PL W FA Premier League

West Ham United 1:2 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Sun, 19 September 2021

Fitchett

Brilliant way to secure a win at the end. Atkinson still couldn't cheat his way to beat us. "Hard man" Noble being brought on to miss a last minute penalty was karma for him carrying Herrera off the pitch a few tears ago. Lingard's goal serves West Ham right for being cheapskates in not coughing up £25m to buy him, at a time when they were asking 100m for Rice. Brilliant redemption for Dave and Jesse after their European disappointments.

Nicoseth

Andrei Kanchelskis made me fall in love with Unite
Absolutely cracking game - full of controversy, drama, plenty of chances and some quality along the way. Loved it! My observations:

1. Ronaldo is not human. Unbelievable to have him back here. Should definitely have had a penalty. The incident with Coufal was not a pen though.

2. Well done, Jesse. What a way to end what must have been a very difficult week for him. Fair play.

3. Credit to Ole. He dropped the ball on Tuesday I thought - and made a lot of his own pressure coming in to this game. He got it right today.

4. Fred. Where to begin? From a human perspective, I feel for him - it's not his fault he keeps getting picked and I'm sure he wants to succeed more than anything. Having said that - dear God - it was like playing with 10 men at times today. He was awful in possession, poor with his first touch and weak in the tackle. I get that Ole wants him to play his way back into the form he was showing about a year ago but he's playing so badly right now it's hard to watch at times. Maybe sit him out for a while, get some confidence back and slowly introduce him again. But on form there's no way he should be starting for us right now.

5. DAVE SAVES. Absolutely amazing!

Fun game to watch and we're joint top of the league. I had us down to lose this game so I'm buzzing!

Tarrou

If someone had had asked me to write the perfect script for the last five minutes, I couldn’t have come up with anything better

Noble running on to save the day fecking amazing

Solid enough performance I thought, all in all

Lee565

It the same old issues of last season despite bringing in 3 quality players, still going behind all too often and still struggling to comfortably beat the opposition. I'm looking at Chelsea and so far they look far more assured in their winning performances.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
All the drama aside, it was a game we deserved to win. Shouldn't have been 1-1 at half time, the one moment they had for their goal was their only real good bit of play, and they got incredibly lucky, much like the goal we conceded vs Southampton. We created a heap of good chances, forced some excellent saves out of Fabianski. 2-2 would have felt like a robbery.

I thought our play around their congested penalty area was good, lots of quick, one touch stuff, against a good side too.

We need to get better defensively. Maguire in particular just wasn't at it today. Hopefully he can sit out the midweek fixture, but I doubt he will.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Just returned from the match.
Some observations
Atmosphere was great among the Utd fans and this being the first match I've been to at the NLS, it beats the Emirates hands down IMHO. Thoroughly enjoyed being with our away fans once again and it was great to shut up the mouthy WHU lot after we scored. From where I was standing, it was only us that was singing in the second half.

The game itself. Well after posting here watching the game on TV for a few years now, it is evident how different it is live. Took me a while to appreciate a few things. Ronaldo's movement is superb even though he doesn't have that pace over a longer distance. Over 5 metres or so, he is still quick. McFred in midfield works best than any other combination. McT in particular worked his socks off and hit some astute passes, he also broke up play well.Ole should be commended for making two good subs against a well organised side who, physically, are very difficult to break down. Their game plan was to hit on the break and maybe Antonio could have made the difference but watching it, we controlled it well even if it did take a goal to wake us up. Thereon we didn't look that troubled.

Points to work on. We still have a habit of creating our own problems. Needless dithering and mishit passes but the work rate in covering was excellent.

Rice.
Good player and it's easy to see why he'd improve us. Better than Fred IMO, and broke up a couple of attacks. Does like to drive forward even if it leads him into blind alleys but he lacked the quality support. With good players around him, he'd be able to conserve that energy. Whether we'd be spending what WHU want is a totally different issue.

Ole's management of the game was far better than Moyes'. I can't imagine what WH fans will be saying right now with regard to not spending on Jesse, and allowing Noble to run on and take a pen when he was nowhere near warmed up :lol:

Are we title challengers? Fans verdict as we left'; Need a bit more consistency but we have the quality and belief to be so.

Cpt Negative

It the same old issues of last season despite bringing in 3 quality players, still going behind all too often and still struggling to comfortably beat the opposition. I'm looking at Chelsea and so far they look far more assured in their winning performances.
Im going to disagree here. Many of our away games last season we were absolutely woeful in the first half and in a lot of games should have been out of the games but brought it back.

