PL D FA Premier League

Manchester United 1:1 West Ham United

Post-match discussion

Wed, 22 July 2020

padzilla

Hipster
To be fair to Pogba he made a better save from that shot than De Gea would.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Not resting our players in FA Cup could be Ole biggest mistake this season.

OneUnited24

Could we have honestly been worse in that game? They played through our midfield like they weren't there. Our attacking was diabolical and knew we'd give it away anyway. A Sunday league team could have played against us in the second half and figured out within minutes how to play against us.

Throwing on McTominay for a tired Matic, Fred for a off the pace Fernandes/Pogba, Ighalo on earlier for Rashford who may as well have worn a West ham top is not rocket science. Our players had no energy. The answer isn't to leave them on and hope for the best when running on empty and needing them against a much tougher opposition in a few days time
So your idea when we’re up against it is to bring on more players who don’t hold onto the ball? I mean you have a point. It worked so well vs Soton

Offsideagain

Tired of body and brain sums it up. Hard to distinguish who was fighting relegation. Can somebody tell me what a World Class player looks like because I haven’t seen any tonight. All down to the Foxes away. Brady will be licking his lips being up against Harry the Head.

Copa Mundial

This game just goes on to show how bad our second string is. Ole is unable to rotate players as there is no quality on the bench. Hence our players are absolutely knackered!

diarm

I don't want to go on about it because there were enough people in the match thread making idiots of themselves, but it's been clear since the Brighton game that players were starting to look exhausted. The league was all important and our depth is so poor that you can't blame Ole for demanding so much of guys like Bruno, Maguire, Lindelof and Wan-Bissaka - but that FA Cup selection was a huge mistake.

There are no two ways about it - even if you're of the mindset that it's essential to give everything you have in the Cup, we didn't do that because players simply weren't able to perform with nothing left in the tank. You can be the best player in the world but if you are running on fumes, the journeyman squad player is still the better selection.

I get not giving minutes to the players we want to ship out this summer. But what about the players we want to keep and develop? Fred and McTominay are sat on the bench, watching 3 midfielders piss the ball away over and over and over again, thinking to themselves how little their coach must trust them if he thinks they're worse than that.

I've been 100% behind Ole from the start and throughout - I still am because I really believe in the job he's done and is continuing to do with the club. But he has to be smarter and braver at the business end if he's going to take us back to the top. He needs to be ruthless when a player, even a top player like Rashford is putting a performance in like todays. He should've been hooked at half time just to make the point - that level of application is unacceptable.

A very frustrating performance, even if the result was no different to winning by 1 or 2 goals. We are probably only a couple of signings away from having a truly excellent first team but 7 or 8 away from having a good quad.

Riz

If this wasn't a giant, Madison Square Garden-billboard sized hint to the board about lacking squad depth, I don't know what it was. Absolute terrible football. Made Noble look like Pirlo.

I don't get Pogba's role in this game? He keeps passing to Matic / our defenders. What does he expect? You are the World Cup-winner, you are the one who cost £89mil. - maybe you should fecking try and do something.... terrible.

Silver lining is... if we don't get CL it's totally and utterly deserved and our own stupid fault. I would hate for us to miss top 4, had we been playing world class football for 8-10 games straight, and still not being able to make the cut. At least now we get face the reality that the best paid squad in the league don't have the cojones and spine to perform with just a grain of expectation...
Yep he was redundant today, Fred could have done the exact same job. I was hoping after the penalty he would come out raring to go in the second half but he shrank into himself, a characteristic of this team when the going gets tough.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
I will disembark these boards for a few days because reason and oversight has left the building.

Strelok

Bad, bad feeling about this. The legs are gone, and we go to a Leicester who've also had more rest than us. We're lucky these last couple of league games haven't been against top teams. We'd have been battered black and blue. This is worse than squeaky bum time now. Thankfully there's a good rest period before EL really resumes, seeing as we don't need the big boys for LASK. In case it comes to that. And oh...Declan Rice really is a very good player.
If I'm not wrong after the break all teams who faced us had more days to rest than us. And Leicester will have 6-7 days and us 3 days.

Feck FA. They must be fecking against us.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Leicester would love to attack this helpless lot. I think they're going to come out all guns blazing and why not ?

Thiagoal

Our players are clearly fecked physically so I can’t understand why the coaching staff have not realised this and rotated our key players? Today was begging for a Fred l, Mc T two with Matic, Bruno and PP all looking abysmal yet they all stayed on for 90mins and will likely play on Sunday too

Superunknown

Cup final on Sunday now, Leicester will love what they've just seen. They'll have had a weeks rest and we look dead on our feet. If we're getting top 4, it's going to be scrappy.

Serious transfer window coming up if we're going to progress this team and squad, fielding the same XI in the CL and PL next season is going to cause us problems.
Let's hope we play better than we did in our last cup game. :houllier::nervous:

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
We do not deserve the Champions League, and if we do end up in 3rd or 4th come Sunday afternoon, by god are we lucky to be there.

Holy shit was that bad. Last Home game of the season and they give that performance.

Once again, stumbling over the line and hoping for next season to come from. A far cry from finishing strong under SAF.
Stop being a drama queen. We are unbeaten in the league in ages and have a W5 D3 L0 record since the start. Better than anyone. We absolutely do deserve the Champions League

InfiniteBoredom

We have clawed back 15 points with looking down and out in Jan. Then we make moves and have an absolute stormer to get back into the mix. But, it seems it has come at a cost. We should get there but, the last 4 games or have been a bit of a slog. Not enough quality depth which is why Ole is reluctant to make subs. Tired performance from the team and hopefully, it's just enough left in the tank to get us over the line.
Fred and McTominay have barely played since the restart and they were part of that unbeaten run with wins against Chelsea and City. It’s shit man management that has gotten us to this stage.

