PL D FA Premier League

Manchester United 1:1 Wolverhampton Wanderers

Post-match discussion

Sat, 22 September 2018

MonkeysMagic

It amazes me to witness to level of uncohesiveness of our attacking play, it truly is astonishing to watch a side with an insbility to miss the first defender when crossing the ball.

Whats even more astonishing is that some fans think all this can miraculously ‘tick together’ and we become a team that can out score teams by creative football. That is not going to happen without changes on the training field which requires totally different coaching set up.

MrSingh2002

Today's performance ratings

Dogshit = Valencia, Lukaku and Sanchez
Did they even feature = Mata and Lingard
Tried = Fred, Pereira and De Gea

-Dalot should retire Valencia ASAP
-Martial should be given a run of games ahead of Sanchez and see what happens
-Why the feck was Fred taken off when he was trying and had scored a good goal?

There's something fundamentally wrong with Jose as manager as he can't seem to motivate the players to perform week in week out. In an ideal world all players are self motivating but its not the case. If he can't then it's normally the manager that goes as we're not going to change the whole squad again. Not good enough.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Wolves are a decent team. There was a lot of over confidence pre match particularly considering we played away in Switzerland on Wednesday night. Changing the front 3 every game doesn't help.

RuudTom83

Playing without a right side is too much of a handicap to start every match. The left side is dangerous and exciting to watch but the right is just depressing.

Valar Morghulis

Supports
BBW
Sanchez, well, where to begin really? It's weird, he could never play for us again and I don't think I'd care or we'd miss him.
The sad thing is I honestly forgot he played for us, during the game I saw Lingard and Lukaku up trying to press and it took me like 30 seconds to remember "Oh yeah Sanchez, that's the other forward today..."

During his time at Arsenal you couldn't forget him but he is literally an anoymous member of this squad despite starting regularly, he should be embarrassed of how inconsequential he is to a squad that already is far from great as it is.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
Who for? We only have one striker
Rashford and Martial are both strikers and Martial holds the ball up better than Lukaku. He's also better at bringing others into play and he's a good finisher, probably better than Lukaku.

Lukaku has offered nothing, outside of goals, all season. That sounds crazy, I know.

Fwiw, I'm not anti Lukaku. I rate him. He's just in very poor form.

Shiva87

Worse thing is that, when I saw the games at the start of the season. I thought we have any easy start to the campaign. We could built momentum here. Now we are at the fag end of those easy games and have dropped 8 points!

Joseunited

Too many people underrating Wolves on here. They're not just another promoted side, they're arguably the best team outside the top 6.

Their defence handled our build up play better than our defence handled their counter attacks. But it came down to that poor turnover in the middle of the pitch.
Yes they are just another promoted side.

Macern

Pee pee pants
The same manager has had us in good form going into this game. Is it simply that he gave them he wrong instructions?

And both deserve blame.
3 wins, 1 draw, 2 losses, only 9 goals scored, 9 goals conceded. Come on. It has been a terrible start to the season after a terrible transfer window, after a bad season last year, at least in terms of how the team played and not judging only by points.

Mourinho has been here for over two years. He has made 10 signings and he’s the one setting up the lineups, formations, tactics. He’s clearly struggling to set up his teams offensively, and it’s especially evident at Man Utd where there was a lack of attacking style and offensive world class players when he was hired.

I’ve had enough of him.

beingshe7don

Lukaku has been dog shit for quite a few games. His goal tally is very misleading and his first touch has been pretty horrendous. Overall, the team made a mistake which cost them dearly but they didn't have an awful game. Lukaku needs to be benched and have Sanchez or Martial play up top.

BrianLy

Nothing down the right as usual. Valencia is always receiving the ball in a static position about 2/3rds of the way up the right. There is no option but to cut inside, or play it back. It just happens over and over. Despite his failings, I'd like to at least see Valencia fail to get a cross in having pushed their left-back into the corner area.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Didn't see the game (damn you 3pm KO's) but the problem is is anyone surprised by the result? No of course they're not

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Lukaku has been dog shit for quite a few games. His goal tally is very misleading and his first touch has been pretty horrendous. Overall, the team made a mistake which cost them dearly but they didn't have an awful game. Lukaku needs to be benched and have Sanchez or Martial play up top.
His goal tally isn't extraordinary either.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
We could have done with Dalot today. Valencia was so low keyed. Yes Dalot will make mistakes, but he offers us something different, and honestly, if we're not going to do well this season, I'd rather we bed him in properly. Val can be the back up, it's time now for him to take a back seat imho.

I also noticed that Lingard and Lukaku were more involved in the game once Sanchez went off. That Fred sub killed us I think.

I know Fellaini was ok today, but the reason I wanted him gone was so Jose wouldn't resort to using him in the lump the ball scenario. If he wasn't there, maybe Jose would be forced to come up with a better Plan B.

Cathy Ferguson

Mane, Salah, Firmino were all available för reasonable fees when we bought other players for higher fees, plus Klopp has an idea of how to play attacking football.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
I will stick to what I have said from the beginning. We are going to find it difficult to come top 4. Forget about top 3.
That was my opinion before the start of the season too. Think we're in a battle for 4th with Spurs and Arsenal. Dont think we were too bad today, but our level of control in midfield is horrendous. Teams cut through us with such ease while we struggle to create decent chances.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
The sad thing is I honestly forgot he played for us, during the game I saw Lingard and Lukaku up trying to press and it took me like 30 seconds to remember "Oh yeah Sanchez, that's the other forward today..."

