FA D FA Cup FA Cup 3rd Round

Wolverhampton Wanderers 0:0 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Sat, 04 January 2020

bsCallout

What a bunch of whining nobodies on this site, decent display all round, yet always something to moan about. These people I'm sure live in a utopian world where United win every game, playing fantastic football, but reality is, we have a weak squad, due to poor investment over the years, a very young strike force today, and this poor team competed well against a very good side.
Yeah, I mean expecting atleast a shot on target is unreasonable.

Paul_Scholes18

We had zero shots on target.
There are some people commenting on here as if we did well.
Standards have hit rock bottom. I never thought I'd see/hear/read that MUFC fans are quite at ease with us have zero shots on target.
Ole and the team are bad at their jobs, but the fans seem to now have the mentality that zero shots on target or mid-table is where we belong.
I for one, will not allow my standards to be lowered. We should be creating many chances and having Wolves scared to play us. That's how good we used to be. Teams did not want to be drawn against MUFC. And now look at us.
We should have had a pen and hit the bar. Deserved to win the game more than Wolves although a draw was fair.
Wolves away is a bloody hard game and we had a pretty weak side playing. Most people expected us to get beaten so given that you should say that it was a good game.

Our problems do not come from this game, but from many others.

Forevergiggs1

Supports
United
This no shots on target thing is a bit of a red herring... We hit the bar (with a shot that was going on target) and came incredibly close to scoring on another occasion.

Wolves only had one one or two chances themselves.

Really need to improve on our long range shooting though.
It certainly is a bit of a red herring. Seems like it has to be a goal or a goal line clearance before it's classed as a shot on target. Rashfords original shot was definitely on target before it looped onto the bar.

Monkey bus

Saw the lineup and thought we’d get pumped. What did people expect starting with Mata and Matic in midfield?
Will take that result with the players we had available.
Williams definitely should replace Shaw and James needs a break.
Big test for Ole whether he gives Romero an extended run. Deserves it.

Reactions: Rood

Paul_Scholes18

Saw the lineup and thought we’d get pumped. What did people expect starting with Mata and Matic in midfield?
Will take that result with the players we had available.
Williams definitely should replace Shaw and James needs a break.
Big test for Ole whether he gives Romero an extended run. Deserves it.
Mata and Matic also played well I think.

Shimo

It was an okay performance considering the attacking players we had out there. Only thing I am really perplexed about is what the game plan from Ole was. We had 2 wide men in Chong and James out there and to me it seemed like Chong had every opportunity to get the byline and put a cross in if he wanted to but, Greenwood was never in the box and no runs in from midfield either. So what was the actual plan to fashion scoring chances with that front 4?

Chong to me actually had one of his better games as well. He needs to build on that.

Greenwood was utter trash in the second half but, I think he was out there doing whatever with no actual direction.

Rashford was too slow to take his chance and we absolutely should have had a penalty. Michael Oliver to me without a doubt has had a clear goal to show that he doesn't favor United by making some really terrible calls. He should never be in charge of a United game.

Strelok

Standards have hit rock bottom. I never thought I'd see/hear/read that MUFC fans are quite at ease with us have zero shots on target.
Ole and the team are bad at their jobs, but the fans seem to now have the mentality that zero shots on target or mid-table is where we belong.
I for one, will not allow my standards to be lowered. We should be creating many chances and having Wolves scared to play us. That's how good we used to be. Teams did not want to be drawn against MUFC. And now look at us.
Can't agree more.

Chong, Greenwood, James sure have everything to scare the shit out of those Wolves. They must bang in at least 4 goals, oh no 5 maybe 6. Only that could satisfy me and my fecking standard.

This is a post match thread, where we should discuss about the match. To moan about the sad state of our club you have plenty other threads out there. Go there and moan.

Our young lads and the team did well today, give them some fecking credit ffs.

Had the same thought tbh.

Maybe that fat cnut was right, not only our club but a large portion of our fans seem pretty out of touch with reality I think.

