PL L FA Premier League

West Ham United 2:0 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Sun, 22 September 2019

You say that as though we only started playing crap since they got back in the team. Can I remind you that Crystal Palace beat us - at Old fecking Trafford - when not one of those players started the game?
Oh there are other problems undoubtedly, but as long as those names feature regularly we are not fixing any of them.

Mourinhonista

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Please please please stop with the excuses that we did not invest enough in the summer. Of course, ideally I'd love it if we brought in more world class players in, but do we seriously need to invest to beat teams like Crystal Palace and West fecking Ham?! Are you saying our squad are worse than theirs? Even fecking Leicester are playing better football than us.
I think West Ham had the better attacking players then United yesterday. If i compare the team man for man i'd take most of West Ham players.

Haller > Rashford (big lad who knows how to score).
Yarmolenko > Pereira
Noble > Mata (ran the show, something Mata can't do anymore)
James = Anderson (James has been playing really well)

Against Crystal Palace it's much closer, we had Martial and Pogba available too. Still, we haven't got the star power Zaha brings to the team, apart from James the no.10s and the right wingers are far behing compared to them. Lingard and Pereira atm are Championship players.

I criticize Ole for one thing, he really should be playing the youth. It's clear as daylight that with Mata, Pereira and atm Rashford we won't score many goals.

BigLad

Been watching Utd since early 60s through good and poor times but this team lacks something. Is it energy, skill, fitness or coaching? Something is wrong. Watched scousers v Chelsea and it was fast, energetic and with confidence and skill. I feel as we are Utd will struggle.

norm87cro

We bought Dalot, AWB and have Rojo we but still see Young in an unnatural position for him? With the lack of offensive options prehaps Ole should use him as an impact sub up front and let the full backs be full backs. Resting everything on the shoulders of Greenwood and even James (who has been great so far) would be unfair. On the other hand I really don't see what Matic and Mata could contribute anymore.

BigLad

Dismal performance. Moyes,van gal,mourhinio and Ole but nothing changes. Woodward has been the constant and it will continue unless he is replaced. Someone needs to take hold of the football side and reorganise and invigorate. Woodward is a businessman and should stick to making money. Change is needed and now!

Last edited by a moderator:

RedDevilRoshi

I switched the game off once the HT whistle went. Nothing other than abysmal and that’s me being nice about that 1st half display. I haven’t seen the 2nd half and I don’t want too as it’ll probably be a rerun of the 1st half or worse!

Don’t want to rant away either as what difference will that make? This club is just rotten to the core and it ain’t going to get much better I’m afraid.

Maticmaker

OK it was a bad day at the office, with one third of the first team missing, but our tactics seemed... well just lacking.

IMO Rashford is not a centre forward, it should have been obvious that his strength is not in hold-up play, there was at least twenty yards at times between him and one of the next three James, Mata and Pereira. It was also obvious (only it appears recognised three quarters through the game!) that James's speed down the middle was causing West Ham problems, but why did it take so long to suss this out by Ole and his assistants?

If ever we needed a 442 formation, with Rashford and James up front as long/lone range strikers it was yesterday. We have to stop thinking we are still a great team with a world class midfield and start playing to win, if that means going long to two fast strikers, then lets do it, or at least lets try it out!

Davs

I've refrained from posting in here for the 24 hours after the match to let my emotions return to somewhat of a normal state. Few things I want to say are:

I find it uttrerly crazy that after the performance yesterday people immediately blaming Woodward for that loss. We all know that the clubs hierarchy is a problem, but come on, it's so embarrassing blaming them for the players efforts yesterday.

Woodward and co. are responsible for the lack of good recruitment over the last few years NOT the lack of drive/control/pressing/enthusiasm of our starting XI yesterday. Its embarrassing blaming that performance on Woodward. Time to put the lack of good recruitment behind us too, forget it, it's boring.

The summer got us an upgraded CB in Maguire, arguably the best RB in the league and a good prospect in Dan James. You CANNOT revamp a squad in one window, stop thinking you can.

