PL D FA Premier League

Manchester United 1:1 West Ham United

Post-match discussion

Wed, 22 July 2020

DevilRed

The only thing worse than the performance was having to listen to 5 live & their constant switch to Championship matched even in injury time.

OGS no game management 2 out of 5 subs used. Soton cock up & now this. Crikey 2 more points & Chelsea would be under pressure. Lose tonight & then they have Wolves which I can see as a draw. We have lost the possibility of us losing v LCFC & Chelsea dawing which would have been enough.

Must score 1st v Leicester.
What I'd give to score 1st against leicester. Would calm us down immensely.

We never seem to be able to score a jammy goal from a set piece or corner. That would be the difference maker in such a tight nervy match.

dev1l

Come on guys and girls,your team needs a result vs Leicester, best thing you can do from now till Sunday is get behind your team.
Moaning and grumbling won't get us anywhere.
Support your team ffs!

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Not good enough from the players bar Greenwood.
Pogba is finished at this level. Have been saying this since last year.
Not good enough from the manager. He was the one who claimed we would be the fittest team in the league.
Not good enough from the board who have us in this mess in the first place by not signing Bruno in July 2019.

Pretty damming for a club and Woodward who bullshit on about how great and how big we are.
Let's pass judgement after Sunday eh.

yan man utd

We, as supporters have to accept the fundamental flaws in our team/culture as ball playing team.

The more we kid ourselves the longer we will wait for the cure/solution

1 an inability to raise our game against teams that on paper are certainly inferior- especially when it really matters

2 our lack of understanding of what it takes to control a game - and that is management and fans alike - so none of this ‘clear it’ / ‘get it forward as quick as you can’
Possession and momentum in a game is key

3 an obvious deficiency/ deficiencies through the centre / spine of the team especially defensively - this being when we have the exceptionally talented front trio

4 our lack of acceptance that there is something wrong with the tactics / coaching in terms of ability to support a lethal attack.

5 clear evidence of flaws in terms of in game management. When was the last time our management turned a game around?

this is Man Utd. It’s there for the taking and yet we are sweating until the final game of the season - to become 3rd or 4th

give me/us a break’!

Schmeichel=God

Pathetic. What the feck is Ole doing? He clearly just picks the best players and hopes for the best. How can he fecking sit there and make hardly any subs? Just pathetic.
Is he doing a Mourinho and trying to signal to the board that they damn well need to pull their fingers out and up the quality of the squad overall....?

AJ Bullet

Predictable. Awful performance, no intensity, no control, no cohesion. One brilliant goal thanks to two supremely talented attackers.

We have zero chance to get anything at Leicester. I don't know if it's tiredness, poor tactics, lack of mental strength, or all of these combined - but it's all set up to be a limp 2-1 defeat.

They'll come at us, press us, harass us, and will take the lead. Someone will pull a goal out of nothing to equalise but Leicester will take the game to us, eventually score a second. Then we'll faff about a bit and go out with a whimper.
Our players didnt even looked too fussed about trying to win second half, obviously CL football doesnt mean all that much to them anyway, perhaps we all shouldnt care so much I guess?

joker00

We have absolutely no quality on the bench though. With the game at 1-1 who could we conceivably bring that wouldn't represent a massive drop in quality?
With the performance of Rashford today, James could've been a serious rise in quality.
Scott for Pogba I saw it obvious.
Lindeloff for litterally anyone

Squeaky Bumtime

Why is Ighalo forgotten. He came in today in 85th minute. About 25 minutes or so too late. And generally has been playing too rare. First time he came in today he had a chance.

Dominos

Could we have honestly been worse in that game? They played through our midfield like they weren't there. Our attacking was diabolical and knew we'd give it away anyway. A Sunday league team could have played against us in the second half and figured out within minutes how to play against us.

Throwing on McTominay for a tired Matic, Fred for a off the pace Fernandes/Pogba, Ighalo on earlier for Rashford who may as well have worn a West ham top is not rocket science. Our players had no energy. The answer isn't to leave them on and hope for the best when running on empty and needing them against a much tougher opposition in a few days time
100% correct.

We couldn't get a touch of the ball 2nd half, we could not have been any worse.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Leicester would love to attack this helpless lot. I think they're going to come out all guns blazing and why not ?
I actually wouldn't mind that.

We can't carry a game to the opposition, that much is evident. Teams are enjoying giving us possession and hitting us on the counter

Schmeichel=God

We, as supporters have to accept the fundamental flaws in our team/culture as ball playing team.

