PL D FA Premier League

Manchester United 1:1 West Ham United

Post-match discussion

Wed, 22 July 2020

fps

Good point. It seems to me like we are too afraid to play quicker and risk loosing the ball because our midfield looks knackered. We would be a better team with Fred and McTominay energy at this point.
In today’s match, given the limited role Pogba played, I agree that recycling could have been done by McTominay or Fred.

Greck

Result is a step forward, performance was a step back especially within the context of our bottling the last couple games and history of false dawns. The free scoring team we hailed suddenly disappeared when the games started to count. They have reverted to soiling themselves when pressed, getting outplayed by lesser teams and misplacing passes. We'll see what happens on Sunday

fps

He gave the ball away so much and when he wasn’t doing that was effing around too long.
He kills our attack before he gets going
I don’t remember him giving the ball away a lot, but there we are.

Abhinav

Not if we had won tonight, too many are saying this was a great result when we could have put massive pressure on Chelsea. We would have been on 65 points which would have required Chelsea to win at least one of their final games and they have tougher games than us.
Exactly. We missed a trick by not pushing for the win. Had we won and Chelsea lose against liverpool, Chelsea would have to go out against a very compact Wolves and try and get a win. As it is now, all they need to do is to get a draw at their home ground. We let them off the hook and will now be under tremendous pressure against Leicester.

RikRuud

Clearly knackered but you need to dig deeper in a game like this. Poor performances all over the pitch.

sparx99

Its a very brave manager that changes a team that is winning games with ease, particularly at this stage of a season where every game is crucial
Yeah that’s true but all of the top teams do it except for a few key players. It’s the difference between Madrid winning the league over Barca this year. Fred and McTominay had earnt some trust this season. Admittedly the rest of our depth is rather lacking.

sparx99

Exactly. We missed a trick by not pushing for the win. Had we won and Chelsea lose against liverpool, Chelsea would have to go out against a very compact Wolves and try and get a win. As it is now, all they need to do is to get a draw at their home ground. We let them off the hook and will now be under tremendous pressure against Leicester.
Leicester also have that same pressure at least if not more as they have to win

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Think it'll come back to haunt us.

K_Ash

3 full days of "rest" until Leicester. We are going to be okay. Paul and many them have been dead-tired out there

Rolaholic

Liverpool are currently smashing Chelsea and they still have to face Wolves...

Anyone saying a win today wouldn't have changed anything is dense

HackeyC

Liverpool are currently smashing Chelsea and they still have to face Wolves...

Anyone saying a win today wouldn't have changed anything is dense
Exactly, it meant that Chelsea had to win one of their games.

ManUArfa

I have no idea why we're so disappointed by that result. The performance, yes, but that was expected against a West Ham side who've had extra rest and nothing to lose with Moyes trying to feck our CL hopes. They beat Chelsea twice this season, too.

But the result was brilliant. It was apparent that we wouldn't be putting 3 or 4 past them early on given how they were defending, so the best we could hope for was to not lose, which we didn't. We're in third and just need to not lose against Leicester as well.

The performance looked particularly bad because both our back up full backs were absolutely terrible and Rashford and Greenwood kept cutting into a crowded midfield. In the second half, I'm just glad we didn't concede in the last 20 minutes.

As for the Leicester game, sure there will be nerves, but at least Wan Bissaka and Shaw will hopefully be ready and fresh, since we tend to have good games when they do.

One last good performance on Sunday, and we're through.

I wonder if the plan was simply not to over commit full backs, no carrying from deep and not to lose. Leicester will have to come at us which then plays in to our hands....

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
Yeah that’s true but all of the top teams do it except for a few key players. It’s the difference between Madrid winning the league over Barca this year. Fred and McTominay had earnt some trust this season. Admittedly the rest of our depth is rather lacking.
Yes, and that's the whole thing though isnt it. We have drastically improved our first XI this year, but our squad depth is still very much a work in progress. Very few players that can come in without a noticeable drop in quality. We have to address that this summer so that we can push on.

