICHM

There are at least two players in midfield who should not play for us again.

Player Ratings

4.1 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 389 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • West Ham win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 23% West Ham 1:2 Man Utd
  • 19% West Ham 1:1 Man Utd