PL W FA Premier League

West Ham United 1:2 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Sun, 19 September 2021

Waynne

West Ham hardly had a sniff mate. We dominated most of the game.
When you give away possession so easily and so basically (like not being able to make a simple 5 yard pass) against quality opposition you get punished.
There were times WH made 3 - 4 simple passes after we've given the ball away and they were in or around our penalty area.
Against better teams this is dangerous.
Like I said before, the way which we gave up possession so easily today is concerning.

mav_9me

Best performance of the season for me that. Everything went against us and we still came away from a tough away game with a win.

If we can upgrade Fred or McT, we'll be a powerhouse of a team
Exactly we dont even need to get 2 CMs right away. One proper CM would change the game for us. Hopefully the other can be Mejbri.

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
Fred had a poor game which led to few sacre. Apart from that West Ham did feck all.

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
Feel for the Cafe tonight, Lingard comes on instead of the beloved Donny and scores the winner.

Pre-prepared posts deleted all over the place.
WTF are you bullshitting about? Lingard was brought on as a winger. He doesn't play the same position as Fred or Lingard. Sit down, you have no idea what you are talking about.

RedDevilUnited369

Levels of satisfaction seeing De Gea save that after the sub was euphoric..

Great win. A title winning win.

You see those sought of wins from title winning teams.

BorisManUtd

What an ending, thank you Lingard and De Gea, made my weekend better. Think we did enough to win, their goal was a deflection (that and Lingard backpass vs Young Boys seems to be some kind of karma for our lucky win against Wolves, thankfully didn't cost us today).

Good performance, West Ham away is not an easy one at all. Such a relief after that loss in Champions League.

gorky_utd

We need an improvement over Fred. Otherwise good performance in a tough away fixture.

gerdm07

Thinks we should have kept Pereira
- Ronaldo is the man. Could have scored another. Unlike him to miss that sitter.
- Defense still very hollow. Every time West Ham attacked i was clinching my buttcheeks
- Greenwood passes well to Ronaldo, Ronaldo needs to sometimes pass to Greenwood.
- Pogba was unusually bad today. Maybe tired? Maybe upset at Fred and how much he sucks?
- Fred absolutely aweful. Big liability both going forward and defending. He fights, but lack of skill is so evident this season. He is so much worse this season than last few seasons. What the heck is the reason for such decline? Most evident problem is his lack of pace, probably because he is not fit enough. That translates then into terrible passing and terrible positioning. Not sure what can be done about him.
- Lingrad. Great bounceback. Very important goal for him. Even if the game was draw at the end this game would be huge positive for Lingrad.
- Macguire needs to get his sh1t together. Terrible passing today.
- Shaw... There is a reason why players keep their arms behind their body when blocking crosses. Could have cost us the game. I know it is a harsh penalty, but it is almost always given!

Overall conclusion: There are some positives from this game, but our midfield is till incapable of grabbing the control of the game. It is a huge problem and without reliable midfield you can't win titles. Even Pogba was bad today. Huge problem that Ole needs to solve. If we can't get the DM, we need to create formation to mask that huge lack of cohesion we have in the midfield.
Pogba was really good in the 1st half no question. His fatigue definitely affected the 2nd half.

Okey

Maybe there is justice in the world after all. After the horrible no-call on Ronaldo, what a time for Big Dave to finally save a pen! Great 3 points. Yeah we're still riddled with problems but on we move!

rooney2009

Why are people having a go at Fred again
We just seem to pick on a player
Last season it was Martial this season it’s Fred
We totally controlled and bossed that game today especially in Midfield and West Ham only used counter attacks and long balls to bypass the midfield
We almost always win with the MCFred combo and I’m always happy when they are both starting especially in big games and away from home

Redlyn

Bringing on Mark Noble to rub the last minute penalty and draw in your face. Such a West Ham thing to do.

Feck you Hammer twats
Feck you David Moyes
Feck you Pigged out Noble

And Jesse of all people scoring when they didn't thibk he was worth 25M

Happy days :drool:
Moyes said he discussed with Ole early in the window and he was told he wasnt going to be sold. Believable since we offered him a new contract.

Rustyspider13

Football, bloody hell.

At 1-1, I had accepted that today was just one of those days. The players played well but deflections, good defending from Zouma and heroic keeping meant that we'd only get a draw. Then Lingard demolished his demons. There may have been a bit of sentiment involved in putting him on, but it shows how faith in a player can be repaid. So, so happy for Jesse.

But the spotlight goes to DDG. He saved not only the 3 points but also prevented the team going into a downward spiral after that horrible CL loss. Huge moment for him and the team. You can see from the celebration how much it meant to them, especially after that EL loss.

Lastly, feck Atkinson.

Djcoops54

One of the most corrupt matches I have ever watched. Two stone wall penalties for United (both challenges on Ronaldo). I cannot for the life in me see how they weren’t given. Luckily Moyes and DDG saved the day. I would have been fuming if we wouldn’t have won that.

Wing Attack Plan R

Agree with all that except for Mctominay, who was clearly unfit and shouldn't have started.

Shaw definitely deserves a mention for his corners today, they were excellent. He seems to have mastered the inswinging delivery that has eluded God knows how many United players before him.
Yep, McT didn't look match fit but what were our other options? Ole clearly doesn't trust VDB and Matic would have been a liability. I think VDB would have been a better option for subbing on than Matic. Maybe Ole went for experience? Fred has to go though.

