PL W FA Premier League

West Ham United 1:2 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Sun, 19 September 2021

Lord Zlatan

First, well I turned off the TV soon as it was decided they got the pen. As much as I've been saying DDG is going to have a monster of a season for us, when it comes to pens, didn't have an ounce of of confidence of a save. Can it feel this good to be soooo wrong? The penalty was a clear pen though for them but, it should likely have been 3-1 at that point as it was as blatant a penalty right before.

And freakin' Atkinson and VAR, what the bloody hell. They've really gone extreme the other way this season with not awarding penalties for what was obvious pen.

As for rest of our performance, I thought we played some very good football at times. Fabianski made some very good stops. However, was baffled why again with a bench like ours, it takes so long to make a change to give them moretime to make an impact. Lingard did just that but, left it really late. I am not sure what Ole was watching with Scott, why he stayed on the pitch I have no idea. He wasn't prompting anything nor was he covering that great. Should have kept Pogba on instead. He also subbed on Matic to not lose - it was a moment of brilliance from Jesse that won the game.

As for Jesse, so very happy for him.
:D Thats sound a bit like me turning off all media when i thought Ronaldo was going to City. People were texting me saying what do you think now and I pied them.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Can't believe we didn't get at least one pen today. Looks like refs have decided that they will not give Ronaldo any penalties, so defenders can hack him down in full flow. This is England after all :

Stonewall pens not given today, and makes it so much sweeter that De Gea finally saved one tonight. I couldn't believe what I saw. Had to watch it again!
I agree. Ref was shite wasn’t he.

DSG

Much has been said about the refereeing — absolutely appalling. VAR, too. The Brighton v Leicester refereeing + VAR was just as bad, if not worse.

We created a lot of chances, and on another day it could have been 5-0. Deflected shot from outside the box wrong foots De Gea… West Ham really didn’t create that much IMHO.

Maguire had a rare off game in distribution and some worrying moments. It’s so exciting to see Varane on the ball. True class — he’s better with the ball at his feet than Maguire, which is saying something.

McFred….well, McTominay was a bit rusty, but had some nice balls into the channels, some through balls and a few mistakes. Fred is basically a ball winning 8, for those who are expecting him to develop or perform as a classy Casemiro type 6, well, it ain’t going to happen. Saw some on the Caf slagging Ole for bringing on Matic… It’s actually a smart sub at that point. We were pressing forward, it gave us more height on set pieces, both defending and attacking, and he’s much better than Fred at distribution and recycling possession.

I don’t get the criticism of Bruno. The Caf wants perfection and I understand that, but blimey, he’s a winner and at the heart of our play in the final 3rd. Ronaldo, what can you say?

Ole got his subs right. Sancho allowed us to play in tight spaces a bit more as West Ham were packed in. Jesse provided a burst of energy and movement which we know is his strength.

West Ham is a pretty damn good team. They don’t have superstars in attack, but they are well organized, gritty and have a high work rate. I said two years ago that Declan Rice would be playing CB in two years because he didn’t have the skill or agility to be a solid DM. Well, I was wrong. He would fit well into our side. He’s not a Kante type cover DM, nor a do-everything Kimmich DM, but he’s really solid. He doesn’t make mistakes, he has great positioning and is a physical presence.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
Matic’s pass to Lingard for the goal is either underrated or I’m just too used to seeing our midfielders miss it.

Barthez

Some of you absolute toxic whiners in the GDT can absolutely go feck off.
Absolutely shocking isn’t it. I’ve never seen on any forum so many ungrateful little whiners as on here. I really don’t understand how they can even support the club with such a negative outlook on literally everything.

Coleyoscar

Played against 12 players today. So fair fecks to the lads for getting the result
Shame that these poor performances by officials don't seem to attract any media attention unless they are deemed to favour United. Interesting that Pogba's tackle on Ruben Neves at Wolves recently was replayed in slow motion 18 times on Sky; I wonder if Pogba's tackle on Zouma or Ronaldo's stonewall penalty at the death will receive similar coverage.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Winning it like that. F-k me. The referee. If that Noble penalty had gone in 30 seconds after Ronaldo should've had one. Bloody hell. Big Dave!

