PL D FA Premier League

Manchester United 1:1 Wolverhampton Wanderers

Post-match discussion

Sat, 22 September 2018

Redderp

We could've really used a good performance from one of the attacking players today. None of them impressed.

Pogba, Fred, Fellaini (and Pereira) all did their parts and more I'd say.
It’s a coaching issue. Our offense is just not working. Not one player have been able to flourish in the front 3. You have the odd good game here and there, but overall our front 3 just isn’t working no matter who we play up there.

Motorman

De Gea: same old, good and solid

CBs: did a job.

Shaw: did pretty well, solid defensively.

Valencia: one dimensional, nothing to boast about going forward.

Pogba: stepped up to the plate, great game in my eyes. MOTM

Fellaini: thought he was awkward, but wasnt great.

Sanchez: as has been said, just neither here nor there. Doesnt look anything special one bit.

Lingard: thought he did well first half, good feet.

Fred: up and down, bit erratic but worked hard and deserved the goal.

Lukaku: worst performance ive seen from him. Shocking. Waited for everyball, offered nothing. Very poor.

Ludens the Red

This just feels like the 2013/2014 season. It's that simple really. You just knew those wins were false dawns and it wouldn't be long before it was back to mediocrity. It's just a team that just looks completely hopeless. It says something when I'm sitting there watching the game jealous of Wolves' midfield. Let that sink in, I'm watching Man United against Wolves, supporting United and I'm envious of Wolves' central midfield players.
I'm sorry but we're starting games with Fred and Fellaini in midfield, I'm hardly Pogba's number one fan but feck me it must be soul destroying playing alongside players like Fellaini and Fred, just a complete lack of any sort of technical ability and tactical awareness.
And ffs Mourinho, you don't help yourself when you keep picking players having absolutely mediocre seasons, Lingard and Sanchez have been complete dog shit this season, it's time for a spell on the sidelines.

BlueHaze

I don't even know what to say anymore.... Top 4 is definitely gone imo. Completely shattered my heart seeing Fergie back at OT only to watch that pathetic performance. I've lost patience long time ago with the inconsistency under Mourninho, you never feel secure about 3 points against any opposition under him. I don't care what anyone says, he is not a good manager anymore.

Eddy_JukeZ

We just don't create enough chances.

We won't get by with De Gea saving us and us scoring so efficiently from the little we do create every single game.

We barely threatened the GK all game.

Season has already turned into another top 4 scrap.

ManUtd1999

I got pelters when I said we are mediocre side when everyone was raving about the win against Real sorry Watford. ...

This side is the shits, and with Mourinho at the helm it will be another wasted season.

The board need to sack Mourinho and then boot out Lingard, Valencia,Bailly, Sanchez, Mata, Herrera, Rashford, Fellaini, Martial in fact the only half decent player we have is DDG.
This is not how a football club is managed.

Mr Anderson

Eats, shoots, leaves
Most of our attackers appear pointless currently. Worst game I’ve seen Rom play in every aspect of his play, he was atrocious - and I like him so nothing against him. Jesse and Alexis ran but done nothing with the ball. Mata was similar, Martial looked more up for it but again nothing came of it. No wonder long ball is our other outlet when no matter the forward on the pitch it’s same old same old.

Valencia and Linde also fill me we absolutely no confidence.

sam147

Jose out its as simple as that. He had backing but thats one of the worst decisions ive seen. No Journo will ask him why he switched Fellaini Mr STABILITY from DM to CAM and put Pogba as a DM.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
Worth noting I thought Pogba and Shaw both had good matches. Andreas looked fine when he came on too, plus he got on so that's something.

Jose plays such percentage football that if the striker isn't good, we're getting nowhere.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Really the manager’s fault? Christ!
Of course it's the manager's fault. He's in his third year and proving to be utterly average. We need someone with more coaching house when it comes to attacking football and fluidity in possession. Mourinho is failing and we need to move on.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
:confused:

He’s the one who has bought the players and decided on tactics and playstyle. Of course it’s his fault when the team is not performing over time.

Are you suggesting that it’s the players’ fault? If so, was it the players’ fault that we finished 7th under Moyes and not the managers fault?
The same manager has had us in good form going into this game. Is it simply that he gave them he wrong instructions?

And both deserve blame.

Zoo

Disappointing but have to say Wolves are a tough team, we needed that second goal.

Hated the last 5 minutes we always resort to hoofing and taking speculative shots the players need to be more patient and work the ball better.

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
Can understand the disappointment, but from a neutral point of view, that was one of the better games I've seen this season. Really open great play by both teams, and for the first time for ages you really pushed in the last 15 - admittedly the last 5 turned into long ball hit and hopes. Lukaku was frustrating another day and you could of scored 2 in the last ten mins.

mav_9me

But you still have a very poor squad of players when compared when teams like City and Liverpool. No matter who came over us we would struggle to get top 4 with the squad we have.
Agree about being behind City and Liverpool.

Disagree about struggle for top 4. We should be so much better than this with our squad. I think the squad is good enough to be top 4 easy but Jose is severely underachieving.

RK

Too many people underrating Wolves on here. They're not just another promoted side, they're arguably the best team outside the top 6.

Their defence handled our build up play better than our defence handled their counter attacks. But it came down to that poor turnover in the middle of the pitch.

Judas

Open to offers
How many shots on target did we actually have? It's not like we were peppering their goal. It was the usual story of us getting to a certain point on the pitch and looking totally clueless mixed in with terrified.