Wolves away had a hint of that but we defended well. We’ve conceded two away goals this season and both have been massive deflections. Don’t feel DDG has had much to do today

fergosaurus

Ronaldo and Bruno continuing to show they're operating on the same wavelength.

Delightful for Lingard after his cock-up the other night. Should do his confidence the world of good. Chuffed for big Dave as well with that save which nobody saw coming!

It was a scrappy game but West Ham would've been incredibly lucky to get a draw from a pen and a flukey deflection.

NK86

Chelsea are a top team, especially under Tuchel. If you had seen the first half, Spurs were comfortable against them. Plus there will be games where Chelsea will struggle too. Today we played very well compared to our other away games.

DrRodo

Honest worker, never posts
This new fifa rule which says Ronaldo cant get a pen sucks

Real Name

B

Yes, the refereeing was genuinely appalling; toward the end it really did appear that there was an ABU agenda going on. Ronaldo does go down easily (oh no I'm using those carry-on phrases again!), but the third one, the one near the end where Zooma took him out without touching the ball, was a clear and obvious penalty.

And yeah, Jesus Almighty. I must say I do think that Fred gets a terrible time on the matchday thread. He is clearly not in his good phase at the moment, but I love the guy and I'm sure he'll come back. Our players do have this inexcusable tendency to be human beings, and so are not consistently god like.

DDG was today though, huh?!? And Justice was done!

Finally, God I hate West Ham.
3rd one was a clear one as you'll ever see, I'm still mad about it.
Maybe I'm crazy but Fred wasn't as bad as portrayed here.

Momochiru

Great result in the end. Really happy for Lingard and DDG.

Ronaldo is insane and on another day could have had a hat trick.

I don't want to be too negative but im still really worried about Solskjaer. I though McTominay and Fred didn't really work again.

Also the change to bring on Matic in the 88th when we needed a goal was a very cowardly move. Only a moment of inspiration from Lingard and the penalty save prevented us from drawing the game.

I feel really sorry for Donny who should be playing in that midfield.
Weird post, Matic provided the assist for Lingard. Two of Ole's subs combined for the winning goal, yet people still complain.

morbidsaint

Deansgate preaching scientology with Tom Cruise
Ref was shit, but we did not play well either. Simple mistakes and lackluster
And it was slow as always. I still to this day see nothing that resembles any kind of style of play. We win yet again after a screamer, penalty save and because we have the greatest goalscorer that has ever lived. We did play well after they scored, but after 1-1 we played like shite. Doesn't help of course that the PL is corrupt to its core. How Ronaldo didn't get a penalty today can't be explained by anything else.

Simbo

I still dont think Lingard is good enough for us, to be a starter anyway, but the one thing going in Lingards favour is he will shoot at goal, and does score important goals from time to time.
Judge a player on current form, not what he did years ago. He's been one of the most productive players in the league for a good 9 months now, he's clearly good enough to start for anyone, on current form.

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
Matic is a class act. Shaw and Varane were very good. In the larger picture, Ole is learning on the job, it’s a high-wire act. Pogba tried, ran out of puff, I don’t like him in that position. Fred had ropey moments, misplacing passes, less than great decision-making. Good to see McT back, obviously we missed him. McT needed a while today, to get to the pace of the game.

Bruno excellent in creating situations. Still waiting to see what Sancho is all about. Great goal, Jesse, and superhuman save, Dave. Ronaldo great, too. The ref, Moyes, the VAR lad, and the rest of the West Ham backroom staff will be disappointed after a spirited and inventive performance.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
Some good performances from United but that second half was a little brutal. Pogba was very good in the first and poor in the second that guy needs to sort out his consistency minute to minute never mind week to week.

McTominay improves us. I liked the look of Varane second half despite that dodgy back pass.

Again though, the opposition played well. They slacked off towards the end but they’re a good side under Moyes nowadays.

gica_7

West Ham away is never easy to play but I think we played a decent game. Should have scored more than 2.

HaliRed

Well, that was something else...Quite the rollercoaster ride.

We played really well in the first half, but I felt that Bruno and Pogs tired a bit in the second which affected the speed of our movement.

McFred partnership has its uses. Can be very effective when playing against teams that like to control the ball. I feel though, against teams that like to cede possession, which we all expected West Ham to do today, it lacks the creativity needed to break these kinds of teams down. Matic was on for less than a few minutes when his incisive passive made a difference.