Onto the actual game... there's not a lot to actually say. Poor pressing, without conceding to many good chances. Minus the first goal there was hardly a goalscoring chance, for either team. The performance was lackluster with zero intensity from the majority of our spine.

We had multiple injuries/players missing. As much as people dont want to admit it for one reason or another we do miss Pogba massively. McT had a half decent game but Mata/Matic were shocking and lacked any creative spark.

Rashford is NOT a striker. He's a winger, end of. He cannot play as a 9, we really really need some firepower back in this team and Martial isnt the answer either. Big name signing up top is needed.

TLDR; Don't bash Woodward for that performance. We were lackluster. Believe our summer signings will be replicated in other positions in windows to come. Rashford is a winger and not capable of playing CF effectively for us.

Alemar

Don't bash Woodward for that performance. We were lackluster. Believe our summer signings will be replicated in other positions in windows to come. Rashford is a winger and not capable of playing CF effectively for us.
But this particular performance was not about Woodward. It was about Mata, Matic, Young, Pereira and Lingard being shite in general, and Rashford being out of form. So, it was mainly about very poor team selection and wrong (apparently) tactics.

croadyman

Someone rang into MUTV post match yesterday and questioned why they couldn't get through on The Paddy Crerand show.

The look on that Sam Homewood's face trying to deal with the awkwardness was an absolute picture.

togg

Yeah. Realising that this Ole just doesn’t have the managerial chops for this big a job is horrible but there you go. Doesn’t make my memories of him as a player any less fond.

For what it’s worth, I think even a world class manager would struggle at a club that spends its money with such staggering incompetence. But does anyone seriously think Ole is a really too class manager? We never would have thought of him as one at Molde and it doesn’t look like he’s turned into one over the last 10 months.
Yeah, if it really continues to go tits up, then he'll walk away still respected and idolised as the player he was. He was responsible for one of the greatest moments this club has experienced which will still be much bigger than any failure as a manager. Although loads got swept along on the 'ole at the wheel' parade, I think deep down every fan knew it was a big gamble considering his lack of experience. Everyone was and is willing for it to work. It still might but feck me since PSG it's almost been relegation form.....

Hampshire Rec

Love Ole and always will, but he has that Rabbit lost in the headlights look at present.

Always felt we should have waited till the end of the season before giving him the job and maybe it’s inevitable that it will fail and it kind of shows that he just does not have the intestinal fortitude or the skill sets required for the job!

Let’s be honest Jose’s form was better than this currently and he got the bullet!

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
I switched the game off once the HT whistle went. Nothing other than abysmal and that’s me being nice about that
1st half display. I haven’t seen the 2nd half and I don’t want too as it’ll probably be a rerun of the 1st half or worse!

Don’t want to rant away either as what difference will that make? This club is just rotten to the core and it ain’t going to get much better I’m afraid.
You didn't miss anything. I watched the GP and even under the safety car, it was more interesting.
I have to believe that it will get better. But that belief is getting pretty slim.
Will it get better with Ole. I have serious doubts.

dogwithabone

:lol:
Glad people are taking me more seriously when I said we’re competing with Leicester and west ham this season for 8th.

Ole has stripped this team down to mediocre quality and high effort. Aka high mid table. If you set your expectations accordingly you will have fun this season. If you still think we’re a top club then I feel sorry for ya

What a load of nonsense. Are you saying we are not a top club ? What are we then ? A Leicester ? A West Ham ? You’ve lost the plot if you think that. So, for example, when Liverpool play us Sky won’t have it live because it’s just Liverpool v a mid table side. Manchester United are and always will be the biggest draw in English football. Maybe not the best, just like we, City, Liverpool and any other top six side weren’t the best a few seasons ago when Leicester won the title. We are undergoing a difficult transitional period but only a proper idiot will claim we aren’t a top club. Laughable post from you.