The more we kid ourselves the longer we will wait for the cure/solution

1 an inability to raise our game against teams that on paper are certainly inferior- especially when it really matters

2 our lack of understanding of what it takes to control a game - and that is management and fans alike - so none of this ‘clear it’ / ‘get it forward as quick as you can’
Possession and momentum in a game is key

3 an obvious deficiency/ deficiencies through the centre / spine of the team especially defensively - this being without the exceptionally talented front trio

4 our lack of acceptance that there is something wrong with the tactics / coaching in terms of ability to support a lethal attack.

5 clear evidence of flaws in terms of in game management. When was the last time our management turned a game around?

this is Man Utd. It’s there for the taking and yet we are sweating until the final game of the season - to become 3rd or 4th

give me/us a break’!
Much to be agreed with

OneUnited24

Cos we were holding the ball this game? If it was a case of we were cutting through them but playing open at the back I'd get your point but we showed absolutely nothing in that second half after the goal. The only reason they didn't score is cos they kept missing, not because we defended so well as individuals or as a team.

We showed nothing going forward or defensively. As Neville said, Noble was made to look like Del Piero. I don't get what the others on the bench could have done worse except boot it into our own net
Well if your creative players are tired it’s not hard to understand why we weren’t cutting them appart. No movement off the ball and poor choices.
Matic saw that game out for us. The persistent fouling slowed the game down which suited us fine. I don’t think Fred or mctom would have been that clever.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
Ole's gambled on not rotating his squad like other teams around him have, and that has helped us make up for the gap between us and the top 4. However, the fatigue is now catching up to us, and that was quite apparent against a West Ham team that could have been beaten. In the end, though, they came out the fresher team and one that looked likelier to get 3 points as a result.

I get it, though; Ole was stuck between a rock and a hard place. He can either rotate this team and deal with their lack of match sharpness, or he can stick with a quality 11 that is comfortable with and trusts each other. He's decided to go with the latter, and whenever he has rotated subbed in the fringe players, we've had our first XI players hesitate to give the ball to the fringe players (TFM & Ighalo today; McTominay & TFM against Palace). Look at Brandon Williams over the past couple of matches. His lack of match sharpness has caused us problems on our left side, and instead of trying to build that up, Ole chose to push Wan-Bissaka & Shaw to their absolute limits. Now, we have no choice but to rely on Williams and hope that he doesn't make as many mistakes against Leceister on the final day.

I really hope that we can get over the line, but you can't help but feel that we're slowly slipping and losing grip on the Champions League spots.

Steve 007

Let’s calm down a bit, before the restart most of us would have bitten your hand off to be where we are. The manager and the players have slowly and surely since January dragged us up the table. We all know we don’t have strength in depth to be able to rest our best players. If we drop Pogba or Fernandez, Rashford, Marshall or Greenwood, we are screwed. Then look at the defence, how many games have Lingard, Maguire and AWB started? No wonder their knackered. We will get top 4 just watch and hopefully we’ll get some more decent players in the summer.

tjb

People need to be a little bit more objective about what happened in the game. We weren't just poor throughout. We were absolutely dominating till Pogba's handball. We lacked width in the first half, due to TFM and Williams being utterly useless at providing any form of width, not even being in the right positions for their teammates to open up crossing opportunities. This made it very difficult to for us to break them down. In addition, neither Bruno or Pogba were providing any cutting passes, they were far more cautious than usual.

In the second half, after the Greenwood goal, our legs went and West Ham started attacking more. More importantly, Bowden started attacking Williams, who literally could not stop him in anyway. Every single attack we would have that broke down would be gotten by Bowden, who would then run 40 yards up the pitch with Williams literally providing no threat to his run. You would think he had forgotten how to make a tackle. Macguire and Matic were doing a lot of cleaning up for him today. Furthermore, we still struggle from set pieces, Literally every set piece they had seemed threatening because we found it difficult to clear. McGuire needs a stronger partner, because in the premier league, lower teams take them seriously.

Gordon S

I would pay some good money to know what the actual feck is going on with the team. Is there any other top team that can go from smashing teams with ease to our current form, just like turning a switch? I know some players are tired but this is something else.
We were talking about challenging next season already! Feels far far away currently.

Were still in with a chance of getting top 4 though which feels weird considering where we were halfway through the season.

Woodenlung

A very worrying trend has developed over the last three fixtures. We're no longer able to maintain control of the game or raise our speed at will. We let teams come onto us and impose their game and we go behind and have to raise our game for a 10/15 minute spell and score. We then proceed to drop off again.

This team is knackered and I just can't see us getting the required result against a rested Leicester.

hungrywing

Imagine being on the bench for that and the manager not trusting you to come on.
Do we need a whole new bench for next season? What's the plan?
Really at this point someone should print the above out and show it to Ole. It's horrendous.

