PL D FA Premier League

Manchester United 1:1 West Ham United

Post-match discussion

Wed, 22 July 2020

ghagua

Fernandes needs to retain possession in certain scenarios, I don't want to detract from his creativity but maybe reign it in a bit. I feel he, and Pogba if we go forward with these 2 need an absolute workhorse next to them with 3 lungs. Fernandes will lose possession, you just have to accept that, it's part of his game. Pogba won't charge around making tackles, he just doesn't. Problem now is, we have Matic as their cover, his positioning is good but once it's beaten he hasn't got the recovery pace to track and make a challenge. Give them 2 the proper cover they need and both their weaknesses won't be so evident, esp when they are feeling the pace, as both are undertstandably showing in recent games.

I accept the fact that Bruno will lose possession a lot, that is understandable when he is trying to get the strikers in, but he simply has to do a better job of retaining the ball when the pass is not on. I have been watching him lose the ball half the time he receives it, thus creating more of a problem for his teammates to win the ball back. He needs to pick his killer passes, and other times play simple passes to teammates when the team needs to retain possession.

As for Pogba, nothing against the guy, but I feel he is producing nowhere enough for a player of his standing and reputation.

DSG

Okay, first, no need to be a dick about it.

Second, all I said was that a conflict with Jose fecking Mourinho of all people is indicative of exactly sweet feck all because the man could start a row in an empty house.
Wasn’t trying to be a dick, if I offended, my apologies.

Still, sticking to my guns. He’s underperformed here. There’s at least 5-7 CMs I’d rather have and I think are winning players and fit us better. He’s slow to react to the press, gives a lot of balls away, mostly shrinks from pressure, isn’t especially gifted at finishing, doesn’t have a high work rate or great positioning... he might hit the best thru ball in the game and is a great dribbler. For being the most expensive CM in the game and 300k a week, I think it’s not unreasonable to expect a bit more.

Given all that, for me, he’s not world class.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
Pogba is a world class player. Period. He is fatigued and probably playing with some minor injuries.

Martial did not disappear in the match last night. He was pretty good when he got the ball.

We were at half pace because we are tired.

If we finish top 4 we will deserve it, you can say we don't deserve it but it does not matter one iota.
how can pogba possibly be fatigued? he's hardly played this season? if he is, then he isn't fit enough to be near the tam

Matriac

how can pogba possibly be fatigued? he's hardly played this season? if he is, then he isn't fit enough to be near the tam
A game every 3 days for a month?

And he doesn't look any more fatigued than any others on the team?

gerdm07

Thinks we should have kept Pereira
Really? The most telling sign about his fatigue is he rarely blows by defenders if they over commit. Now, he fakes he is going to dribble by and then reverses to make space to pass. This is what players do when they don't trust their legs to sustain any thrust. The same is true for Rashford. I think he has only had 1 or 2 effective dribbles in a few matches now. He is spent. Martial and Greenwood are the only ones that look like they have any pep in their step.

When this happens defenses adjust and make it harder. Now they know Pogba is not going to make a thrusting dribble so they can pressure him more.

I've said before, though, the team still has about 30 or 40 minutes of good play in a match left. We just need to score a goal or two during this good play so the 1st half on Sunday is critical.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
A game every 3 days for a month?

And he doesn't look any more fatigued than any others on the team?
but he's npt had the long season the others have... and he hasn't played many full 90 minutes at all

sunama

Baghdad Bob
A lot of people are blaming fatigue.
Does this fatigue excuse not apply to our opponents?

sunama

Baghdad Bob
but he's npt had the long season the others have... and he hasn't played many full 90 minutes at all
Agreed. Pogba is a natural athlete, who has had a lot of rest. The excuse of fatigue is weak.
Maguire on the other hand has played a lot of minutes throughout the season - he can be excused for being fatigued.

One thing to remember though is that the players won't be getting much rest this year, as pre-sesaon for next season, starts soon after the current season ends.
So, if this is how the team plays when fatigued, expect a lot more of this next season.
The big issue is that our 2nd team is absolutely crap, so Ole has no choice but to keep playing our first team picks, because the moment he brings on the likes of Lingard and Mata, we are unable to score a goal.

Player Ratings

5.2 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 303 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • West Ham win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 18% Man Utd 2:0 West Ham
  • 17% Man Utd 3:0 West Ham