PL D FA Premier League

Manchester United 1:1 West Ham United

Post-match discussion

Wed, 22 July 2020

RoyH1

The good: We’re third and the goal was a very nice play. And not much else

OneUnited24

Just as some people struggled to understand the maths on various wins, I strongly believe a lot of people can't work this bit out too.

A 2-1 win would only have served for confidence, it's still a head to head v Leicester, win or draw.

Unless we think Chelsea will lose both last games..
Exactly. I think people just want to panic to feel better. I’m still hoping we went out there playing at half intensity to save legs :lol:

OneUnited24

Not if we had won tonight, too many are saying this was a great result when we could have put massive pressure on Chelsea. We would have been on 65 points which would have required Chelsea to win at least one of their final games and they have tougher games than us.
I’d rather us go through on our own merit and not because Chelsea bottled it.

Superden

Pogba is wasted in that deeper role. Need him to play box to box...too often he was dawdling 20 yards behind the play. Trust in matic to play the DM. Just as city do with their DM.

soralapio

Well that was the least surprising thing ever. The players who looked completely overworked and done against Chelsea STILL looked completely done. The squad management in that game looks more and more dubious, and playing Bruno for 100+ minutes against Chelsea looks criminally negligent.

I really really really hope United don't try to set up to defend against Leicester, because that way disaster lies.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
Crap performance, but we got the bare minimum we needed. Please God let us collapse over the line with the most boring draw ever seen at Leicester and then we get a proper rest with any old team thrown together for the LASK game.

Matst1

I have no idea why we're so disappointed by that result. The performance, yes, but that was expected against a West Ham side who've had extra rest and nothing to lose with Moyes trying to feck our CL hopes. They beat Chelsea twice this season, too.

But the result was brilliant. It was apparent that we wouldn't be putting 3 or 4 past them early on given how they were defending, so the best we could hope for was to not lose, which we didn't. We're in third and just need to not lose against Leicester as well.

The performance looked particularly bad because both our back up full backs were absolutely terrible and Rashford and Greenwood kept cutting into a crowded midfield. In the second half, I'm just glad we didn't concede in the last 20 minutes.

As for the Leicester game, sure there will be nerves, but at least Wan Bissaka and Shaw will hopefully be ready and fresh, since we tend to have good games when they do.

One last good performance on Sunday, and we're through.
/Thread

King Eric 7

I don't think West Ham were actually that good. We were just so bloody awful it was unbelievable. I mean, they didn't come to us like Southampton did and play quite well. They were there for the taking and we were just too gassed to do anything about it.

sparx99

Well that was the least surprising thing ever. The players who looked completely overworked and done against Chelsea STILL looked completely done. The squad management in that game looks more and more dubious, and playing Bruno for 100+ minutes against Chelsea looks criminally negligent.

I really really really hope United don't try to set up to defend against Leicester, because that way disaster lies.
Rather than the Chelsea selection in isolation I think a bit more rotation throughout would have been better.

AndersB

Seems to me that the main tactic in that game was to conserve as much energy as possible while not losing considering we have another game in 4 days time against a team who will have had a full week off.
Only a minimum 3 goal winning margin today would have made any difference to what Leicester need to do at the weekend, which was not likely against West Ham. As it is, Leicester need to win by any margin, which is exactly the same as what they would have needed to do had we won by 1 or 2 goals.
That was certainly not the tactic, just a somewhat fortunate result of it all. Bruno played 90 minutes and looked absolutely shattered. Both he and Rashford got a yellow due to mental fatigue and frustration. We were lacking both mentally and physically, and it's not particularly surprising.

It's concerning that there is suddenly zero faith in players who were touted by many as our best performers earlier this season (Fred and McT), in a situation where it is blatantly obvious we have to rotate. At home to fecking West Ham.

mattsville

Pathetic performance, no urgency or energy given what is at stake, no movement up front, when the ball went into attackers feet they quickly gave it back to where it came from instead of turning on it and trying to to play, the amount of simple passes that were misplaced all over the pitch was incredible, Rsshford, Martial, Pogba? It's gone to shit... Again

kidbob

As bad as I've seen from us since Christmas, at least Chelsea and Southampton are good sides. We'll need a huge performance at Leicester and I don't know if we have the legs or mentality to do it.