I think we will just about limp over the line because Leicester is also dogshite right now, but what we’ve seen in the past week or so doesn’t bode well for the future. We will be scrapping for 4th again next season.

Really poor, Matic has been shocking since getting his new contract, awful, awful performance from him needing 4+ touches when everyone else was taking 1, and gave away at least 3 silly fouls a way.
I think we're suffering from a lack of width more than anything central. The three midfielders are constantly trying to thread the eye of a needle because teams have identified we can't stretch the play too effectively. Greenwood isn't a winger and AWB doesn't offer enough offensively on the right. On the left today Rashford seemed content to cut inside and pass the ball backwards every time he received it and the less said about William's performance the better.

Ludens the Red

Christ, that was without doubt our worse performance of the season. I’d rate at least nine out there a 4 or under. We have a lot of confidence/fragile players and after the Chelsea game it’s clear a lot were rocked which is why I was so annoyed we essentially threw that game. This team are not capable of just turning it on and off like a switch.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
I'm done with tiredness being our excuse. WH stopped us comfortably tactically.

Deery

Dreary
Wouldn’t be too upset if we sold Pogba, plays 1-2 games were he looks World class and 5-6 were he’s not even in the game. If I thought we could get £130m and move on I’d take it.

Irwin99

Pretty good given the pre season doom and gloom!
It's kind of a miracle really :lol: Honestly if this goes wrong we should look at that summer and Ed's role in it. Luckily I think we'll get a result on Sunnday and he'll be let off the hook again.

AJ Bullet

Leicester will beat this shower, mentally gone, like Arsenal of the late Wenger years. When the going gets tough the tough hide under the table.

Dante

Average bang
Draw to get 4th, win to get 3rd. I'd have taken that scenario at Christmas.

(Assuming Liverpool beat Chelsea today.)

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
I mean he wasnt the worst on the pitch. Look at Bruno barely made a completed pass all match.
Pogba was the worst on the pitch by a country mile. If we swapped him with fecking Noble we likely would have won. That was a pathetic performance from him. At least Bruno works hard and tries things. Pogba tried nothing, didn't work hard, and gave away an embarrassing pen.

joedirt87

Because largely the same 11 players have played every 3/4 days and the 1 half opportunity we had to rest them we didn’t.
lets not forget we also managed to turn the FA Cup game against Norwich into a 120 minute mess where the good majority of our starting 11 played a significant stint. bruno played 120 minutes ffs.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
We take brain fart to a new level almost every league game now, and Pogba seems to be the main culprit.

His recent casual play and all round lethargy is back to his levels under Jose. Don't know if he's played too much or what.

thegregster

Harbinger of new information
Not good enough from the players bar Greenwood.
Pogba is finished at this level. Have been saying this since last year.
Not good enough from the manager. He was the one who claimed we would be the fittest team in the league.
Not good enough from the board who have us in this mess in the first place by not signing Bruno in July 2019.

Pretty damming for a club and Woodward who bullshit on about how great and how big we are.

Shiva87

9 matches in 29 days or something and it shows. Think that FA cup match might cost us top four. I dont know how we go up a gear on sunday.
The fact that we have 4 days of rest before Leicester is good to begin with. That's just about enough time for a good recovery. Should be okay to compete with Leicester. It will be a cup final for Champions League.

We always make it hard for ourselves. This could have been so much easier if we won at Southampton!

morbidsaint

Deansgate preaching scientology with Tom Cruise
That's definitely a problem, we lack quality on the bench to come on and change a game and Ole knows it. Ighalo is probably the only one who can make an impact.
And Ighalo is bang average. Think about that.. the only players on our bench that could make any kind of impact is bang average Ighalo that not even Watford wanted. Ole does not trust anyone on that bench, and i do not blame him.

OneUnited24

Yes correct in terms of leciester. BUT a win would have been big because we could have lost to Leciester and still qualified if Chelsea draw both games or lose tonight and draw against wolves.
A win would definitely have been better than a draw!
That’s a big if. Chelsea have done well recently so they could equally win both. Our job was always catching Leicester. Not Chelsea

Paul the Wolf

France - can't win anything with Swedish turnips
Well we got the draw, which may be all we needed, Leicester's the really important match. and even then a draw will do. Could have beaten West Ham and losing to Leicester could still knock us out of the race.

Looked a lot of tired players , quite a few off form. Williams and Rashford on the left were poor. Looked better when AWB came on on the right but Lindelof looked so weak and unaware as usual.

Anyway cheering on LIverpool for a change and as long as we don't lose to Leicester we're there., maybe falling over the line.

DarkChild™

Back to shit on a stick football. Soo many miss passes under little to no pressure. One man press.

Riz

Rubbish, these are professional athletes who have been back kicking playing games for a few weeks. Bollocks they need resting.
I’m not excusing the performance or the tactics or the desire at all which are all independent of that. But it’s not bollocks at all. It’s basic sports science.

VivaJesperBlomqvist

When did Williams suddenly become the Caf’s new whipping boy? I remember people on here purring about him only months ago. Now you seem to look for any opportunity to slate him. The groupthink and fickleness is absolutely absurd here. Williams has a decent game for me. I think people forget his age.

Thought Maguire was impressive today.

Player Ratings

5.2 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 303 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • West Ham win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 18% Man Utd 2:0 West Ham