Like @Garethw said in another thread:

His in game management is the worst I’ve ever seen from a Manchester United manager.

FreakyJim

90% of teams play better football than us
This team is dead. Only capable of playing well when they feel like it and when there's no pressure.
Exactly.

The famous run happened when we were playing for basically nothing. Arsenalesque. They used to do this for years. No chance of top 4/title and suddenly playing like world beaters. First sign of pressure - crumbling.
We can keep deluding ourselves about tiredness but it's not just that. Mentally weak.

Shimo

Thought we would go for the jugular after we equalized, leading to the goal we started play a lot quicker and then we again just fell off. Have to think some of that was mental to not lose the game.

Have to be so much sharper come Sunday, can't be having needless give aways that littered the game today.

acnumber9

So matic and Pogba probably keep the ball better than any one in our team, even on a off day. However your idea is to bring on players who don’t hold onto the ball well enough against a team that’s pressing us. You may have something there. I mean it worked so well vs soton
They weren’t pressing us. We just weren’t tackling them. If you can’t pass the call, and we couldn’t, bring on somebody that will carry the ball up the pitch. I would normally agree with the fact Matic and Pogba are only midfielders capable of passing but it wasn’t working at all.

If Fred and McTominay aren’t capable of playing in Those circumstances then I don’t know why people care about us qualifying for the Champions League because we’ll need another two midfielders to go on top of everything else we already need anyway to just not shame ourselves in the group stages.

caid

No we didn't.
We needed to win.
What if Leicester beat us on Sunday?
If they beat us on Sunday a win today wouldn't have helped. They'd finish ahead of us on goal difference barring us racking up a cricket score today.

MUM

We need to be more effective in that midfield.
We seem to have the skill but lack the grit when the going gets tough.

Rolaholic

For those getting on players for a lack of fitness, especially the ones who came back from injury, we've hardly rotated during these last 10 matches in 30 days. That's a torrid pace for any side and especially for us since we have shite squad depth so it's not a surprise to see the starters looking dead tired at the moment.

Ole deserves some blame for not rotating as much especially when we were hammering teams early on in the restart but I figure it reflects a lack of trust in his bench options

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
They still look threatening though. This team looks void of any ideas. Its just mindless, side ways passing.
In their last two games they've been spanked 3-0 by Spurs and 4-1 by Bournemouth. They're missing Chilwell, Soyuncu and Maddison. Let's not pretend they haven't been woeful.

phonics_tid

Your Mother Was a Hamster and Your Father Smelt of
Honestly, it looked like we were playing for a draw tonight. It was so painfully obvious that they were going to score at some point, we constantly let them into the game. Even after we got the goal back, we done next to nothing.

Now we go to Leicester, who have had a week off and will be feeling refreshed. It’s so difficult to like this team at times when they make it so bloody obvious that they don’t have the bottle when it’s needed.

Flying_Heckfish

Running out of steam. One more push then we can relax. If we have to rely on Europa though it's hard to see how we will have the legs.

Mental fragility still a problem, too. Can't play under pressure.

drdoityourself

Very, very tired. No team has handled the extreme load. We are now in front of Leicester. Hopefully the team can squeeze out an ounce of energy.

Walters_19_MuFc

Not great. Not great at all! Slow and predictable from start to finish. When we did get the ball into good areas, we lacked the quality we've shown of late.

When we scored - which was much more typical of what we've shown previously, I felt we'd kick on from there and get the win, but it wasn't to be and looks like we'll have to do it the hard way.

We're Man United! We never do it the easy way, and on Sunday, it'll go down to the wire.

Guess this is what football is about. Anything like tonight, and we will struggle, but I personally think we'll get the result needed to secure top four.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
The only thing worse than the performance was having to listen to 5 live & their constant switch to Championship matched even in injury time.

OGS no game management 2 out of 5 subs used. Soton cock up & now this. Crikey 2 more points & Chelsea would be under pressure. Lose tonight & then they have Wolves which I can see as a draw. We have lost the possibility of us losing v LCFC & Chelsea dawing which would have been enough.

Must score 1st v Leicester.
Far worse than any of that was having the village idiot Savage pretending he knows what he is drivelling on about like the mindless idiot he is.
And to think that the BBC have sacked Alan Green to pay for that fool.

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Rashford lost us that one. Lack of conviction and skill on the ball. The amount of times he acted as a dead end wall just one touching a pass back from channels was horrible. Take it on the turn and run at them with tight control. He doesn’t have it in him right now and it showed. He bottlenecked all our attack on the left and shut us out.

Player Ratings

5.2 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 303 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • West Ham win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 18% Man Utd 2:0 West Ham
  • 17% Man Utd 3:0 West Ham