All three subs were good and well-timed, and I thought Varane especially had a great game. As a defender by trade, I love watching him play.

Harry was a bit hit and miss with his passing today, and I thought Shaw and AWB were a bit meh. But we did defend well as a group.

Ronaldo was Ronaldo.

Finally the officials. Some bizarre decisions out there. Hell I was getting annoyed at the double standard of calling back fouls after playing the advantage, but then the penalty decisions came into play. Just a baffling display by ref and VAR ref.

eldoherz

Poor Fred looks absolutely gassed in my opinion.

We all know he's playing poorly, but he looked half a yard slow to everything today. Honestly looks like he needs a rest more than anything. After all if he's not covering the ground he's losing a great part of his utility.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
As far as ends to a game go that was pretty satisfying. Can't stand Noble.

Would have been nice if the ref wasn't crookid. Ronaldo is theatrical but both the challenges on him were clear fouls and the first one the ref is looking straight at from a metre away.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Poor Fred looks absolutely gassed in my opinion.

We all know he's playing poorly, but he looked half a yard slow to everything today. Honestly looks like he needs a rest more than anything. After all if he's not covering the ground he's losing a great part of his utility.
It'll be an interesting centre mid pick in the league cup in midweek.
McTom is only just back, so can he start again?
Does Fred have to do another 90?

Can Matic last 90?

VDB will obviously get a full game, that's a given.

NK86

As far as ends to a game go that was pretty satisfying. Can't stand Noble.

Would have been nice if the ref wasn't crookid. Ronaldo is theatrical but both the challenges on him were clear fouls and the first one the ref is looking straight at from a metre away.
Second one too. Atkinson is shite. But the VAR cocking those both up was worse. What's the point of VAR when he cannot even ask the ref to have a look at those. Who the feck was in the VAR box, he is the bent one.

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
The massive difference today was having McT back. Without him it's a bit of a hot mess

Ibi Dreams

Feels like the first penalty De Gea has saved in about 10 years

Only managed to watch the highlights but looked like a really good match. Our win looked deserved, though we still don't really look reliable defensively.

King Eric 7

That penalty save at the end was more enjoyable than a last minute goal for some reason. Possibly because of DDG's bad record and the low expectations of the penalty being saved but it was justice done in the end. Our last penalty shout was a stonewall one and it's still difficult to believe it wasn't given.

Also great to see Jesse score and play well and it's nice to have options upfront who can come off the bench and make a good impact.

With Rashford still out and Sancho needing some time to adapt it's reassuring to see that we have decent options without them being in the starting XI for the time being.

Murder on Zidane's Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
The emotions in that last minute or so.

Denied a stonewall pen. Then of course we give up a penalty with about eight seconds left.

Would of put my house on DDG not saving it and then the elation when he did.

That being said, brutal how we look so clueless and how slow we move the ball, especially when the later game had two teams who moved the ball so well.

The Brown Bull

It's Coming Home.
Was at a function today so didn’t see a kick of the game but am delighted with the win.Always good to beat that mob.Can’t wait for motd.

MiracleInMadrid

Can't think of a player I would hate more to score that penalty than Noble. Haven't cheered liked that for a while. Get in David!

Fredo

You broke my heart!
Opta stats from Today:
  • Manchester United extended their run to 29 Premier League away games without defeat (W19 D10), the longest ever run without defeat on the road in English league history. 10 of these games have come in London, with the Red Devils winning six times and drawing four.
  • West Ham manager David Moyes has only won three of his 29 games against Manchester United in the Premier League (D7 L19), while he's winless in the seven meetings since the Red Devils became one of his former clubs (D2 L5).
  • Manchester United are unbeaten in their last 14 away games in the Premier League when conceding first (W10 D4), including a 3-1 victory in this fixture last season.
  • Manchester United's Jesse Lingard became the 47th player to score for and against West Ham in the Premier League. Excluding own goals, West Ham have had more players score for and against them than any other side in the competition.
  • Aged 36 years and 226 days, Cristiano Ronaldo is now the second-oldest player to score in consecutive Premier League appearances for Manchester United, behind only Ryan Giggs (39y 86d).

Player Ratings

6.4 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 426 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • West Ham win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 28% West Ham 1:2 Man Utd
  • 15% West Ham 0:2 Man Utd