PL D FA Premier League

Manchester United 1:1 West Ham United

Post-match discussion

Wed, 22 July 2020

Greck

It's so transparent isn't it.

If we were getting beaten 5-3 by Liverpool he'd be posting Ole out and saying how shit we are. I'm sick of how miserable this place gets whenever we don't win.
I'm sure if we were losing 5-3 to Liverpool you'd be saying how wonderful we are, we've all played the same number of games and we're ahead of Chelsea and Leicester. Hope you enjoy supporting Chelsea next season, don't come back.
Who died and made you gatekeeper? Stop being a dunce. I'm saying fatigue is not an excuse for mental fragility. If they are to go down the minimum is to go down fighting. It's aimed at the players

Paul the Wolf

France - can't win anything with Swedish turnips
Not being funny, but we could have put the top four race to bed for us tonight against a West Ham side who were all but safe (huge goal difference) but we've shit our collective pants again, wouldn't surprise me one bit to see this team getting spanked by Leicester City and Chelsea cruise through Wolves.

Spineless is the appropriate word to describe this set of players.

Remind me of Arsenal under Wenger way too much for my liking.
You do realise that if Leicester spank us and Chelsea beat Wolves it would make no difference to us winning against West Ham but carry on.....

freddie the red

The only thing that's made this evening slightly bearable has been the rent boys losing meaning that, somehow, we end up in 3rd spot with one game remaining.
Beyond that, our game earlier was a depressing throwback to some of our earlier worst performances.
We do have a reasonable first 11 but virtually no quality backing them up meaning big decisions need to be made during the close season.
For me, one of those has to be to get rid of Pogba. A supremely gifted individual who simply can't be bothered when it doesn't suit him and today's effort was quite pathetic.
From throwing his hands up at the ball to gift them the penalty to not busting a gut in the second half to atone is not what we need to take this club from top 4 pretenders to championship contenders.
I reserve my biggest criticism for him simply because of the chasm between his potential and his performances.
World class poseur.

Last edited:

Paul the Wolf

Who died and made you gatekeeper? Stop being a dunce. I'm saying fatigue is not an excuse for mental fragility. If they are to go down the minimum is to go down fighting. It's aimed at the players
Is that the same mental fragility that made us make up a 14 point deficit over Leicester and now sees us in 3rd when we seemed to have no chance a few months ago. If we don't make it now it's because of our early season form. Give it a rest!

DevilRed

At this rate, it should be Greenwood leading the line and playing closest to the goal.

He is our best goal scorer bar none.

AndyMUFC

It was poor, we actually got worse as the game went on and definitely look a tired team but at the end of the day we're 3rd going into the final day. Hopefully we can get over the line against Leicester.

yumtum

DUX' bumchum
You do realise that if Leicester spank us and Chelsea beat Wolves it would make no difference to us winning against West Ham but carry on.....
You realise if we had beaten West Ham comfortably (put top four to bed as I put it, so 3 or 4 nil) then we could have lost against Leicester City and still made top 4 (we'd both be on 65 points) - no idea why you took issue with what I've said?

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
Just a reminder:

We gave up a FA Cup semi for today.
We didn't give up the semi. I don't really know what we wanted to do tbh. Didn't entirely rest the team, didn't put out the best XI either. Don't really know what Ole was trying to achieve but the results were not surprising to me.

Greck

You realise if we had beaten West Ham comfortably (put top four to bed as I put it, so 3 or 4 nil) then we could have lost against Leicester City and still made top 4 (we'd both be on 65 points) - no idea why you took issue with what I've said?
Yep, plus they were the ones who fell 14 points behind Leicester in the first place. The lad seems foolishly sensitive to the team being held accountable

Paul the Wolf

So if Leicester beat us 2-0 which is hardly spanking us we'd be 5th and Chelsea beating Wolves puts them on 66

yumtum

DUX' bumchum
So if Leicester beat us 2-0 which is hardly spanking us we'd be 5th and Chelsea beating Wolves puts them on 66
What are you talking about? Before today's games Leicester and ourselves were sitting on 62 points with Chelsea on 63 (us and Chelseahaving played a game less), if we had comfortably beaten West Ham (like I said originally - putting top four to bed tonight) then we'd be on 65 points with Leicester City on 62 having the same games played.

Aka we could play with freedom knowing they'd have to beat us by more than we beat West Ham.

Now that we haven't, I can see Leicester City spanking us as we don't have the mental fortitude to win a must win game, I have no idea why you're having issues with what I've said?

@Greck to be honest, I'm the worst after days like today, so I say things I probably wouldn't say without being emotional, but I wouldnt judge anyone for having an opinion on todays result being a bad one from us.

Greck

What are you talking about? Before today's games Leicester and ourselves were sitting on 62 points with Chelsea on 63 (us and Chelseahaving played a game less), if we had comfortably beaten West Ham (like I said originally - putting top four to bed tonight) then we'd be on 65 points with Leicester City on 62 having the same games played.