PS: we should be seriously looking at Declan Rice, he's become a very good player and we need that type of player in midfield.

PPS: can Noble ever feck off and retire already.

Our sub squad is amazing. When we win, Ole will use all 5 subs. When we lose, he doesnt even dare to replace any players, except for Ighalo, a loan player.

What does that say about our subs?
There is a lot of dead wood in the squad. It's reported Ole wants at least six out in the summer, and we will be trying to upgrade with three or four very good signings. Easier said than done of course, but Ole knows the squad isn't good enough. We don't currently have the strength in depth required to be a top team.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
Rather than the Chelsea selection in isolation I think a bit more rotation throughout would have been better.
Its hindsight though isn't it. Who knows whether we'd be 3rd now if we played around with the starting XI. Let's just keep things in perspective, look at where we are right now and we'll quickly realise that we'd have been delighted with this position before the restart

Flexdegea

Against Brighton. Since then we've been steadily getting worse all over the pitch, including our attack. We're mostly slow, sloppy, and laboured.

Ok we are going to get hammered, we cant do anything anymore,.......

RedDevilRoshi

I don't think West Ham were actually that good. We were just so bloody awful it was unbelievable. I mean, they didn't come to us like Southampton did and play quite well. They were there for the taking and we were just too gassed to do anything about it.
That’s why I’m extremely pissed off about tonight. They were nothing special yet, we bottled it and dropped down to their level.

RedTiger

Half mast
Its hindsight though isn't it. Who knows whether we'd be 3rd now if we played around with the starting XI. Let's just keep things in perspective, look at where we are right now and we'll quickly realise that we'd have been delighted with this position before the restart
Of course we're in a better position than before the start but the lost opportunities and dropped points is maddening

Borys

Statistics Wizard
It's concerning that there is suddenly zero faith in players who were touted by many as our best performers earlier this season (Fred and McT), in a situation where it is blatantly obvious we have to rotate. At home to fecking West Ham.
Good point. It seems to me like we are too afraid to play quicker and risk loosing the ball because our midfield looks knackered. We would be a better team with Fred and McTominay energy at this point.

FreakyJim

90% of teams play better football than us
People saying a win wouldn't have mattered - well, it would've. Chelsea would've had to win vs Wolves and could've slipped, unlikely but it's still pressure to win. Now they only need a draw. (if they lose vs liverpool)

madzo2007

Not if we had won tonight, too many are saying this was a great result when we could have put massive pressure on Chelsea. We would have been on 65 points which would have required Chelsea to win at least one of their final games and they have tougher games than us.
We don't want to have to rely on Wolves beating Chelsea, if Chelsea do lose both then yes you are right but if they don't, United winning or drawing tonight still meant we need a result against Leicester.

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
Its hindsight though isn't it. Who knows whether we'd be 3rd now if we played around with the starting XI.
No - everyone with half a brain was saying rest the first XI before the Chelsea game.

UnitedChampionsAgain

Never seen such lethargy from a group of professional athletes. If that game had been played under water it wouldn't have been any slower. Champions League obviously means nothing to that shower and if they don't give a damn anymore then neither do i ..

Judas

Open to offers
The saddest thing about tonight result is I don't feel that bad because I'm honestly not surprised. When it comes to the crunch, we don't have the bottle. I will be gobsmacked if we do what we need to on Sunday to get in the CL.

acnumber9

Ok you’re right. Sack ole sell Rashford.

get in the phone to Ed lad you’ve got all the answers. I reckon with you at the helm we’d be well clear
Yeah, that’s what I said. Never mind the vast middle ground between that and ‘there’s we could’ve hoped to do differently tonight.’ Child.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
Of course we're in a better position than before the start but the lost opportunities and dropped points is maddening
Thats football though. Everyone drops points. We've handled these 8 games better than any other team in the league. We cant afford to be this spoilt fanbase that would only be happy with winning every single game. Its not reality.

sparx99

Yeah I know. I just never like the idea of no changes because when an injury happens or games pile up everyone is lacking fitness and match sharpness.