Morpheus 7

Wolves are a good side, typical United. Three steps forward and another one back. This team is infuriating at the minute. We are in September chatting about a top 4 battle, bad times. Periera should have started this game, gave us energy. The subs were awful otherwise. The bang it up to Fellaini is becoming tiresome when we are trailing. Valencia is a joke, crossing at the half way line and not ever in the final third. Shaw and Pogba were excellent and Periera was good when he came on, everyone else bang average. Too many not showing up for us.

Ban

This just feels like the 2013/2014 season. It's that simple really. You just knew those wins were false dawns and it wouldn't be long before it was back to mediocrity. It's just a team that just looks completely hopeless. It says something when I'm sitting there watching the game jealous of Wolves' midfield. Let that sink in, I'm watching Man United against Wolves, supporting United and I'm envious of Wolves' central midfield players.
I'm sorry but we're starting games with Fred and Fellaini in midfield, I'm hardly Pogba's number one fan but feck me it must be soul destroying playing alongside players like Fellaini and Fred, just a complete lack of any sort of technical ability and tactical awareness.
And ffs Mourinho, you don't help yourself when you keep picking players having absolutely mediocre seasons, Lingard and Sanchez have been complete dog shit this season, it's time for a spell on the sidelines.
What's wrong with Fred. Midfield wasn't the problem at all.

Canagel

Crossing is pointless as he never makes a near post run. He waits for the PERFECT cross onto the six yard box to have an effective header tap in.

A centre forward who doesn't do centre forward play.
Yes and it doesn't work like that. If he isn't being supplied with crosses he can't do anything. When has Lukaku ever scored a goal that was unexpected or by taking a chance? He doesn't have the instinct. It always has to be a clear cut chance in front of goal and it doesn't work like that anywhere. The best strikers have to create something from nothing when the game is tight.

liamp

8 points behind already after 6 games. Wow.
The worst part about this is that we'll likely be 8 points behind 2 clubs and 6 points behind another. I'm not even sure we're competing for top 3 at this point.

r0663664

Worships Man City
We will be out of top 6 pass 1/3 of the season. What a joke? I wonder Jose knows what is wrong???? Sanchez is playing poorly by his standard. Valencia has to be drop, he can longer go pass his man or even put in a decent cross. Lingard still having a hangover from too much partying. De Gea will win player of the season again, we might have only 1-2 points if not for his performance. How my Man Utd being destroy by Jose insistence on underperforming players week in and week out.

R'hllor

This isnt thing about winning vs style, its not even about us scoring or not, just watching us play, dont see even basic elements of football, its actually amazing to observe. Even on level of desire,biting for every ball, Sir Alex return on OT, crowd was all up for it and instead of having a go and scare the living shit in them, they produce that?!

86th min of the game, we are kinda "pushing" for a win and Valencia standing closer to half line in their half. What is it? Is he scared, is that order from the bench?

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Very incoherent performance. Once again a team gets at our goal with far greater ease than we get at theirs. We had no width and no real partnerships on the pitch. Wolves were the better side.

Valencia is a shocking full back in a side looking to attack at home. He’s a defender and nothing more. Won’t attack a man, won’t run wide, just takes the cowardly option every time. I hate the fact that he is our captain.

Pogba looked a class above. Often gave the team an extra second when he turned a defender and found some space for a dribble or a pass. Everyone else looked hurried and paniced. I cannot understand anyone who thinks we would be better off without him. I know he was tackled for the Wolves goal, but if Fred had bothered to get back after previously losing the ball, it may have been different.

Mourinho’s subs are a worry. They just look confused. Fellaini operated a target man in Martial’s inside left channel and so had no space. Mata came on when we switched to a long ball strategy. Just a mess.

I thought we were headed the right way, but that was a real mediocre performance.

Vadim

So what excuses are the Mourinho fanboys going to come up for that shit show now?
Does it always have to be one person or factor's fault?

It wasn't Jose's fault that Lukaku looked like a Championship player today. Or that Valencia didn't play well.

Jose needs to take blame, yes. But it's not all on him.

mav_9me

Too many people underrating Wolves on here. They're not just another promoted side, they're arguably the best team outside the top 6.

Their defence handled our build up play better than our defence handled their counter attacks. But it came down to that poor turnover in the middle of the pitch.
Agreed, so we cannot beat them at home? Forget beating them who created more and better chances? Who played better? So if we are going to struggle against arguably the 7th best side in the league at home, then what chance do we have of getting top 4, (forget title race)?

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
The worst part about this is that we'll likely be 8 points behind 2 clubs and 6 points behind another. I'm not even sure we're competing for top 3 at this point.
This is a dead season. Mourinho will be gone next year & we'll push the reset button for the third time in 6 years. Only chance we have at top-4 is if Arsenal & Tottenham are shitter than us. Top-3 already decided imho.

Neo_Mufc

Most of our attackers appear pointless currently. Worst game I’ve seen Rom play in every aspect of his play, he was atrocious - and I like him so nothing against him. Jesse and Alexis ran but done nothing with the ball. Mata was similar, Martial looked more up for it but again nothing came of it. No wonder long ball is our other outlet when no matter the forward on the pitch it’s same old same old.

Valencia and Linde also fill me we absolutely no confidence.
I love Valencia but I'm sorry he just doesn't offer much to the team on that right hand side. He really does look aged and lost a yard of pace.

We've gone from Mr reliable who can make a run, get an assist albeit doing that same drag back pass to him hovering near the touch line. When he does get the ball he's never going to burst past a defender or even make anyone afraid.

All our attacks predominantly come from that left side with Shaw because he's a proper LWB. I'd rather take a risk and bring Dalot in.

mav_9me

I will stick to what I have said from the beginning. We are going to find it difficult to come top 4. Forget about top 3.

Man of the Match

Paul Pogba image Paul Pogba 34% of 488 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

5.3 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 375 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Wolves win
  • Draw