Aka we could play with freedom knowing they'd have to beat us by more than we beat West Ham.

Now that we haven't, I can see Leicester City spanking us as we don't have the mental fortitude to win a must win game, I have no idea why you're having issues with what I've said?

@Greck to be honest, I'm the worst after days like today, so I say things I probably wouldn't say without being emotional, but I wouldnt judge anyone for having an opinion on todays result being a bad one from us.
Result wasn't even bad, now 3rd but performance was below average and the players seemed to wilt in terms of mental fortitude. Between the last 2 weeks they've stumbled at crucial junctures. Like they're determined to vindicate that Carragher article

Igor Drefljak

Definitely Russian
What summed up the performance for me today was in the second half , deep in our left side, about 5 of our players within close proximity of each other and when the ball got played into midfield, not one of our players could be arsed to close them down for Declan Rice's free shot

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
Unless we won by a massive margin not losing was absolutely imperative. Heavy legs and nerves contributed to such mediocre performance.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
The only thing that's made this evening slightly bearable has been the rent boys losing meaning that, somehow, we end up in 3rd spot with one game remaining.
See this narrative pisses me off. 'Somehow' we end up in 3rd? We've won 18 out of 24 points since the restart. We aren't somehow 3rd. We are there on merit

nainaisson

The only team capable of getting Man Utd in the Champions League right now are Wolves.

Go Wolves! Batter Chelski, please.

Paul the Wolf

You still haven't got it - if we won 4-0 against West Ham and Leicester beat us 2-0 they are ahead of us - so we still need to get a draw against Leicester whether we had beaten West Ham or not, we were not safe beating West Ham, now do you understand. Not winning tonight is not the end of the world, Sunday matters as long as we got at least a draw tonight, which we did. In fact we could have lost tonight and won on Sunday and still qualified but that would have been too much for some and they would now be in a state of hysteria, if they aren't already.

No-one is saying we played well tonight but it's Sunday that matters and we need a draw. If we lose then we try to qualify by winning the Europa League.
We've done brilliantly clawing back the deficit but no some of our fans would rather lose 5-3 to Liverpool.

Mr Smith

The amount of loose touches and passes was astounding. Can we put thst down to just tiredness, or is it a lack of focus?

I don't think this team is mentally strong.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
Just a reminder:

We gave up a FA Cup semi for today.
No we didn't. We should have, but we went for both - and by luck have ended up in a decent position in the table.

Ole must have no trust in this squad. God knows what they're seeing in training, but the lack of subs when we're so clearly exhausted is crazy.

The likes of James, Fred, McTominay, Mata.... Confidences must be at an all time low.

yumtum

DUX' bumchum
You still haven't got it - if we won 4-0 against West Ham and Leicester beat us 2-0 they are ahead of us - so we still need to get a draw against Leicester whether we had beaten West Ham or not, we were not safe beating West Ham, now do you understand.
:lol: we would have been on equal points but a better goal difference in that scenario (the scenario in my original post) - take a look at the table and then you'll understand.

@Greck I'm just pissed about the missed opportunities, end of the day we're still 3rd as you say - just my faith in this squad isn't high right now after that display to beat Leicester.

Paul the Wolf

:lol: we would have been on equal points but a better goal difference in that scenario (the scenario in my original post) - take a look at the table and then you'll understand.

@Greck I'm just pissed about the missed opportunities, end of the day we're still 3rd as you say - just my faith in this squad isn't high right now after that display to beat Leicester.

Oh for pity's sake!

No-one can be this stupid!

So United win 4-0 v WHU, LC beat us 2-0

Say Chelsea win 1-0

Table now looks like this:

1. Liverpool
2. City
3. Chelsea 66 pts
4. Leicester GF 69 GA 39 pts 65
5. Man Utd GF 67 GA 37 pts 65

Now you can say sorry

PS If the squad's so bad how did you expect us to win 4-0 and we don't have to beat Leicester anyway.

Last edited:

RedDevil@84

At some point Ole has to decide if 25% Bruno or 50% Pogba is better than everyone else on the bench.

Coops73

We look knackered and I get that, Sort of, but Pogba and Rashford looked like they’d been drugged.

I’m fecking agog with how we’ve lost our shit over the last couple of games, I’m genuinely worried about Sunday.

Giggsy13

Pogba gave us more reasons to doubt whether he is worthy of being here long term. That was such an amateur hand ball, and just exemplified his lack of focus and concentration. While everyone generally had a poor game, the pogba error cost us 3 points.

Rolaholic

Really not happy about that performance at all and I feel like only Maguire, Martial and Greenwood can come out of it with their heads held high but I don't think it's worth melting down over completely especially after the Chelsea result. We're in 3rd place heading into the final match day where a single point will be good enough to qualify for CL football, things could be much worse...