Fred and McTominay have looked very poor since the restart but they haven’t had a chance to find any rhythm either.

ManUtd1999

Pathetic performance, no urgency or energy given what is at stake, no movement up front, when the ball went into attackers feet they quickly gave it back to where it came from instead of turning on it and trying to to play, the amount of simple passes that were misplaced all over the pitch was incredible, Rsshford, Martial, Pogba? It's gone to shit... Again
For some reason, today in particular, I got the feeling that the players tried, but they couldn't get the job done. The team is tired. They have played many games recently after a long abrupt pause in activity and training.

edgecutter

We don't want to have to rely on Wolves beating Chelsea, if Chelsea do lose both then yes you are right but if they don't, United winning or drawing tonight still meant we need a result against Leicester.
If we had won tonight, 2 draws wouldn't even been enough for Chelsea to over take us, tonight's result mattered.

Rash Decision

not to use the cream
A very worrying trend has developed over the last three fixtures. We're no longer able to maintain control of the game or raise our speed at will. We let teams come onto us and impose their game and we go behind and have to raise our game for a 10/15 minute spell and score. We then proceed to drop off again.

This team is knackered and I just can't see us getting the required result against a rested Leicester.
Many factors involved, tiredness being only one of them.

Our best performances came immediately post-break against poor teams in poor form. Teams who sat back in fear of our fabled midfield duo and devastating attacking trio, namely Sheffield United and Brighton.

Bournemouth only knows how to attack. Attacked us and pushed us to commit silly errors. Luckily they couldn't defend. Was the last of our really good performances. Even then our goals were near-worldies and a penalty.

Villa pressed us early and were on top until we got a lucky penalty. After that we took control.

Southampton demonstrated how easily our rhythm gets disrupted by a good organised press.

Chelsea were just superior to us in terms of controlling the game, as they have been all season. This time we didn't get a result against them.

In short, I don't think we've been as good as we looked in the initial few games post-restart. Good in spurts certainly, but our ability to control a match is still very much in doubt.

fps

Who is voting for Maguire to be MoM! He is once again useless on the ball and thinks he’s beckenbauer.

All of our defenders need to be on a 3 touch rule max

matic needs to be told not to dribble towards pogba

I still Believe we are only a couple players away but they need to be quality, the Lindelofs and maguires are decent players but we need a top player back their to bridge the gap to city.

on a brighter note can we all just take a breath and see that we are 3rd in the table and only need to avoid defeat against a very under performing Leicester
I voted Maguire for Motm. It wasn’t a great field. But he was rock solid, organised, calm in possession, aggressive in the challenge when he needed to be, and West Ham got nothing out of the centre of defence.

sparx99

We’ve got a great opportunity on Sunday to play cautiously and pick Leicester off on the break. Not having to chase the game is a big advantage.

Siorac

Not quite: had we won today, two Chelsea draws would have meant we finish ahead of them.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
No - everyone with half a brain was saying rest the first XI before the Chelsea game.
Half the fanbase would have wanted that. The other half would have wanted us to go for a very winnable trophy. It is what it is

SirScholes

I voted Maguire for Motm. It wasn’t a great field. But he was rock solid, organised, calm in possession, aggressive in the challenge when he needed to be, and West Ham got nothing out of the centre of defence.
He gave the ball away so much and when he wasn’t doing that was effing around too long.
He kills our attack before he gets going

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Of course its Ole fault, but this result is also for all those fans who gave it the "We're Man United, win the FA Cup" blah, demanding we play key players. Thats worked out well didn't it.

This draw is on Ole. Should have played the full 2nd XI vs Chelsea.

We are now demoralised and dead on our feet.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
Yeah I know. I just never like the idea of no changes because when an injury happens or games pile up everyone is lacking fitness and match sharpness.

Fred and McTominay have looked very poor since the restart but they haven’t had a chance to find any rhythm either.
Its a very brave manager that changes a team that is winning games with ease, particularly at this stage of a season where every game is crucial

Player Ratings

5.2 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 303 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • West Ham win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 18% Man Utd 2:0 West Ham
  • 17% Man Utd 3:0 West Ham