OneUnited24

Yeah, that’s what I said. Never mind the vast middle ground between that and ‘there’s we could’ve hoped to do differently tonight.’ Child.
I know. I’m agreeing with you. Get on the phone lad. I believe in you

Borys

Statistics Wizard
In today’s match, given the limited role Pogba played, I agree that recycling could have been done by McTominay or Fred.
What we want from player playing between Matic and Bruno is The Question. Personally I'd rather have box to box player, even if it weakens out attack (which is good enough anyway). What we need badly is some control and confidence in midfield.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
I have no idea why we're so disappointed by that result. The performance, yes, but that was expected against a West Ham side who've had extra rest and nothing to lose with Moyes trying to feck our CL hopes. They beat Chelsea twice this season, too.

But the result was brilliant. It was apparent that we wouldn't be putting 3 or 4 past them early on given how they were defending, so the best we could hope for was to not lose, which we didn't. We're in third and just need to not lose against Leicester as well.

The performance looked particularly bad because both our back up full backs were absolutely terrible and Rashford and Greenwood kept cutting into a crowded midfield. In the second half, I'm just glad we didn't concede in the last 20 minutes.

As for the Leicester game, sure there will be nerves, but at least Wan Bissaka and Shaw will hopefully be ready and fresh, since we tend to have good games when they do.

One last good performance on Sunday, and we're through.
Can't speak for others. I'm dissapointed because we used a knackered full strength team against a relegation team at home. Then they still gave a lackluster performance for a Draw.

I have no idea why would people be satisfied with the result either.

Last edited:

DarkRed

In my opinion it is not about fatigue, I mean the coaching staff would be the first to know if it is.
It's just that Rashford and Pogba never got in any sort of form, coming back from the injury (today a rookie completely stopped Rashford).
If Bruno is not pulling the game on his own, it is on Martial to create and he did his part very good.
It is sort of a gamble, because if Pogba or Rashford would show up we will crush any opponent.

Plus,it looks that after we got that penalty, the referees give all 50/50 calls against us...

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
If we had won tonight then Chelsea would have needed to beat Wolves on Sunday. Now they just need to draw if we lose to Leicester. That's pretty big as I can see both those things happening.

Genuinely think Ole should go if we do not qualify.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
In my opinion it is not about fatigue, I mean the coaching staff would be the first to know if it is.
It's just that Rashford and Pogba never got in any sort of form, coming back from the injury (today a rookie completely stopped Rashford).
If Bruno is not pulling the game on his own, it is on Martial to create and he did his part very good.
It is sort of a gamble, because if Pogba or Rashford would show up we will crush any opponent.

Plus,it looks that after we got that penalty, the referees give all 50/50 calls against us...
So how would you explain our players being slow to close down, lacking energy, making sloppy passes and actually just looking tired?

I don't know how anyone can look at that today and not think it was a tired and laboured performance. We played that second half at walking pace and created next to nothing after we scored.

TheReligion

Abusive
I'm fuming with the lads I really am. And with Ole to be honest. We tossed away the FA cup for that tonight? Feck me.

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
I'm fuming with the lads I really am. And with Ole to be honest. We tossed away the FA cup for that tonight? Feck me.
I don't blame the players. They are exhausted and they don't have a good enough system of play to keep them in contention when they run out of inspiration.

DarkRed

So how would you explain our players being slow to close down, lacking energy, making sloppy passes and actually just looking tired?

I don't know how anyone can look at that today and not think it was a tired and laboured performance. We played that second half at walking pace and created next to nothing after we scored.
Lacking energy is mainly Pogba and Rashford, maybe Bruno too but not like those two, rest of them did okay.
Fullbacks never really contribute offensively.

TheReligion

Abusive
I don't blame the players. They are exhausted and they don't have a good enough system of play to keep them in contention when they run out of inspiration.
Ole should have rotated more I agree. He's played a few of them into the ground and no idea why.