I agree about the gripes over our depth and lack of rotation but all the shouts to sell some of our starters are a bit of an overreaction I find. We need to keep and add on to the quality that we do have, not get rid of them if we really want to be able to get back to challenging for top honors again.

I get the urge to be reactionary after that performance but we're still in a much much better place in terms of our foundation/spine and building on towards the future then we were a year ago. A good summer window of adding an injection of quality into the squad and letting some deadwood loose and we'll be in a real good place imo.

We won't always have a run of 10 matches in a single month :lol:, no need to make definitive pronouncements under extraordinary circumstances regarding players that are clearly gassed or regarding Ole who was dealt a less than ideal hand prior to the season. We take care of business Sunday and the mood will justifiably be much more positive

yumtum

DUX' bumchum
Oh for pity's sake!

No-one can be this stupid!

So United win 4-0 v WHU, LC beat us 2-0

Say Chelsea win 1-0

Table now looks like this:

1. Liverpool
2. City
3. Chelsea 66 pts
4. Leicester GF 69 GA 39 pts 65
5. Man Utd GF 67 GA 37 pts 65

Now you can say sorry

PS If the squad's so bad how did you expect us to win 4-0 and we don't have to beat Leicester anyway.
You're right! I was adding the 4 on our current standings which would have given us +1 on GD! What an idiot. :lol: Sorry for causing you stress. :angel:

Maths fail aside I stand by my original point, we could have put it to bed tonight.

Sing you a song

Beyond that, our game earlier was a depressing throwback to some of our earlier worst performances.
We do have a reasonable first 11 but virtually no quality backing them up meaning big decisions need to be made during the close season.
For me, one of those has to be to get rid of Pogba. A supremely gifted individual who simply can't be bothered when it doesn't suit him and today's effort was quite pathetic.
From throwing his hands up at the ball to gift them the penalty to not busting a gut in the second half to atone is not what we need to take this club from top 4 pretenders to championship contenders.
I reserve my biggest criticism for him simply because of the chasm between his potential and his performances.
World class poseur.
I’ve said it ever since he came back . He looked world class in Italy and at the World Cup because the pace in both is much slower than the premiership .
The prem us far too fast for him he constantly gets caught in possession if he goes back to Italy or to Spain he could win the balon d’or but he will never win it playing in the prem it’s too frantic for him .

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
See this narrative pisses me off. 'Somehow' we end up in 3rd? We've won 18 out of 24 points since the restart. We aren't somehow 3rd. We are there on merit
I was going to start a “Project Restart” league table, for shits and giggles. We’re surely miles out in front, right? Every other team has lost at least a couple of games.

I didn’t start it partly because it would go down a rabbit hole about difficulty of fixtures (and we must have had the easiest fixtures of any big team) but mainly because I couldn’t be arsed.

Paul the Wolf

You're right! I was adding the 4 on our current standings which would have given us +1 on GD! What an idiot. :lol: Sorry for causing you stress. :angel:

Maths fail aside I stand by my original point, we could have put it to bed tonight.
If we'd won 9-0 we could have been relatively safe but they could have beaten us 5-0 and we'd still be 5th :)

yumtum

DUX' bumchum
If we'd won 9-0 we could have been relatively safe but they could have beaten us 5-0 and we'd still be 5th :)
Geez you're going to keep rubbing that math fail in ain't you? :lol:

I didn't out my point across as well as I'd have liked to be honest, just saying if we'd have won today the pressure to win wouldn't be as great as it is now, which I don't think we cope well with (yes, I know a draw against Leicester is enough!)

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
I was going to start a “Project Restart” league table, for shits and giggles. We’re surely miles out in front, right? Every other team has lost at least a couple of games.

I didn’t start it partly because it would go down a rabbit hole about difficulty of fixtures (and we must have had the easiest fixtures of any big team) but mainly because I couldn’t be arsed.
Not miles out in front, but the only unbeaten team. In fact I can't think of anyone who has lost less than 2 (could be wrong).

You're right about fixture difficulty. Its a factor, but there aren't many easy fixtures in this league and besides, it not really relevant. I just can't help but bite when people claim weve stumbled into 3rd when actually we've been a points machine since game 25.

The amount of 'fans' on here that actively seek out negatives, or look to belittle any achievement, just astounds me. When did people start finding it so difficult to just support their team?

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Not miles out in front, but the only unbeaten team. In fact I can't think of anyone who has lost less than 2 (could be wrong).

You're right about fixture difficulty. Its a factor, but there aren't many easy fixtures in this league and besides, it not really relevant. I just can't help but bite when people claim weve stumbled into 3rd when actually we've been a points machine since game 25.

The amount of 'fans' on here that actively seek out negatives, or look to belittle any achievement, just astounds me. When did people start finding it so difficult to just support their team?
Especially in the run in, when “easy” games against teams fighting for survival are often the toughest.

Player Ratings

5.2 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 303 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • West Ham win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 18% Man Utd 2:0 West Ham
  • 17% Man Utd 3:0 West Ham