During his time at Arsenal you couldn't forget him but he is literally an anoymous member of this squad despite starting regularly, he should be embarrassed of how inconsequential he is to a squad that already is far from great as it is.
It's one of our top 3 issues at the moment for sure.

How has a guy who was top 5 In the Premier league not that long ago, come in and not even slightly lifted the team's performance.
Is it him? Is it our setup? Probably a good mix of the two.

It felt like one of those too good to be true deals bringing him in, like Van Persie.
Hasn't come close to backing that up.

RK

Agreed, so we cannot beat them at home? Forget beating them who created more and better chances? Who played better? So if we are going to struggle against arguably the 7th best side in the league at home, then what chance do we have of getting top 4, (forget title race)?
We can beat them at home and it's still a disappointing result. I'm just saying we're less likely to beat them at home than most people on here seem to believe, given the extreme reactions. It reads like the 2-2 v Fulham.

We're still in the running for top 4.

r0663664

Worships Man City
Forget about title. City and Liverpool are cruising to victory home and away while we struggle with Wolves, Brighton, Leicester and etc. Pathetic! Sir Alex looking on, what a shame. The team was even ready to beat to championship promoted team. Shame on Jose and the players.

RedOldBoy

Our attacking trio was absolute garbage today. Lingard just isn't United quality and Sanchez has been quite honestly terrible. Hopefully we'll see more of Martial and Rashford as the season progresses. Lukaku is undroppable at the moment since there is no other striker in our squad capable of playing the way Mou wants him to. It would be more sensible if Lukaku was replaced by Fellaini taking into account the way we're playing. Also our midfield seems to be quite decent. Defo we need to sort out the centre-back position with Lindelof looking shaky and Valencia seems past it

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Mane, Salah, Firmino were all available för reasonable fees when we bought other players for higher fees, plus Klopp has an idea of how to play attacking football.
Absolutely no certainty any of them would do as well for us.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
That's the bottom line.

Special mention to Valencia, Lukaku, Sanchez and Mata. 1/10 performances.

Did Valencia even cross it once? Every fecking time, take a touch, come inside and pass back. Criminal. Coward.
Hope Dalot has a good game during the week then I would keep him in. If he persists with Valencia, then I give up.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Garbage on the xG. Not a single good chance.

Stand by what I said last week and I got abused by a load of other posters.

We haven’t controlled a single game this season. Even midweek Young Boys were all over us for the first 35 minutes.
You’re not wrong mate. xG bears that out. We got away wins but the results flattered us. Look at City today if you want to see what a dominant away performance looks like.

hobbers

You knew we'd be going backwards in terms of performance today when you saw Sanchez, Lingard and Valencia in the starting eleven.

Taking Fred off was also a very bad idea, especially for Mata. As if our right wing wasn't impotent enough already.

Lukaku and Lingard are just bang average premier league players. They'll look like worldies in fits and starts but more often than not put a well organised side in front of them and they will fail to produce.

Robbo's Shoulder

Supports
United and Barrow AFC
Wolves played really well and looked liked a proper team, we just seem to be a team of individuals with no cohesion or gameplan.
Lukaku was awful as was Sanchez yet again. Every game seems like groudhog day. Same old.

tob

Mourinho’s midfield rotation after halftime changed the outcome of this game.

His eager to get that second goal cost us their equaliser. Don’t get why he would change Fellaini’s position from protecting the back four to play more forward - leaving Fred to cover that lower space instead.

I thought the first half display from our midfield trio looked good and very promising. Fellaini looked better than Matic - keeping it nice and easy. Letting Fred and Pogba to do what they do best.

Mourinho should’ve put more time and faith in that midfield and instead substitute one, or two, of the front three players if he wanted a second goal early.

Lukaku, Sanchez, Lingard and Lindelöf wasn’t at their best today. Valencia was ok but we need so much more from our right back. Shaw was very good, but I still want him to put another gear in the attack.

Overall, I’m not that disappointed over our play. Just the result and the lack of attacking ability from our forward players that is frustrating.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
The most damning part of the whole thing was that Wolves looked way better coached. Both in attack and defence they looked way more structured. Sums the whole thing up with this club at the moment.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Shitty shitty performance from Lukaku, I think is the worst game he had played for us.

Great game by Pogba and Shaw, they drived all the attacking game, and can please someone explain me how Alexis is still starting games? Lingard, Mata, Valencia, Martial should be ashamed, what a poor performance
Yes they are a good side, so you should be thinking why that is and why they play as a team.

reddevil702

Valencia should be nowhere near the starting XI. Lukaku was horrible, and his lack of movement today really killed any attack we had. Need to start considering Sanchez rotating at the 9 and Martial moving into the XI if he doesn’t improve. 1-1 is an accurate reflection of the game.

Ludens the Red

What's wrong with Fred. Midfield wasn't the problem at all.
Mate they’re fecking shite. I’m sorry but they are. Compared to other sides who we should be competing with our MF falls spectacularly short of the level it needs to be at. And I don’t mean just today where for once Fred managed to not be completely useless. In general, is just not good enough really. What are our midfield actually good at?
Pass and move? No
Pressing and winning the ball back? No
Being solid? No
Being a goal threat ? No

Man of the Match

Paul Pogba image Paul Pogba 34% of 488 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

5.3 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 375 ratings.