TheReligion

Abusive
Me neither. I think he is just not very good at some things.
He's got a bit carried away I feel and been asking players how they feel rather than managing them himself. Pogba and Bruno have started too many games as has Rashford. He should have been easing them in and out using Fred Mctominay and Ighalo to drop in.

King7Eric

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
With the performance of Rashford today, James could've been a serious rise in quality.
Scott for Pogba I saw it obvious.
Lindeloff for litterally anyone
Before the game there had been so many people writing Ole mustn't play James because he's a Championship player and what not. Hindsight is always 20-20.

davidmichael

Tonight we were pathetic and there’s not one single player tonight outside of Greenwood came out with any credit and nor did Ole, West Ham deserved to beat us tonight and they dominated large spells of the match which at Old Trafford is simply unacceptable.

Wan-Bissaka has somehow managed to turn into Lukaku with his touch and the ball at his feet, Williams looked his age, Lindelof and Maguire spent most of the game passing to each other, Fernandes looked tired, Pogba reverted to usual United form, Matic wanted more time that he had on the ball, Rashford was awful and Martial was barely involved.

If we play like that against Leicester then they’re going to score at least once against us as Vardy is one of the best goal scorers in the league and then we’d have to chase the game, I can only hope that Ole gives the players an entire day off before Sunday because they looked exhausted physically and mentally.

DRJosh

Supports
United minus the Glazers
Gross overreactions by some on here (as expected).
Disappointing result but I still see a much improved (although knackered) United side. There were promising passages of play and Greenwood clearly has a long United future ahead of him. Martial’s technical skill and awareness is quite a joy to watch. I’m actually excited for next season with some added reinforcements.

We need a RB, CB and possibly Sancho.

fps

What we want from player playing between Matic and Bruno is The Question. Personally I'd rather have box to box player, even if it weakens out attack (which is good enough anyway). What we need badly is some control and confidence in midfield.
It’ll be interesting to see how Ole shapes McTominay’s role as it develops in future.

joker00

Before the game there had been so many people writing Ole mustn't play James because he's a Championship player and what not. Hindsight is always 20-20.
I've never been one of them, and even if, by the 60th minute, it became a reality that a "good enough" player is a beter option than an out of shape prime one, so therefore, a James is better than a "lost on the field" Rashford .. and a Mata than a finished Fernandes..

Paul the Wolf

France - can't win anything with Swedish turnips
Look at Chelsea still fighting against Liverpool in the 70th minute with spirit and we're excusing this lot for bottling it against the likes of West ham and Soton. We've all played the same number of games. Losing is one thing but doing so while cracking under pressure is another
I'm sure if we were losing 5-3 to Liverpool you'd be saying how wonderful we are, we've all played the same number of games and we're ahead of Chelsea and Leicester. Hope you enjoy supporting Chelsea next season, don't come back.

Djemba-Djemba

I'm sure if we were losing 5-3 to Liverpool you'd be saying how wonderful we are, we've all played the same number of games and we're ahead of Chelsea and Leicester. Hope you enjoy supporting Chelsea next season, don't come back.
It's so transparent isn't it.

If we were getting beaten 5-3 by Liverpool he'd be posting Ole out and saying how shit we are. I'm sick of how miserable this place gets whenever we don't win.

yumtum

DUX' bumchum
Not being funny, but we could have put the top four race to bed for us tonight against a West Ham side who were all but safe (huge goal difference) but we've shit our collective pants again, wouldn't surprise me one bit to see this team getting spanked by Leicester City and Chelsea cruise through Wolves.

Spineless is the appropriate word to describe this set of players.

Remind me of Arsenal under Wenger way too much for my liking.

Player Ratings

5.2 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 303 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • West Ham win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 18% Man Utd 2:0 West Ham
  • 17% Man Utd 3:0 West Ham