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
Much has been said about the refereeing — absolutely appalling. VAR, too. The Brighton v Leicester refereeing + VAR was just as bad, if not worse.

We created a lot of chances, and on another day it could have been 5-0. Deflected shot from outside the box wrong foots De Gea… West Ham really didn’t create that much IMHO.

Maguire had a rare off game in distribution and some worrying moments. It’s so exciting to see Varane on the ball. True class — he’s better with the ball at his feet than Maguire, which is saying something.

McFred….well, McTominay was a bit rusty, but had some nice balls into the channels, some through balls and a few mistakes. Fred is basically a ball winning 8, for those who are expecting him to develop or perform as a classy Casemiro type 6, well, it ain’t going to happen. Saw some on the Caf slagging Ole for bringing on Matic… It’s actually a smart sub at that point. We were pressing forward, it gave us more height on set pieces, both defending and attacking, and he’s much better than Fred at distribution and recycling possession.

I don’t get the criticism of Bruno. The Caf wants perfection and I understand that, but blimey, he’s a winner and at the heart of our play in the final 3rd. Ronaldo, what can you say?

Ole got his subs right. Sancho allowed us to play in tight spaces a bit more as West Ham were packed in. Jesse provided a burst of energy and movement which we know is his strength.

West Ham is a pretty damn good team. They don’t have superstars in attack, but they are well organized, gritty and have a high work rate. I said two years ago that Declan Rice would be playing CB in two years because he didn’t have the skill or agility to be a solid DM. Well, I was wrong. He would fit well into our side. He’s not a Kante type cover DM, nor a do-everything Kimmich DM, but he’s really solid. He doesn’t make mistakes, he has great positioning and is a physical presence.
Good summary. I'll just add Pogba and Mason had good first halves but tailed off second half. AWB had a good game while Shaw was below par. De Gea was great and looks rejuvinated.

Esquire

We clearly weren’t watching the same match. He was good going forward, made an amazing block and just solid all round..
I think you definitely were. My rating for him was 6. Avg of the caf was 6. Wondering what rating you gave him then.

laughtersassassin

My emotions are all out of whack. Delighted with the win and at the same time so angry at the ref.

Would have loved a Bruno or Ronaldo goal from a penalty

Litch

Absolutely shocking isn’t it. I’ve never seen on any forum so many ungrateful little whiners as on here. I really don’t understand how they can even support the club with such a negative outlook on literally everything.
Make you right.....

laughtersassassin

Welcome back McFred.
Was hardly great was it? Had its positives an negatives as per.

I want to see Pogba and McTominay. They've been the best performing in the two so far this season.

Plus with Rashford coming back we got too many attackers

RedorDead21

Interesting if Ronaldo means a lot less pens for us. Seems refs ain’t as likely to believe him…

g11

Welcome back McFred.
this is my biggest issue with Ole - playing both Fred and McTominey slows us down and hampers our attacking. Fred is just a clueless headless chicken with limitless energy. Moyes actually had the perfect gameplan against us today - we created very little with all the possession that we had.

Still ill

Fantasy Football Champ 2018
I missed the game, caught a bit on the radio, sounded like we played plenty of good football but man, this is a beautiful clip. That looks like a squad that is together. I'm over the moon for Dave and Jesse. We need everyone contributing if we're to be in with a shout this year. I mean really, could it have worked out better? Ref against us, a bit of siege mentality, 2 lads on the receiving end from the boo boys of late performing last minute heroics? Brilliant win. Keep 'em coming.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
Actually thought the game was getting away from us at a certain point in that second half. I thought the Pogba sub was the right one. He was great in the first half, but poor in the second. The ref? I mean, the feck was all that about. Shocking. Two stonewall penalties for us without a doubt.