Last edited:

Forevergiggs1

Supports
United
Looking at the lineup I am happy to take a draw and reading the post match thread even happier on skipping the game and rather going to the gym.
How was Williams against Traore?
Williams did OK to be fair to him. Got skinned a few times which was to be expected but didn't lose his nerve and was quite lively in attack. Well as lively as you can be with that sort of team performance.

Kostur

海尔的老板
What a bunch of whining nobodies on this site, decent display all round, yet always something to moan about. These people I'm sure live in a utopian world where United win every game, playing fantastic football, but reality is, we have a weak squad, due to poor investment over the years, a very young strike force today, and this poor team competed well against a very good side.
Yeah, people expecting some stupid shit like shots on target, bunch of entitled cnuts. What are we, prime Barcelona to have a shot on target?

Not really sure why people are celebrating a replay either. We're already short on options, it's yet another game into the schedule, iirc before the Liverpool match, more fatigue, more chances of getting injured. I'd rather it went either way today.

kundalini

I didn't see the match. How did we play?
It was generally a quiet match, though with a few moments of excitement.

- a super save from Romero prevented them from scoring in the first half, after a Wolves header went to a player free at an angle
- Williams won the ball in their penalty area but was already on the way down so no penalty given. Correct decision
- 2nd half they hit the near post from a tight angle but Romero had it covered
- Mata had a free-kick just wide on the keeper's side but he anticipated it going to the near post so would have been a goal if on target.
- Rashford had a chance, delayed for ages then saw his shot take a huge deflection, then hit the bar
- Wolves scored a header but on closer viewing the ball went head to arm to net so disallowed.
- Traore attempted 12 dribbles, succeeding with 10. He dominated the 2nd half.

United's starting 11 played ok. Despite having 12 shots, most were attempts from distance that were either blocked or nowhere near the target. As a team we were perhaps a bit short on creativity, and when we did get crosses in, Greenwood never seemed to be in the area. Would have liked to see James and Chong make more runs off the ball. We seemed a bit too static when in possession in the first half.

Last edited:

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
Both teams presented an alternative starting 11, so the football would either be an amount of errors or players too conservative trying to commit little to no mistakes. No team showed enough ambition IMHO and the result is fair, even if Wolves had a pinch more of salt in their game.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
If ‘a decent display all round’ is one where we can’t force a single shot on target against John Ruddy, Conor Coady, Leander Dendoncker and somebody named M Kilman, we really need to pack the sport away.

buckooo1978

Williams coped ok with Traore I felt

otherwise we were all sorts of average and dull

DVG7

Sky sports news headline is “man Utd hold wolves to force replay” as if it’s some sort of an achievement

Asger

Absolute wank. Another two hours I’ll never get back for absolutely nothing. They haven’t even tried to win the game. Solskjaer is the luckiest man in the world to still be in a job. Any remaining sympathy I had for him has gone.
I think we could say the same about all our players that have been getting paid last few years.

El Zoido

I don’t think we played all that badly. The side was heavily changed, a bit mishmash really. Normally a draw away at Wolves would be considered a good result. We’re a bit uninspiring really, not awful and not a disaster, but it’s not clicking is it.

mu4c_20le

I don’t think we played all that badly. The side was heavily changed, a bit mishmash really. Normally a draw away at Wolves would be considered a good result. We’re a bit uninspiring really, not awful and not a disaster, but it’s not clicking is it.
Inspiration comes from players like Martial and Rashford, who made an immediate impact when he came on. James and Mata tried hard, but ultimately weren't good enough to break them down as they sat back.

Forevergiggs1

Supports
United
Finding it more interesting tracking fernando on his bicycle with my uber eats order than watching tonights game.

TrustInOle

I was thinking the same thing. DDG's mistakes this season have cost us a tonne of points already, a spell on the bench could do him so good and serve to remind him that he isn't undroppable.