Toad

He was pretty poor today and he easily could have given up a penalty on another day. The main thing for him is that he just offers no threat going forward.
We clearly weren’t watching the same match. He was good going forward, made an amazing block and just solid all round..

TheReligion

Abusive
Thoughts:

* We deserved the win.

* We don't have the concentration as a team to play patient build up football.

* Fred is a huge weak spot in a key area.

I feel this team might win a trophy this season but I'm still unconvinced we can win the league over a period because of the weak area in the middle of the pitch. We always give whatever team we play a chance as we lose the ball in that area frequently and struggle to progress it effectively.

Great result though and happy to see de Gea pull off such a save at the end.

IncyWincySpider

If we end up winning the league by two points I will remember that penalty save by DDG and it will more than make up for the Europa final shambles.

We played pretty well at times I thought, definite signs of the team on the pitch starting to live up to the potential promised by its individual parts. We deserved to win on balance of play anyway.

Really pleased for Lingard.

Reactions: Penna

Chairman Steve

We looked dangerous going forward towards the end of the first half, but we looked quite flat in the second half.

West Ham chances were quite few and far between, especially in the second half. Pretty sure most of those few chances came off our errors.

mav_9me

As I am one of those not convinced by Ole, and actually belive he can't win us the title, I have to give a lot of credit to him for the win today.

The key for me was Matic, he was the one with a delicious pass thru the lines into Lingard in a dangerous position. That was the sub along with Lingard obviously that won us the game.

This win is all due to Ole/Lingard/DdG.

Fts 74

We never make it easy do we!

I can't stand West Ham and it was justice that Mr average sorry I mean Mr West Ham noble missed the penalty.

Not a great performance but we thoroughly deserved the win absolutely buzzing!

lex talionis

Individual brilliance once again. We may not have any coherence to our play, but we have the players to come up with moments of brilliance.

BuzzKillington

Thought Fred did ok today, despite the consensus. Couple of stray passes but everybody in the midfield on both sides were guilty of that.

Didn’t think any of the penalties for us were penalties, I thought the defender held his leg out for the first one and Ronnie went looking for it. You see them given sometimes, sometimes not. I prefer it when the ref doesn’t give them but would like it if they applied that across the board rather than just against us. The second one was a nothing penalty shout. For the third penalty I thought Ronnie was already going down before Zouma started his slide. I did think West Ham’s penalty was a penalty, so no complaints there, but chuffed to bits Noble of all people fecked it up.

Penalties aside it was the right result, and chuffed de Gea finally saved a penalty. Probably won’t see that again for a couple of years, so I’ll treasure it.

Wing Attack Plan R

Scruffy second half. West Ham were there for the taking and we didn't do enough. Passing again lacklustre, it needs to improve fast.

All that said a hugely positive result and the manner it arrived was amazing. Lingard coming off the bench to score a beauty at West Ham, no pens for us, they get a crawpy one right near the end, they send Mr Hammer on to take it who's not missed a penalty since Adam was a pup, De Gea decides to make a wonderful save. Unbelievable.

We need to ride this positive wave all the way. We're showing the kind of balls we showed last season away from home and if we can just smarten up our act we could be in business this year.
I think you're right about the positivity. This had draw written all over it, to pick up all 3 points def keeps us in it. Last season or the one before the heads would have dropped, just lacking that extra spark. Now we have serial winner Ronaldo with 4 in 3. He's making it happen, and belief is rampant.

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
If we end up winning the league by two points I will remember that penalty save by DDG and it will more than make up for the Europa final shambles.

We played pretty well at times I thought, definite signs of the team on the pitch starting to live up to the potential promised by its individual parts. We deserved to win on balance of play anyway.

Really pleased for Lingard.
Similarly, if we win the league by thin margin, we will remember Lingard's screamer 2nd goal today and won't care for him gifting the second goal to Young Boys (even if it costs us UCL)

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.
We had the most shots on target than any team this season - away from home at a top 6 side - and should have had at least one pen and a few more goals. Anyone who thinks we were poor today can fecking do one. Seriously.

Having said that this team needs to learn when to go for the kill in games. For the first 20 minutes of the 2nd half the game was there for us to go for the throat - we were absolutely dominating them and we just still seem to miss something in those moments. Similar to Southampton in a way. That’s the final thing this team needs in terms of mentality - sensing when to finish it - I still think we drift too much at times.

Banana Republic

When we’ve all calmed down and properly analyse our performance today, there are still some serious problems with the way we’re try to play and in the limitations of what was one of our better starting line ups.
Another slow, ponderous game, lacking in drive, intensity and urgency in the build up.

OK, so we ground out a hard earned win, it’s still early in the season and we faced a crooked ref and all that, but we still have the serious problem of too many of our attacking midfield players and forwards having poor, or no defensive abilities.
The lack of proper pressing or attempts to stop the opposition building up from the back and midfield, ranges from lame to pathetic, most of the time.
The same when we are defending deep and these players not doing anything to ease the pressure, or break the opposition’s momentum. When they are bothered to try, it’s usually half-arsed.
You can forgive each individual player in isolation for being weak in this area, but you can’t field 4 front players like that at the same time.
Bringing in a top CDM on its own won’t fix that issue.

Someone

Something
Great win that will do the team a lot of good. We dominated the game and they had luck and the ref on their side. The penalty was a brain fart from Shaw but it made the win even more special.

Player Ratings

6.4 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 426 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • West Ham win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 28% West Ham 1:2 Man Utd
  • 15% West Ham 0:2 Man Utd