Loved seeing Lingard getting the winner after what happened to him in the week. A huge result after what happened to City yesterday. Lovely stuff.

suheilsworld

Good win against an in form team who always have a habit of raising their game. Referee was hell bent on stealing our points.
Maguire needs to sort his indecisiveness.
Lingard can probably be given a run to rest Bruno.
Sancho should get a decent run but can’t see that happening with Pogba playing on left.
Can’t wait to have Cavani back. In games like this when we ate chasing a winner, would love to see us play with two up front - would love to see Cavani and CR with Cavani pulling defenders with his runs and creating spaces for CR

All in all a good win. Get the double now and ensure we don’t fall early in the race to get a trophy. Tough game with Antonio up front now. Would love to see Varane playing and marking him.

Cpt Negative

this is my biggest issue with Ole - playing both Fred and McTominey slows us down and hampers our attacking. Fred is just a clueless headless chicken with limitless energy. Moyes actually had the perfect gameplan against us today - we created very little with all the possession that we had.
First away game with McFred and the first away game we were in control of. This was probably the game we’ve dominated most all season. Fabianski made two great saves.

suggest you go and watch the games against Southampton and Wolves to see what happened in the other away games

CG1010

Pogba-Bruno-Ronaldo trio have been great so far, creating nice little partnerships, especially Bruno with both of them. Can't wait for Rashford to get fit and restart the Shaw-Rashford partnership too. And Greenwood being the deadly predator on the right. Teams would get swamped under the pressure if we could somehow play all of them and still maintain our defensive balance. But I am quite hopeful of doing well as the season goes on and the new signings gel into the team.

Flying_Heckfish

We were both lucky and unlucky today.

Unlucky not to get the pens (at least 2/3), lucky with thr poor pen of theirs.

Great redemption goal and pen save today, both will go a long way.

We do need to play a bit quicker generally, you could see the times we did pick up the tempo (like after their goal) we looked much more dangerous.

Oh yeah, and we seriously need to sort out our corners. No excuses with the personnel we have in the box.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
We were both lucky and unlucky today.

Unlucky not to get the pens (at least 2/3), lucky with thr poor pen of theirs.

Great redemption goal and pen save today, both will go a long way.

We do need to play a bit quicker generally, you could see the times we did pick up the tempo (like after their goal) we looked much more dangerous.
Agree with this last paragraph, when we do quick one touch passing we cut teams apart.

MrBest

Awkward performance, not great, Ref was abysmal, justice was served at the end. What a moment for De Gea to save a penalty, he loved it. All in all, despite the lack of end product, a very very good 3 points away at West Ham. I think quite a few top teams may drop points there this year. Joint top,

Siorac

I'm still afraid that this game will turn out to be a massive collective hallucination and it actually ended 0-0. I mean, Jesse Lingard scored an absolutely breathtaking goal and then De Gea saved a penalty. I'm not sure that's even legal.

rooney2009

We are talking about Fred because he has been awful this season.
We should be buzzing after a win like this
DeGea saves a last minute penalty
Lingard scores a worldie and we win at West Ham and all you want to talk about is Fred
Good luck to you

pcaming

United are an embarrassment.
Our midfield is a serious hindrance at the moment, but like last we seem to have the firepower to mask the issue. Love the spirit of the team though. Defensively we need to up our gear and lets see how far we can go.

James_42

So happy for Lingard and De Gea, Martin Atkinson should never be allowed to ref another United game again.

Foxbatt

Tim Sherwood said he was shocked that Atkinson didn't ask to retake the penalty. He was that bad today.

Gonçalo Motta

I'm more annoyed than happy about the outcome of this match.

I just don't get how can Ole can fail so miserably 10vs11 against Young Boys but has no issues winning a 11vs12 match

Player Ratings

6.4 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 426 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • West Ham win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 28% West Ham 1:2 Man Utd
  • 15% West Ham 0:2 Man Utd