Sir Scott McToMinay

What a load of nonsense. Are you saying we are not a top club ? What are we then ? A Leicester ? A West Ham ? You’ve lost the plot if you think that. So, for example, when Liverpool play us Sky won’t have it live because it’s just Liverpool v a mid table side. Manchester United are and always will be the biggest draw in English football. Maybe not the best, just like we, City, Liverpool and any other top six side weren’t the best a few seasons ago when Leicester won the title. We are undergoing a difficult transitional period but only a proper idiot will claim we aren’t a top club. Laughable post from you.
Are AC Milan a top club? I’m not sure, they were a top club but not anymore.
I didn’t consider Liverpool a “top club” when they’ve had Hodgson or Kenny D managing them, I considered them a rival and a historical club but not a top contemporary club.

We have not been even close to competing for the league for six years now.
The decision making from the higher ups is absolutely pathetic, if we weren’t so crazy rich we would’ve gotten relegated by now.

Maybe we are a top club but we’re no where near a top team on the pitch, which is what actually matters in football.

dogwithabone

Are AC Milan a top club? I’m not sure, they were a top club but not anymore.
I didn’t consider Liverpool a “top club” when they’ve had Hodgson or Kenny D managing them, I considered them a rival and a historical club but not a top contemporary club.

We have not been even close to competing for the league for six years now.
The decision making from the higher ups is absolutely pathetic, if we weren’t so crazy rich we would’ve gotten relegated by now.

Maybe we are a top club but we’re no where near a top team on the pitch, which is what actually matters in football.

Are Liverpool a top club ? Haven’t won it for 30 something years. I take it Spurs aren’t a top club ? Won virtually nothing in 20 or 30 years. Arsenal ? Longer wait than us. From your logic I’m deducing City are the only top club in England ? I’ve always considered Liverpool to be a top football club even these past 30 years. You can’t rewrite history, AC Milan are definitely a top side.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Are Liverpool a top club ? Haven’t won it for 30 something years. I take it Spurs aren’t a top club ? Won virtually nothing in 20 or 30 years. Arsenal ? Longer wait than us. From your logic I’m deducing City are the only top club in England ? I’ve always considered Liverpool to be a top football club even these past 30 years. You can’t rewrite history, AC Milan are definitely a top side.
They are a top club but not a top team. That's what we are right now too.

As were Liverpool during the Poulson/Konchesky/Adam days. All Hodgson signings btw :lol:

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
There's definitely a big difference between a big club historically and a current top club. I'd feel embarrassed to try to call us that after the last 6 years, we have to earn our right at that table. At best I'd say we're somewhere inbetween but falling towards being a historical top club quite fast. That's what i considered Liverpool all those years and what i consider AC Milan right now. No top player would go to AC.

dogwithabone

There's definitely a big difference between a big club historically and a current top club. I'd feel embarrassed to try to call us that after the last 6 years, we have to earn our right at that table. At best I'd say we're somewhere inbetween but falling towards being a historical top club quite fast. That's what i considered Liverpool all those years and what i consider AC Milan right now. No top player would go to AC.
What about Tottenham ? Big club who can attract top players or more an AC Milan in your eyes. They’ve done nothing, absolutely nothing in terms of winning trophies. AC have won shed loads more than Spurs in every respect.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
What about Tottenham ? Big club who can attract top players or more an AC Milan in your eyes. They’ve done nothing, absolutely nothing in terms of winning trophies. AC have won shed loads more than Spurs in every respect.
There's a clear difference, it just depends what label you want to put on them. Ndombele wouldn't sign for AC Milan, but he did Spurs. Making the CL final and being top 3 in the Prem does raise your standing in the game.

AC are the bigger club historically. Tottenham are the team/club with the higher standing in world football right now. AC are irrelevant really.

dogwithabone

There's a clear difference, it just depends what label you want to put on them. Ndombele wouldn't sign for AC Milan, but he did Spurs. Making the CL final and being top 3 in the Prem does raise your standing in the game.

AC are the bigger club historically. Tottenham are the team/club with the higher standing in world football right now. AC are irrelevant really.

If you were a truly ambitious footballer would you even contemplate signing for a team with the odd domestic cup in the last 60 years. Ndombele would have been attracted to the PL not Tottenham. AC Milan are and always will be a far bigger club than Spurs.

Player Ratings

4.1 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 389 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • West Ham win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 23% West Ham 1:2 Man Utd
  • 19% West Ham 1:1 Man Utd