Also, I cannot recall a single costly error from Romero in any of his games. He's earned a chance.
Completely agree, I cant think of an occasion right now where Romero has made mistakes of the calibre De Gea has over the recent 18 months. If he does go eventually, I wouldn't mind putting our trust in him. Guy has atleast earnt himself that much.

Fairly sure he would have had offers from notable clubs elsewhere, 2nd choice and being of his talent, yet never makes a fuss, never pushed for a move and constantly performs when called upon.

BigLebowski007

As
This is the exact moment when I thought the same. We really lack creativity without Pogba.

Overall it wasn't a great and entertaining performance. But it was Wolves away, we lack so many players, we played a very your forward line and we didn't lose nor concede. Midfield and defense were ok. But forwards didn't create anything really. However a good learning experience for them and we didn't lose.
Solid performance from Williams too. But saying he put Traore in his pocket is a bit too much.

Edy2

LVG won this competition don't forget. :rolleyes:
Could have won it on another day had VAR actually done it's job.
I meant the same zombieball as that tenure. No attempts on target, not even a whiff of looking like breaking them down.

MrBest

Thoughts and prayers with thise who wasted the 2 hours watching this crap. I will always support this club but I am done watching them play. My eyes cannot take this anymore. All the Ole in guys, hope you are breathing this in, your style and your vision.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
And a mentality that FA Cup is a competition we could do without. Absolutely fecking bonkers. It's the FA Cup ffs.

Still ill

Fantasy Football Champ 2018
Thoughts and prayers with thise who wasted the 2 hours watching this crap. I will always support this club but I am done watching them play. My eyes cannot take this anymore. All the Ole in guys, hope you are breathing this in, your style and your vision.
A mild over reaction. No?

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
We didn’t have a shot on target but some think we did okay...

By our current standards, we did okay.
This no shots on target thing sounds terrible, but Rashford hit the bar, and Mata was about 6 inches wide!

We've had other games where we've had a few pea rollers that were never going in.

We didn't overly look in much worry at the back either, and had a pretty weak lineup out.

There's more positive to today than negative.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
You know that this club doesn’t have a right to be the best in the country or even one of the best in the country, nor has it been for large periods of its history. Watching them for a bit of Saturday night entertainment is not what football was about.

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
Go away. Bye.

Feed Me

I'm hungry
This no shots on target thing sounds terrible, but Rashford hit the bar, and Mata was about 6 inches wide!

We've had other games where we've had a few pea rollers that were never going in.

We didn't overly look in much worry at the back either, and had a pretty weak lineup out.

There's more positive to today than negative.
We did okay in my view.

Romero should get a run, the CBs looked competent, Williams should be in ahead of Shaw.

It’s pretty slim pickings though and that we think it was okay is a reflection of where we are at now.

This is how life is for United, I guess.

Full bodied red

Mata and Matic also played well I think.
Me too.

Unfashionable to say it on here, but I thought both of them were OK tonight.

Biggest disappointment for me was Greenwood. Showed that he isn't yet ready to take on defences on his own when they don't have Martial and Rashford to defend against and he kind of sneaks in on their coat tails.

And Williams - lots of aggro on here against Shaw that he doesn't get forward enough, but watching Williams tonight although he gets forward more often, the end product is no better than Shaw and his defending isn't yet as good as Shaw.

Having said all that, not a great performance but an improvement over Wednesday night.

Dick Dastardly

Supports
Wrexham
That was the worst game of football I’ve seen for a long time. Slow, disjointed and totally lacking of any perceived plan. Both teams were very poor.

NormansDarkSide

All you so called fans moaning about shelling out for the replay, easy opt out when given the choice. You won't be moaning if it helps get a final ticket eventually/maybe! Will you. I know unlikely but still. We're fans try and support, we're not great at the mo (pretty shite actually) was a better performance than I thought it would be.

Reactions: Grinner

Player Ratings

5.4 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 208 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Wolves win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 25% Wolves 2:0 Man Utd